Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * * 1 votes

Never read lovecraft, where should I start?

• Please log in to reply
65 replies to this topic

#1    Soul Kitchen

Soul Kitchen

El Lobo

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,990 posts

Posted 06 May 2011 - 12:08 AM

I've been hearing everywhere about this HP Lovecraft and it really seems like stuff that I would enjoy.
I know it doesn't matter that much, but which book should I start with?

Life is too short to waste on responsibilities. :)

#2    JonathanVonErich

JonathanVonErich

Telekinetic

• Banned
  • 7,519 posts

Posted 06 May 2011 - 12:09 AM

By the beginning.  :)

#3    Bracket

Bracket

Evil Monkey Genius

• 3,968 posts

• I'm the fourth wise monkey.

Posted 06 May 2011 - 01:11 AM

I'd stick to his smaller stuff. His bigger stuff can admittedly be a little long winded, and this is coming from a huge Lovecraft fan. Most of his stories come in collections of his works anyways, so i'm sure you'll find something you'll like. Or, you can just get the Necronomicon, which is a thick book that has all of his stories.  :tu:

I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung.

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn

*Note to self, need more henchman, good ones this time. Also, start auditions for new female lab assistant.

#4    Fluffybunny

Fluffybunny

Forum Divinity

• 14,136 posts

• "Of all the tyrannies that affect mankind, tyranny in religion is the worst."
    Thomas Paine

Posted 06 May 2011 - 01:33 AM

Yeah, short stories are a bit easier to get started with; remember how long ago it was written and that it is at a different pace than something by Stephen King or Dean Koontz. Enjoy the incredible vocabulary he has...it is almost musical to read.

Too many people on both sides of the spectrum have fallen into this mentality that a full one half of the country are the enemy for having different beliefs...in a country based on freedom of expression. It is this infighting that allows the focus to be taken away from "we the people" being able to watch, and have control over government corruption and ineptitude that is running rampant in our leadership.

People should be working towards fixing problems, not creating them.

#5    Bracket

Bracket

Evil Monkey Genius

• 3,968 posts

Posted 06 May 2011 - 01:40 AM

View PostFluffybunny, on 06 May 2011 - 01:33 AM, said:

Yeah, short stories are a bit easier to get started with; remember how long ago it was written and that it is at a different pace than something by Stephen King or Dean Koontz. Enjoy the incredible vocabulary he has...it is almost musical to read.

Yeah, not to mention that he liked to write in a very "antiquarian" way.

I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung.

*Note to self, need more henchman, good ones this time. Also, start auditions for new female lab assistant.

#6    Cybele

Cybele

Married to the Void

• 1,432 posts

• Prick your finger it is done
    The moon has now eclipsed the sun
    The angel has spread its wings
    The time has come for bitter things

Posted 06 May 2011 - 04:14 AM

I read a collection of his short stories over the Christmas holidays, and I'd say my personal favorites were The Case of Charles Dexter Ward (very long for a short story), The Call of Cthulhu (his most famous), and The Dream in the Witch House.

Edited by Cybele, 06 May 2011 - 04:18 AM.

My sig: "Cryptorchid", Marilyn Manson

#7    Bracket

Bracket

Evil Monkey Genius

• 3,968 posts

Posted 06 May 2011 - 04:22 AM

View PostCybele, on 06 May 2011 - 04:14 AM, said:

I read a collection of his short stories over the Christmas holidays, and I'd say my personal favorites were The Case of Charles Dexter Ward, The Call of Cthulhu (his most famous), and The Dream in the Witch House.

Yeah, those are good. Although i'd say his most famous is Re-Animator, which i'd also suggest reading along with The Thing on the Doorstep, The Colour Out of Space and The Shadow Over Innesmouth.

#8    supervike

supervike

Majestic 12 Operative

• 6,208 posts

Posted 06 May 2011 - 01:59 PM

I think you can start anywhere to be honest.  As 90 percent of his stuff is 'short stories', and they really aren't directly connected to each other, you can pick up anywhere.

As mentioned above, he uses very archaic terms at times,(which were even archaic when he used them) so it's kinda nice to have a dictionary nearby.  After a story or two, it'll not be an issue.  Plus it adds such a depth to the story, it is really interesting.

