Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

10 years of UM: Staff Q & A

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
190 replies to this topic

#16    JonathanVonErich

JonathanVonErich

Telekinetic

• Banned
  • 7,519 posts

Posted 24 February 2011 - 08:31 PM

To anybody ( Saru, Mods ):

What is the craziest Thread you have seen in the 10 years of U.M. ??

Are you aware if the Forum ever had any "Famous" members ?? ( Investigators, authors, Stanton Friedman )

#17    Saru

Saru

Site Webmaster

• 20,840 posts

• "The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious." - Albert Einstein

Posted 24 February 2011 - 08:35 PM

Mravenged7x said:

What is your most memorable moment during the 10 years?
The time the site was used in a scene for the Lindsey Lohan movie "I know who killed me", in the scene she's on her computer looking for information about stigmata and she visits UM to find it. Ironically the film was panned by critics and was widely considered one of the worst films ever - not the greatest foray in to the world of cinema one could hope for.

Another thing that sticks in my mind is when Google changed their home page doodle to a UFO that linked to a search page placing us as the top result. Over the space of a weekend we received so much traffic that the site was practically down the whole time, we thought it was a denial of service attack until we realised where it was all coming from.

Mravenged7x said:

Are you a skeptic of any topics that appear on UM?
Personally i'm skeptical about quite a lot of the topics on the forums but i think given the sheer range of subjects here i can't really cover them in one all encompassing response - i'm certainly convinced that there is a lot we don't yet know about the world.

Mistydawn said:

are we having a Parteee ?
We can if someone fetches the drinks. :P

#18    Otto von Pickelhaube

Otto von Pickelhaube

A complete moral vacuum

• 30,144 posts

• Vampires are people too.

Posted 24 February 2011 - 08:50 PM

View PostJVE, on 24 February 2011 - 08:31 PM, said:

To anybody ( Saru, Mods ):

Are you aware if the Forum ever had any "Famous" members ?? ( Investigators, authors, Stanton Friedman )
I know there's one or two well-known people in ufological circles who pop in from time to time.
And having someone who actually worked on the Apollo program is rather somethign as well, I think.

If, as it seems, we are in the process of becoming a totalitarian society in which the state apparatus is all-powerful, the ethics most important for the survival of the true, free, human individual would be: cheat, lie, evade, fake it, be elsewhere, forge documents, build improved electronic gadgets in your garage that’ll outwit the gadgets used by the authorities.

- Philip K. Dick.

#19    Saru

Saru

Site Webmaster

• 20,840 posts

• "The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious." - Albert Einstein

Posted 24 February 2011 - 08:51 PM

JVE said:

That's a difficult one, we've had a few well known UFO experiencers/abductees and people like that at various times. The late Jon-Erik Beckjord was a vocal member here a few years back now, Loren Coleman has also been here as a visitor however i don't believe he ever registered an account. We've had a lot of TV show producers looking for people to take part in shows about their paranormal experiences, representatives of Destination Truth and TAPS radio have also been here as we've had mentions on both shows.

There are probably more i'm forgetting, someone else might be able to fill in the gaps on that one.

JVE said:

That's a really difficult question to answer, I think i'm going to have to come back to that one.

#20    Cloudshill

Cloudshill

Tree Spirit

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,063 posts

• "It's not that it doesn't hurt.........the trick is not minding that it hurts"

Posted 24 February 2011 - 09:09 PM

View PostSaru, on 24 February 2011 - 08:35 PM, said:

The time the site was used in a scene for the Lindsey Lohan movie "I know who killed me", in the scene she's on her computer looking for information about stigmata and she visits UM to find it. Ironically the film was panned by critics and was widely considered one of the worst films ever - not the greatest foray in to the world of cinema one could hope for.

Another thing that sticks in my mind is when Google changed their home page doodle to a UFO that linked to a search page placing us as the top result. Over the space of a weekend we received so much traffic that the site was practically down the whole time, we thought it was a denial of service attack until we realised where it was all coming from.

Personally i'm skeptical about quite a lot of the topics on the forums but i think given the sheer range of subjects here i can't really cover them in one all encompassing response - i'm certainly convinced that there is a lot we don't yet know about the world.

We can if someone fetches the drinks. :P
The Jam Jar Pub should reopen.............. :rofl:

Posted Image

#21    Bracket

Bracket

Evil Monkey Genius

• 3,968 posts

• I'm the fourth wise monkey.

Posted 24 February 2011 - 09:19 PM

Well, i'm not a mod but i know that multiple Bram Stoker Award winner and Marvel Comics writer Jonathan Mabury made ONE post on this site, and i know that because it was in my zombie thread to "correct" me on a comment i made on one of the comics he wrote. I also know about all those awards and stuff because it said that in his signature.  :P

Question: Saru, what would you say is the BIGGEST change you've done to this site in 10 years.

I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung.

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn

*Note to self, need more henchman, good ones this time. Also, start auditions for new female lab assistant.

