Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

What are you currently reading?

• Please log in to reply
164 replies to this topic

#1    kmt_sesh

kmt_sesh

Omnipotent Entity

• 9,306 posts

Posted 10 May 2011 - 02:28 AM

I thought it might be worthwhile to start a lighter thread. In a couple of other forums to which I've belonged, a popular ongoing discussion was about books that forum members were reading. It can be fun to learn a little about the literary interests of some of the people you've engaged in discussion or debate. I'll begin.

I'm currently reading The Buried Book, by David Damrosch. It's about the nineteenth-century excavation of the Assyrian tablets at Ninevah in present-day Iraq, the subsequent translations of them, the discovery of the Epic of Gilgamesh, and what this great tale meant to ancient Mesopotamia as well as to us today. I just started The Buried Book last night and already am liking it.

I also always try to read a book of fiction because I enjoy a good novel as much as anyone else, so right now I'm also reading one of Douglas Preston and Lincoln Child's novels called The Cabinet of Curiosities. Well, in truth, it's more like I'm re-re-re-reading the book. This is one of the earlier books in the Agent Pendergast series, and one of my favorites. Preston and Child are a terrific writing team.

I hope others will choose to take part and share their reading interests with us. I like to link books to internet retailers like Amazon, as I did with the above selections, but there's no rule about that. Feel free just to share what you're reading.

Jump in! :tu:

Posted Image
The evil overlord mummy moderator has spoken.

Visit My Blog!

#2    susieice

susieice

December's Child

• 11,844 posts

• "Some say the world will end in fire, some say in ice."
    .....Robert Frost

Posted 10 May 2011 - 02:42 AM

I love the Preston-Childs books. I have 9 of the Agent Pendergast books, only missing the last one. I forget the title but it's about how Pendergast lost his wife. I need to get it. I also read Riptide. Reliquary was awesome. Loved Brimstone too.
Currently I'm rereading Journey Into Darkness by John Douglas, the FBI profiler. As soon as I finish that I'll start reading Strange Highways by Dean Koontz, another of my favorite writers.
I also found two books about the museum exhibits I saw that I told you about. One is called Cleopatra's Palace and was foreworded by Franck Goddio, who did much of the excavating. I also have one called Treasures Of Tutankhamun that lists Field Museum Of Natural History and The University Of Chicago as contributors.

"The universe is full of magical things, patiently waiting for our wits to sharpen."  Eden Phillpotts

Opponere draconem est prehendere vitam

"I'm sure the universe is full of intelligent life. It's just been too intelligent to come here." Arthur C. Clarke

#3    vitruvian12

vitruvian12

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,855 posts

Posted 10 May 2011 - 02:50 AM

I just finished a book called "The Spartacus War". About the rebbelion he started that ended ultimately with his death and the destruction of his army (although not the way it ended in the Kirk Douglas movie). Im also in the middle of a history of Sparta, and interesting subject but not the greatest book.
My all time favorite fiction would have the be "the Count of Monte Cristo"

#4    DieChecker

DieChecker

I'm a Rogue Scholar

• 23,867 posts

• Hey, I'm not wrong. I'm just not completely right.

Posted 10 May 2011 - 03:11 AM

I'm more a Fantasy guy and am reading right now the 6th book in the Wheel of Time series, Lord of Chaos. I started on book one sometime last summer and read about 10-15 pages a day, due to family demands and need for sleep.

I also like reading some of the 1950s and 60s Sci-Fi and Fantasy novels that my dad bought way back when.

Believe it or not, I don't actually own a single supernatural based (ghosts, fairies, bigfoot, atlantis, UFOs, aliens, magic, ect...) book that is not an obvious fantasy or sci-fi novel.

Edited by DieChecker, 10 May 2011 - 03:13 AM.

Here at Intel we make processors on 12 inch wafers. And, the individual processors on the wafers are called die. And, I am employed to check these die. That is why I am the DieChecker.

At times one remains faithful to a cause only because its opponents do not cease to be insipid. - Friedrich Nietzsche

Qualifications? This is cryptozoology, dammit! All that is required is the spirit of adventure. - Night Walker

#5    maca02

maca02

A Bear Of Very Little Brain

• 2,241 posts

Posted 10 May 2011 - 03:18 AM

beowulf,http://www.google.co.uk/url?q=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beowulf&sa=U&ei=oq_ITc79HITKswa-jamHAw&ved=0CB0QFjAB&usg=AFQjCNFbQ3ZX_OHxa6WLjZXRAv4fi9XwhA top read, also have got Njal`s saga on the gohttp://www.google.co.uk/url?q=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nj%25C3%25A1ls_saga&sa=U&ei=PK_ITfaRGJCLswaHscCfAw&ved=0CBAQFjAA&usg=AFQjCNFKEhBNbdPpqwV4DLBtK746GCyD0w :tu:  :tu:  :tu:  :tu:

Edited by maca02, 10 May 2011 - 03:24 AM.

