Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

The "PX" Device on Ghost Adventures

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1    Rock-Star

Rock-Star

Astral Projection

• Validating
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 694 posts

Posted 04 February 2011 - 04:23 PM

I was watching a recent episode of Ghost Adventures and they brought out what they said was their newest piece of equipment called the PX. They introduced it with a clip of a vaguely "scientist" looking guy who is supposedly the device's inventor explaining it to Zak. He stated that he created this electronic device with a 2,000 word vocabulary that enables the "spirits" to speak through it in complete sentences. This was all just proclaimed very matter-of-factly, with no explanation as to why or how the heck this would work, or how this idea would have been inspired. Has anyone heard anything about this device? It was cracking me up on the show...they had this thing sitting in a room, and now and then it would spit out these random robotic sounding words "will....kill!", "hi", "Elizabeth", and so on. The team reacted in their usual melodramatic manner and it was really quite humorous.

In general, I love how they talk about things on this show in absolutes, like all this technology is matter-of-fact, and no explanation is required as to how things work. This very same episode also featured "The worlds foremost experts in capturing EVP's!". How exactly does one become an expert at these things? Can one person be better than another at holding a digital recorder and asking stupid questions? I did honestly enjoy this show for a time in the past, purely for entertainment value, but it is simply becoming too ludicrous even for fleeting entertainment. I guess in general this topic isn't so much a question, but more a commentary on the dubious "technology" featured on this show and the like.

#2    Grape Soda

Grape Soda

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 302 posts

Posted 04 February 2011 - 05:06 PM

ugh.....i don't see how anything on those shows can be entertaining outside of laughing at the absurdity of the false claims or the over the top melodramatic acting of the hosts.

this PX device sounds like the "ghost radar" application i have on my phone. for those that are not aware of this smartphone app: what it does is display a radar-esque screen that will show random blips and randomly it will display a random word, along with audio texting app, will "say" the word aloud in a robotic voice.  obviously this app is just for laughs and has no ACTUAL scientific basis........much like what this PX device sounds like.

a part of me is appalled that these kind of shows just pull out random devices as "proof" of the paranormal, and the excuse of: "HEY, LOOK! WE HAVE A SCIENTIFIC LOOKING GUY THAT SAYS THIS WORKS!" for a device that no one has heard of nor has any weight or bearing on any sort of paranormal research (like the GH K2 meter......sigh) outside of someone says that if it does "X" that means it is a "ghost" without any sort of explanation as to WHY or HOW the device actually does what they say it does.

Edited by Grape Soda, 04 February 2011 - 05:08 PM.

#3    Magster

Magster

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 47 posts

• ...really?

Posted 04 February 2011 - 06:00 PM

Grape Soda, on 04 February 2011 - 05:06 PM, said:

ugh.....i don't see how anything on those shows can be entertaining outside of laughing at the absurdity of the false claims or the over the top melodramatic acting of the hosts.
I think that's exactly what the OP was saying.

My question: Did the "scientist" looking guy have normal hair? We all know that the best scientists have crazy hair.;)

I'm hesitant to tell anyone that anything isn't paranormal. The individual is the only one who knows what they saw, heard, felt. But I think a person must live in well-insulated, sanitized box to believe that everything is beyond normal.

#4    Rock-Star

Rock-Star

Astral Projection

• Validating
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 694 posts

Posted 04 February 2011 - 06:12 PM

Grape Soda, on 04 February 2011 - 05:06 PM, said:

a part of me is appalled that these kind of shows just pull out random devices as "proof" of the paranormal, and the excuse of: "HEY, LOOK! WE HAVE A SCIENTIFIC LOOKING GUY THAT SAYS THIS WORKS!" for a device that no one has heard of nor has any weight or bearing on any sort of paranormal research (like the GH K2 meter......sigh) outside of someone says that if it does "X" that means it is a "ghost" without any sort of explanation as to WHY or HOW the device actually does what they say it does.

Yep, EXACTLY!!

Magster, on 04 February 2011 - 06:00 PM, said:

I think that's exactly what the OP was saying.

My question: Did the "scientist" looking guy have normal hair? We all know that the best scientists have crazy hair.;)

No, unfortunately the hair was pretty normal  :lol:

#5    Ghostfinder

Ghostfinder

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 253 posts

Posted 04 February 2011 - 08:59 PM

I don't understand how you can argue with a machine that ghosts can talk through.  Especially one created by a scientist.  I think it's about time that ghosts are given the same rights to communicating as those if us that have enjoyed this privilege for years.

