Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Mists of Avalon

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1    Jamie

Jamie

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 131 posts

Posted 17 July 2001 - 05:40 PM

There was a mini series on TNT called the Mists of Avalon.  It was very good.  Its a tale that includes magic, war, love, incest, betrayal, adultry, secrets and death.  If you get the chance to see it I recommend you do.  

If you have seen it or read the book let me know what you thought of it.

Jamie

#2    SpaceyKC

SpaceyKC

Government Agent

• 3,349 posts

• Thank you TO

Posted 17 July 2001 - 08:20 PM

Jamie,

I have been waiting to see that movie, but forgot it was on last night.  Thanks for reminding me, I will look for a rerun(TNT usually does that), and get back to you.

NORA

"Science may have found a cure for most evils;  but it has
         found no remedy for the worst of them all --- the apathy of human beings."
                                                     Helen Keller

#3    Kira

Kira

Government Agent

• 4,183 posts

• Sexiest,
    Prettiest,
    Bloodthirstiest,
    Elf Member of the
    Six Worst Men of the Apfelschnaps.

Thanks TO xx

Posted 12 January 2002 - 01:44 AM

I am waiting to see that.
As for the book it is one that you can re-read and still find it enthralling. I think what drew me to it was that fact it was told by Morgainne and seen through her eyes....

We do what we do because of who we are. If we did otherwise, we would not be ourselves.

#4    PurpleStuart

PurpleStuart

Goth

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,118 posts

• The Most Purple Haired Gothic Hedonistic member of the Six Worst Men of the Apfelschnaps

Posted 15 January 2002 - 07:44 PM

hmm, don't have TNT, humph!!

never take me too seriously

#5    Jake_the_Muss

Jake_the_Muss

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 18 January 2002 - 05:02 AM

I've always been fascinated with Arthurian legend, and I enjoyed Mist of Avalon. I wish it had been longer, because some of the character development suffered a bit. Juliana Margulies is awesome (and hot).

#6    Kira

Kira

Government Agent

• 4,183 posts

• Sexiest,
    Prettiest,
    Bloodthirstiest,
    Elf Member of the

Thanks TO xx

Posted 19 January 2002 - 12:17 AM

can't wait but if u want some indepth character stuff I'd say read the book cos u get more of an insight then.

We do what we do because of who we are. If we did otherwise, we would not be ourselves.

#7    Crow

Crow

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 107 posts

Posted 16 February 2002 - 02:00 AM

I'm also a huge fan of the old Arthurian legend, there are some really excellent reads out there, one of my very favourites is a book called the Winter King, written by Bernard Cornwell.....it's historically very accurate, detailing the Saxon invasions, the change from Paganism to Christianity in Britain......

I live very close to a place called Glastonbury, which is where the real Avalon was supposed to be......the Tor is written about in many books, Merlin himself is supposed to have lived there.......a very magical place...

Also there are dozens of books written by an author called Stephen Lawhead, which is more fantasy based.....but i'm sure you'd love them too, that's of course if you've not already read them all  :)

some websites you might want to look at:

http://www.webworld.co.uk/mall/arthur/

http://www.glastonbu...myths_main.html

http://www.fordham.e...arthurtomb.html

and of course the RPG:

http://www.avalon-rpg.com/

Stay spooky, Crow x

#8    Tommy

Tommy

Psychic Spy

• 1,846 posts

Posted 16 February 2002 - 03:39 AM

Bernard Cornwell, I enjoyed reading the first half of his book Stonehenge.  (hmm…can’t think why I never finished reading the rest of it…)

I also enjoy a fair share of Arthurian legend.  I went up to Tintagil castle about a year ago.  (the supposed birth place of Arthur) :D

I seem to remember a very mystical looking cave under the castle. Has anyone else been? It’s not a bad day trip.  :se

Tommy  

"Superstition created all the gods and angels, all the devils and ghosts, all the witches, demons and goblins, gave us all the augurs, soothsayers and prophets, filled the heavens with signs and wonders, broke the chain of cause and effect, and wrote the history of man in miracles and lies" ~ Robert Green Ingersoll

#9    PurpleStuart

PurpleStuart

Goth

• 2,118 posts

• The Most Purple Haired Gothic Hedonistic member of the Six Worst Men of the Apfelschnaps

Posted 16 February 2002 - 02:24 PM

Nope never been - though i imagine i will one of these days...

