Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Necromancy

• Please log in to reply
96 replies to this topic

#61    vitruvian12

vitruvian12

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,853 posts

Posted 17 August 2012 - 01:10 PM

View Posttatornator, on 14 August 2012 - 04:43 PM, said:

its probably possible with the science the government has today
What science is that?

#62    designer

designer

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 233 posts

• I believe.

Posted 17 August 2012 - 03:45 PM

No. what you get back would not be the same as what you lost. Didn't you see pet cemetary?

Carol in NC

Posted Image
EMMA
Give a shelter dog a chance. They'll give you their heart.

#63    SpiritTraveler

SpiritTraveler

Extraterrestrial Entity

• PipPipPip
  • 408 posts

• "Everything is relative" - Elbert Einstein

Posted 18 August 2012 - 08:40 AM

Well, we all know that you can't bring back the dead. And why would we want to? Their spirit has left the body. Wouldn't want to bring back a body without it's soul. It wouldn't be human.

But the way science is going today, you could have your DNA saved and the scientist can grow a whole new you someday soon! (without a soul of course!).

Too creepy to think about. :wacko:

Posted Image

#64    designer

designer

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 233 posts

• I believe.

Posted 19 August 2012 - 07:52 PM

View PostSpiritTraveler, on 18 August 2012 - 08:40 AM, said:

but the way science is going today, you could have your DNA saved and the scientist can grow a whole new you someday soon! (without a soul of course!).

Too creepy to think about. :wacko:

Altered DNA to extend like, the mark of the beast.

Carol in NC

Posted Image
EMMA
Give a shelter dog a chance. They'll give you their heart.

#65    E. L. Wisty

E. L. Wisty

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 84 posts

Posted 21 August 2012 - 04:43 PM

Scientifically, if your very delicate brain tissues are not somehow preserved within about 15 minutes of your death, I'm afraid you're gone forever. Freezing is unlikely to be the answer. If you don't believe me, there's a very simple experiment you can do. Leave a tomato in the freezer overnight, then thaw it out. See what happens? Well, that's your brain. It should be added that, since we still don't understand exactly how the human brain works, but we do know that various energies are involved, it's very doubtful indeed that freezing the thing solid and then meticulously repairing it on the cellular level with nanobots, assuming this is ever possible, would actually restore your memories and personality. Your best bet is never to be biologically dead at all. Good luck with that!

Spiritually, your survival in any form at all requires some sort of deity to arrange it. Therefore returning somebody from the dead means that you need to strike a bargain with an entity who is automatically vastly superior to you, and, depending on your belief-system, may actually control every aspect of the Universe. Again, good luck with that. You will notice that almost all religions either make this an incredibly rare thing, or give everyone the ability to reincarnate with a convenient case of amnesia. So I'm afraid that unless you take zombie movies way too seriously, or you belong to one of those bonkers micro-religions consisting of ten people who all know they're Joan of Arc, you might as well accept the inevitable.

I haven't mentioned any form of copying for the following reason. Let's assume that I have an identical twin (which, by the way, I don't). My twin is genetically identical to me, and technically a clone. I die, but my twin does not. Am I still alive? No, of course not - identical twins are a fairly common thing known throughout human history, and nobody believes anything that stupid about them. I am dead, but somebody a lot like me lives on. Why would any conceivable method of copying prevent me from dying any better than this? Sorry, mate, you're on a non-starter!

#66    BiffSplitkins

BiffSplitkins

Vertically Challenged

• 6,960 posts

• We all have a song inside us, it tells us who we are.

'John Doeber' fellow musician

Posted 21 August 2012 - 04:59 PM

After hearing this story from childhood... I have never had an interest in raising the dead other than in video games.

The Monkey's Paw

"The problem with internet quotes is that you cant always depend on their accuracy" -Abraham Lincoln, 1864

Posted Image

#67    ReaperS_ParadoX

ReaperS_ParadoX

“What’s wrong with accepting madness?

• 2,520 posts

• The boundaries which divide Life from Death are at best shadowy and vague. Who shall say where the one ends, and where the other begins?

Posted 23 August 2012 - 08:07 PM

I dont think itll be possible even with technology because unless they can solve a way for the brain to keep funtioning and keep it alive I think its an impossibilty. Then you add in the soul even if you could get a soul does it just turn all funtions back on in the body even if the bodys been brain dead for centuries??

