Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

10 years of UM: Staff Q & A

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
190 replies to this topic

#1    Saru

Saru

Site Webmaster

• 20,081 posts

• "The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious." - Albert Einstein

Posted 24 February 2011 - 04:03 PM

On March 2nd 2011 it will have been exactly 10 years since Unexplained-Mysteries.com was founded, that's an entire decade of news stories, forum discussions and content from a community of members that has grown from a handful of people to one of the largest forum communities on the internet with over 90,000 members and almost 4 million posts.

To celebrate our 10th anniversary we'll be holding a couple of special forum events during the next week and will be posting up a special look back feature about the site and its history on the front page on the anniversary date itself to give long term visitors a chance to take a trip down memory lane and newcomers to see how things have changed over the years.

So to start things off we're giving you the chance to pose to myself and the UM staff any questions at all you'd like to ask about the site and forums in an open Q & A ( though keep them clean and sensible please ) - we'll be keeping tabs on this thread over the next week and will be dropping in to answer your questions when we can. On March 2nd the questions and answers will be compiled in to an article and posted up on the front page.

So without further ado i shall let someone chip in here with the first question.

Thank you. :)

Update:

The compiled write-up of the Q & A is now available to view - here.

Edited by Saru, 02 March 2011 - 12:28 PM.

#2    Yes_Man

Yes_Man

hi

• 8,265 posts

Posted 24 February 2011 - 04:14 PM

to Saru, What was the reason for you to make an unexplained-Mysteries site? and did you have an idea if it was going to be successful before you created this site?

#3    Drayno

Drayno

Draynor's Finest

• 3,707 posts

Posted 24 February 2011 - 04:25 PM

Congratulations and good job, Saru.

I am glad you made this site.

I have had many good discussions here.

"Let us sit upon the ground and tell sad stories of the death of kings."
- William Shakespeare, Richard II, Act III, Scene II

#4    ~TheBigK~

~TheBigK~

Government Agent

• 3,926 posts

Posted 24 February 2011 - 04:32 PM

Wow, that's awesome. Looking forward to seeing the finished article and trip down memory lane. :)

Posted Image

#5    Princess Serenity

Princess Serenity

✻ Qᴜᴇᴇɴ Eʟsᴀ

• 8,397 posts

• "There's nothing to fear but fear itself." Franklin D Roosevelt.

Posted 24 February 2011 - 04:52 PM

Thank you, Saru for this awsome site! (I wouldn't know where to hang out without it.)

#6    Saru

Saru

Site Webmaster

• 20,081 posts

• "The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious." - Albert Einstein

Posted 24 February 2011 - 05:10 PM

Erix said:

What was the reason for you to make an unexplained-Mysteries site?
I think the biggest influence and the thing that got me interested in the unexplained originally was a magazine that arrived in the house when i was quite young, it was the first issue of a series called The Unexplained: Mysteries of Mind, Space and Time and i couldn't put it down, it kick-started a life long interest for me in unexplained phenomena and the paranormal. The site started when i got Microsoft Frontpage Express ( a free website editor that was released around 1997 ) and decided to try making something with it, the result was a primitive site called The Encyclopedia of the Unexplained which would eventually change its name then grow and evolve over the years in to the site as it is today.

Erix said:

did you have an idea if it was going to be successful before you created this site?
None at all but then i don't think anyone can truly predict how a new site is going to turn out - you just have to wait and see what happens.

#7    Beckys_Mom

Beckys_Mom

Sarcastic Muppet..!

• 51,196 posts

• "I hate pretentious people. I mean, what is the point in applying exorbitantly extensive vocabulary, it is just straightforwardly unnecessary".

Posted 24 February 2011 - 05:43 PM

View PostSaru, on 24 February 2011 - 04:03 PM, said:

So without further ado i shall let someone chip in here with the first question.

Thank you. :)

Another quick question - When you began the site...when was it eventually become more established?   ( meaning gaining more of a response)

Did you also have to advertise your site to gain more member at the start...?

Sorry thats 2 questions

Edited by Beckys_Mom, 24 February 2011 - 05:44 PM.

Posted ImageRAW Berris... Dare you enter?

If there's a heaven...I hope to hell I get there !

#8    Saru

Saru

Site Webmaster

• 20,081 posts

Posted 24 February 2011 - 06:34 PM

Beckys_Mom said:

When you began the site...when was it eventually become more established? ( meaning gaining more of a response)
I would say the site really took off following a redesign in 2003, that was when some of the more familiar elements were introduced such as the blue/grey colour scheme, formatted front page news stories and editorial contributions.

