Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

10 years of UM: Staff Q & A

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
190 replies to this topic

#181    Dying Seraph

Dying Seraph

Lucifer Rising

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,424 posts

• ~"Blessed are we who laugh at ourselves for we never cease to be amused!"~

~"The best way to make our dreams come true is to wake up!~"-Paul Valery

Posted 01 March 2011 - 10:13 PM

Out of all the forums, which would you say results in the most bans or reprimands of sorts? In other words which of the forums tend get the most heated? Religion, politics, cryptozoology...?

I just have the assumption that Saru has a stat list somewhere of all the bans and what forum they're banned from :lol:

SINcerely,
:devil:

"The angel of self-deceit is camped in the souls of the "Righteous"--The eternal flame of power through joy dwellith within the flesh of the Satanist!"--Anton Szandor LaVey

"Tis' true my form is something odd but blaming me is blaming God. Could I create myself anew, I would not fail in pleasing you. If I could reach from pole to pole or grasp the ocean with a span, I would be measured by the soul. The mind's the standard of the man."--Isaac Watts

#182    Saru

Saru

Site Webmaster

• 19,932 posts

• "The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious." - Albert Einstein

Posted 01 March 2011 - 10:26 PM

View PostDying Seraph, on 01 March 2011 - 10:13 PM, said:

Out of all the forums, which would you say results in the most bans or reprimands of sorts? In other words which of the forums tend get the most heated? Religion, politics, cryptozoology...?
The areas people tend to lose their cool the most over is religion and politics however any section in which people with very strong, opposing beliefs clash in a discussion has the potential to cause problems. That said however most bans on the forums go out to spammers, trolls and other undesirables that aren't really connected to any one section in particular.

#183    Nadia B.

Nadia B.

Streaky Freak

• 3,407 posts

• Demented Momilie of the Day: There is not a tampon in this world that will give you the joy and freedom portrayed in a Tampax commercial.

Posted 01 March 2011 - 10:45 PM

By the way, whatever happened to Ghost Mysteries forum?  Did you decide it was redundant or is it still around...?

Posted Image
Skepticism is good, but when you reach a certain level where
you're grasping at straws and making little sense... it's not
called skepticism.  It's called ignorance.
CRYPTO ENTHUSIAST GUYS ROCK!

#184    Fluffybunny

Fluffybunny

Forum Divinity

• 14,136 posts

• "Of all the tyrannies that affect mankind, tyranny in religion is the worst."
    Thomas Paine

Posted 01 March 2011 - 11:02 PM

View PostSaru, on 01 March 2011 - 10:26 PM, said:

The areas people tend to lose their cool the most over is religion and politics -snip-.
I said I was sorry...  :cry:

:P

Mods: You folks do so much and it's almost a thankless job it seems, so if I may ask, what's in it for you? Why did you become a mod?
Well, the pay is pretty good, and I have a nice retirement package, but what really sealed the deal was the company car:
Posted Image

Well, the timeshare vacation home we all get to spend a week a year in is pretty nice too:
Posted Image
Sure it needs a coat of paint, but once you get past the gator filled swamp and the vortex to hell, it really does have its' charm.  :P

Too many people on both sides of the spectrum have fallen into this mentality that a full one half of the country are the enemy for having different beliefs...in a country based on freedom of expression. It is this infighting that allows the focus to be taken away from "we the people" being able to watch, and have control over government corruption and ineptitude that is running rampant in our leadership.

People should be working towards fixing problems, not creating them.

#185    Still Waters

Still Waters

Deeply Mysterious

• 37,629 posts

• Que Sera, Sera - Whatever will be, will be..

Posted 01 March 2011 - 11:41 PM

View PostFluffybunny, on 01 March 2011 - 11:02 PM, said:

Well, the pay is pretty good, and I have a nice retirement package, but what really sealed the deal was the company car:
Company car?  :unsure2: Not fair, I didn't get one of those   :(

Posted Image

#186    Waspie_Dwarf

Waspie_Dwarf

Space Cadet

• 31,812 posts

• We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars.

Oscar Wilde

Posted 02 March 2011 - 12:00 AM

View Postslowfade, on 28 February 2011 - 07:44 PM, said:

Of all the various aspects of the unexplained covered on UM, which has been the one you've learned most about as a result of/during your time here?
Ironically the one I knew most about to start with, space and astronomy. There are members here who have forgotten more in a day than I have known in my lifetime.

View Postsvenshoegazer, on 28 February 2011 - 10:20 PM, said:

My question to all Mods: Who are your favorite bands? (Off Topic most likely but I wanted to be that first person..lol and break some ice) :rofl:
I'm with Tiggs on this one, Queen.

View PostDying Seraph, on 01 March 2011 - 07:25 AM, said:

Mods: You folks do so much and it's almost a thankless job it seems, so if I may ask, what's in it for you? Why did you become a mod?
The simple answer is I became a mod because I was asked, although I didn't really know what I was letting myself in for.