#6    Ryu

Ryu

Born to fail.

• 3,738 posts

• One often meets his destiny on the road he takes to avoid it. ~ Master Oogway, Kung Fu Panda

Posted 04 February 2011 - 09:15 PM

Ghostfinder, on 04 February 2011 - 08:59 PM, said:

I don't understand how you can argue with a machine that ghosts can talk through.  Especially one created by a scientist.  I think it's about time that ghosts are given the same rights to communicating as those if us that have enjoyed this privilege for years.

:blink: Are..are you serious?

This device is total bull beans just like everything else on their stupid show. If ghosts can do all sorts of stuff such as making objects fly across the room or re-arrange furniture then would it kill them to pick up a bleedin' piece of paper and a pen and actually write something?

Furthermore if this "EVP" (Electronic Voice Phenomenon) was true (which it isn't) then what would they need a pathetic "PX" device for?
Anyways with all of its predictability, I am surprised the show is still on the air.

#7    Ghostfinder

Ghostfinder

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 253 posts

Posted 04 February 2011 - 09:53 PM

Ryu, on 04 February 2011 - 09:15 PM, said:

:blink: Are..are you serious?

This device is total bull beans just like everything else on their stupid show. If ghosts can do all sorts of stuff such as making objects fly across the room or re-arrange furniture then would it kill them to pick up a bleedin' piece of paper and a pen and actually write something?

Furthermore if this "EVP" (Electronic Voice Phenomenon) was true (which it isn't) then what would they need a pathetic "PX" device for?
Anyways with all of its predictability, I am surprised the show is still on the air.

Oh...so now you thing that ghosts should be expected to write on pen and paper and not actually be allowed to talk.  Why do you see them as second class citizens?

Yeah...Ryu, I was just kidding.  Sometimes my sarcasm doesn't come across like I think it would.

I do believe in EVP's.  However, I think this machine is ridiculous.  There's a few like it.  Some of them actually go back quite a few years or even decades.  Radio waves supposed to pick up Ghost talk and play them on a radio.  I've been on a website that sells them.  Like Rock-Star wrote, it is funny how matter of fact they say they work.

#8    Nadia B.

Nadia B.

Streaky Freak

• 3,407 posts

• Demented Momilie of the Day: There is not a tampon in this world that will give you the joy and freedom portrayed in a Tampax commercial.

Posted 04 February 2011 - 11:01 PM

The only thing I wondered was if this was just a modded dog translation device.  :lol: Yes, I know that sort of has nothing to do with any of this at all... just saying.  :ph34r:

Posted Image
Skepticism is good, but when you reach a certain level where
you're grasping at straws and making little sense... it's not
called skepticism.  It's called ignorance.
CRYPTO ENTHUSIAST GUYS ROCK!

#9    scepticalbeliever

scepticalbeliever

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 706 posts

Posted 05 February 2011 - 04:31 PM

Rock-Star, on 04 February 2011 - 04:23 PM, said:

I was watching a recent episode of Ghost Adventures and they brought out what they said was their newest piece of equipment called the PX. They introduced it with a clip of a vaguely "scientist" looking guy who is supposedly the device's inventor explaining it to Zak. He stated that he created this electronic device with a 2,000 word vocabulary that enables the "spirits" to speak through it in complete sentences. This was all just proclaimed very matter-of-factly, with no explanation as to why or how the heck this would work, or how this idea would have been inspired. Has anyone heard anything about this device? It was cracking me up on the show...they had this thing sitting in a room, and now and then it would spit out these random robotic sounding words "will....kill!", "hi", "Elizabeth", and so on. The team reacted in their usual melodramatic manner and it was really quite humorous.

In general, I love how they talk about things on this show in absolutes, like all this technology is matter-of-fact, and no explanation is required as to how things work. This very same episode also featured "The worlds foremost experts in capturing EVP's!". How exactly does one become an expert at these things? Can one person be better than another at holding a digital recorder and asking stupid questions? I did honestly enjoy this show for a time in the past, purely for entertainment value, but it is simply becoming too ludicrous even for fleeting entertainment. I guess in general this topic isn't so much a question, but more a commentary on the dubious "technology" featured on this show and the like.

They're probably trying to get one up on the other shows as the PX is just another name for GHOST BOX which some other paranormal show already had. Its not new.

