Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

10 years of UM: Staff Q & A

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
190 replies to this topic

#31    Waspie_Dwarf

Waspie_Dwarf

Space Cadet

• 34,216 posts

• We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars.

Oscar Wilde

Posted 24 February 2011 - 10:43 PM

View PostJVE, on 24 February 2011 - 08:31 PM, said:

Are you aware if the Forum ever had any "Famous" members ?? ( Investigators, authors, Stanton Friedman )

If (like me) you are into space exploration then James Oberg is a pretty big name (I have several of his books). He mostly posts in the UFO section here, but is a leading expert on the Soviet Space programme (amongst other things).

"Space is big. Really big. You just won't believe how vastly, hugely, mind-boggingly big it is. I mean, you may think it's a long way down the street to the chemist, but that's just peanuts to space." - The Hitch-Hikers Guide to the Galaxy - Douglas Adams 1952 - 2001

Posted Image
Click on button

#32    Beckys_Mom

Beckys_Mom

Sarcastic Muppet..!

• 51,196 posts

• "I hate pretentious people. I mean, what is the point in applying exorbitantly extensive vocabulary, it is just straightforwardly unnecessary".

Posted 24 February 2011 - 10:43 PM

View PostJVE, on 24 February 2011 - 10:23 PM, said:

And thanks for sharing, Supagirl. You can't share a name ??  ;)

I personally would not tell....it could cause the member more stress, having a lot of people send PM's  left right and center.... they would get bugged non stop and wind up leaving UM with a bad taste about the site... so no way would I ever tell...and I do know of a couple....

Posted ImageRAW Berris... Dare you enter?

If there's a heaven...I hope to hell I get there !

#33    bLu3 de 3n3rgy

bLu3 de 3n3rgy

sit vis vobiscum

• 11,987 posts

Posted 24 February 2011 - 10:49 PM

Exactly BM. Thanks and sorry confidences are confidences.

The Astral Projection Techniques Thread Here
*Golden rule, anything you extract, fill with light -- the universe doesn't like voids to be left.
Posted Image

#34    Beckys_Mom

Beckys_Mom

Sarcastic Muppet..!

• 51,196 posts

• "I hate pretentious people. I mean, what is the point in applying exorbitantly extensive vocabulary, it is just straightforwardly unnecessary".

Posted 24 February 2011 - 10:56 PM

View PostAnvil, on 24 February 2011 - 10:49 PM, said:

Exactly BM. Thanks and sorry confidences are confidences.

The famous person I know, is at present writing a trilogy  ( sci-fi)...and UM is just one part of his inspiration.... I was just honoured to get to read his manuscripts....  There is no way I would ever inform anyone on the boards who he really is.  I don't think I would want him to put an established known site like UM down as a bad reference. And to break his trust  after all he has done... that would be a nightmare

So yes indeed - confidences are confidences

#35    JonathanVonErich

JonathanVonErich

Telekinetic

• Banned
  • 7,519 posts

Posted 24 February 2011 - 10:58 PM

And me and Thongy agree with both of you, Becky and Supagirl, we have to respect their privacy.

But man...it's killing me.  :P

#36    The Silver Thong

The Silver Thong

Forum Divinity

• 30,508 posts

Posted 24 February 2011 - 10:59 PM

View PostWaspie_Dwarf, on 24 February 2011 - 10:43 PM, said:

If (like me) you are into space exploration then James Oberg is a pretty big name (I have several of his books). He mostly posts in the UFO section here, but is a leading expert on the Soviet Space programme (amongst other things).

Ya he's a big name, it's cool seeing him here posting  :tu:

Sittin back drinkin beer watchin the world take it's course.

The only thing god can't do is prove he exists ?

#37    bLu3 de 3n3rgy

bLu3 de 3n3rgy

sit vis vobiscum

• 11,987 posts

Posted 24 February 2011 - 11:00 PM

View PostBeckys_Mom, on 24 February 2011 - 10:56 PM, said:

The famous person I know, is at present writing a trilogy  ( sci-fi)...and UM is just one part of his inspiration.... I was just honoured to get to read his manuscripts....  There is no way I would ever inform anyone on the boards who he really is.  I don't think I would want him to put an established known site like UM down as a bad reference. And to break his trust  after all he has done... that would be a nightmare

So yes indeed - confidences are confidences

Just for the record, from what you have said we're not talking about the same person. So yes there is a few in the industry around.

The Astral Projection Techniques Thread Here
*Golden rule, anything you extract, fill with light -- the universe doesn't like voids to be left.
Posted Image

#38    Beckys_Mom

Beckys_Mom

Sarcastic Muppet..!

• 51,196 posts

Posted 24 February 2011 - 11:02 PM

View PostAnvil, on 24 February 2011 - 11:00 PM, said:

Just for the record, from what you have said we're not talking about the same person. So yes there is a few in the industry around.