Also one thing I'd like to mention is that modern readers often expect that the books will be 'scary' as they are described as horror.  But it isn't quite the case.  Creepy at times, for sure, but it was more about the futility and insignifigance of mankind.  The 'monsters' are often left undescribed, which to me is absolutely perfect.

My favorite stories are 'The Shadow over Innsmouth', 'The Dunwich Horror', and 'The Whisperer in the Darkness'

jeez, i may have to go re-read some of these now....

#9    supervike

supervike

Majestic 12 Operative

• 6,208 posts

Posted 06 May 2011 - 02:17 PM

Oh BTW, I just remembered this:

http://cthulhuchick....ok-nook-kindle/

For any of you with an E-reader/Nook/Kindle, this person has compiled all the stories as a free download!

There's no excuse to not check them out now!

#10    Soul Kitchen

Soul Kitchen

El Lobo

• 1,990 posts

Posted 07 May 2011 - 01:25 AM

Thanks guys, I guess I'll start with some short stories to get acquainted with his vocabulary. And I'll get that "Necronomicon" thing. I really wish I had a kindle...

Life is too short to waste on responsibilities. :)

#11    George Ford

George Ford

Just pretend you didn't see anything

• Banned
  • 3,149 posts

• 'I live in the weak and the wounded... Doc'

Posted 07 May 2011 - 01:42 PM

http://www.sffaudio.com/?p=3491

Hello people,

Check the above link for free streaming audio H.P. Lovecraft stories. There is nothing to sign up for or anything, just click the story you want and sit back and listen.

Have fun!  :tu:   B)   :w00t:

“Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence” ~ Carl Sagan

#12    George Ford

George Ford

Just pretend you didn't see anything

• Banned
  • 3,149 posts

• 'I live in the weak and the wounded... Doc'

Posted 07 May 2011 - 01:56 PM

http://lovecraftzine...ss-audio-drama/

here is a link to a site with a link for a free Radio Drama (so its got some sound effects and different voice actors!) it's one of my favourite stories, At The Mountains Of Madness. You should listen to this one first!

I see they were gonna make it into a film with Guillermo del Toro as director, but he pulled out when the Studio bosses told him to make it a 12 certificate instead of an 18. Del Toro said he would not compromise, so shame they are no longer making it but good for Del Toro to stand up to them!

“Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence” ~ Carl Sagan

#13    Cybele

Cybele

Married to the Void

• 1,432 posts

• Prick your finger it is done
    The moon has now eclipsed the sun
    The angel has spread its wings
    The time has come for bitter things

Posted 07 May 2011 - 07:40 PM

View PostBracket, on 06 May 2011 - 04:22 AM, said:

The Colour Out of Space

IIRC, that's one of his longer, alternate dimension/alien ones. I honestly couldn't stick with those for long.

My sig: "Cryptorchid", Marilyn Manson

#14    Eldorado

Eldorado

Unforgiven

• 11,896 posts

• I reckon so.

Posted 07 May 2011 - 09:16 PM

Spin, spin, spin my little darling / Spin, spin, spin my little babe / Stay in the garden; let your mind tarry / Dance to the sunlight, smell the strawberry ...

(lol)

#15    theGhost_and_theDarkness

theGhost_and_theDarkness

Tsavo Maneater

• 1,914 posts

• Death is not the greatest loss in life. The greatest loss is what dies inside us while we live. - Norman Cousins

Posted 08 May 2011 - 12:33 AM

Ohh, I looove HP Lovecraft. Definitely one of my favorite writers. Pickman's Model was my favorite. I don't know what it was about that story, but it was very creepy, and always the one I find myself reading over and over.   The first book I picked up of his was The Best of HP Lovecraft: Bloodcurdling Tales of Horror and the Macabre. I found it at an old bookstore for like 50 cents. You can also find a lot of his work online. . .the first story of his I ever read was Dagon on the internet. Another pretty good story.

The think I like most about him is that his style just cannot be compared to any other I have ever read. The theme of some of the stories don't seem very terrifying at all, but the poetic way he writes really makes all the difference in the world. He takes things that don't seem very frightening and turns them into very haunting tales. Dagon, for instance. . .a man sees a monster and runs. Pretty much the entire story. But he takes something so simple and turns it into something quite lovely.

"To be conscious that you are ignorant is a great step to knowledge." ~ Benjamin Disraeli

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users