Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * * 2 votes

The Office of Naval Intelligence and UFOs.

• Please log in to reply
64 replies to this topic

#16    skyeagle409

skyeagle409

Forum Divinity

• 32,469 posts

• Keep Your Mach Up and Check Six

Posted 02 April 2011 - 08:48 PM

View Postkarl 12, on 01 April 2011 - 02:22 PM, said:

No probs matey - it's certainly an interesting subject and the official Naval connection to the UFO subject does seem to be a bit of a slippery one - ONI documentation appears to be a bit scarce but there is this report from 1949 which mentions some interesting UFO incidents near the end:

There's also this document taken from the CIA archives regarding an unknown object over White Sands Proving Ground base in the same year and, although the case is quite a controversial one, I did find it interesting who the official report was addressed to.

Cheers.

thanks! I C. B. Moore has been brought up before in regards to the Roswell incident  and there are other letters pertaining to his sighting as well.

KEEP YOUR MACH UP AND CHECK SIX

#17    skyeagle409

skyeagle409

Forum Divinity

• 32,469 posts

• Keep Your Mach Up and Check Six

Posted 02 April 2011 - 08:50 PM

View Postdreaming, on 02 April 2011 - 12:58 AM, said:

weird stuff... nobodys going to debunk the water saucers?

They are known as  unidentified submerged objects (USOS). There is an entry in the log of Christopher Columbus on an object  seen just before they made landfall

KEEP YOUR MACH UP AND CHECK SIX

#18    DoubtingJessi

DoubtingJessi

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 256 posts

• "Some people say I've done all right for a girl."--Melanie "Brand New Key."

Posted 02 April 2011 - 09:03 PM

Not me!  I'm just not going to believe in them too much either.  :D

--Jessi/Jess/Jessica

It's official.  I hate Twitter!

#19    karl 12

karl 12

Government Agent

• 3,760 posts

Posted 08 April 2011 - 03:17 PM

Thanks for the replies, been trying to find out more about Naval UFO documentation but haven't had much luck - Jan Aldrich from Project1947.com mentions a joint USAF/Navy study of UFOs below and also makes some very astute points about US Naval UFO documents and O.N.I. UFO investigations - point 5 and 9 do make for quite interesting reading :

The sister Services, Army, USAF and CIA, DIA and NSA have released UFO files as have the British, Danes, French, Brazilians, Australians and even Uruguayans. Now the Russians.

It seems the US Navy’s turn. What specifically? For starters:

1. WWII study of ususual radar returns.

2. 4th AF documents concerning with air intrusion of Hanford, Navy radar and aircraft assets tasked to intercept same

3. About 50 AAF and Navy documents formerly TS and below refer to an equal number of other documents on the Scandinavian Ghost Rockets

4. A small amount of Navy documents in the USAF Project Blue Book files refer to other Navy documents not seen

5. AIR 203 was a Joint TS USAF/Navy study of UFOs. Yet Navy claims no records

6. BurAero analysis of AF document released not by Navy but DOD.

7. In 1951 Dr. Urner Liddel ONR claims after studying 2000 cases that UFOs are Skyhook balloons (USAF does even have 2000 cases in 1951. What does ONR have?

8. Korean War radar cases in OP322V, OP322V2 and COMNAVFE. (Some incomplete reports this era in Project BB)

9. Navy Sec Dan Kimball set UFO project in ONI in 1952

10. CIA document enumerating intel asset dedicated to UFOs refers to analyst in ONI

11. The old Hydrographic office was a published source of reports for the US Navy, merchant shipping and aircraft over waters. These were not investigated?

12. Large resevoir of “war stories” by old Navy salts, esp., aircrews and radar operators and other CIC personnel

Further, Project Blue Book record indicate numerous contacts thru Air Attaches with foreign govt on UFOs. Naval Attaches have not such contacts even with Navies that UFO significant UFO incidents or Navy UFO project, Argentina, other incidents Chile, Brazil?

In reviews for the Clinton Executive Order declassifying records over 25 years old, Army and AF comes up with hundreds of UFO documents even though these were not specifically required for index. The Navy nada.

“We do not investigate UFOs.”

“We do not keep records filed for such a topic as UFOs.”

“If we had any records on UFOs, they were destroyed.”

“If we had any records on UFOs, we transferred them to the USAF.”

The dog eat my home work. Lost at sea!

