Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * * 1 votes

New lead in the Zodiac Killer Case ?

• Please log in to reply
426 replies to this topic

#1    JonathanVonErich

JonathanVonErich

Telekinetic

• Banned
  • 7,519 posts

Posted 19 March 2011 - 11:33 PM

On February 19 America's most Wanted featured a new picture of one of the Zodiac Killer's victim, Darlene Ferrin. Pictured with Ferrin is a man of unknown identity. The man on the picture closely resembles the composite sketch of the Zodiac Killer that was formed based on eyewitness' descriptions back in 1969 shortly after the murder of Paul Stine. Police believe the photo was taken in San Francisco in the summer of 1966 or 1967.

Here is a link to the picture: New Picture of Darlene Ferrin
(Source: Zodiackiller.com and Mr. Tom Voigt)

Many people still think Darlene Ferrin knew her killer or that the two were somehow connected, so is that Zodiac on the picture with Darlene ?? For now the identity of the man on the picture remains unknown, but Zodiac Investigator Tom Voigt and others are trying to find his identity.

I'm not saying the man on the picture is indeed Zodiac, it could be simply a friend of Darlene or a family member. Some people think the man on the picture is Darlene's ex-husband, Jim Phillips. However many people think the man on the picture don't really looks like mr. Phillips, so we can't be 100% sure about the identity of this man. Again, I repeat, I'm not saying the man on the picture is indeed The Zodiac Killer. For now the identity of the man is unknown, and I really think we need to find out the identity of this person. I have seen pictures of Darlene's ex-Husband and in my opinion he doesn't really looks like the man on the picture, but I'm no expert. Some people think Zodiac knew Darlene/Darlene knew Zodiac, so perhaps the picture is indeed showing Darlene with her killer. I'm trying to find more about this.

Edited by JVE, 20 March 2011 - 12:23 AM.

#2    susieice

susieice

December's Child

• 11,274 posts

• "Some say the world will end in fire, some say in ice."
    .....Robert Frost

Posted 20 March 2011 - 01:22 AM

Interesting find JVE. Have they asked someone in her family if they could ID this person?

"The universe is full of magical things, patiently waiting for our wits to sharpen."  Eden Phillpotts

Opponere draconem est prehendere vitam

"I'm sure the universe is full of intelligent life. It's just been too intelligent to come here." Arthur C. Clarke

#3    JonathanVonErich

JonathanVonErich

Telekinetic

• Banned
  • 7,519 posts

Posted 20 March 2011 - 01:59 AM

View Postsusieice, on 20 March 2011 - 01:22 AM, said:

Interesting find JVE. Have they asked someone in her family if they could ID this person?
Surprisingly we don't have this information right now, but my guess is that her family don't know who the man is. Pam Huckaby, Darlene's sister, always talks openly about her sister's murder and to this day she said nothing about this "Unknown man", or if she did we know nothing about it. The fact AMW are still showing the picture to millions of viewers on their website is a proof that to me nobody came forward with the information.

What I want to know is : How did "America's Most Wanted" got the picture ?? Who gave them this picture ?? Right now we don't know how they got the picture. I went to their website, to at least 5 other websites and nobody seems to know how they got the pic, I'm trying to find this important detail.

Again I don't know if this man is indeed Zodiac. A minority thinks the man is Jim Phillips, Darlene's ex-Husband, but the more I look at pictures of mr. Phillips the more I'm sure he is not the man on the picture. Hell, if mr. Phillips is indeed the man on the picture I'm sure he would have come forward and said that indeed he was the "Unknown man", but nobody came forward and the man on the picture remains a mystery.

I'm searching for more answers. Maybe the man on the picture have no connections with Darlene's murder, but people needs to investigate and have to at least try to find the answers.

#4    booNyzarC

booNyzarC

Forum Divinity

• Closed
  • 13,536 posts

Posted 20 March 2011 - 02:44 AM

Wow, he really does look like the composite sketch.  (link for larger image of sketch with two versions of the sketch.)

Sketch and new photo:
Posted Image Posted Image

#5    JonathanVonErich

JonathanVonErich

Telekinetic

• Banned
  • 7,519 posts

Posted 20 March 2011 - 03:06 AM

Thanks for the pics, Boo.  :tu:

Like I said some people believe the "Unknown man" of the picture is Darlene's ex-Husband, Mr. James(Jim) Phillips. In my opinion Mr. Phillips doesn't really looks like the man on the picture, I could be wrong but to me they don't look alike.

Posted Image
(Courtesy: A&E Community)

Mr. Phillips is on the left, The mystery man is on the right. To me they don't look alike. The jaw, the nose, the ears....

