Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Is America’s oldest house haunted?

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#1    Karlis

Karlis

• 8,614 posts

Posted 17 April 2011 - 01:42 AM

www.dailymail.co.uk said:

Fairbanks House -- the oldest timber frame house in America, lived in for generations by the same family and lovingly kept just as it was in its early Colonial days. The house in Dedham, Massachusetts, was built between 1637 and 1641 by English settlers Jonathan and Grace Fairbanks.Today the house is a museum, but it could very well one of the most haunted houses in America.Posted Image Read more...

#2    greywolf

greywolf

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,042 posts

Posted 17 April 2011 - 02:33 AM

i have'nt heard of this house,but it looks like an interesting place.thanks for posting it.

#3    Lilly

Lilly

Forum Divinity

• 16,418 posts

• "To thine own self be true" William Shakespeare

Posted 17 April 2011 - 02:36 AM

They say that the Sparrow house here in Plymouth is haunted as well (built about the same time as the Fairbanks house). There are also claims that the Sun Tavern in Duxbury is haunted (it was built in the early 1700s). I've eaten there, didn't have any experiences though. Many old houses have rumours of hauntings attached to them it seems.

"Ignorance is ignorance. It is a state of mind, not an opinion." ~MID~

Posted Image

#4    Fluffybunny

Fluffybunny

Forum Divinity

• 14,136 posts

• "Of all the tyrannies that affect mankind, tyranny in religion is the worst."
    Thomas Paine

Posted 17 April 2011 - 02:50 AM

The sheer amount of time that they have been around with so many families passing through it's doors, living and dying there leads me to believe the odds are good to have some kind of experience.

Too many people on both sides of the spectrum have fallen into this mentality that a full one half of the country are the enemy for having different beliefs...in a country based on freedom of expression. It is this infighting that allows the focus to be taken away from "we the people" being able to watch, and have control over government corruption and ineptitude that is running rampant in our leadership.

People should be working towards fixing problems, not creating them.

#5    scaredsilly

scaredsilly

Conspiracy Theorist

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 912 posts

• "In an open mind, there is always room to move."

Posted 17 April 2011 - 05:48 AM

I'm pretty sure its haunted, its been around long enough, but I would be very suprised if its not haunted.

#6    ealdwita

ealdwita

Hwít éoredmæcg

• 4,889 posts

• Hige sceal þe heardra, heorte þe cenre, mod sceal þe mare, þe ure mægen lytlað.

Posted 17 April 2011 - 11:07 AM

My house is a hundred years older than the Fairbanks one and I'm assured it has it's full quota of ghosts.

"Gæð a wyrd swa hio scel, ac gecnáwan þín gefá!": "Fate goes ever as she shall, but know thine enemy!".
I can teach you with a quip, if I've a mind; I can trick you into learning with a laugh; Oh, winnow all my folly and you'll find, A grain or two of truth among the chaff!
(The Yeoman of the Guard ~ Gilbert and Sullivan)

#7    The Russian Hare

The Russian Hare

Silent assassin

• 2,033 posts

• Boat Tailed & Hollow Pointed

Posted 17 April 2011 - 12:36 PM

Also, a newly-installed alarm system went off every night for several weeks with the alarm company unable to offer an explanation.

Anyone who's worked with alarms knows that's not exactly unusual......

I plead the Fifth, but if you get pushy with me I'll plead the Second. Posted Image

#8    Lilly

Lilly

Forum Divinity

• 16,418 posts

• "To thine own self be true" William Shakespeare

Posted 17 April 2011 - 12:54 PM

ealdwita, on 17 April 2011 - 11:07 AM, said:

My house is a hundred years older than the Fairbanks one and I'm assured it has it's full quota of ghosts.

Have you had any personal experiences?

"Ignorance is ignorance. It is a state of mind, not an opinion." ~MID~

Posted Image

#9    scepticalbeliever

scepticalbeliever

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 706 posts

Posted 17 April 2011 - 03:03 PM

why would they hear children playing unless children died in the home, also if anyone would be haunting it wouldn't it be that guy who was hanged for murdering his girlfriend.

#10    Lostleaf

Lostleaf

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 69 posts

Posted 17 April 2011 - 03:27 PM

the oldest continually occupied brick house in America is on Jamestown Island, Jamestown NHP Virginia.  It is haunted, and very close to the site of the massacre spot.  Spirits tend to go to structures that are familiar to them.  They also go to what is available closest to where they are, so the chances of that house being haunted is very high.

I will take this potato chip and I will eat it!!

#11    ealdwita

ealdwita

Hwít éoredmæcg

• 4,889 posts

• Hige sceal þe heardra, heorte þe cenre, mod sceal þe mare, þe ure mægen lytlað.

Posted 17 April 2011 - 03:36 PM

Lilly, on 17 April 2011 - 12:54 PM, said:

Have you had any personal experiences?

Not personally, but my youngest granddaughter, Tatyana (aged 4) seems to have had contact with one of 'my' apparitions - what is referred to in old records as a 'ragged boy'. Neither of my dogs will enter one of my out-houses.

My link

"Gæð a wyrd swa hio scel, ac gecnáwan þín gefá!": "Fate goes ever as she shall, but know thine enemy!".
I can teach you with a quip, if I've a mind; I can trick you into learning with a laugh; Oh, winnow all my folly and you'll find, A grain or two of truth among the chaff!
(The Yeoman of the Guard ~ Gilbert and Sullivan)

#12    Hawkin

Hawkin

LiverEatenJohnson

• 1,723 posts

• Some say he is dead.
    Some say he will never be.

Posted 17 April 2011 - 03:58 PM

My nephew claims his 2 yr. daughter was talking in bed one night and he heard her say Grandma. My nephew's mother passed away a few years before his daughter was born. I think young children see things that adults don't.

#13    TheMcGuffin

TheMcGuffin

Government Agent

• 3,965 posts

Posted 17 April 2011 - 04:46 PM

Legand has it that the Corwin House in Salem is haunted, because one of the "witches" hanged in 1692 put a curse on Sheriff John Corwin when he put the noose around her neck.  Supposedly she cursed him to death and he died in that house choking on his own bloood--and this curse has also done in other sheriffs in Salem over the years.

#14    xXHellkittiesXx

xXHellkittiesXx

Extraterrestrial Entity

• PipPipPip
  • 403 posts

• >^.^<

Posted 17 April 2011 - 04:59 PM

I would be surprised if it wasn't haunted.

#15    ColoradoParanormal

ColoradoParanormal

Psychic Spy

• 1,314 posts

• 'Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought.'

Posted 17 April 2011 - 05:14 PM

Just because it's old doesn't mean it's automatically haunted. In my experience, old or new buildings, doesn't matter. Been through old mining towns and investigated very old buildings with many many deaths in their history that are factual deaths mind you, and they weren't haunted.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users