Jan Aldrich, Project1947.com

link

As for Naval declassification status, I think the stats in this FOIA UFO article just about sums things up.  :no:

Ever wonder what the U.S. Government has in their filing cabinets?  Search more than 530,000 pages of declassified documents obtained through the Freedom of Information Act (FOIA) and find out..

This section contains batches of documents that have been received from multiple agencies.  The FOIA request was for all documents relating to UFOs... the following is what was released:

Army - 355 Pages - 22 megs

Central Intelligence Agency [2,763 Pages]

Defense Intelligence Agency UFO Files Through 1979 [204 Pages]
Defense Intelligence Agency UFO Files from 1979-1989 [12 Pages]
Defense Intelligence Agency UFO Files From 1990 to date [30 Pages]

Department of Defense [270 Pages]

Federal Bureau of Investigation UFO Documents [1,600 Pages] - [ Part 01 | Part 02 | Part 03 | Part 04 | Part 05 | Part 06 | Part 07 | Part 08 | Part 09 | Part 10 | Part 11 | Part 12 | Part 13 | Part 14 | Part 15 | Part 16 ]

John F. Kennedy Library [127 Pages]

NASA Headquarters [131 Pages]

National Reconnaisance Office UFO Documents (No Records)
National Security Agency's UFO Files [159 Pages]
National Security Agency's Once Exempt From Release [254 Pages]

Navy (No Records)

Office of the Assistant Secretary of Defense [132 Pages]

Space Command [7 Pages]

Wright Patterson Air Force Base [910 Pages] - All documents relating to Project Sign and Grudge[ January through August, 1948 | September through December, 1948, 1949.

link

Cheers.

#20    TheMcGuffin

TheMcGuffin

Government Agent

• 3,965 posts

Posted 08 April 2011 - 04:42 PM

Dealing with UFO investigations is like a big shell game, since we know for a fact that there were many classified investigations that have ever been revealed publicly--going back to the "foo fighters" in World War II.

A vast number of records are simply "lost" in one way or another, and the agencies concerned claim not to know what became of them, or that they were shredded and so on.  This is plenty of evidence of a cover up here--always has been.

"The stuff that dreams are made of"

#21    karl 12

karl 12

Government Agent

• 3,760 posts

Posted 08 April 2011 - 05:49 PM

Hey McGuffin, it states here that the Office of Naval Intelligence is the oldest (and therefore by default the most senior) member of the United States Intelligence Community so maybe the UFO investigation buck realy does stop with them - they've certainly got a very intriguing history (particularly with the inception of the NSA) and documents like this one and points listed above by researcher Jan Aldrich realy do seem to contradict the claims on the U.S. Navy's UFO 'fact sheet'.

UFO Fact Sheet

There is no central office or activity in the Department of the Navy assigned the mission of collecting and maintaining information on UFO phenomenon, paranormal activity, and/or similar incidents.

link

Cheers.

#22    karl 12

karl 12

Government Agent

• 3,760 posts

Posted 08 April 2011 - 06:10 PM

Drreaming, thanks for the post -I don't know if you've seen them but there are some interesting statements below about the subject made by Russian Naval Officers taken from this article featured on Fox News website:

“On several occasions the instruments gave reading of material objects moving at incredible speed. Calculations showed speeds of about 230 knots, of 400 kph. Speeding so fast is a challenge even on the surface. But water resistance is much higher. It was like the objects defied the laws of physics. There’s only one explanation: the creatures who built them far surpass us in development".
Russian Naval Rear Admiral Yury Beketov

“Ocean UFOs often show up wherever our or NATO’s fleets concentrate. Near Bahamas, Bermudas, Puerto Rico. They are most often seen in the deepest part of the Atlantic Ocean, in the southern part of the Bermuda Triangle, and also in the Caribbean Sea.”
Captain 1st rank Igor Barklay

“Fifty percent of UFO encounters are connected with oceans. Fifteen more – with lakes. So UFOs tend to stick to the water".
Vladimir Azhazha,Russian Naval Officer

There are also some others here about the UFO subject from various Admirals and I do have a lot of sympathy with Admiral Norton's comments.  