I was a moderator on UMs sister site, Spaceflight News, which sadly no longer exists. Moderating there was an infinitely easier job than it is here. When that site was wound up Saru let me know he was expanding the space section here. Not long after I joined I was asked to become a forum leader. This meant that I was dealing much more closely with the moderators and gaining a small insight into what went on behind the scenes. I found that I liked the moderators and I gained even more respect for what they did. When Saru asked me if I wanted to become a full moderator it was a decision I had to think about, but I believe I made the right choice.

I remain because I enjoy being part of the team and because the vast majority of members here are good people and they deserve to have a site free from trolls.

"Space is big. Really big. You just won't believe how vastly, hugely, mind-boggingly big it is. I mean, you may think it's a long way down the street to the chemist, but that's just peanuts to space." - The Hitch-Hikers Guide to the Galaxy - Douglas Adams 1952 - 2001

Posted Image
Click on button

#187    UFO_Monster

UFO_Monster

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,059 posts

• What looks spooky is not always scary. What looks cute is not always cuddly.

Posted 02 March 2011 - 02:20 AM

One last question from me: Will there be another Q & A in 2021? :lol:

Posted Image
UFOs aren't always the alien's spacecraft...sometimes they are the aliens.

#188    Paranoid Android

Paranoid Android

????????

• 25,015 posts

• Paranoid Android... No power in the verse can stop me...

Posted 02 March 2011 - 07:31 AM

Congrats to Saru on 10 years of the awesomeness known as UM.  It's been awesome getting to know everyone here and learning from well-read people all over the world.

I have a question for Saru and the other mods also - what originally brought you to this site?  I'm guessing this will be easier for Saru since he created the site, but for my fellow mods, why did you join in the first place?  When I joined, I never intended it to be permanent.  I was googling information on Halo 2 back in the day, and it led me to a thread on this forum.  I joined in order to comment on one aspect of the game, and it was only after that that I realised there was more to this site than a games thread.  Since then I haven't looked back.

Posted Image

My blog is now taking a new direction.  Dedicated to my father who was a great inspiration in my life, I wish to honour his memory (RIP, dad) by sharing with the world what he had always kept to himself.  More details, http://www.unexplain...showentry=27811

#189    Paranoid Android

Paranoid Android

????????

• 25,015 posts

• Paranoid Android... No power in the verse can stop me...

Posted 02 March 2011 - 07:53 AM

View Postslowfade, on 28 February 2011 - 07:44 PM, said:

Of all the various aspects of the unexplained covered on UM, which has been the one you've learned most about as a result of/during your time here?
Like Tiggs, I've learned so much about religion here.

View Postsvenshoegazer, on 28 February 2011 - 10:20 PM, said:

My question to all Mods: Who are your favorite bands? (Off Topic most likely but I wanted to be that first person..lol and break some ice) :rofl:
Muse, Infected Mushroom, Fear Factory, Tea Party, Rammstein, Strapping Young Lad, The Living End, Weird Al Yankovic, Offspring (early stuff), Queen, Metallica, Prodigy, Regurgitator, Chris Tomlin, Michael Card, Nicky Chiswell (yeah, had to put some Christian artists in here somewhere)....

View PostDying Seraph, on 01 March 2011 - 07:25 AM, said:

When I first joined, I had no aspirations to be a mod.  I just wanted to learn as much as I could (at most, I thought it would be cool to be a Debate Judge, back in the day when there were Formal Debates).  But one day I received an email asking if I would consider being a Forum Leader (a now defunct mod-group that had mod-powers only with certain sections of the board).  Today, I think the reason I continue to moderate is to ensure that UM remains the best site on the net for all things unexplained (not that it wouldn't remain the best if I stepped down, but I'm glad to be giving back to the community that has given me so much).

Posted Image

My blog is now taking a new direction.  Dedicated to my father who was a great inspiration in my life, I wish to honour his memory (RIP, dad) by sharing with the world what he had always kept to himself.  More details, http://www.unexplain...showentry=27811

#190    Saru

Saru

Site Webmaster

• 19,932 posts

• "The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious." - Albert Einstein

Posted 02 March 2011 - 10:21 AM

View PostNadia B., on 01 March 2011 - 10:45 PM, said:

By the way, whatever happened to Ghost Mysteries forum?  Did you decide it was redundant or is it still around...?
Its still around however it hasn't been updated for a while, i'm not sure what i'm doing with it just yet.

UFO_Monster said:

One last question from me: Will there be another Q & A in 2021?
I'm sure that can be arranged, we'll see. ;)

#191    Saru

Saru

Site Webmaster

• 19,932 posts

Posted 02 March 2011 - 12:24 PM

And on that note the Staff Q & A has now concluded.

A big thank you to everyone who posed a question in here and of course as always to our moderators for the fantastic work they do in keeping the forums running smoothly.

Here's to the next ten years. :tu:

The compiled write-up of the Q & A is now available to view - here.

A look back at some of our older site designs can also be found - here.

Also be sure to check out our time capsule thread ( Now finished )

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users