ALL HAIL THE ALE

#6    shadowsot

shadowsot

Nightstalker

• 9,131 posts

• Oops.

Posted 10 May 2011 - 04:29 AM

I'm currently reading The Buried Book, by David Damrosch. It's about the nineteenth-century excavation of the Assyrian tablets at Ninevah in present-day Iraq, the subsequent translations of them, the discovery of the Epic of Gilgamesh, and what this great tale meant to ancient Mesopotamia as well as to us today. I just started The Buried Book last night and already am liking it.

I'll have to look that up.
Currently... I've got a lot to work through. ^^;

I've got a number of books through this forum, but the get put on hold when I pick up something recent I want to read for the enjoymentT.

Currently reading The Blank Slate by Steven Pinker, The Panic Virus by Seth Mnookin, Realm of the Pharoahs by Zahi Hawass, and I'm rereading Carl Sagan's The Pale Blue Dot

:)

Uh... Yeah.

I don't read a lot of fiction, not many fiction authors strike me right.

Two favorites are Jim Butcher, who's next book,  Ghost Story is out in late June, and  Steven Brust, his most recent book was Tiassa.

Most of the fantasy I like falls in Tiassa (urban or semi-urban fantasy with a mystery bent.

Edited by ShadowSot, 10 May 2011 - 04:45 AM.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.
-Terry Pratchett

#7    Xanthurion2

Xanthurion2

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 551 posts

• Valar morghulis

Posted 10 May 2011 - 05:04 AM

i am currently reading Different Seasons by my favorite author, Stephen King. i love everything he's written that i have read except cujo.

SRS

#8    Aus Der Box Skeptisch

Aus Der Box Skeptisch

Unknown title error

• 3,233 posts
  • Location:arizona (originally the wisconsin/minnesota area eh!)

Posted 10 May 2011 - 05:18 AM

I just finished moby dick (I was on a classic kick) I enjoyed the book yet was set back at the graphic nature of whaling. Don't think I'll ever appreciate it. But all in all a good book. Favorite character was qwekwe (sp?)Anyways, now I am re reading the douglas adams series hitchhikers guide to the galaxy, part way through so long and thanks for all the fish. The last book before moby was robinson crusoe. Excellent read. I dabbled in dante's inferno by longfellow but to be honest it kept making my eyes shut. Determined to try one last ditch effort I ... Ahem (kinda ashamed) downloaded a version onto my blackberry to listen to while at work. Libravox. Not proud but I never would have finished that one otherwise. As far as fantasy goes I do enjoy a good fantasy novel. And though it is for young adults I really enjoyed the eragon saga by christopher paolini. I heard he is coming out with a 4th and I will eventually read it after it's release. So in conclusion. Don't leave home without a towel, a guide, a dragon, or a spear. Good night.

"Though I stand in opposition to you, I am not opposed to you. Night and Day stand in opposition to each other, but they are not opposed to each other -they are merely two halves of the same coin."

#9    Paracelse

Paracelse

Government Agent

• 4,074 posts

Posted 10 May 2011 - 05:38 AM

Interesting thread.. refreshing..  Haven't read many novels since Tony Hillerman passed away... Miss old Lieutenant Joe Leaphorn and his faithful Jim Chee.
Otherwise I'm reading an excellent analyses of the Templar rules by Simonetta Cerrini: La Revolution des Templiers.  She wrote that for her PhD thesis then enlarged it to publish a more commercial version .  
I'm not sure there is a English translation. I found a Spanish translation on Abebooks.com an alternative to Amazon for books that are now otherwise available.  By the way Biblio.com is also another good source.

One other book I'm reading is The Cathedral Builders by Jean Guimpel and a very old book I found about the Cathedral of L'Epine.  There are no author nor publisher, the cover and cover page had been ripped away, but http://www.france-vo...ilica-1069.htm.

Since I moved to Lorraine couple years back, I had the chance to visit places I just read about while in the States.  Lorraine/Champagne/Ardennes has a history going back to the Culture de la Tene, and my book business allows me to visit occasionally while I'm not caring for mother.

Edited by Paracelse, 10 May 2011 - 05:43 AM.

Those who would sacrifice freedom for security deserve neither Benjamin Franklin
République No.6
It's time for a sixth republic.

#10    Copasetic

Copasetic

438579088 what am I?