Again : If it was indeed mr. Phillips on the picture why did America's Most Wanted showed the picture to millions of people without asking if it was indeed mr. Phillips on the pic ?? I mean it would be only common sense to make sure it's not somebody from Darlene's past (Husbands, family members, close friends).

The fact nobody came forward with the information is, to me, proof that the man is not somebody from Darlene's family or a former Boyfriend/Husband.

I'm searching for more answers.

#6    susieice

susieice

December's Child

• 11,274 posts

.....Robert Frost

Posted 20 March 2011 - 03:14 AM

Yeah. You would think Darlene's sister would recognize a picture of her ex-brother in law. Why would she keep that hushed? Anyone that knew her at the time of the marriage would be able to ID him. I don't think it's him for that reason, unless she lived far far away and the family never met him.

"The universe is full of magical things, patiently waiting for our wits to sharpen."  Eden Phillpotts

"I'm sure the universe is full of intelligent life. It's just been too intelligent to come here." Arthur C. Clarke

#7    JonathanVonErich

JonathanVonErich

Telekinetic

• Banned
  • 7,519 posts

Posted 20 March 2011 - 03:17 AM

View Postsusieice, on 20 March 2011 - 03:14 AM, said:

Yeah. You would think Darlene's sister would recognize a picture of her ex-brother in law. Why would she keep that hushed? Anyone that knew her at the time of the marriage would be able to ID him. I don't think it's him for that reason, unless she lived far far away and the family never met him.
Darlene and her sister Pam were very close, so she would be able to recognize her ex-brother in law, same thing with Darlene's other sister Linda. So to me this is proof that the man on the picture is not somebody from her family or her ex-husband Jim Phillips.

I took 1 month before sharing the story, just in case somebody would come forward and put an end to this story. But the fact is: 1 month after millions of people saw the picture nobody came forward to tell the identity of this man, and to me this is really strange.

#8    susieice

susieice

December's Child

• 11,274 posts

.....Robert Frost

Posted 20 March 2011 - 03:29 AM

The man's resemblance to the composite sketch is also rather alarming. Right down to the horn rimmed glasses and the fact that the bangs are combed straight back but I don't want to speculate. Someone must have taken the picture and knew them at that time. It was taken inside a house. You can see the fireplace and a baby picture behind them.

#9    someoldguy

someoldguy

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 606 posts

• [i]"There were plants and birds and rocks and things.[/i]

Posted 20 March 2011 - 09:56 AM

Every photo I've seen of a new Zodiac killer suspect has looked like that sketch.  Or at least that's what I was expecting to see through the power of suggestion.

Apparently the case was botched very badly by San Francisco PD.  A lot of evidence and statements went missing.  (I think one of the investigators took some home with him!)  Of course, San Francisco wasn't the only jurisdiction to investigate Zodiac killings, but their incompetent "taking over" of the case threw a monkey wrench into everybody's investigation.  Worse yet, the beat cops responding to the call involving the shooting of the San Francisco taxi driver didn't even detain Zodiac himself as a possible witness!  So I think it's doubtful that we'll ever know for sure.

---CGM

Nothing creates controversy quite like the truth.

#10    Voyager10

Voyager10

Bass City Roller

• 2,374 posts

• "The light in the window
    Is a crack in the sky
    A stairway to darkness
    In the blink of an eye"
    -Ozzy Osbourne

Posted 20 March 2011 - 10:44 AM

I don't think he looks like the composite sketch. In the composite the eyebrows are much closer to his eyes, plus Zodiac seems to have dimples and looks older. The mystery man does resemble the picture of JIm Phillips to me.

Posted Image

http://beam.to/dreamjournal
No matter how I try I find my
way into the same old jam

-Led Zeppelin

#11    JonathanVonErich

JonathanVonErich

Telekinetic

• Banned
  • 7,519 posts

Posted 20 March 2011 - 04:41 PM

View PostVoyager10, on 20 March 2011 - 10:44 AM, said:

I don't think he looks like the composite sketch. In the composite the eyebrows are much closer to his eyes, plus Zodiac seems to have dimples and looks older. The mystery man does resemble the picture of JIm Phillips to me.
Well the sketch was made at least 2 years after the new picture of Darlene was taken, perhaps even 4 or 5 years after ( hard to say since we don't know exactly when the picture was taken ) but we can be sure the sketch was made AFTER the picture was taken, so if the "Unknown man" is indeed Zodiac then of course he would look a little bit older on the sketch since it was made years after the picture was taken.

I respect your opinion Voyager, but I don't see it. Look at the nose, the jaw, the ears...It doesn't looks like Jim Phillips to me.

Again the question is: If indeed it was Mr. Phillips on the picture then why did a very respected show like AMW decided to show it to millions of people without being 100% sure it wasn't somebody from Darlene's past (Family members, Husbands, close friends) !? I mean like it or not but America's Most Wanted is a respected show, a very serious show and I would be really surprised to learn that they didn't do their homeworks before showing the picture to millions of people.