#10    Homer

Homer

Government Agent

• 3,814 posts

Posted 16 February 2002 - 10:54 PM

Nope, I've never been either. :s04

אַ֭תָּה אֱלֹהֵ֣י יִשְׁעִ֑י

#11    Tommy

Tommy

Psychic Spy

• 1,846 posts

Posted 30 March 2002 - 02:55 PM

This is your one day advanced warning of Arthur: King of the Britons  :D

Sunday BBC1: 7.25

:su

Tommy
:sk

"Superstition created all the gods and angels, all the devils and ghosts, all the witches, demons and goblins, gave us all the augurs, soothsayers and prophets, filled the heavens with signs and wonders, broke the chain of cause and effect, and wrote the history of man in miracles and lies" ~ Robert Green Ingersoll

#12    Kira

Kira

Government Agent

• 4,183 posts

• Sexiest,
    Prettiest,
    Bloodthirstiest,
    Elf Member of the

Thanks TO xx

Posted 04 April 2002 - 01:42 AM

You mean to say 'Merlin's cave' underneath the old castle? I went there a few years ago and just sat underneath in that cave it was one of the most peaceful places I had ever been ... as I sat there something was dropped in my lap... a piece of blue grey rectangular shaped stone... I still have it now and everytime I hold it I can see that cave, and feel it's peacefulness.

#13    PurpleStuart

PurpleStuart

Goth

• 2,118 posts

Posted 05 April 2002 - 01:55 AM

Tommy - did you see it, it was a good program wasn't it?

#14    Tommy

Tommy

Psychic Spy

• 1,846 posts

Posted 05 April 2002 - 06:17 PM

Celtic, I’m glad you know where I’m talking about. It did look very peaceful there.  :se

PS, I managed to see most of the programme… ::) Of course when the TV guide says 7.25, it actually meant 7.10.   :P

It was quite an interesting watch.  It examined the information we know about Arthur, and how truthful it all is.  

Here’s the programmes web page.

http://www.bbc.co.uk...hur/index.shtml

It talks about how we first hear of this great king of Britain in a 12th-century book, The History Of The Kings Of Britain, written by Geoffrey of Monmouth.  

However besides this, very few written references were ever made of a Great king called Arthur.   The programme suggests that the writers of the day might have referred to him as ‘Riothamus’, meaning supreme or high king, who was a real historical figure.

The other interesting thing the programme suggested was that Camelot could be on ‘Cadbury Hill’ in Somerset,  :D which is very close to two villages, West Camel and Queen Camel.  Arthur might have even been buried in Glastonbury Tor.

(I’m going to Somerset next weekend to visit the relatives, so I might pop into Glastonbury and check it out.)  :su  

What I didn’t realise, was that the sword in the stone wasn’t Excalibur.  :s8

Tommy
:D

#15    PurpleStuart

PurpleStuart

Goth

• 2,118 posts

Posted 05 April 2002 - 11:24 PM

sorry i wasn't making sense, what i mean to say was, yep i saw it - wasn't it good.

btw ta for the spelling of Riothamus, i was trying to work it out from the pronouncation.

I found the program compelling and rooted in fact, avoiding the pitfalls of the 'romantic' vision of Arthur. and it has infact done much to prove he was a real person.

Admitedly there was a lot of filler at the beginning with the fancy graphics (materialising tables et al), but it got better as it went on - i was worried that fancy graphics = no content, but i was wrong.

A great bit of TV.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users