Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

The Lines Between Sci Fi And Reality Blurred?

• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#1    Bracket

Bracket

Evil Monkey Genius

• 3,968 posts

• I'm the fourth wise monkey.

Posted 11 March 2011 - 10:55 PM

www.birminghamsciencecity.co.uk said:

Perhaps inspired by TV favourites such as Doctor Who and Ashes to Ashes, nearly a third of Britons (30%) believe that time travel is actually possible. The results were revealed in a survey, launched at the start of National Science and Engineering Week (11-20 March) by Birmingham Science City (www.birminghamsciencecity.co.uk), which aimed to see just how blurred the lines between science and fiction really are.

Posted Image Read more...

I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung.

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn

*Note to self, need more henchman, good ones this time. Also, start auditions for new female lab assistant.

#2    Tann

Tann

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 37 posts

• You don't know.

Posted 11 March 2011 - 11:38 PM

According to the Placebo effect.. what we believe in can and will manifest true results.  Discuss.

#3    Bracket

Bracket

Evil Monkey Genius

• 3,968 posts

Posted 11 March 2011 - 11:41 PM

View PostTann, on 11 March 2011 - 11:38 PM, said:

According to the Placebo effect.. what we believe in can and will manifest true results.  Discuss.

So, if we believe in time travel, it magically exists?  :huh:

And can you please stop saying "discuss", i've already read your threads that end with the same thing.

I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung.

*Note to self, need more henchman, good ones this time. Also, start auditions for new female lab assistant.

#4    Tann

Tann

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 37 posts

• You don't know.

Posted 12 March 2011 - 12:01 AM

View PostBracket, on 11 March 2011 - 11:41 PM, said:

So, if we believe in time travel, it magically exists?  :huh:

And can you please stop saying "discuss", i've already read your threads that end with the same thing.

The repetitive nature of my final wording resonates within.  You remember it already, and I've only used it a handful of times.  Such is the nature of the beast.  

Who are we to bonk what others believe?  Their right to exist permeates beyond any perception I could pull upon them.  All I was implicating was that according to the placebo effect, in it's basest form, it dictates that our beliefs are stronger than the material world.

Time travel is in iffy-subject.  I, presently, have no stock in this belief.  It does not, however, permit me to disbelieve in it either.  A century ago, space travel would be clumped within the same genre of science-fiction to be honest.

#5    JGirl

JGirl

Pajama Goddess

• 9,036 posts

Posted 12 March 2011 - 12:30 AM

View PostTann, on 12 March 2011 - 12:01 AM, said:

The repetitive nature of my final wording resonates within.  You remember it already, and I've only used it a handful of times.  Such is the nature of the beast.  
but why?

#6    Sir Wearer of Hats

Sir Wearer of Hats

SCIENCE!

• 15,165 posts

Posted 13 March 2011 - 09:39 AM

Goes to show whoever wrote the article doesn't watch TV because Ashes to Ashes isn't about Time Travel. It just LOOKS LIKE it's about Time Travel. It's actually a story of personal redemption SPOILER......... after death.

I must not fear. Fear is the Mind-Killer. It is the little death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear.
I will permit it to pass over me and to move through me. And when it is gone I will turn the inner eye to see it's path.
When the fear is gone, there will be nothing. Only I will remain.

You may think you're cool, but you'll never be as cool as Peter Capaldi with an electric guitar, on a tank, playing the Doctor Who theme.

#7    Bracket

Bracket

Evil Monkey Genius

• 3,968 posts

Posted 14 March 2011 - 07:57 AM

View PostWearer of Hats, on 13 March 2011 - 09:39 AM, said:

Goes to show whoever wrote the article doesn't watch TV because Ashes to Ashes isn't about Time Travel. It just LOOKS LIKE it's about Time Travel. It's actually a story of personal redemption SPOILER......... after death.

Ok....... But that has very little to do with the topic.

#8    d e v i c e

d e v i c e

Ambassador of Fear

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,747 posts

Posted 14 March 2011 - 11:12 AM

Im surprised and yet not surprised at the same time.

#9    Pretty Obscure

Pretty Obscure

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 41 posts

• I'm Pretty Obscure, you've probably never heard of me.

Posted 14 March 2011 - 11:35 AM

"Nearly a quarter (24%) of people are wrong in their belief that humans can be teleported."

There is no scientific proof that teleportation is possible or impossible, it is simply a theory.

"Nearly 50% of adults wrongly believe that memory-erasing technology exists."

There is absolutely no way to know. It is plausible however even if it did exist government would probably keep it under wraps. (And if you learned about it they'd probably use it on you.)

"More than 40% of people incorrectly believe that hover boards exist."

Hover technology does exist, it's all a matter of implementation.

This poll seems incredibly bias and close-minded and they speak of science as though it's fact.
Scientific laws are simply widely believed observations that at any given moment can be proved or disproved with newly found evidence and study..

I'm Pretty Obscure, you've probably never heard of me.

#10    xXHellkittiesXx

xXHellkittiesXx

Extraterrestrial Entity

• PipPipPip
  • 403 posts

• >^.^<

Posted 14 March 2011 - 11:59 AM

Wait.....Lightsabers don't exist?!  I'll never be a Jedi...:(

#11    Pretty Obscure

Pretty Obscure

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 41 posts

Posted 14 March 2011 - 12:25 PM

View PostxXHellkittiesXx, on 14 March 2011 - 11:59 AM, said:

Wait.....Lightsabers don't exist?!  I'll never be a Jedi...:(

There are hopes yet, my friend.

There is a newly invented device that absorbs lasers.
If they could use that device to allow a laser to go, say 3 feet and then be absorbed... you have yourself a crude lightsaber.
Only the future holds the answer but it's surprisingly plausible.

#12    angi chiesa

angi chiesa

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 273 posts

Posted 14 March 2011 - 12:29 PM

If you believe in hoverboards,then you probably believe in hovering spacecraft,well how else can a crop circle be made

#13    Pretty Obscure

Pretty Obscure

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 41 posts

Posted 14 March 2011 - 12:39 PM

View Postangi chiesa, on 14 March 2011 - 12:29 PM, said:

If you believe in hoverboards,then you probably believe in hovering spacecraft,well how else can a crop circle be made

Just because it's not practical doesn't mean it's not possible.
And just because it's not mainstream doesn't mean it doesn't exist.

Edited by The one known simply as L, 14 March 2011 - 12:42 PM.

#14    angi chiesa

angi chiesa

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 273 posts

Posted 14 March 2011 - 01:16 PM

Dream all you like,but time travel will not happen on this planet,cos noone from the future has come back ,not even with a hoverboard

#15    eqgumby

eqgumby

Telekinetic

• 7,576 posts

• If you have genuine psi-powers, you can change the world overnight. So do it, or stop playing Dragon-Ball Z with my brain!

Posted 14 March 2011 - 01:40 PM

How telling. People believe in sci-fi inspired stuff.

For those babbling about "Ooooh, it's possible, yada yada..."  Keep in mind, that's what sci-fi is all about, fiction based on science. Unlike pure fantasy. Yes, hover-boards, time travel, light sabers, are all theoretically plausible on some level, just like inter-stellar space travel is theoretically possible.

Discuss. (How pretentious).

Credentials/Background<--This is a link!

It's not about tolerance and it's certainly not about searching for truth. It's about the chic of the intelligentsia. ---  Harmon-E Cherry
http://chzgifs.files...chucknorris.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users