Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Astronaut G.Cooper tested a flying saucer...

There must be something to flying saucers when Gordon Cooper says they are the way of the future for flight...

Here's an excerpt from his book

(Sorry about lengthy quote, this is NOT from an online source, so I cannot link to it - I typed it out directly from the book - so mods, if you could please not chop it - if you must, please chop above page 235)

Page 232

And so Wendell Welling began to build saucers. He hoped they might furnish some answers to whether "a craft shaped like the saucer I had seen could show lift on a test stand, and whether the lift potential could be ascertained."

We arrived at Welling's six-hundred-acre wheat farm, situated in a fertile valley with mountains on either side. Inside a large, barn-like building, I came face-to-face with a collection of genuine made-in-the-USA flying saucers.

Some of the early ones were small, no more than two feet in diameter. The largest disk, fifty to sixty feet in diameter, had been under construction when Welling died.

(Page 233) continued...

There were several completed models of varying sizes up to twelve feet across.

I reviewed schematic drawings Welling had made to figure out how the size and weight of the vehicle affected lift, how much horsepower was required to drive it, and the revolutions per minute (rpm) needed to achieve lift and increase the vehicle's "tip speed" - the speed out on the periphery, or spinning lip, of the saucer.

Welling had found that using a dome-shaped top and relatively flat bottom caused a saucer shaped craft to act as a round on-piece airfoil - something like a Frisbee. Comparing it to a vertical wheel, which had proved to be an effective means of moving things on the ground for thousands of years, Welling had concluded that a "horizontal wheel" was an efficient air-foil with which to travel through the atmosphere.

I saw his point, and it seemed so logical as to be obvious. The lift area of a winged aircraft was limited to the underside of the wing and tail section. A saucer of equal "wing span" had much more lift area: 100 percent of it's surface provided lift.

Welling had incorporated into his design the "spinning top" he had seen on the UFO, putting a lot of thought into what he did and why it was important. His theory was that the spinning platter on top took advantage of a buildup of kinetic energy, equating it to what happened with a favorite children's toy: the spinning top.

He was certain that the giant "fly wheel" on the saucer he had seen furnished the thrust that lifted and drove the ship. He believed that the engines he and the other witnesses had initially heard were warming up

(Page 234) continued...

the saucer's huge spinning top - he estimated it might have weighed as much as twenty tons - to the necessary rpm before shutting down. "Once that weight is spinning like a huge top", he wrote, "the energy requirement to hold the rpm drops way down and the craft is able to take advantage of a great power potential with the fly wheel acting as a centrifuge pump, battery, and huge gyroscope all wrapped into one."

In theory, I found Welling's descriptions sound. He had spent the last years of his life and thousands of dollars of his own money to prove these theories, and I now wondered: Did they fly?

I was invited to take the controls of the largest "flyable" saucer in the barn and give it a whirl. Approximately twelve feet in diameter, the saucer was constructed of silk cloth stretched over balsam wood, making it very light. The bigger saucer still under construction was being crafted of more durable materials.

Welling had not attempted to develop a propulsion system. Having focused his efforts on aerodynamics, he chose to power his man made saucer by an electrical generator that drove an onboard fan, which pushed cold air around for thrust.

In addition to a heavy-duty electrical cord that ran from the generator to the fan unit, the saucer was tethered to the ground by a half-inch steel cable that looked to be about twenty feet long - meaning that I wouldn't be going for any altitude records.

I sat at the control station about ten feet away. The sole "flight control" was an airplane-type stick. Pulling it back increased the rpm to the fan and provided greater lift, I was told; pushing it forward decreased lift.

(Page 235) continued...

When the generator was fired up, the top section of the saucer began to spin, just as in the big saucer Welling had reported seeing twenty years earlier. Then the bottom section started spinning too, so there were two counter-rotating discs. In Welling's design, the speed with which the bottom disk spun controlled the slots that the air flowed through. The cold air flow, which kept it airborne, was pushed horizontally over the curved surfaces of the facing plates and downward toward the ground. The more air that was moved, the greater the lift.

The only noise in the room was the slight whir of the generator.

I applied gentle backward pressure on the stick, and the saucer jumped off the test stand, soundlessly, and rose into the air effortlessly to ten feet or so. I was amazed at the ease with which the bird took flight. Up and down it went as I moved the stick forward and back.

Compared with other aircraft I'd tested, this was a pretty crude model. But from the moment I first pushed back on the stick, I was extremely impressed with the saucer's lift capabilities. With very little power - the fan wasn't even powerful enough to move air effectively through a large room on a hot day - this thing flat-out flew.

There was a device - a counter-balanced scale with weights of known quantity on the other end - hooked up to the saucer to measure the lift it attained in pounds, but I didn't need to check the numbers. I could tell by the feel of the stick. I flew the saucer for about ten minutes, and the experience really opened my eyes to what a vehicle of this configuration would do; specifically, the tremendous lift that could be developed from the saucer shape.

Page 236 continued...

Boy, I thought, we've been going the wrong way all these years with winged aircraft.