"According to worthy information of faith, in our atmosphere objects arrive at high speed. No aircraft, neither in the United States, either in the Soviet Union is currently able to achieve the speed attributed to these objects from the radars and from the observatories. These objects appear to be driven by an intelligence the way in which they fly. According to reports from scientists and technical personnel, these objects fly in formation and finish manoeuvres that seem to point out that are not completely driven from an automatic equipment. These objects are in incontestable mode the result of long investigations and highly technological and exceptional knowledge."
Admiral S. Fahrney,head of missile testing for the American Navy

"I shall be very glad to accept appointment as a member of the (NICAP) Board of Governors and be listed as a 'believer' in the reality of UFO's, with the understanding that I shall resign if it appears at any time that your big group is being used to cover up for the top brass.
I know that there is a real need to break through the official Washington brush-off and get the truth home to the people. There seems to be a great fear among the powers that be that the American people will panic if told the truth. How little they know and understand their countrymen.
I feel that millions of our people already believe in the reality of the UFO's."
Admiral M Herbert B Knowles
US Navy

"The evidence that there are objects which have been seen in our atmosphere, and even on terra firma, that cannot be accounted for either as man-made objects or as any physical force or effect known to our scientists seems to me to be overwhelming... A very large number of sightings have been vouched for by persons whose credentials seem to me unimpeachable. It is striking that so many have been trained observers, such as police officers and airline or military pilots. Their observations have in many instances... been supported either by technical means such as radar or, even more convincingly, by... interference with electrical apparatus of one sort or another..."
Admiral Lord Hill-Norton (GCB), Chief of Defense Staff, Ministry of Defense, Britain; Chairman, Military Committee of NATO; Admiral of the Fleet; Member of House of Lords.

"It is time for the truth to be brought out in open Congressional hearings. Behind the scenes high ranking Air Force officers are soberly concerned about the UFOs. But through official secrecy and ridicule, many citizens are led to believe the unknown flying objects are nonsense."
Admiral Hillenkoetter-the first Director of the CIA, 1947-50.
February 27, 1960.

Cheers.

#23    karl 12

karl 12

Government Agent

• 3,760 posts

Posted 08 April 2011 - 06:16 PM

'Admiral of the fleet' Lord Hill-Norton enquires to the whereabouts of HMS Manchester's logbook due to alleged UFO activity....only to be told it fell overboard. :no:

Originally posted by Mcrom901

Posted Image

Posted Image

DEFE 24/2092 (PDF, 16.5 Mb)

#24    karl 12

karl 12

Government Agent

• 3,760 posts

Posted 11 April 2011 - 08:12 PM

View Postquillius, on 01 April 2011 - 02:40 PM, said:

I may have asked you before but what in your opinion is a case where we have quite a bit of data and witnesses etc that leaves very little other possibilities other than that of 'ETH'?

Hey Quillius, I don't know about the ETH (or the EDH or the ITH) but I'd say for sheer 'high strangeness' the Colares case has got to be up there - as I'm sure you well know there are some truly baffling and unexplained UFO incidents out there and some of the reported object descriptions and flight characteristics sound very bizarre indeed but I don't think there's one case which will unequivocably prove to everyone that these objects are 'technological' and 'not ours' whatever I may think about the subject personally - in any case, here are some incidents that have had me scratching my head down the years, if you know of any others please feel free to add.  :tu:  

The Shag Harbour Incident

The RAF Boulmer Incident

The Little Rissington UFO Incident

The Edwards Air Force Base UFO Incident (1965)

The Stephenville/Dublin UFO Incidents

The US Coastguard Lake Erie UFO Incident

The Gosford Incident

The Minot AFB Incident (1968)

The Bariloche UFO Incident

The Bethune case (1951)

The Coyne Incident

The Tehran Incident

The Colares Incident

The Portage County Incident

The Exeter Puzzle Incident

The Canon AFB Incident (1976)

The Davis-Monthan AFB UFO Incident (1952)

The Red Bluff UFO Incident

The Yukon Territory UFO Incident (1996)

Cheers.