No we aren't talking about the same person  lol..

#39    JonathanVonErich

JonathanVonErich

Telekinetic

• Banned
  • 7,519 posts

Posted 24 February 2011 - 11:08 PM

The thread is getting off topic, Saru won't be happy.  :P

#40    Saru

Saru

Site Webmaster

• 20,840 posts

• "The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious." - Albert Einstein

Posted 24 February 2011 - 11:15 PM

I don't know about that, these posts are all in response to one of the questions from earlier. :P

Bracket said:

Saru, what would you say is the BIGGEST change you've done to this site in 10 years.
Back in the early days site updates were often complete redesigns that changed pretty much everything but were comparatively quick to put together, as the site grew in size and complexity however updates took more time and these days significant changes can take a long time to complete. So in terms of a change being 'big' in the sense that it changes a lot on the site some of the earliest redesigns around 2002-2003 were probably the biggest. In terms of 'big' in the sense of it requiring a lot of time and work i would say the update to the UM-X design last year and the forum conversion from IPB 2 to IPB 3 rank among the most work and time intensive changes.

Pandora7321 said:

What's the craziest reason you've ever had to ban someone or remove them from the site?
I think the craziest cases of members being removed from the site have usually involved people roleplaying or attempting to perpetrate a hoax of some description. We've had quite a few "time travellers" joining the site with stories of travelling from the past or the future complete with photographs of their clothing and "time machine" that turn out to be taken straight off Google images.

The Silver Thong said:

Hey Saru this might be a bit to private a question but does running a site like this make good money/so so money or stinkin rich money that will allow you to hatch a master plan to rule the world lol
Well you can answer that one yourself, just turn on the news and see if there's a cat in a wizard's hat sitting on a throne declaring world law. ;)

#41    Waspie_Dwarf

Waspie_Dwarf

Space Cadet

• 34,216 posts

• We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars.

Oscar Wilde

Posted 24 February 2011 - 11:21 PM

View PostSaru, on 24 February 2011 - 11:15 PM, said:

Well you can answer that one yourself, just turn on the news and see if there's a cat in a wizard's hat sitting on a throne declaring world law.

Who knows what the leader of the New World Order looks like? ;)

"Space is big. Really big. You just won't believe how vastly, hugely, mind-boggingly big it is. I mean, you may think it's a long way down the street to the chemist, but that's just peanuts to space." - The Hitch-Hikers Guide to the Galaxy - Douglas Adams 1952 - 2001

Posted Image
Click on button

#42    Persia

Persia

A Persian Monarchist

• 8,769 posts

• ♥ FREE PERSIA♥

Posted 24 February 2011 - 11:22 PM

Dear Saru ,is a great honor to be with you in this wonderful forum. Thank you for letting many people know and learn new things.

God bless you .

Persia

Posted Image

#43    ships-cat

ships-cat

Alien Abducter

• 5,122 posts

• ..it's all too confusing for the working Cat to understand.... :(

Posted 24 February 2011 - 11:50 PM

View PostSaru, on 24 February 2011 - 11:15 PM, said:

Well you can answer that one yourself, just turn on the news and see if there's a cat in a wizard's hat sitting on a throne declaring world law. ;)

Ummmmm.... funny you should say that.... photomontage competition

Saruman... the whole project must have been a roller-coaster. What would you say your worst moment was ?

meow purr :)

A cat stretches from one end of my childhood to the other.

#44    S2F

S2F

Bloodstained Hurricane

• 7,321 posts

• I know someday
    you'll have a beautiful life
    I know you'll be a sun
    In somebody else's sky
    But why can't it be mine? -Pearl Jam

Posted 25 February 2011 - 12:08 AM

A few questions for the PTB. ^_^

First, members here have recently (last year or two from my experience) taken a more critical approach to the mysteries presented here. Would you say that UM has become a more scientific minded site with healthy skepticism being the norm? And would this be considered a good or bad turn for unexplained phenomena? What do you think the future holds for some of these phenomena (and the site) if the current trend holds?

PS. This is by far my favorite site, keep up the good work Saru and crew. :tu:

"You want to discuss plausibility then you have to accept reality." -Mattshark

"Don't argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level then beat you with experience." -Obviousman

You know... the plural of ``anecdote'' is not ``data''. Similarly, the plural of ``random fact'' is not ``mystical symbolism''. -sepulchrave

#45    Bracket

Bracket

Evil Monkey Genius

• 3,968 posts

• I'm the fourth wise monkey.

Posted 25 February 2011 - 12:14 AM

Hey, i've got a question. Can i be a mod?  :lol:

I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung.

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn

*Note to self, need more henchman, good ones this time. Also, start auditions for new female lab assistant.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users