And I'm still trying to find out how did AMW got the picture. By a former Investigator ?? By somebody close to Darlene ?? We don't know the answer right now.

What's so special about this is that we didn't discovered this new picture on the Web, on some forum or website, the picture was first seen on a very popular TV Show, seen by millions of Americans, that's very unusual, so my guess is that they received a very good tip from the person who gave them the picture and that they are sure that the Unknown man is not from Darlene's past (Family member, Husbands, Close Friends). And Darlene's story wasn't even a main feature of the February 19 episode, so I'm sure they didn't showed the pic only to boost their ratings. Even Tom Voigt, who know everything about the case and who have interviewed just about everybody involved in the case, first saw the picture on AMW.

I'm still searching for more answers.

Edited by JVE, 20 March 2011 - 05:00 PM.

#12    ~TheBigK~

~TheBigK~

Government Agent

• 3,930 posts

Posted 20 March 2011 - 04:55 PM

Ooh, very intriguing. I can see the resemblance between the man and the composite sketch. If this were a more current investigation that was still fresh, I would think that resemblance would be enough for the authorities to check out that guy. I don't think he's her ex husband though. I mean, the pictures make them look similar but not like the same man.

Thanks for sharing, Jon.

Posted Image

#13    JonathanVonErich

JonathanVonErich

Telekinetic

• Banned
  • 7,519 posts

Posted 20 March 2011 - 05:18 PM

Thanks K.

What's interesting is that Most people believe Darlene knew her Killer/The Killer knew Darlene. Not everybody agree about this theory, another proof that the Zodiac Killer case is a terrible mess. What I am about to write is controversial, some people (most) believe it really happened, others disagree, but like any good investigator I think I have to share this with the people here.

Vallejo Police Lt. Jim Husted reported that a mysterious caller placed three separate calls within 1 ½ hours after Darlene Ferrin’s death to each of the family members. These calls were made before media announcement of the murder. According to the Vallejo police reports, Darlene’s in-laws, Mr. and Mrs. Arthur Ferrin, reported that they had received an anonymous phone call on the night Darlene was killed. The call was made before the media released the names of the victims but long after the victims had been identified at the scene. The Ferrins stated that the caller said nothing; only the sound of heavy breathing could be heard over the line. A similar call had been placed to Darlene’s home approximately ninety minutes after the shooting at Blue Rock Springs Park. At the time of the investigation, police did not consider these calls to be suspicious, and instead believed that the calls were most likely made by a concerned friend or perhaps even a reporter after news spread that someone named Ferrin had been shot. The fact the calls were made before media announcement of the murder maybe the proof that it was indeed The Killer who made the calls, if so then it would the proof that The Killer knew Darlene and knew her family. Some people disagree, some people think it was a friend of Darlene or a reporter, but the fact the caller didn't said a word is perhaps proof that it was indeed The Killer of Darlene Ferrin. Some people now claims the calls were made by Darlene's younger brother but it could simply be a way of covering what really happened, we can't be 100% sure.

What's strange is that more than a month after showing the picture to millions of people we still don't know who the man is. Darlene was very close with her family, she had a lot of friends. If indeed the man was well known by Darlene's family/friends then I'm sure somebody would have come forward with the information, but nobody did. That's strange.

Edited by JVE, 20 March 2011 - 05:20 PM.

#14    susieice

susieice

December's Child

• 11,274 posts

.....Robert Frost

Posted 20 March 2011 - 05:57 PM

Those phone calls are interesting JVE. I don't think a family member or a concerned friend would have been making prank calls to a victim's family especially if the news had not been released yet. A reporter might, but they wouldn't get much information by breathing heavy and not saying anything. They ask questions and want to establish more than someone answered the phone who's name they do not know. It does sound like whomever placed the calls was out to torment the family.

#15    JonathanVonErich

JonathanVonErich

Telekinetic

• Banned
  • 7,519 posts

Posted 20 March 2011 - 06:33 PM

UPDATE: Sorry for that but I just learned that the picture was first seen on Zodiackiller.com in November, so this mean that it has been 4 MONTHS since the picture was first seen and still nobody came forward with a name for the Unknown man. Sorry about that, I've just learned the information, my mistake.

So Zodiackiller.com first showed the picture and then AMW showed it last february. 4months is a long, long time, If indeed the man on the pic is Darlene's ex-Husband or somebody who was in her entourage then I don't understand why the identity of the man still remains unknown and why nobody came forward with a name.

Zodiackiller.com have close or more than a million hit a month, the site is very popular and the creator of the site, Tom Voigt, know Darlene's sister very well so I don't understand why nobody came forward with a name.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users