Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

World's first wizard school opens

• Please log in to reply
79 replies to this topic

#46    nohands

nohands

Paranormal Investigator

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 806 posts

Posted 06 March 2011 - 06:25 AM

nice one... sometimes we must do different things so that the world will be colored with changes...

schools for monster is this out there?

nice one... sometimes we must do different things so that the world will be colored with changes...

schools for monster is this out there?

#47    tacolabeanz

tacolabeanz

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 23 March 2011 - 07:30 PM

View PosttheGhost_and_theDarkness, on 04 March 2011 - 07:57 PM, said:

Ditto!

Well, things do get quite boring. I don't believe in the Jersey Devil, but I'll be the first one tramping through the pine barrens looking for it.  It does a person good to suspend reality for a bit and just go all out in the name of adventure. It's a good stress reliever. :D

Just so long as you don't suspend it for too long, I suppose.

Yes, well, I spent a good portion of my life in New Jersey. I do believe in the possibility of the Jersey Devil, and I suppose I'd be the second to go in search of the beast (behind you, of course).

#48    tacolabeanz

tacolabeanz

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 23 March 2011 - 07:38 PM

View PostRyu, on 04 March 2011 - 09:02 PM, said:

That is the problem, schools wasting time and space offering "classes" that serve no real purpose. That is what community halls is for so "other" things can be conducted there.

Heh..Fizban...I liked that character.

This is why I inquired, OverSword. I was wondering why you felt he is a "real" wizard. To me it's all fake...fun perhaps but to make people believe that any of it is real and that they can do "magic" by flailing a wand around, burning nice smelling incense and chanting some goofy stuff is really sad.

I would never incorperate "flailing a wand around" into this, but many religions use incense and chants (take Christian and Catholic prayers, for example). Pointy hats and wand aside, most of the stuff taught at Grey School is in alignment with the Wiccan faith. I admit that this man is a bit over-the-top, but his intentions are good. Anyways, it's outragious to open up a school teaching mostly Wiccan religion and using modern day techniques, but it isn't outragious to open up a "school" where there are strict rules, follow and teach the Catholic faith, and wear "habbits" all day?!

#49    Robert1

Robert1

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,670 posts

Posted 23 March 2011 - 09:56 PM

I think this place is kind of interesting, so long as you don't take it too seriously.
It seems like a lot of fun.

#50    jaguarsky

jaguarsky

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 310 posts

Posted 30 May 2011 - 01:31 PM

Kudos to them!! First of all, they are so cute. I also love how they live life on thier own terms seemingly not caring what anyone else thinks. I haven't looked up thier curriculum so I can't address the subject of how good or bad it might be. Personally, I would love to participate in thier "school". I am mostly retired and love to keep learning. You knows what helpful things I might discover.

BTW, magic is real, you just have to know it when you see it.

#51    Doctor_Strangelove

Doctor_Strangelove

Nazi Scientist

• 2,616 posts

• Mein Führer! I can walk!

Posted 30 May 2011 - 02:21 PM

Bloody hell, I've still yet to receive my acceptance letter.

"Isn't it weird when users quote themselves in their own signatures?"-Doctor_Strangelove

#52    SilverCougar

SilverCougar

All hail the gods of Rum

• 10,873 posts

• The origonal Damneddirtytreehugging-
    paganhippiewerecougarrum pirate.

Posted 30 May 2011 - 08:32 PM

View PostDoctor_Strangelove, on 30 May 2011 - 02:21 PM, said:

Bloody hell, I've still yet to receive my acceptance letter.

Neither have I =(

Doctor_Strangelove: If only I lived in a world with no risk of piss tests. Then I could just sit here and
watch videos on angelfish and become one with nature.

#53    dbrokerr

dbrokerr

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 31 May 2011 - 12:51 AM

this is the weirdest thing I have heard. interesting stuff

#54    Taut

Taut

Apparition

• Closed
  • PipPip
  • 370 posts

Posted 31 May 2011 - 05:20 PM

PT Barnum was right.

#55    SilverCougar

SilverCougar

All hail the gods of Rum

• 10,873 posts

• The origonal Damneddirtytreehugging-
    paganhippiewerecougarrum pirate.