Excerpt from Page 237:

(Paragraph 2)

Ever since that day in Utah, I have been convinced that saucers are the aircraft design of the future - both for this world and for travel beyond.

-------------------------------------------------ooOOOoo------------------------------------------------------

Edited by Paxus

According to Col. Steve Wilson, these human-made UFOs were part of the "MAJIC PROJECTS", although each component of these had only a limited knowledge of the rest--if any:

SIGMA is the project which first established communications with the Aliens and is responsible for communications.

PLATO is the project responsible for Diplomatic Relations with the Aliens. This project secured a formal treaty with the aliens.

AQUARIUS is the project which compiled the history of the Alien presence and interaction on Earth and the HOMO SAPIENS.

GARNET is the project responsible for control of all information and documents regarding the Alien subjects and accountability of their information and documents.

PLUTO is a project responsible for evaluating all UFO and IAC information pertaining to space technology.

POUNCE project was formed to recover all downed and/or crashed craft and Aliens. This project provided cover stories and operations to mask the true endeavor, whenever necessary. Covers which have been used were crashed experimental aircraft, construction, Mining, etc. This project has been successful and is ongoing today.

NRO is the National Reconnaissance Organization based at Fort Carson, Colorado. It's responsible for security on all Alien or Alien Spacecraft connected to the projects.

DELTA is the designation for the specific arm of NRO which is especially trained and tasked with security of all MAJI projects. It's a security team and task force from NRO especially trained to provide Alien tasked projects and LUNA security (Also has the CODE NAME: "Men In Black" [MIB]). This project is ongoing.

BLUE TEAM is the first project responsible for reaction and/or recovery of downed and/or crashed Alien craft and/or Aliens. This was a U.S. Air Force Material Command project.

SIGN is the second project responsible for collection of intelligence and determining whether Alien presence constitutes a treat to the U.S. National Security. SIGN absorbed the BLUE TEAM project. This was a U.S. Air Force and CIA project.

REDLIGHT was the project to test fly recovered Alien craft. This project was postponed after every attempt resulted in the destruction of the craft and death of the pilots. This project was carried out at AREA 51, Groom Lake, (Dreamland) in Nevada. Project REDLIGHT was resumed in 1972. This project has been partially successful. UFO sightings of craft accompanied by Black Helicopters are Project REDLIGHT assets. This project is now ongoing at AREA 51 in Nevada. (Believed to have moved to Mexico at this time for testing).

SNOWBIRD was established as a cover for Project Redlight. A "Flying Saucer" type aircraft was built using conventional technology. It was unveiled to the press and flown in public on several occasions. The purpose was to explain accidental sightings or disclosures of Redlight as having been Snowbird crafts. This was a very successful disinformation operation. This project is only activated when needed. This deception has not been used for many years. This project is currently in mothballs, until it is needed again.

BLUE BOOK was a U.S. Air Force, UFO, and Alien Intelligence collection and disinformation project. This project was terminated and its collected information and duties were absorbed by project Aquarius. A classified report named "Grudge/Blue Book, Report Number 13" is the only significant information derived from the project and is unavailable to the public.

[End of Colonel Wilson's report.]

http://www.galactic-server.net/rune/stevewilson.html

I don't know how much of this is true. There was a Project Pounce at one time, but it involved chasing UFOs were high speed jets to get close up pictures of them and things like that.

There were projects like Moon Dust and Blue Fly to retrive wreckage and return it to Wright-Patterson AFB and other facilities. We don't know many of the details about those, except that they were used overseas from time to time to collect wreckage and debris, and probably at Kecksburg in 1965.

We do know that the military has had an interest in building "flying saucers" going back to the 1940s and 1950s, although not how successful these projects were. Was thuis called Project Redlight and Snowbird, or something else? We don't know.

Edited by TheMcGuffin
  • Like 1

By the way - those quotes in the OP are from Gordon Cooper's book, "Leap of Faith"

By the way - those quotes in the OP are from Gordon Cooper's book, "Leap of Faith"

Thank you.

Do any of you really think we will get the Good`s from Uncle Sam ? :rolleyes:

What do you mean DONTEATUS?

Do you mean, do we really think the US has saucer shaped craft?

I think the technology is there.

Apart from Gordon Cooper's comments in his book (especially relating to the prototype he flew) you're probably aware that I've looked at a lot of plans of ideas for saucer shaped craft from the books from www.ufohowto.com.

So, yes, I think some UFO are man-made.

Edited by Paxus

• 4 years later...

If Paxus and the other posters are still around, I wonder what they'd think of the suggestion that Cooper made the story up? Or dreamed it and later thought he remembered it?

• Like 4

Such a Strange man Cooper, Space does bad things to ones brain cells ! :tu:

Many of these "flying saucers" worked on aerodynamics which are better performed by a helicopter.

Large drones really.

Many of these "flying saucers" worked on aerodynamics which are better performed by a helicopter.

Large drones really.

examples please?

Look up propeller toy.

why cant you just post a link?

I dont click any vids without at least a description... what is the reference to idiot stick?