#25    quillius

quillius

52.0839° N, 1.4328° E

• 5,391 posts

• A man should look for what is, and not for what he thinks should be.
    Albert Einstein

Posted 11 April 2011 - 09:12 PM

View Postkarl 12, on 11 April 2011 - 08:12 PM, said:

Hey Quillius, I don't know about the ETH (or the EDH or the ITH) but I'd say for sheer 'high strangeness' the Colares case has got to be up there - as I'm sure you well know there are some truly baffling and unexplained UFO incidents out there and some of the reported object descriptions and flight characteristics sound very bizarre indeed but I don't think there's one case which will unequivocably prove to everyone that these objects are 'technological' and 'not ours' whatever I may think about the subject personally - in any case, here are some incidents that have had me scratching my head down the years, if you know of any others please feel free to add.  :tu:  

Cheers.

great stuff cheers. I think this would make a good list to go through individually in depth. I have started with portage county, I look forward to learning all about it.  :tu:

#26    booNyzarC

booNyzarC

Forum Divinity

• Closed
  • 13,536 posts

Posted 11 April 2011 - 11:15 PM

View Postkarl 12, on 11 April 2011 - 08:12 PM, said:

Cheers.
I have to agree about the Colares case.  I'm tempted to learn Portuguese just so that I can more fully research this case.  It is that compelling to me.

#27    lost_shaman

lost_shaman

Majestic 12 Operative

• 5,819 posts

Posted 11 April 2011 - 11:29 PM

View PostbooNyzarC, on 11 April 2011 - 11:15 PM, said:

I have to agree about the Colares case.  I'm tempted to learn Portuguese just so that I can more fully research this case.  It is that compelling to me.

Ha! I found years ago that after I had learned a few basic words an nuances I could more or less pick through a lot of the documents with a bit of help sometimes using a Portuguese/English translator. One you'll certainly need to learn is 'luz', meaning light.

Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you. - Friedrich Nietzsche

#28    booNyzarC

booNyzarC

Forum Divinity

• Closed
  • 13,536 posts

Posted 11 April 2011 - 11:35 PM

View Postlost_shaman, on 11 April 2011 - 11:29 PM, said:

Ha! I found years ago that after I had learned a few basic words an nuances I could more or less pick through a lot of the documents with a bit of help sometimes using a Portuguese/English translator. One you'll certainly need to learn is 'luz', meaning light.
LOL, yes, that is one that is pretty common ('luz').  I taught myself Spanish several years ago (rudimentary use, nowhere near fluency) for business purposes so I already know that I could teach myself Portugese as well.  I'm particularly confident about that because of the similarities between the two languages.

That being said...  I'd much rather read it in English so that I can't misunderstand.  And I'm also not really interested in putting in the effort.  It took months of forced submersion (constant memorization, etc...) to develop a broken grasp on Spanish and I'd rather devote my energies elsewhere.

This brings me to a question though...  what did you find as a result of your studies in this case LS?  Have you come away with an overall feeling/understanding about the whole series of events?

#29    lost_shaman

lost_shaman

Majestic 12 Operative

• 5,819 posts

Posted 12 April 2011 - 01:34 AM

View PostbooNyzarC, on 11 April 2011 - 11:35 PM, said:

LOL, yes, that is one that is pretty common ('luz').  I taught myself Spanish several years ago (rudimentary use, nowhere near fluency) for business purposes so I already know that I could teach myself Portugese as well.  I'm particularly confident about that because of the similarities between the two languages.

That being said...  I'd much rather read it in English so that I can't misunderstand.  And I'm also not really interested in putting in the effort.  It took months of forced submersion (constant memorization, etc...) to develop a broken grasp on Spanish and I'd rather devote my energies elsewhere.

I hear ya, but for what it's worth I think Portuguese is closer to English than Spanish it just seemed the Latin bases where closer and therefore I think it was a bit easier to sorta pick it up.

View PostbooNyzarC, on 11 April 2011 - 11:35 PM, said:

This brings me to a question though...  what did you find as a result of your studies in this case LS?  Have you come away with an overall feeling/understanding about the whole series of events?

Well, I certainly think it has to be the UFO 'flap' with the highest strangeness. But I didn't come away from the case with any hefty conclusions or anything.

Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you. - Friedrich Nietzsche

#30    ColoradoParanormal

ColoradoParanormal

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,321 posts

• 'Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought.'

Posted 12 April 2011 - 06:47 AM

Wow! There's a lot of information here, I've just started going through it and I've gotta say, pretty compelling. I'm on the fence about the ETH over it just being things we've created. I do believe there is life out there. Just not sure it's anymore sophisticated then us. To think, in the '60s we had the SR-71 blackbird and didn't know about it until the 90's. So, in the '60s we had that extremely fast and incredibly stealth jet that was hidden and not known for nearly 20 years!!  Since then, there has not been much that tops it. There are the stealth bombers, and the fighters. Yet, the Government has shown n told us about those. So, what AREN'T they telling us about? Trust me, what they have now would blow our minds. I promise you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users