#10    FlyingAngel

FlyingAngel

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,401 posts

Posted 05 February 2011 - 07:43 PM

funny how many people used the word "science" and "scientist" to backup their scam/fake show. It's not like it's going to work.

#11    Sixth

Sixth

Poltergeist

• 2,311 posts

• Scientists get funky about having their research poached

Posted 05 February 2011 - 08:04 PM

Ghostfinder, on 04 February 2011 - 08:59 PM, said:

I don't understand how you can argue with a machine that ghosts can talk through.  Especially one created by a "scientist".

I fixed that for you.

do your palms ever itch?

#12    Ghostfinder

Ghostfinder

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 253 posts

Posted 06 February 2011 - 06:30 AM

Most Good and Holy Funk, on 05 February 2011 - 08:04 PM, said:

I fixed that for you.

Thanks.   :lol:

#13    CEPA Paranormal

CEPA Paranormal

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 29 October 2011 - 05:34 AM

The question is: where has this forum gone to. Everyone's a non-believer. Listen, the "scientist" dude was Bill Chaplan. You could test out the equipment for yourself, if you want to be so objective to the device. Look up digital dowsing LLC. The px is no longer in production, however newer version is the Ovulius X and The Talker. Now, The Talker is still under research in regards with my team. I'm not the type of person and neither is my team to jump to any conclusion.

Something you should know before judging Bill Chaplann. He was a aero-engineer and robotic engineer. I believe he's quite capable and competent of knowing what he's actually doing. Now, that's all I gotta say.

In regards of Ghost Adventures, it's a show - it's entertainment. Producers need tv ratings for the show to even stay on the air. So, you're going to blame it on the crew members, try blaming on the producers. The crew actually locked into a agreement for a full season. So, in a way sometimes they have to conform to what the producers actually need; if that's of course the crew need money. I'm sure a million dollars or even hundreds of thousands would make you want to do the same.

Paul Skertich
Founder/Lead Investigator
Connecticut Extreme Paranormal Association
http://www.connecticut-paranormal.com

#14    Mark is Back

Mark is Back

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 148 posts

• "When coincidence becomes commonplace, It's not just coincidence anymore."

Posted 03 November 2011 - 02:09 PM

Actually I believe the PX is a variant of the Ovilus...

I'm not a believer in its capabilities, it's a randomized word listing (2,000 - whoopdie doo) which is a fraction of a vocabulary in which it's supposed to allow something with no prior knowledge of the list, or which level of EM (.02mg is one word .04 is another etc.) will trigger which word, and some even randomize after every word (insures less "constant" readings, or repeated words)

Total load in my opinion.. but we've yet to break one down, in discussions with the company making them - may be testing one of the new models.

The franks box thing though (ghost box to some) is totally different, and normally I'd refute it and throw it out entirely but after using one with Zaffis Sunday - the results were rather interesting...  It's back on the test table now because of that..

"Ghosts" are People too - just because they don't have a body anymore, let's call it Corporeally Challenged, it doesn't mean they don't deserve some respect or that they have to be classified as an entity of either divine evil or divine good. If they were a douche in life, they'll be a douche after life too.

#15    shaddow134

shaddow134

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,530 posts

• "I have often regretted my speech, never my silence." - Xenocrates

Posted 06 November 2011 - 02:58 AM

Mark of R.I.P., on 03 November 2011 - 02:09 PM, said:

it
Actually I believe the PX is a variant of the Ovilus...

I'm not a believer in its capabilities, it's a randomized word listing (2,000 - whoopdie doo) which is a fraction of a vocabulary in which it's supposed to allow something with no prior knowledge of the list, or which level of EM (.02mg is one word .04 is another etc.) will trigger which word, and some even randomize after every word (insures less "constant" readings, or repeated words)

Total load in my opinion.. but we've yet to break one down, in discussions with the company making them - may be testing one of the new models.

The franks box thing though (ghost box to some) is totally different, and normally I'd refute it and throw it out entirely but after using one with Zaffis Sunday - the results were rather interesting...  It's back on the test table now because of that..

I think that maybe the problem is more to do with total amateurs(Ghost Adventures) running around with some form of unproven technology and taking everything on face value with the asumption that everything is paranormal.Unfotunately T.V. programs such as this add fuel to the skeptical fire i think.

"Don't worry about the world coming to an end today. It's already tomorrow in Australia." - Charles Schulz

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users