Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

On the brink: Sixth mass extinction

• Please log in to reply
67 replies to this topic

#61    Doug1o29

Doug1o29

Majestic 12 Operative

• 6,233 posts

Posted 10 March 2011 - 02:06 PM

View Postdanielost, on 10 March 2011 - 02:15 AM, said:

i am not saying that climate change isnt happening.  i am just saying it isnt man made.  man may be helping it along, but we are not causing the climate to change.  this planet goes through climate change ever 300,000 years.  we are currently at the peak of that time period.  so in about 150,000 years we will be in another ice age.
There have been about 30 natural climate shifts since the end of the Younger Dryas (about 10,660 BP).  This one is different.

Why do I think humans are involved?  CO2 levels are climbing exponentially.  We're the only known source of extra CO2.  The climate is measurably warmer.  Coincidence?

The clincher is WHERE climate is warming.  If atmospheric carbon is the cause, then temperature rise should be greatest in places where CO2 absorbs the most solar energy, reradiating it as heat.  Moisture interferes with the absorption process, so if carbon is involved, heating should be greatest in the dryest areas.  What areas have warmed the most?  The edges of deserts and the Continental Arctic in winter (when water is frozen out of the atmosphere).  That's why Fort Smith showed the warming:  it's on the edge of the Great Plains, a dry area.

Conversely, Wilmington, NC and Meridian, MS were also tested and showed no warming.  Why?  They're in wet areas, near large bodies of water, which, if global warming theory is right, will be the last places to show warming.

Human involvement in global warming is also supported by large amounts of scientific evidence.  If you want to argue about something, argue about the EXTENT of man-caused warming.  That's still up in the air.

We are reaching the point in climate technology that within the next decade we should be able to forecast the exact amount of warming that will occur in any given locality.  Then you will have something you can test in the field.
Doug

If I have seen farther than other men, it is because I stood on the shoulders of giants. --Bernard de Chartres
The beginning of knowledge is the realization that one doesn't and cannot know everything.
Science is the father of knowledge, but opinion breeds ignorance. --Hippocrates
Ignorance is not an opinion. --Adam Scott

#62    Doug1o29

Doug1o29

Majestic 12 Operative

• 6,233 posts

Posted 10 March 2011 - 02:12 PM

View Postdanielost, on 10 March 2011 - 02:15 AM, said:

man may be helping it along, but we are not causing the climate to change.
Nit picking.  If because of human-caused activities, the temperature is 2 degrees warmer than it would otherwise have been, that's still man-caused warming.

BTW:  those climate models predict that without human involvement, we would now be in a cooling period, the mean global temperature having peaked about 2006.
Doug

If I have seen farther than other men, it is because I stood on the shoulders of giants. --Bernard de Chartres
The beginning of knowledge is the realization that one doesn't and cannot know everything.

#63    Eldorado

Eldorado

Unforgiven

• 10,409 posts

• I reckon so.

Posted 10 March 2011 - 02:25 PM

Can't you all just agree that climate changes happen naturally but man has made these changes more drastic with his continued pollution of his environment?

#64    ripperking

ripperking

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 42 posts

• Why quote when it should be my word that is heard...

Posted 10 March 2011 - 03:10 PM

View PostEldorado, on 10 March 2011 - 02:25 PM, said:

Can't you all just agree that climate changes happen naturally but man has made these changes more drastic with his continued pollution of his environment?
:tu:  100 cement eldorado!

#65    stevewinn

stevewinn

Government Agent

• 8,571 posts

• Victory at all costs, victory in spite of all terror, victory however long and hard the road may be; for without victory, there is no survival

Posted 10 March 2011 - 08:11 PM

No... i refuse to agree man has made things worse. i blame women.  :w00t:  :o

Posted Image

British by Birth - English by the Grace of God

#66    Doug1o29

Doug1o29

Majestic 12 Operative

• 6,233 posts

Posted 10 March 2011 - 09:10 PM

You have probably hit the nail on the head.  That is exactly what I think.  Now lets see if we can prove it.
Doug

#67    Br Cornelius

Br Cornelius

Forum Divinity

• 10,163 posts

• Stupid Monkeys.

Life Sucks.
    Get over it.

Posted 10 March 2011 - 09:48 PM

Nothing to disagree with there, and I don't think many climate scientists would either.

Br Cornelius

I believe nothing, but I have my suspicions.

Robert Anton Wilson

#68    nelvrina

nelvrina

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 60 posts

• what mystery will you discover?

Posted 10 March 2011 - 10:58 PM

Humans are already down that road and sadly taking the animals with us. I wonder what will come first, Aliens or an unexplained asteroid? :) From afar, I'm watching the human race demolish itself. Not very interesting to watch but it suits me. I think we deserve it a little. Humans caused it. :P

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users