Jump to content




Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.


- - - - -

An example of law based on religion


  • Please log in to reply
133 replies to this topic

#16    Setton

Setton

    Psychic Spy

  • Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,557 posts
  • Joined:05 Feb 2011
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Durham, England

Posted 08 March 2011 - 08:26 PM

View PostBeckys_Mom, on 08 March 2011 - 08:21 PM, said:

Evidence or no evidence - he calls it a bad law... so be it

No no, sorry that's not what I meant. I meant having no evidence to say it is based on religion. So the title of the thread is inaccurate. There is evidence that it is a bad law. The article namely. Anyone with any feelings at all will say it is a bad law based on this case. But they cannot say it is based on religion.

'Good' is not the same as 'nice'.
'No, murder is running your broadsword through someone because he worships a different God to you... Or is that evangelism? I get confused.'
When they discover the centre of the universe, a lot of people are going to be disappointed - They are not it.
I don't object to the concept of a deity but I'm baffled by the notion of one that takes attendance.

#17    danielost

danielost

    Forum Divinity

  • Member
  • 31,308 posts
  • Joined:26 Nov 2007
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:the only known inhabited planet in the universe

Posted 08 March 2011 - 08:45 PM

mormons are anti abortion except in cases like this one.

I am a Mormon.  If I don't use Mormons believe, those my beliefs only.
I do not go to church haven't for thirty years.
There are other Mormons on this site. So if I have misspoken about the beliefs. I welcome their input.
I am not perfect and never will be. I do strive to be true to myself. I do my best to stay true to the Mormon faith. Thanks for caring and if you don't peace be with you.

#18    Beckys_Mom

Beckys_Mom

    Sarcastic Muppet..!

  • Member
  • 51,196 posts
  • Joined:01 Nov 2005
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:Ireland

  • "I hate pretentious people. I mean, what is the point in applying exorbitantly extensive vocabulary, it is just straightforwardly unnecessary".

Posted 08 March 2011 - 09:19 PM

View PostSetton, on 08 March 2011 - 08:26 PM, said:

No no, sorry that's not what I meant. I meant having no evidence to say it is based on religion. So the title of the thread is inaccurate. There is evidence that it is a bad law. The article namely. Anyone with any feelings at all will say it is a bad law based on this case. But they cannot say it is based on religion.

Normally it is religion based though.. I think to go on and on whether it i or not - is nit picking or if you like to split hairs... fact is it is a law that many do not like

I on the other hand am against abortion in general ...

Edited by Beckys_Mom, 08 March 2011 - 09:20 PM.

Posted ImageRAW Berris... Dare you enter?

If there's a heaven...I hope to hell I get there !

#19    SilverCougar

SilverCougar

    All hail the gods of Rum

  • Member
  • 10,873 posts
  • Joined:02 Feb 2004
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:Kirkland, WA *strikes a pose*

  • The origonal Damneddirtytreehugging-
    paganhippiewerecougarrum pirate.

Posted 08 March 2011 - 09:29 PM

View PostDarkwind, on 08 March 2011 - 07:43 PM, said:

But it wasn't murder. It was a medical procedure. To say that woman murdered her child is cruel and inhuman.

Making her give birth to a child who was going to die like that outside the womb is cruel and inhuman.   *shakes her head*  People need to learn how to differentiate...   Not every abortion is as they fear..  to "murder a life needlessly" as they say...

Doctor_Strangelove: If only I lived in a world with no risk of piss tests. Then I could just sit here and
watch videos on angelfish and become one with nature.

#20    Mr Walker

Mr Walker

    Forum Divinity

  • Member
  • 16,154 posts
  • Joined:09 Nov 2005
  • Gender:Not Selected
  • Location:Australia

  • Sometimes the Phantom leaves the jungle, and walks the streets of the city like an ordinary man.

Posted 09 March 2011 - 07:34 AM

When i was an athiest i was opposed to unrestricted abortion and for voluntary euthansia  As one who "walks with god" my views are unchanged. That;s because they are ethical views, based on the basic rights of human beings ie all humans have a basic right to life, everything being equal, and all humans have a right to end their life, if they are capable of making an adult rational decision.


I know some peoples' opinions on abortion and euthanasia are informed by their religious beliefs, but logical ethical athiests can be strongly opposed to the principle of abortion on demand too. It  just depends how one views an unborn child.  I see it as an individual human, temporarily attached to its  mother. Some see it as an integral part of its mother, like an appendix.

Edited by Mr Walker, 09 March 2011 - 07:36 AM.

