Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

NASA Astrobiologist claims non earth bacteria

• Please log in to reply
97 replies to this topic

#1    Kali74

Kali74

Paranormal Investigator

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 843 posts

• Out of the tens of thousands of sightings all over the world, only one need be true.
    -Jon Cypher (loosely)

Posted 05 March 2011 - 05:19 PM

Dr. Richard B. Hoover cracked open a CI1 meteorite a carbonaceous chondrite which is one of only nine believed to have ever been found on earth and discovered fossils he claims are of bacteria not found on earth. His research is published in this months (March, 2011) edition of the Journal of Cosmolgy. The journal has invited 100 experts and has issued a general invitation to over 5000 in the scientific community to review the paper.

foxnews.com  (I know fox news :P)

It's a really interesting article, scientists are very hesitant to get excited about it, which is understandable we've had similar things happen before only to learn we jumped the gun. Still, I can't help but think panspermia. :)

Edited by Kali74, 05 March 2011 - 05:20 PM.

I choose to live in hope, open to possibilites and risk dying wrong rather than to live looking down and possibly missing it all.
                                                                                                                                                                                     ~Me

#2    svenshoegazer

svenshoegazer

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 254 posts

• Art Imitates Life and Life Imitates Art

Posted 05 March 2011 - 05:57 PM

Sounds like the start of Horror movie (Alien Bacteria causes a Zombie Outbreak) ..very cool though

When I close my eyes does everything just go away? Or does the luster of your heart and soul see me, even though I may not be there?

#3    Kali74

Kali74

Paranormal Investigator

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 843 posts

• Out of the tens of thousands of sightings all over the world, only one need be true.
    -Jon Cypher (loosely)

Posted 05 March 2011 - 06:47 PM

Official Statement from Dr. Rudy Schild,
Center for Astrophysics, Harvard-Smithsonian,
Editor-in-Chief, Journal of Cosmology. Dr. Richard Hoover is a highly respected scientist and astrobiologist with a prestigious record of accomplishment at NASA. Given the controversial nature of his discovery, we have invited 100 experts and have issued a general invitation to over 5000 scientists from the scientific community to review the paper and to offer their critical analysis. Our intention is to publish the commentaries, both pro and con, alongside Dr. Hoover's paper. In this way, the paper will have received a thorough vetting, and all points of view can be presented. No other paper in the history of science has undergone such a thorough analysis, and no other scientific journal in the history of science has made such a profoundly important paper available to the scientific community, for comment, before it is published. We believe the best way to advance science, is to promote debate and discussion.

From journalofcosmology.com.

I choose to live in hope, open to possibilites and risk dying wrong rather than to live looking down and possibly missing it all.
                                                                                                                                                                                     ~Me

#4    ShadowSot

ShadowSot

Stinky Cheese

• 6,874 posts

• Oops.

Posted 05 March 2011 - 07:37 PM

I'm looking forward to this, as the meteor from Mars is still regarded as inconclusive.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.
-Terry Pratchett

#5    Kali74

Kali74

Paranormal Investigator

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 843 posts

-Jon Cypher (loosely)

Posted 05 March 2011 - 08:10 PM

View PostShadowSot, on 05 March 2011 - 07:37 PM, said:

I'm looking forward to this, as the meteor from Mars is still regarded as inconclusive.

Me too, I'm really excited about it honestly even though I should be cautious. I didn't catch anywhere when this peer review is going to be available or when any conclusion is expected. To be honest I got lost in trying to understand all the scientific data. I'm a far cry from a scientist lol.

Edited by Kali74, 05 March 2011 - 08:10 PM.

~Me

#6    ShadowSot

ShadowSot

Stinky Cheese

• 6,874 posts

• Oops.

Posted 05 March 2011 - 08:14 PM

View PostKali74, on 05 March 2011 - 08:10 PM, said:

Me too, I'm really excited about it honestly even though I should be cautious. I didn't catch anywhere when this peer review is going to be available or when any conclusion is expected. To be honest I got lost in trying to understand all the scientific data. I'm a far cry from a scientist lol.

From context, seems to be the Journal of Cosmology as for the date:

Members of the Scientific community were invited to analyze the results and to write critical commentaries or to speculate about the implications. These commentaries will be published on March 7 through March 10, 2011.

I'm looking forward to it.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.
-Terry Pratchett

#7    RuneDog

RuneDog

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 26 posts

Posted 05 March 2011 - 08:14 PM

Wow, this could be it. I'll reserve judgment until all the material is published, but this has me excited for sure.

#8    Kali74

Kali74

Paranormal Investigator

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 843 posts

-Jon Cypher (loosely)

Posted 05 March 2011 - 08:39 PM

View PostShadowSot, on 05 March 2011 - 08:14 PM, said:

From context, seems to be the Journal of Cosmology as for the date:

I'm looking forward to it.