Beckys_Mom said:

Did you also have to advertise your site to gain more member at the start...?
I did some link exchanges with other paranormal sites that were around at the time, joined a couple of web rings and submitted the site to all the search engines ( at the time the big ones were Yahoo, Lycos, Alta Vista, Infoseek etc. ) A lot of things have changed with regard to promoting a site since then.

#9    Beckys_Mom

Beckys_Mom

Sarcastic Muppet..!

• 51,196 posts

• "I hate pretentious people. I mean, what is the point in applying exorbitantly extensive vocabulary, it is just straightforwardly unnecessary".

Posted 24 February 2011 - 06:37 PM

View PostSaru, on 24 February 2011 - 06:34 PM, said:

I would say the site really took off following a redesign in 2003, that was when some of the more familiar elements were introduced such as the blue/grey colour scheme, formatted front page news stories and editorial contributions.

I did some link exchanges with other paranormal sites that were around at the time, joined a couple of web rings and submitted the site to all the search engines ( at the time the big ones were Yahoo, Lycos, Alta Vista, Infoseek etc. ) A lot of things have changed with regard to promoting a site since then.

Thanks

Another -->  Did you expect it to get as big as it is now?  

and

Did you think it would have went on for 10 years?   ( for I am sure it is a great feeling knowing something you have created took off and lasted so long)

Posted ImageRAW Berris... Dare you enter?

If there's a heaven...I hope to hell I get there !

#10    Kismit

Kismit

Telekinetic

• 7,680 posts

Posted 24 February 2011 - 07:36 PM

View PostBeckys_Mom, on 24 February 2011 - 06:37 PM, said:

Did you expect it to get as big as it is now?  

Did you think it would have went on for 10 years?   ( for I am sure it is a great feeling knowing something you have created took off and lasted so long)

I don't know about the Boss, he may of had some devine plan to make U.M. the bastion of knowledge it is Today, but originally I thought it was just a fun place to hang out and be a bit goofy. It just got really, really big. And I know back 10 years ago websites came and went over night. I think we've been really lucky to have grown the way we have.

#11    Saru

Saru

Site Webmaster

• 20,081 posts

Posted 24 February 2011 - 07:37 PM

Beckys_Mom said:

Did you expect it to get as big as it is now?

Beckys_Mom said:

Did you think it would have went on for 10 years?
As i was saying to Erix i don't think anyone could have predicted that the site would end up this size or that it would still be here ten years on, back in the beginning i was pleased just to see the daily hit counter increase by a dozen or so a day.

#12    DNO

DNO

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 155 posts

Posted 24 February 2011 - 07:40 PM

10 years! wow.
I have to say that this is one of my favourite websites of all time. I know I don't post a lot on the forums but I check this website daily for news and articles.

I have a couple of questions -

What is your most memorable moment during the 10 years?

Are you a skeptic of any topics that appear on UM?

#13    Mistydawn

Mistydawn

Feathered Feline

• 11,545 posts

• Dethpicably quackers!!!

Posted 24 February 2011 - 07:47 PM

Ten whole years Saru, so my question is, are we having a Parteee??!!!:) Attached File  yowzer.jpg   5.8K   0 downloads

Posted Image

#14    Kismit

Kismit

Telekinetic

• 7,680 posts

Posted 24 February 2011 - 07:47 PM

View PostMravenged7x, on 24 February 2011 - 07:40 PM, said:

10 years! wow.
I have to say that this is one of my favourite websites of all time. I know I don't post a lot on the forums but I check this website daily for news and articles.

I have a couple of questions -

What is your most memorable moment during the 10 years?

Are you a skeptic of any topics that appear on UM?

Most memorable? Lots of them. Back in the begining when one of our members speculated dinosaur tasted like chicken, Erik beckjord and his craziness, and many many more.

Also are we skeptical towards some topics. There are lots of Moderators all with different views, we are skeptical to some but Saru is very good at making sure we keep it proffessional.

(Allthough I'm not really sure teenagers can shoot lightening bolts from their eyes)

Edited by Kismit, 24 February 2011 - 07:48 PM.

#15    Drayno

Drayno

Draynor's Finest

• 3,707 posts

Posted 24 February 2011 - 08:15 PM

View PostKismit, on 24 February 2011 - 07:47 PM, said:

(Allthough I'm not really sure teenagers can shoot lightening bolts from their eyes)

You would be surprised.  :lol:

"Let us sit upon the ground and tell sad stories of the death of kings."
- William Shakespeare, Richard II, Act III, Scene II

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users