You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars; you have a right to be here. And whether or not it is clear to you, no doubt the universe is unfolding as it should.

Therefore be at peace with God, whatever you conceive Him to be, and whatever your labors and aspirations, in the noisy confusion of life keep peace with your soul.

With all its sham, drudgery and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world..

Be cheerful.

Strive to be happy.

#21    GIDEON MAGE

GIDEON MAGE

    MASTER PSYCHIC

  • Member
  • 3,813 posts
  • Joined:01 Feb 2005
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:DANIA BEACH, FLORIDA

  • I ONLY BELIEVE WHAT I PERCEIVE WITH MY OWN PSYCHIC POWERS, OR MAKES LOGICAL SENSE. SHOW ME SOMETHING THAT WORKS AND I'LL AGREE.

Posted 09 March 2011 - 01:34 PM

View PostMr Walker, on 09 March 2011 - 07:34 AM, said:

When i was an athiest i was opposed to unrestricted abortion and for voluntary euthansia  As one who "walks with god" my views are unchanged. That;s because they are ethical views, based on the basic rights of human beings ie all humans have a basic right to life, everything being equal, and all humans have a right to end their life, if they are capable of making an adult rational decision.


I know some peoples' opinions on abortion and euthanasia are informed by their religious beliefs, but logical ethical athiests can be strongly opposed to the principle of abortion on demand too. It  just depends how one views an unborn child.  I see it as an individual human, temporarily attached to its  mother. Some see it as an integral part of its mother, like an appendix.
Name a single atheist who has bombed an abortion clinic!

   GIDEON MAGE


Is a shameless act of self-promotion vain, or merely a good, practiical idea? Click here to find out!
http://www.examiner....ew-Age-Examiner

#22    Paranoid Android

Paranoid Android

    ????????

  • 26,886 posts
  • Joined:17 Apr 2005
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Sydney

  • Paranoid Android... Gorram it kid, let's frak this thing and go home! Make it so!

Posted 09 March 2011 - 02:34 PM

From the original article:

The law, the only one of its kind in America, prohibits abortions after the 20th week.

I think there's a reason the law is the only one of its kind.  I don't know the specific laws in Australia, but I'm pretty sure there are avenues to explore in aborting a foetus late if there is medical reason to do so.  I do not oppose this, nor do I think the Bible demands we care nothing for the welfare of the mother in pregnancy.

~ Guybrush Threepwood (Mighty PirateTM)!

Edited by Guybrush Threepwood, 09 March 2011 - 02:40 PM.

Posted Image

My blog is now taking a new direction.  Dedicated to my father who was a great inspiration in my life, I wish to honour his memory (RIP, dad) by sharing with the world what he had always kept to himself.  More details, http://www.unexplain...showentry=27811

#23    ChewiesArmy

ChewiesArmy

    Apparition

  • Member
  • PipPip
  • 317 posts
  • Joined:31 Jan 2011
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Rockford, Illinois

  • When you were born, you cried and the world rejoiced. Live your life so that when you die, the world cries and you rejoice. - Cherokee

Posted 09 March 2011 - 03:03 PM

View PostGIDEON MAGE, on 09 March 2011 - 01:34 PM, said:

Name a single atheist who has bombed an abortion clinic!

Uhhh...did I miss something? I didn't see Mr Walker claim one ever has.

"And how do you know God doesn't swear? Especially taking a good look at the human race, it must be a part of his daily ritual" -Lewis Black

#24    Setton

Setton

    Psychic Spy

  • Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,557 posts
  • Joined:05 Feb 2011
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Durham, England

Posted 09 March 2011 - 04:30 PM

View PostBeckys_Mom, on 08 March 2011 - 09:19 PM, said:

Normally it is religion based though.. I think to go on and on whether it i or not - is nit picking or if you like to split hairs... fact is it is a law that many do not like

I on the other hand am against abortion in general ...

I'm sorry but I really have to disagree with you on this one. It's not nit-picking to point out that the title of a thread has nothing to do with its contents or that the OP seems to be using an article simply to have a go at religion even when it's not involved.

'Good' is not the same as 'nice'.
'No, murder is running your broadsword through someone because he worships a different God to you... Or is that evangelism? I get confused.'
When they discover the centre of the universe, a lot of people are going to be disappointed - They are not it.
I don't object to the concept of a deity but I'm baffled by the notion of one that takes attendance.

#25    Beckys_Mom

Beckys_Mom

    Sarcastic Muppet..!

  • Member
  • 51,196 posts
  • Joined:01 Nov 2005
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:Ireland

  • "I hate pretentious people. I mean, what is the point in applying exorbitantly extensive vocabulary, it is just straightforwardly unnecessary".