#22    Still Waters

Still Waters

Deeply Mysterious

• 43,363 posts

• Sometimes it's better to keep the mystery unexplained.

Posted 24 February 2011 - 09:22 PM

View PostCloudshill, on 24 February 2011 - 09:09 PM, said:

The Jam Jar Pub should reopen.............. :rofl:
Hmmm....if we did that everyone would be in there and nobody would post anything  :P

Posted Image

#23    Pandora7321

Pandora7321

Perpetual Late Bloomer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,020 posts

• Let none of this earth inherit this vision of my spirit.

-Edgar Allan Poe

Posted 24 February 2011 - 09:29 PM

Congratulations on 10 years! Thanks for making it!

Question:

What's the craziest reason you've ever had to ban someone or remove them from the site?

Something kinda sad about
the way that things have come to be.
Desensitized to everything.
What became of subtlety?
- Tool, Stinkfist

#24    The Silver Thong

The Silver Thong

Forum Divinity

• 30,508 posts

Posted 24 February 2011 - 09:52 PM

Oh the Jam Jar thread now that brings back some interesting memories lol mostly good  :innocent:  Wouldn't be the same though.

Hey Saru this might be a bit to private a question but does running a site like this make good money/so so money or stinkin rich money that will allow you to hatch a master plan to rule the world lol

Edited by The Silver Thong, 24 February 2011 - 10:00 PM.

Sittin back drinkin beer watchin the world take it's course.

The only thing god can't do is prove he exists ?

#25    Beckys_Mom

Beckys_Mom

Sarcastic Muppet..!

• 51,196 posts

• "I hate pretentious people. I mean, what is the point in applying exorbitantly extensive vocabulary, it is just straightforwardly unnecessary".

Posted 24 February 2011 - 10:17 PM

I know of an author ( of many books) that posts on UM on and off... he goess off on location and later returns.  He uses UM for inspiration...I have spoken with him a number of times and read one of his manuscripts

I also believe there are a few famous producers that use this site

Edited by Beckys_Mom, 24 February 2011 - 10:18 PM.

Posted ImageRAW Berris... Dare you enter?

If there's a heaven...I hope to hell I get there !

#26    JonathanVonErich

JonathanVonErich

Telekinetic

• Banned
  • 7,519 posts

Posted 24 February 2011 - 10:23 PM

Thanks 747400 For sharing.

View PostBracket, on 24 February 2011 - 09:19 PM, said:

Well, i'm not a mod but i know that multiple Bram Stoker Award winner and Marvel Comics writer Jonathan Mabury made ONE post on this site, and i know that because it was in my zombie thread to "correct" me on a comment i made on one of the comics he wrote. I also know about all those awards and stuff because it said that in his signature.  :P

View PostBeckys_Mom, on 24 February 2011 - 10:17 PM, said:

I know of an author ( of many books) that posts on UM on and off... he goess off on location and later returns.  He uses UM for inspiration...I have spoken with him a number of times and read one of his manuscripts

I also believe there are a few famous producers that use this site
Thanks for sharing. Very interesting.  :)

And thanks for sharing, Supagirl. You can't share a name ??  ;)

Edited by JVE, 24 February 2011 - 10:25 PM.

#27    bLu3 de 3n3rgy

bLu3 de 3n3rgy

sit vis vobiscum

• 11,987 posts

Posted 24 February 2011 - 10:23 PM

I know of one person at least in the film industry that uses UM and has picked my brains.

JVE *taps nose* :D

Edited by Anvil, 24 February 2011 - 10:32 PM.

The Astral Projection Techniques Thread Here
*Golden rule, anything you extract, fill with light -- the universe doesn't like voids to be left.
Posted Image

#28    Bracket

Bracket

Evil Monkey Genius

• 3,968 posts

• I'm the fourth wise monkey.

Posted 24 February 2011 - 10:32 PM

View PostAnvil, on 24 February 2011 - 10:23 PM, said:

I know of one person at least in the film industry that uses UM and has picked my brains.

A zombie?!  :o

I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung.

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn

*Note to self, need more henchman, good ones this time. Also, start auditions for new female lab assistant.

#29    The Silver Thong

The Silver Thong

Forum Divinity

• 30,508 posts

Posted 24 February 2011 - 10:39 PM

View PostAnvil, on 24 February 2011 - 10:23 PM, said:

JVE *taps nose* :D

Oh your not allowed to do that then not tell us  :P

Sittin back drinkin beer watchin the world take it's course.

The only thing god can't do is prove he exists ?

#30    JonathanVonErich

JonathanVonErich

Telekinetic

• Banned
  • 7,519 posts

Posted 24 February 2011 - 10:42 PM

View PostThe Silver Thong, on 24 February 2011 - 10:39 PM, said:

Oh your not allowed to do that then not tell us  :P
Yeah, I agree. And now my nose hurts.  :P

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users