• 4,238 posts

Posted 10 May 2011 - 05:53 AM

Kingsley's Concise Textbook of Neuroscience, Gatz's Essentials of Clinical Neuroanatomy , BRS Neuroanatomy, High-yield Neuroanatomy and Haines' Neuroanatomy: : An Atlas of Structures, Sections, and Systems .  :hmm:

#11    Paracelse

Paracelse

Government Agent

• 4,074 posts

Posted 10 May 2011 - 06:39 AM

View PostCopasetic, on 10 May 2011 - 05:53 AM, said:

Kingsley's Concise Textbook of Neuroscience, Gatz's Essentials of Clinical Neuroanatomy , BRS Neuroanatomy, High-yield Neuroanatomy and Haines' Neuroanatomy: : An Atlas of Structures, Sections, and Systems .  :hmm:
:unsure2: :unsure2: :unsure2: :unsure2: :unsure2:      :blink: :blink: :blink: :blink:    Heuuuuuuu???? :cry: :cry: :cry:  

way above me

Those who would sacrifice freedom for security deserve neither Benjamin Franklin
République No.6

#12    The_Spartan

The_Spartan

Spartan Forever!!!!

• 3,779 posts

• Gravity is Arbitrary!!

Posted 10 May 2011 - 08:13 AM

In Non fiction I am currently reading three books :
1. Friedman, Richard - Who Wrote the Bible
2. Finkelstein, Israel - The Bible Unearthed. Archaeology´s New Vision of Ancient Israel and the Origin of Its Sacred Texts
3. Armstrong, Karen - A History of God

Among Fiction reads
1. Cussler, Clive- The Jungle
2. Patterson, James - Toys

On the reading list are the following books :

Non Fiction :
1. Sand, Shlomo - The Invention of the Jewish People
2. Armstrong, Karen - The Battle for God

Fiction :
1. Though the book series is for young readers..i have liked the Ranger's Apprentice series by John Flanagan. got a few more books to read in the series.

"Wise men, when in doubt whether to speak or to keep quiet, give themselves the benefit of the doubt, and remain silent.-Napoleon Hill

Follow my stupid posts on Tumblr at Azrael's Ramblings

#13    questionmark

questionmark

Cinicus Magnus

• 39,754 posts

• In a flat world there is an explanation to everything.

Posted 10 May 2011 - 01:33 PM

Lets see, printed just one book Alexander Unzicker, Vom Urknall zum Durchknall (an amusing critique aimed at the Physical Research Institutions)

My Kindle got
(first title irrelevant, my book)
Holiday with Sundae, James T. Baker
Lunch Time Surprise, Mark Stewart
Max and Maurice, William Busch
Kitab-i-Aqdas, Baha'ullah
Aesthetics as Science of Expression, Benedetto Croce
Sumerian Liturgies and Psalms, Stephen Langdon
Footnotes in History (oops that one is mine too)
Edible Art and other Flash Fiction, Roberta Beach Jacobson
Die Hauptsaechlichen Theorien der Geometry, Gino Loria
La-bas, J.K. Huysmans
Histoire de la Magie, Eliphas Levi
The Handbook of Soap Making, W.H. Simmons
The Writings of Christopher Columbus.

A skeptic is a well informed believer and a pessimist a well informed optimist
The most dangerous views of the world are from those who have never seen it. ~ Alexander v. Humboldt
If you want to bulls**t me please do it so that it takes me more than a minute to find out

about me

#14    Paracelse

Paracelse

Government Agent

• 4,074 posts

Posted 10 May 2011 - 03:34 PM

View Postquestionmark, on 10 May 2011 - 01:33 PM, said:

Lets see, printed just one book Alexander Unzicker, Vom Urknall zum Durchknall (an amusing critique aimed at the Physical Research Institutions)

My Kindle got
(first title irrelevant, my book)
Holiday with Sundae, James T. Baker
Lunch Time Surprise, Mark Stewart
Max and Maurice, William Busch
Kitab-i-Aqdas, Baha'ullah
Aesthetics as Science of Expression, Benedetto Croce
Sumerian Liturgies and Psalms, Stephen Langdon
Footnotes in History (oops that one is mine too)
Edible Art and other Flash Fiction, Roberta Beach Jacobson
Die Hauptsaechlichen Theorien der Geometry, Gino Loria
La-bas, J.K. Huysmans
Histoire de la Magie, Eliphas Levi
The Handbook of Soap Making, W.H. Simmons
The Writings of Christopher Columbus.
Isn't the Histoire de la Magie and Handbook of Soap Making kind of the same ??? :P (just kidding)

République No.6

#15    questionmark

questionmark

Cinicus Magnus

• 39,754 posts

• In a flat world there is an explanation to everything.

Posted 10 May 2011 - 03:48 PM

View PostParacelse, on 10 May 2011 - 03:34 PM, said:

Isn't the Histoire de la Magie and Handbook of Soap Making kind of the same ??? :P (just kidding)

Nah, the soap making is useful.... (I got it to figure out what to do with my yearly excess olive oil).

A skeptic is a well informed believer and a pessimist a well informed optimist
The most dangerous views of the world are from those who have never seen it. ~ Alexander v. Humboldt
If you want to bulls**t me please do it so that it takes me more than a minute to find out

about me

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users