Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

World's first wizard school opens

• Please log in to reply
79 replies to this topic

#16    OverSword

OverSword

Forum Divinity

• 13,406 posts

• When the power of love overcomes the love of power then humanity can evolve

Posted 04 March 2011 - 05:32 PM

View PostRyu, on 04 March 2011 - 04:37 PM, said:

Well..it is nothing more than another money making enterprise.

People love the whole "wizards in pointy hats" thing and there is no short supply of people who really think magic is real so..if people want to blow their money on something that wastes their time then go ahead.

I mean, I admit it sounds like fun but that is all it really is, a place to immerse oneself in ones fantasies and it really needs to be portrayed as a fantasy enterprise not something that actually means anything.

Yup. That sums it up.
Actually if you look up some of the courses being offered like wortcraft, you would see it's it herbal medicine and mathmagicks are mentalists tricks using math and quantum entanglements was first proposed on a paper cowritten by Einstien.  He is a real wizard, it's just that your definition of wizardry and his differ.

#17    Ryu

Ryu

Born to fail.

• 3,718 posts

• One often meets his destiny on the road he takes to avoid it. ~ Master Oogway, Kung Fu Panda

Posted 04 March 2011 - 05:39 PM

If I want to learn about herbal medicine, for example, then I will go to a real accredited college for that and not some fluff-bunny enterprise where the founder runs around in wizard robes.  There is nothing scientific or useful about what what Mr. Pointy-Hat is offering.

He is a real wizard, it's just that your definition of wizardry and his differ.                         

Really now?
And what is your definition of a wizard?

Edited by Ryu, 04 March 2011 - 05:40 PM.

#18    ~TheBigK~

~TheBigK~

Government Agent

• 3,926 posts

Posted 04 March 2011 - 05:41 PM

View PostRyu, on 04 March 2011 - 05:39 PM, said:

If I want to learn about herbal medicine, for example, then I will go to a real accredited college for that and not some fluff-bunny enterprise where the founder runs around in wizard robes.  There is nothing scientific or useful about what what Mr. Pointy-Hat is offering.
If I had extra money to spend I would take those classes, and no, I wouldn't take them seriously. It's called fun.

Posted Image

#19    King Fluffs

King Fluffs

The Resident Misanthrope

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,111 posts

• Shadows protect my angel in white...

Posted 04 March 2011 - 05:42 PM

I already know alot about magic.

#20    SilverCougar

SilverCougar

All hail the gods of Rum

• 10,873 posts

• The origonal Damneddirtytreehugging-
    paganhippiewerecougarrum pirate.

Posted 04 March 2011 - 05:45 PM

I'd so want to be a teacher there...

Doctor_Strangelove: If only I lived in a world with no risk of piss tests. Then I could just sit here and
watch videos on angelfish and become one with nature.

#21    Ryu

Ryu

Born to fail.

• 3,718 posts

• One often meets his destiny on the road he takes to avoid it. ~ Master Oogway, Kung Fu Panda

Posted 04 March 2011 - 05:58 PM

View Post~TheBigK~, on 04 March 2011 - 05:41 PM, said:

If I had extra money to spend I would take those classes, and no, I wouldn't take them seriously. It's called fun.

I am aware that it is "fun" I just object to the school even being called a school since it offers nothing useful for real life.

#22    SpiritWalker7

SpiritWalker7

Seeker

• 2,953 posts

• "When I tell the truth, it is not for the sake of convincing those who do not know it, but for the sake of defending those that do." -William Blake

Posted 04 March 2011 - 06:23 PM

Ridiculous.  :rofl:
Although, I guess it provides some people with an escape from reality. Which some people need.

#23    Ryu

Ryu

Born to fail.

• 3,718 posts

Posted 04 March 2011 - 06:59 PM

View PostAliveInDeath, on 04 March 2011 - 06:23 PM, said:

Ridiculous.  :rofl:
Although, I guess it provides some people with an escape from reality. Which some people need.