Woo-hoo, that's soon! I was expecting to have to wait like a year lol. Thanks for pointing that out.

~Me

#9    ShadowSot

ShadowSot

Stinky Cheese

• 6,874 posts

• Oops.

Posted 05 March 2011 - 08:50 PM

View PostKali74, on 05 March 2011 - 08:39 PM, said:

Woo-hoo, that's soon! I was expecting to have to wait like a year lol. Thanks for pointing that out.

No worries, I missed it the first few times I read through, there's an actuve thread on another forum I'm at about it, almost asked a really dumb question. ^^;

Hope it'll be an online release, the only place that carry these kind of mags are in the next town over.

-Terry Pratchett

#10    lost_shaman

lost_shaman

Alien Abducter

• 5,187 posts

Posted 05 March 2011 - 09:40 PM

Here is an earlier Paper by Hoover which basically states the same conclusion published in 2008 so the Scientific community has had at least two years to shoot this down which obviously hasn't happened.

Comets, Carbonaceous Meteorites, and the Origin of the Biosphere
Hoover R.B.

Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you. - Friedrich Nietzsche

#11    Kali74

Kali74

Paranormal Investigator

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 843 posts

-Jon Cypher (loosely)

Posted 05 March 2011 - 09:46 PM

View Postlost_shaman, on 05 March 2011 - 09:40 PM, said:

Here is an earlier Paper by Hoover which basically states the same conclusion published in 2008 so the Scientific community has had at least two years to shoot this down which obviously hasn't happened.

Comets, Carbonaceous Meteorites, and the Origin of the Biosphere
Hoover R.B.

Thanks lost_shaman so is this the final step before something is declared proven?

~Me

#12    ShadowSot

ShadowSot

Stinky Cheese

• 6,874 posts

• Oops.

Posted 05 March 2011 - 10:06 PM

View PostKali74, on 05 March 2011 - 09:46 PM, said:

Thanks lost_shaman so is this the final step before something is declared proven?
I'm willing to bet this is a furthe3r and more in depth study than the original, and released to a more open journal than previously.

I like the Bad Astronomer's look at the article.

Edited by ShadowSot, 05 March 2011 - 10:13 PM.

-Terry Pratchett

#13    booNyzarC

booNyzarC

Forum Divinity

• Closed
  • 13,536 posts

Posted 06 March 2011 - 02:28 AM

Fascinating stuff, this could be incredible.  Many thanks for all of the information Kali, lost_shaman, and ShadowSot! :tu:

#14    lost_shaman

lost_shaman

Alien Abducter

• 5,187 posts

Posted 06 March 2011 - 03:57 AM

View PostShadowSot, on 05 March 2011 - 10:06 PM, said:

I'm willing to bet this is a furthe3r and more in depth study than the original, and released to a more open journal than previously.

I like the Bad Astronomer's look at the article.

Hey ShadowSot,

I don't disagree with you, but I have to note that this is potentially a "game changer" and is being handled much differently than the Arsenic discovery (GFAJ-1) was handled for instance. I admit I'm not a Scientist, but I do like to read papers and from my POV Hoover has presented a compelling case. As the Bad Astronomer's article points out this is really a question of contamination. Hoover won me over when he discussed the fact that relatively 'young' (my word not Hoover's) cyanobacterial fossil's had detectable levels of N but terrestrial cyanobacterial fossil's that are very old show no traces of N just as the material in the chondrites did not and this was consistent with his conclusion that the 'microfossils' were very old. The presence of N would almost certainly confirm that these were living structures at the same time the presence of N would suggest these were 'young' structures and thus contamination, but the absence of N is consistent with 'old' cyanobacteria fossil's and ironically this absence of N which would prove these were living structures is consistent with the lack of N observed in 'old' cyanobaterial fossil's found on Earth 2+ Billion years ago.

The evidence Hoover is presenting really leaves one with only the conclusion that living biological material was present in the chondrite material that rained down upon the Earth during the Hadean bombardment.

Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you. - Friedrich Nietzsche

#15    susieice

susieice

December's Child

• 10,852 posts

• "Some say the world will end in fire, some say in ice."
    .....Robert Frost

Posted 06 March 2011 - 04:50 AM

Wickian just posted a thread about this in the Science and Technology forum that has a pretty good link. Wonder if this is the real deal. I don't know how many of you ever read Dan Brown, but if you read Deception Point, it's about how a meteorite containing fossils is supposedly found in the Artic. Funny how sometimes fiction can mimic fact.
This is going to be an Earth shaking discovery if it pans out to be true.

"The universe is full of magical things, patiently waiting for our wits to sharpen."  Eden Phillpotts

Opponere draconem est prehendere vitam

"I'm sure the universe is full of intelligent life. It's just been too intelligent to come here." Arthur C. Clarke

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users