Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

1961, Soviet Surgeon Removes His Own Appendix

Bracket

In 1961, Rogozov was stationed at a newly constructed Russian base in Antarctica. The 12 men inside were cut off from the outside world by the polar winter by March of that year.In April, the 27-year-old Rogozov began to feel ill, very ill. His symptoms were classic: he had acute appendicitis.

arrow3.gifRead more...

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Blizno

• Bracket

• Fluffybunny

• TheMcGuffin

Pfft, I used my swiss army knife to cut into my big toe and clip out an ingrown nail :P

Pfft, I used my swiss army knife to cut into my big toe and clip out an ingrown nail :P

That's slightly different. lol. :lol:

That is hardcore. Unless they did a spinal block, he had to have been feeling some serious pain while he was cutting himself.

Nice, nothing like some self surgery to make you feel like a man right? :lol:

That is hardcore. Unless they did a spinal block, he had to have been feeling some serious pain while he was cutting himself.

Vodka. I have seen Russians remove hemeroids by having a truck run over them. Kidding, I'm just to scared to look for a video that proves what I say :lol:

Vodka. I have seen Russians remove hemeroids by having a truck run over them. Kidding, I'm just to scared to look for a video that proves what I say :lol:

What, do you mean tie one end of a string to the hemorrhoids and then tie the other end to the bumper of a truck that drives away rapidly? Like a kid with a loose tooth that wants it removed?

He really took the "drastic times call for drastic measures" seriously. Wow, that's utterly amazing to do that without passing out in the process.

I guess when your life is on the line some people can find the courage to survive. Look at that guy who got trapped by a falling boulder; he had to cut off his own arm with a pocket knife to escape. I heard of a guy who ate some of his own fingers to avoid starving to death too. And then there was the guy who had both his arms cut off and blah blah blah...*trails off into oblivion*

Edited by Evilution13

I can't believe there is not one "In soviet Russia Appendix remove you" joke on here yet. :D

I can't believe there is not one "In soviet Russia Appendix remove you" joke on here yet. :D

Yea, I was waiting for an "In Soviet Russia..." joke too.

My concern is that he did it without gloves. Post operative infection is one of the most feared complications.

Everybody has this type of courage - some simply choose to accept an unnecessary fate, however, much rather than overcoming fear.

This guys balls should have their own zip code.

Lol. That's great!

This makes me proud to be a human. We are capable of amazing strength.

A simple local anesthetic would have been plenty, but I don't know if such things were available there and then. A dosing with morphine (probably easily available in medical supplies at the time) would have blocked major pain but would also have affected his surgical skills.

I can't help but revisit the movie Master and Commander when the ship's doctor has no choice but to operate on himself to remove the musket ball and bit of his own shirt that are killing him. People sometimes rise to such efforts to save their own lives and even to save the lives of others.

To be human is to have the option to rise to lofty heights.

Yea, I was waiting for an "In Soviet Russia..." joke too.

My concern is that he did it without gloves. Post operative infection is one of the most feared complications.

Soldiers on the battlefield have had spears, arrows, swords, etc. introduced into their flesh for millenia. Lots of them died after the battle was over from infections but many survived. Having one's abdomen opened is very bad news but it's not necessarily a death sentence, even before people got used to the idea that animalcules much too small to see could possibly harm a sturdy, healthy soldier and that surgeons might want to wash their own hands (folly before the germ theory of disease caught on).

He was one hard dude , seriously can you imagine opening yourself up and operating ? I sure as hell cant !

TiP.

I would be more impressed if he reinserted it then if he removed