Posted 09 March 2011 - 05:30 PM

View PostSetton, on 09 March 2011 - 04:30 PM, said:

I'm sorry but I really have to disagree with you on this one. It's not nit-picking to point out that the title of a thread has nothing to do with its contents or that the OP seems to be using an article simply to have a go at religion even when it's not involved.


Your only issue is he mentions religion based.. I think you are nit picking.. when in reality - anti abortion is usually religious protesters.. People see them on the news and in the new articles.. I feel no point in nit picking over a gerneral statement from Darwind

Posted ImageRAW Berris... Dare you enter?

If there's a heaven...I hope to hell I get there !

#26    Setton

Setton

    Psychic Spy

  • Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,557 posts
  • Joined:05 Feb 2011
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Durham, England

Posted 09 March 2011 - 05:33 PM

View PostBeckys_Mom, on 09 March 2011 - 05:30 PM, said:

Your only issue is he mentions religion based.. I think you are nit picking.. when in reality - anti abortion is usually religious protesters.. People see them on the news and in the new articles.. I feel no point in nit picking over a gerneral statement from Darwind

I guess it's pretty obvious we're not going to reach an agreement on this. I just think it's wrong to attribute something to people who had nothing to do with it.

'Good' is not the same as 'nice'.
'No, murder is running your broadsword through someone because he worships a different God to you... Or is that evangelism? I get confused.'
When they discover the centre of the universe, a lot of people are going to be disappointed - They are not it.
I don't object to the concept of a deity but I'm baffled by the notion of one that takes attendance.

#27    Beckys_Mom

Beckys_Mom

    Sarcastic Muppet..!

  • Member
  • 51,196 posts
  • Joined:01 Nov 2005
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:Ireland

  • "I hate pretentious people. I mean, what is the point in applying exorbitantly extensive vocabulary, it is just straightforwardly unnecessary".

Posted 09 March 2011 - 05:46 PM

View PostSetton, on 09 March 2011 - 05:33 PM, said:

I guess it's pretty obvious we're not going to reach an agreement on this. I just think it's wrong to attribute something to people who had nothing to do with it.

And I feel Darkwind is entitled to his own views so yea we disagree here

Posted ImageRAW Berris... Dare you enter?

If there's a heaven...I hope to hell I get there !

#28    Lion6969

Lion6969

    Poltergeist

  • Member
  • 2,229 posts
  • Joined:20 Aug 2010

Posted 09 March 2011 - 09:25 PM

View PostEmma_Acid, on 08 March 2011 - 06:34 PM, said:

Not necessarily, but it is true that most anti-abortion activists are religiously orientated.

That's a bit of sweeping statement.


#29    eqgumby

eqgumby

    Telekinetic

  • Member
  • 7,576 posts
  • Joined:15 Aug 2006
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Florida Panhandle

  • If you have genuine psi-powers, you can change the world overnight. So do it, or stop playing Dragon-Ball Z with my brain!

Posted 09 March 2011 - 09:43 PM

Let's cut through the bull...
Abortion at 21 weeks, is no crueler than dying outside the womb as 22 weeks. Do you have any idea how an abortion is performed at 20 weeks? Do you know live births DO occur at 20 weeks, just like was the case in this womans situation. If its is born LIVE during the abortion procedure, what do you think the medical techs do with the fetus? Try to comfort it in some manner or show the fetus some compassion? Nope. I'll leave it up to you to look up yourself.

I'm not religious. I think this law is absurd only if it forces the woman to risk her life after the 20 week window.

Credentials/Background<--This is a link!


It's not about tolerance and it's certainly not about searching for truth. It's about the chic of the intelligentsia. ---  Harmon-E Cherry
http://chzgifs.files...chucknorris.gif

#30    Setton

Setton

    Psychic Spy

  • Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,557 posts
  • Joined:05 Feb 2011
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Durham, England

Posted 09 March 2011 - 09:45 PM

View PostBeckys_Mom, on 09 March 2011 - 05:46 PM, said:

And I feel Darkwind is entitled to his own views so yea we disagree here

Of course he's entitled to them. He just shouldn't make things up to support them and relay them to others knowing they are false.

'Good' is not the same as 'nice'.
'No, murder is running your broadsword through someone because he worships a different God to you... Or is that evangelism? I get confused.'
When they discover the centre of the universe, a lot of people are going to be disappointed - They are not it.
I don't object to the concept of a deity but I'm baffled by the notion of one that takes attendance.




0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users