Yes. Albeit a very expensive escape.

#24    Blue Lizard

Blue Lizard

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 278 posts

• "Faith in a fact can help create the fact." - William James

Posted 04 March 2011 - 07:11 PM

I think this guy has gone a little too crazy over harry potter. Almost as crazy as this guy > http://www.youtube.c...?v=I0VlIjXj9NA.

I can't believe our education system actually allowed a mad man like this to teach or do anything for that matter. Man I guess we are going in the shitter for sure.

#25    StarChild 83

StarChild 83

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 277 posts

• "The truth was forgotten long ago, now we just have our imaginations to fill in the blanks." StarChild 83

Posted 04 March 2011 - 07:13 PM

wow, he surgically made a goat into a unicorn. that's taking it a bit far.

#26    ~TheBigK~

~TheBigK~

Government Agent

• 3,926 posts

Posted 04 March 2011 - 07:21 PM

View PostRyu, on 04 March 2011 - 05:58 PM, said:

I am aware that it is "fun" I just object to the school even being called a school since it offers nothing useful for real life.
There's plenty of classes at real schools that certain people would deem pointless. Just depends on the person I guess. At the very least, whoever takes classes there will have interesting stories and experiences to share.

Posted Image

#27    theGhost_and_theDarkness

theGhost_and_theDarkness

Tsavo Maneater

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,914 posts

• Death is not the greatest loss in life. The greatest loss is what dies inside us while we live. - Norman Cousins

Posted 04 March 2011 - 07:57 PM

View PostSilverCougar, on 04 March 2011 - 05:45 PM, said:

I'd so want to be a teacher there...

Ditto!

Everybody wishes the world was more magical and interesting than it actually is.

Well, things do get quite boring. I don't believe in the Jersey Devil, but I'll be the first one tramping through the pine barrens looking for it.  It does a person good to suspend reality for a bit and just go all out in the name of adventure. It's a good stress reliever. :D

Just so long as you don't suspend it for too long, I suppose.

"To be conscious that you are ignorant is a great step to knowledge." ~ Benjamin Disraeli

#28    OverSword

OverSword

Forum Divinity

• 13,406 posts

• When the power of love overcomes the love of power then humanity can evolve

Posted 04 March 2011 - 08:34 PM

View PostRyu, on 04 March 2011 - 05:39 PM, said:

Really now?
And what is your definition of a wizard?

I never stated that my definition jibed with his, mine would probably closer aligned with yours, you know Gandalf, Fizbin...etc.

#29    Ryu

Ryu

Born to fail.

• 3,718 posts

Posted 04 March 2011 - 09:02 PM

There's plenty of classes at real schools that certain people would deem  pointless. Just depends on the person I guess. At the very least,  whoever takes classes there will have interesting stories and  experiences to share.

That is the problem, schools wasting time and space offering "classes" that serve no real purpose. That is what community halls is for so "other" things can be conducted there.

I never stated that my definition jibed with his, mine would probably closer aligned with yours, you know Gandalf, Fizbin...etc.

Heh..Fizban...I liked that character.

He is a real wizard,

This is why I inquired, OverSword. I was wondering why you felt he is a "real" wizard. To me it's all fake...fun perhaps but to make people believe that any of it is real and that they can do "magic" by flailing a wand around, burning nice smelling incense and chanting some goofy stuff is really sad.

#30    Chronii

Chronii

Extraterrestrial Entity

• PipPipPip
  • 409 posts

• Addicted to tea.

Posted 04 March 2011 - 09:06 PM

View PostBlue Lizard, on 04 March 2011 - 07:11 PM, said:

I think this guy has gone a little too crazy over harry potter. Almost as crazy as this guy > http://www.youtube.c...?v=I0VlIjXj9NA.

I can't believe our education system actually allowed a mad man like this to teach or do anything for that matter. Man I guess we are going in the shitter for sure.

Nope, he was a wizard WAY before Harry Potter even existed and was referred to as Gandalf and Merlin  :w00t:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users