Posted 31 May 2011 - 07:32 PM

View PostTaut, on 31 May 2011 - 05:20 PM, said:

PT Barnum was right.

Just not in this case because it deals with actual pagan practices, not the fantasy magic of harry potter.

Doctor_Strangelove: If only I lived in a world with no risk of piss tests. Then I could just sit here and
watch videos on angelfish and become one with nature.

#56    rashore

rashore

Telekinetic

• 7,065 posts

Posted 31 May 2011 - 08:23 PM

I looked at the website, and it's interesting. I think it's pretty cool that a bunch of practitioners want to gather and teach others their skills. Especially since they seem to cover a whole variety of subjects.
However, the way they set themselves up is pretty hokey. It's sort of too jinky Potterish. I gotta say I just couldn't take my teacher seriously if they dressed like that. A lot of the way their site is set up points to them being silly hippie fictional book spin off. It is a school geared to kids though, so I guess that might be normal.

#57    Ryu

Ryu

Born to fail.

• 3,738 posts

• One often meets his destiny on the road he takes to avoid it. ~ Master Oogway, Kung Fu Panda

Posted 31 May 2011 - 11:23 PM

View Posttacolabeanz, on 23 March 2011 - 07:38 PM, said:

Anyways, it's outrageous to open up a school teaching mostly Wiccan  religion and using modern day techniques, but it isn't outrageous to  open up a "school" where there are strict rules, follow and teach the  Catholic faith, and wear "habbits" all day?!                         

Yes.

I would never incorperate "flailing a wand around" into this,

Why not? It is being taught as something that is supposedly meaningful. Besides..lose your grip on it and you could accidentally impale someone...ouchies!

but his intentions are good.

His intentions are to make money off of the gullible by making them buy his books while they take his "classes"

I think it's pretty cool that a bunch of practitioners want to gather and teach others their skills.

........"skills"?

BTW, magic is real, you just have to know it when you see it.

Magic is just a flashy way of describing something that you can't readily explain.
Sort of like how people claimed that storms were caused by angry gods or that, literally, a tiny human being lived inside each cell of the body (homunculus)

Once you understand something you no longer need to use the word "magic" and the best thing of all is that understanding doesn't take away the need continue learning.

I do believe in the possibility of the Jersey Devil,

Why do all the cool sounding cities get cool myths?
You never hear of the "Minneapolis Devil"  or the Iowa City Beast" :no:

Edited by Ryu, 31 May 2011 - 11:25 PM.

#58    rashore

rashore

Telekinetic

• 7,065 posts

Posted 01 June 2011 - 02:11 PM

lol Ryu... perhaps I should have used the term knowledge instead of skills.

Knowledge is knowledge. There's all sorts of subjects being taught out there. Here is a sampling from 2009 of courses from "real" colleges.

#59    Ryu

Ryu

Born to fail.

• 3,738 posts

• One often meets his destiny on the road he takes to avoid it. ~ Master Oogway, Kung Fu Panda

Posted 01 June 2011 - 04:28 PM

View Postrashore, on 01 June 2011 - 02:11 PM, said:

Here is a sampling from 2009 of courses from "real" colleges.

Pretty disgusting really. If it is part of what they call "adult education" it is even more frightening.
I guess it is ok if it is one of those once a week/month things that one takes in the evening for "fun".

I am simply saying that anything this "school" has to offer won't be taken seriously in the real world even if, by some chance, some knowledge is useful.

However I do agree that Oberons frequent reference to Harry Potter is odd and makes him and his school more questionable. He only helps add to peoples misconceptions of pagans in general and I don't think he realizes that.
He simply got hopelessly lost in his fantasies and keeps wishing for a world that never was and never will be.
Fortunately nothing that the school teaches will be recognized by anyone in the real world so at least that is a relief.

#60    Doctor_Strangelove

Doctor_Strangelove

Nazi Scientist

• 2,616 posts

• Mein Führer! I can walk!

Posted 01 June 2011 - 04:42 PM

Many college degrees are becoming more and more useless as time progresses, so I see no real harm in a school for Wicca and Pagan practices. What's the difference between a magic course and a Liberal Arts degree? Not much, aside from the mad rep you'd get in your D&D group.

"Isn't it weird when users quote themselves in their own signatures?"-Doctor_Strangelove

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users