Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * * 1 votes

Never read lovecraft, where should I start?

• Please log in to reply
65 replies to this topic

#61    SCFan

SCFan

ISA 62:2; 65:15; HOS 1:10; 2:23; MATT 21:43; ACTS 11:26

• 2,621 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 08:17 PM

View PostUrisk, on 31 January 2013 - 03:19 PM, said:

Jenkins, thank you for the links to Machen's work. I'm trying to remember if I've read any of his stuff... I've got a couple compilations that have stories like Tindalos, Surtsey, Notebook Found in a Deserted House etc, there might be one by him in there.

Anyone else got the Cthulhu 2000 compilation? Some pretty good stories on there!

You're welcome, The Great God Pan, The White People, and Blackwood's The Willows are absolute must reads! I am not a great fan of Algernon Blackwood because quite frankly he can be boring. But The Willows is stupendously brilliant. No one can depict mundane nature with such  forboding and menace than in the writings of Algernon Blackwood.

I haven't read Cthulhu 2000 but upon checking the table of contents it looks liked it is really stacked quite nicely. I prefer to read author collections than compilations most of the time.

"I charge thee in the sight of God, who giveth life to all things, and of Christ Jesus, who before Pontius Pilate witnessed the good confession; that thou keep the commandment, without spot, without reproach, until the appearing of our Lord Jesus Christ: which in its own times he shall show, WHO IS THE BLESSED AND ONLY POTENTE, KING OF KINGS, AND LORD OF LORDS; who only hath immortality, dwelling in light unapproachable; whom no man hath seen, nor can see: to whom be honor and power eternal. Amen" (I Tim 6:13-16).

#62    cultanorak

cultanorak

Alien Embryo

• Banned
  • Pip
  • 103 posts

• I imagine you have orders to destroy me?

Posted 15 March 2013 - 08:46 PM

Shadow Over Innsmouth is a good place to start and representative of the Cthulhu mythos (a phrase Lovecraft himself never used but was coined later by August Derleth) and the story is also quite underrated in Lovecraft's oeuvre.

#63    krypter3

krypter3

Extraterrestrial Entity

• PipPipPip
  • 429 posts

• “My spelling is Wobbly. It's good spelling but it Wobbles, and the letters get in the wrong places.” A.A Milne

Posted 18 March 2013 - 01:00 PM

I have H.P Lovecrafts necromancer and let me just say, his work is not easy to read.  If you are not accustomed to how he writes and you only read modern stuff, it could be a tad difficult.  It's a bit over the top, but that's what Lovecraft is.

#64    Frank Merton

Frank Merton

Blue fish

• 14,919 posts

• fmerton.blogspot.com

Posted 18 March 2013 - 01:25 PM

Don't read Lovecraft if you are prone to depression or have trouble getting to sleep.

#65    Insanity

Insanity

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 603 posts

• "Men of broader intellect know that there is no sharp distinction betwixt the real and the unreal..." - H.P. Lovecraft, "The Tomb", Published 1922

Posted 23 March 2013 - 08:48 PM

View PostFrank Merton, on 18 March 2013 - 01:25 PM, said:

Don't read Lovecraft if you are prone to depression or have trouble getting to sleep.

Or if you suffering from fever dreams from a cold or other illness.

"We see things only as we are constructed to see them, and can gain no idea of their absolute nature. With five feeble senses we pretend to comprehend the boundlessly complex cosmos, yet other beings with wider, stronger, or different range of senses might not only see very differently the things we see, but might see and study whole worlds of matter, energy, and life which lie close at hand yet can never be detected with the senses we have." - H.P. Lovecraft, "From Beyond" Published 1934

#66    WolvenHeart7

WolvenHeart7

EternalSeer

• 4,033 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 01:32 AM

Lovecraft is pure genius..

I didn't know where to start either, so I picked up a large volume filled with most of his writings and became absorbed from the start. I didn't stop until I finished reading it, then I started reading my favorites over and over. It is quite a journey!

Edited by AliveInDeath7, 25 April 2013 - 01:33 AM.

"When I tell the truth, it is not for the sake of convincing those who do not know it, but for the sake of defending those that do." -William Blake

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users