COME WITH ME. OVERWHELMING POWER AND MADNESS AWAIT

THAT IS NOT DEAD WHICH CAN ETERNAL LIE AND WITH STRANGE AEONS EVEN DEATH MAY DIE

#68    Simbi Laveau

Simbi Laveau

Overlord A. Snuffleupagus

• 8,245 posts

• ~So what's all this then ?!

Posted 23 August 2012 - 08:11 PM

This is why people are now cloning deceased pets . The animal is not even close,usually,to the original animal.
So in a sense,cloning is necromancy of a type .
I wish I could have a lot of people back,but I can wait til I go to them,to see them all again .

Miss me?

#69    Lady_Mercury

Lady_Mercury

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 311 posts

• 'What would James Bond do?'
    'He'd probably wear a corset so no one would guess he was sixty.'

Posted 26 August 2012 - 03:58 PM

Do you think even the smallest spell is possible?  If so, than so is necromancy.

I think it's morally wrong to resurrect someone.  Death can really change a person.
Seriously, have we learnt nothing from Buffy?

We shall not cease from exploration
And the end of all our exploring
Will be to arrive where we started
And know the place for the first time
- T.S. Eliot

#70    starchild1976

starchild1976

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 83 posts

• Truth is stranger than fiction.

Posted 30 August 2012 - 05:44 PM

I mean there have been a few people to have themselves frozen at death in hopes a cure for their illness will be found someday. How they plan to actually bring them back I don't know. There are accounts of Voo-Doo bringing the dead back for short periods of times. Are you sure the dead always want to be brought back? Have you seen or read Stephen King's, Pet Cemetary?

#71    vitruvian12

vitruvian12

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,853 posts

Posted 01 September 2012 - 02:57 AM

View Poststarchild1976, on 30 August 2012 - 05:44 PM, said:

I mean there have been a few people to have themselves frozen at death in hopes a cure for their illness will be found someday. How they plan to actually bring them back I don't know. There are accounts of Voo-Doo bringing the dead back for short periods of times. Are you sure the dead always want to be brought back? Have you seen or read Stephen King's, Pet Cemetary?
you realize thats a fiction novel

#72    WannabeSlenderProxy

WannabeSlenderProxy

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 8 posts

• One cannot tell exactly what will happen tomorrow,
    So how can one tell us what "unreal" creatures definitely do or do not exist?

Posted 02 September 2012 - 05:27 PM

I do think Necromancy may be remotely possible, but I d also believe that stuff like this should not be messed with, nor should any other type of dark magic, only because things such as this can be considered extremely dangerous.

I can't imagine living in a world with no mystery...

#73    ReaperS_ParadoX

ReaperS_ParadoX

“What’s wrong with accepting madness?

• 2,520 posts

• The boundaries which divide Life from Death are at best shadowy and vague. Who shall say where the one ends, and where the other begins?

Posted 03 September 2012 - 05:45 PM

View PostWannabeSlenderProxy, on 02 September 2012 - 05:27 PM, said:

I do think Necromancy may be remotely possible, but I d also believe that stuff like this should not be messed with, nor should any other type of dark magic, only because things such as this can be considered extremely dangerous.

I agree, theres way to many things that could go wrong

COME WITH ME. OVERWHELMING POWER AND MADNESS AWAIT

THAT IS NOT DEAD WHICH CAN ETERNAL LIE AND WITH STRANGE AEONS EVEN DEATH MAY DIE

#74    WannabeSlenderProxy

WannabeSlenderProxy

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 8 posts

• One cannot tell exactly what will happen tomorrow,
    So how can one tell us what "unreal" creatures definitely do or do not exist?

Posted 03 September 2012 - 09:14 PM

Definitely.

I can't imagine living in a world with no mystery...

#75    mysteries4life

mysteries4life

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 06 September 2012 - 06:39 PM

The definition of necromancy is the practice of supposedly communicating witht the spirts of the dead in order to predict the future.  Some examples of communicating have been to bring them back physically from the dead but it is for the purpose of divinity not to just hang out or see them again.. I think if you are going to bring someone back or try to reach the deceased, if possible, you should have a good reason that isn't based on being selfish. I think that once the body (shell) of a person is gone they of course deteriorate because they are made of organic matter, so bring them back isn't possible but their spirit is a different matter.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users