Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Amelia Earhart spit samples to help identify

Still Waters

Amelia Earhart's dried spit could help solve the longstanding mystery of the aviator's 1937 disappearance, according to scientists who plan to harvest her DNA from envelopes.

Using Earhart's genes, a new project aims to create a genetic profile that could be used to test recent claims that her bones have been discovered.

Right now, "anyone can go and find a turtle shell and be like 'I found Amelia Earhart's remains,'" said Justin Long of Burnaby, Canada, whose family is partially funding the DNA project.The Internet-marketing executive is the grandson of 1970s aviator Elgen Long, who with his wife wrote the 1999 book Amelia Earhart: The Mystery Solved.

"We asked, How can we take wild claims like this and bring legitimacy back into the Amelia Earhart mystery?" Long said. "And so we started looking at everything at our disposal."

According to Long, Earhart's letters are the only items that are both verifiably hers and that might contain her DNA.

Some of Earhart's clothing still exists, Long said, "but when we did the research, it turned out the clothes had actually been dry-cleaned, and you can't expect dry-cleaned clothes to still have DNA."

Hair would also be a good place to look for DNA, but no hair samples from Earhart are known. The International Woman's Air and Space Museum in Cleveland was once thought to have a lock of Earhart's hair, but a 2009 study revealed that the sample was actually thread.

arrow3.gifRead more...

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Flashbangwollap

• :PsYKoTiC:BeHAvIoR:

• Myles

• Lucky7

Thanks....I've been following the Tighar expeditions for a number of years. It will be interesting if this develops into anything.

Edited by Cloudshill

Hopefully the results will once and for all close the book on her whereabouts and focus on her last efforts on the island.

I'm a little confused.

Shouldn't they do a DNA test on the bone fragment first to see if it is a turtle or anything else?

Also, how would the envelope DNA test assure it is hers?

I'm fasinated by this mystery, but I'm afraid it was nothing more than a plane crash into the ocean.

It would be wonderful news at long last to find out what happened to this woman. It may continue to be an unsolved mystery.

• 2 weeks later...

It would be wonderful news at long last to find out what happened to this woman. It may continue to be an unsolved mystery.

I wouldn't bank on it as yet because seriously what if she used a roller - damp sponge-rubber to activate the glue?

Huh they'll be thinking she was related to a tree!

I wouldn't bank on it as yet because seriously what if she used a roller - damp sponge-rubber to activate the glue?

Huh they'll be thinking she was related to a tree!

Edited by Flashbangwollap