Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Humans Would Beat Neanderthals in Marathon

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#1    Still Waters

Still Waters

Deeply Mysterious

• 43,326 posts

• Sometimes it's better to keep the mystery unexplained.

Posted 10 February 2011 - 08:33 PM

news.discovery.com said:

Humans, versus other great apes, are built for running fast and long as opposed to very impressive strength, but what about Neanderthals? If a modern human and a Neanderthal competed in a marathon, who would win?

In a short sprint, the Neanderthal might have had a chance, but most fit humans would always win longer races, suggests new research accepted for publication in the Journal of Human Evolution.

Anthropologist David Raichlen of the University of Arizona and his colleagues determined that our modern human ancestors were better runners. The researchers did this by studying the hominids' fossilized remains.

Posted Image Read more...

Posted Image

#2    tipotep

tipotep

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,233 posts

• Muchos Spectacular

Posted 11 February 2011 - 04:39 AM

Its good to see that time and money has been spent on  working this out   :wacko:  

Now really who gives a toss if we could run faster - spend your research time and money and something more productive ......

TiP.

#3    danielost

danielost

Forum Divinity

• 31,816 posts

Posted 11 February 2011 - 09:48 PM

i bet in the tundra the reverse would be true, since the neanderthal would retain his heat longer without over heating.

I am a Mormon.  If I don't use Mormons believe, those my beliefs only.
I do not go to church haven't for thirty years.
There are other Mormons on this site. So if I have misspoken about the beliefs. I welcome their input.
I am not perfect and never will be. I do strive to be true to myself. I do my best to stay true to the Mormon faith. Thanks for caring and if you don't peace be with you.

#4    angi chiesa

angi chiesa

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 273 posts

Posted 12 February 2011 - 03:55 PM

they were not raced against each other,they mated and had children. We are a mixture of both races .Just look around you next time you go out and you will see for yourself , an obvious mixture no matter what country you are in. Here in Thailand there are so many that look pure Neanderthal.

#5    Helen of Annoy

Helen of Annoy

devil's aunt

• 25,596 posts

• Where there's a will
    there's a way.

Posted 12 February 2011 - 04:09 PM

Modern humans would beat Neanderthals in marathon, but Neanderthals could beat up modern humans.  
We're fragile, too fragile.

Posted Image

Have I ever lost the plot while reading one of your posts?
The will to live maybe, but not the plot...  -  Junior Chubb

#6    d e v i c e

d e v i c e

Ambassador of Fear

• 1,747 posts

Posted 12 February 2011 - 04:44 PM

Why anyone would want to run a marathon bores me. I feel Neanderthal man wouldn't bother entering any track and field events whatsoever but would probably focus his mind on more creative persuits such as art.

Edited by Evilution13, 12 February 2011 - 04:48 PM.

#7    jknightx

jknightx

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 12 February 2011 - 05:28 PM

Neanderthal would have just bomked the modern humans on the head and befor the race started and ate modern humans.Neanderthals were more interested in survival than compentions.

#8    shadowsot

shadowsot

Nightstalker

• 9,111 posts

• Oops.

Posted 12 February 2011 - 05:52 PM

View Posttipotep, on 11 February 2011 - 04:39 AM, said:

Its good to see that time and money has been spent on  working this out   :wacko:  

Now really who gives a toss if we could run faster - spend your research time and money and something more productive ......

TiP.
What would you have an anthropologist study that would be more "productive?" Especially an anthropologist specializing in ancient man and.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.
-Terry Pratchett

#9    DontHate

DontHate

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 50 posts

• Where has our country gone?

Posted 12 February 2011 - 07:06 PM

jknightx, survival is competition.

#10    danielost

danielost

Forum Divinity

• 31,816 posts

Posted 12 February 2011 - 07:14 PM

View PostEvilution13, on 12 February 2011 - 04:44 PM, said:

Why anyone would want to run a marathon bores me. I feel Neanderthal man wouldn't bother entering any track and field events whatsoever but would probably focus his mind on more creative persuits such as art.
actually they didnt bother with art until modern humans showed up,  they were to worried about survival.  but they would probable enter track anfd field events that would help them survive.  and if they were in our modern days, they could also be some of our greatest scientists, they had a bigger brain than we do.

There are other Mormons on this site. So if I have misspoken about the beliefs. I welcome their input.
I am not perfect and never will be. I do strive to be true to myself. I do my best to stay true to the Mormon faith. Thanks for caring and if you don't peace be with you.

#11    Helen of Annoy

Helen of Annoy

devil's aunt

• 25,596 posts

• Where there's a will
    there's a way.

Posted 12 February 2011 - 08:20 PM

View Postdanielost, on 12 February 2011 - 07:14 PM, said:

actually they didnt bother with art until modern humans showed up,  they were to worried about survival.  but they would probable enter track anfd field events that would help them survive.  and if they were in our modern days, they could also be some of our greatest scientists, they had a bigger brain than we do.
Intelligence is not proportional to the size of one's brain.
For example, I bet your head is bigger than mine ;) Kidding.

They did make jewellery, so there was at least that aspect of art in their lives.

Posted Image

Have I ever lost the plot while reading one of your posts?
The will to live maybe, but not the plot...  -  Junior Chubb

#12    Jewels1958

Jewels1958

Extraterrestrial Entity

• PipPipPip
  • 393 posts

Posted 12 February 2011 - 09:02 PM

Yeah, but I bet the neanderthal would kick our butts in the shot put!!! :D

My Portfolio - Writing.com
Sensible Survival
Heaven is a good book in your hand, a cat in your lap and a warm mug of cocoa.
Lissette - My gaming alter ego - MMO junky. :p

#13    sepulchrave

sepulchrave

Psychic Spy

• 1,904 posts

Posted 12 February 2011 - 09:05 PM

View PostEvilution13, on 12 February 2011 - 04:44 PM, said:

Back in those days it wasn't called a marathon, it was called persistence hunting.

With greater stamina, early humans would have been better at this than Neanderthals.

#14    Leonardo

Leonardo

Awake

• 18,394 posts

• Hell is a guilty conscience

Posted 12 February 2011 - 09:19 PM

View Postsepulchrave, on 12 February 2011 - 09:05 PM, said:

Back in those days it wasn't called a marathon, it was called persistence hunting.

With greater stamina, early humans would have been better at this than Neanderthals.

And not just the stamina. The evolution towards a more gracile build meant we became more effective heat dissipaters (higher surface area/volume ratio), that's just basic physics.

In the cold weather, the early Homo sapiens would have been able to compete with the Neanderthals due to clothes.

In the book of life, the answers aren't in the back. - Charlie Brown

"It is a profound and necessary truth that the deep things in science are not found because they are useful; they are found because it was possible to find them."  - J. Robert Oppenheimer; Scientific Director; The Manhattan Project

"talking bull**** is not a victimless crime" - Marina Hyde, author.

#15    danielost

danielost

Forum Divinity

• 31,816 posts

Posted 12 February 2011 - 10:25 PM

View PostLeonardo, on 12 February 2011 - 09:19 PM, said:

And not just the stamina. The evolution towards a more gracile build meant we became more effective heat dissipaters (higher surface area/volume ratio), that's just basic physics.

In the cold weather, the early Homo sapiens would have been able to compete with the Neanderthals due to clothes.
neanderthals had cloths too.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users