I dont click any vids without at least a description... what is the reference to idiot stick?

Large drones really.

Now look, you said...see bolded... and the OP is about someone claiming to have flown them, for which I asked for examples...to back up your claim Many of these "flying saucers" worked on aerodynamics

So if many saucers worked on aerodynamics.... why cant you find examples? Rather than just post childish vids?

Heres an example I can find

avro5.jpg

Now look, you said...see bolded... and the OP is about someone claiming to have flown them, for which I asked for examples...to back up your claim Many of these "flying saucers" worked on aerodynamics

So if many saucers worked on aerodynamics.... why cant you find examples? Rather than just post childish vids?

avro5.jpg

You mean to say that you needed this pic to be able to know what was being talked about?

What can I say?

You mean to say that you needed this pic to be able to know what was being talked about?

What can I say?

Ha, youve got nothing have you?

Many of these "flying saucers"

he said... but cant prove

avro5.jpg

That thing's not even flying! The pilot's just walking it around! :w00t:

• Like 4

That thing's not even flying! The pilot's just walking it around! :w00t:

Fred-Flintstone-Barney-Rubble-Car.jpg

• Like 2

Large drones really.

Oops, I opened the side door for that detour.

MY theme was Cooper's claim to have personally controlled a model's tethered flight, using a joy stick from a bench on the barn, and then his ruminations about how important such new technology was going to be --

I asked, how could we believe it was ALL in his imagination?

BECAUSE IT WAS.

The model never flew, he just fiddled with the joystick, and later writing his book, he "remembered" it flying around the room.

But it didn't.

This is the guy so many people swear we need to believe every word from, because he's a space hero.

• Like 1

Oops, I opened the side door for that detour.

MY theme was Cooper's claim to have personally controlled a model's tethered flight, using a joy stick from a bench on the barn, and then his ruminations about how important such new technology was going to be --

I asked, how could we believe it was ALL in his imagination?

BECAUSE IT WAS.

The model never flew, he just fiddled with the joystick, and later writing his book, he "remembered" it flying around the room.

But it didn't.

This is the guy so many people swear we need to believe every word from, because he's a space hero.

I don't know anything of Cooper, and so I don't have any hang ups whether he did what he claimed or not.

But so far as saucer shaped flying objects of the aerodynamic type - there have been hundreds built from the end of WWII by nations and hobbyists.

I don't know anything of Cooper, and so I don't have any hang ups whether he did what he claimed or not.

But so far as saucer shaped flying objects of the aerodynamic type - there have been hundreds built from the end of WWII by nations and hobbyists.

Right. They're called Frisbees. If a saucer shaped object isn't spinning, it isn't flying. Sure, I had a toy hovercraft driven by propellor when I was a kid, but that's not really flying, as in a flying saucer.

• Like 2

Right. They're called Frisbees. If a saucer shaped object isn't spinning, it isn't flying. Sure, I had a toy hovercraft driven by propellor when I was a kid, but that's not really flying, as in a flying saucer.

Neil DeGrasse Tyson would agree!! He thinks only stupid alien would build spinning UFO's.

deGrasse Tyson then moves onto the science:

There are some fundamental problems with an entire rotating ship. If you set it into rotation, something else has to be rotating in the opposite direction … you learn it in the second week of physics — these are laws that apply to the entire universe — it’s the conservation of angular momentum.

So, for a saucer to just spin up, I just don’t see the point … those are the stupid aliens.

LINK - Only 'Stupid Aliens' Would Build Flying Saucers That Spin

But this intuitive Aussie got there!! By large Aussies are a fairly level headed bunch, shame one or two lately have let Chrlz and I down so much!!

LINK - Inventor is building his own flying saucer in the Hunter Valley

10369179_664813020255917_8374779438861587818_n.jpg

Could Cooper have tested something like this??

Then we had other VTOL principals that might make on think they were "saucer shaped" but used a different principle, I always liked the Dynafan models :D

I do not doubt Jim for one moment, but there will be FTB proponents to satisfy no doubt, as such I feel these alternatives could well be what Cooper was talking about,

AstroKinetics-Article.jpg

René Couzinet built his "aerodyne" in France back in the 50's using 135 hp engines.

LINK - René Couzinet - From glory to decline Sad story that one.

couzinet10.jpg

I guess it is vaguely possible he did fly something like one of the above and embellished the tale, but there is no proof even that much happened other than a claim in a novel. Not much to go of.

ETA annoying how some photos do not show - why is that??

Edited by psyche101

The thing about saucer shaped craft, and other super-de-dooperty advanced things is we never see them. Because they're simply not practical. By that I mean the believers say we've reverse engineered anti-gravity propulsion given to us by the aliens in the 40s, or 70s, or anytime in between, depending on who's talking. I say, "Where's the evidence?" If the gov'ts have it, you're darned tootin' it would've filtered down to us plebes somewhere along the line. And if the governments are keeping the tech for themselves, well, why did they use the same sort of old-timey chemical rockets for New Horizons that Virgin Galactic and SpaceX use?