Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

What are you currently reading?

• Please log in to reply
160 replies to this topic

#136    DKO

DKO

Ω is Futile.

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,808 posts

• When you hear hoofbeats behind you, don't expect to see a zebra - Unless you're in Africa...

Posted 02 April 2013 - 07:39 AM

I like Mystery, Horror/Thriller, Adventure, Sci Fi and a bit of Fantasy.

Reading Wool at the moment by Hugh Howey.

In a ruined and toxic landscape, a community exists in a giant silo underground, hundreds of stories deep. There, men and women live in a society full of regulations they believe are meant to protect them. Sheriff Holston, who has unwaveringly upheld the silo’s rules for years, unexpectedly breaks the greatest taboo of all: He asks to go outside.
His fateful decision unleashes a drastic series of events. An unlikely candidate is appointed to replace him: Juliette, a mechanic with no training in law, whose special knack is fixing machines. Now Juliette is about to be entrusted with fixing her silo, and she will soon learn just how badly her world is broken. The silo is about to confront what its history has only hinted about and its inhabitants have never dared to whisper. Uprising.

In a month i'm going on a four week holiday with a few destinations, ordered a few more books to get me through the flights.

Necronomicon, Relict and Dr. Karl Kruszelnicki's Brain Food.

Edited by DKO, 02 April 2013 - 07:41 AM.

The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe it. - Neil DeGrasse Tyson

Confucius Says:

Man who runs behind car gets exhausted.

Man who wants pretty nurse must be patient.

#137    The_Spartan

The_Spartan

Spartan Forever!!!!

• 3,670 posts

• Gravity is Arbitrary!!

Posted 02 April 2013 - 07:40 AM

Wool is a cool series. I read all the books.

"Wise men, when in doubt whether to speak or to keep quiet, give themselves the benefit of the doubt, and remain silent.-Napoleon Hill

Follow my stupid posts on Tumblr at Azrael's Ramblings

#138    Emma_Acid

Emma_Acid

Government Agent

• 4,307 posts

• Godspeed MID

Posted 02 April 2013 - 11:26 AM

Currently wading through Jared Diamond's Guns, Germs & Steel, and huge book called the Story of Graphic Design. Have been reading that for over 2 months an am only up to the 1600s.

"Science is the least subjective form of deduction" ~ A. Mulder

#139    Big Bad Voodoo

Big Bad Voodoo

High priest of Darwinism

• 9,582 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 08:29 PM

View PostEmma_Acid, on 02 April 2013 - 11:26 AM, said:

Currently wading through Jared Diamond's Guns, Germs & Steel, and huge book called the Story of Graphic Design. Have been reading that for over 2 months an am only up to the 1600s.

Guns Germs and Steel is must read. Its something like Carl Sagan Cosmos. But, to me, Jared s best book is Collapse. Great book. I reckomand that book to everyone.

JFK: "And we are as a people, inherently and historically, opposed to secret societies, to secret oaths, and to secret proceedings.
For we are opposed around the world by a monolithic and ruthless conspiracy..."

#140    Emma_Acid

Emma_Acid

Government Agent

• 4,307 posts

• Godspeed MID

Posted 03 April 2013 - 08:17 AM

View Postthe L, on 02 April 2013 - 08:29 PM, said:

Guns Germs and Steel is must read. Its something like Carl Sagan Cosmos. But, to me, Jared s best book is Collapse. Great book. I reckomand that book to everyone.

Yeah, read that a few years ago - I like him a lot, he's one of those people I could listen to talking for hours.

"Science is the least subjective form of deduction" ~ A. Mulder

#141    kmt_sesh

kmt_sesh

Telekinetic

• 7,274 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 02:57 AM

View PostEmma_Acid, on 03 April 2013 - 08:17 AM, said:

Yeah, read that a few years ago - I like him a lot, he's one of those people I could listen to talking for hours.

Guns, Germs, and Steel is a treasure. My uncle sent it to me some years back and I really enjoyed it.

Right now I'm reading The Archaeology of Disease by Charlotte Roberts and Keith Manchester. How's that for a bit of light reading? :w00t:

Posted Image
Words of wisdom from Richard Clopton:
For every credibility gap there is a gullibility fill.

Visit My Blog!

#142    The_Spartan

The_Spartan

Spartan Forever!!!!

• 3,670 posts

• Gravity is Arbitrary!!

Posted 04 April 2013 - 05:15 AM

May i recommend some real interesting reads
  • Five Quarts : A personal and natural History of Blood by Bill Hayes (for all those interested to know and for the wannabe vampires)
Posted Image

• The Anatomist : A True Story of Gray's Anatomy by Bill Hayes
Posted Image
  • House of Rain: Tracking a vanished Civilization Across the American Southwest by Craig Clilds (Read Tracking the Anasazi )
Posted Image
  • The Secret Knowledge of Water : Discovering the Essence of the American Desert  by Craig Childs
Posted Image
  • The Animal Dialogues: Uncommon Encounters in the Wild  by Criag Childs
Posted Image

I read all of them and found them very entertaining & educative.

"Wise men, when in doubt whether to speak or to keep quiet, give themselves the benefit of the doubt, and remain silent.-Napoleon Hill

Follow my stupid posts on Tumblr at Azrael's Ramblings

#143    BorisIWantToKnow

BorisIWantToKnow

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 209 posts

• Credendo Vides, Seeing is Believing

Posted 04 April 2013 - 11:39 PM

View Postkmt_sesh, on 31 March 2013 - 05:56 AM, said:

The fantasy genre is one I least enjoy and it's rare that I'd spend any time on its books. Just the same, some time ago I rented the first season of Game of Thrones from the HBO production because watching fantasy material on the screen (big or little) is more palatable to me. Little did I know what I was in for.

I was so hooked by the TV adaptation that I plunged in and bought the first book. Within several chapters I was hooked. I am now a self-admitted Game of Thrones addict. It took some time, given how long the books are (they seem to get longer with each publication), but I plowed through all five that have been published so far. I'm itching for the next installment, whenever that might happen. Martin is a great writer but has a poor track record with publishing in a timely manner. I think it was between the fourth and fifth books (?) that a decade passed before publication.

In any case I recently bought season two of the HBO production and am only more hooked now. Season three starts tomorrow but I do not have HBO, so I'll be itching for that to come out on DVD, too.

Hat's off to George Martin.
Heh, i wish now that I had first watched the series, because now when I watch I find myself yelling at the tv: " Hey, they didn't put that in that scene or Hey, where's that guy etsc.
I'm still stuck on the first season of the series, I can't force myself to watch it, maybe after i'm finished with all the books!
Indeed, he is brililiant :yes:

“Man cannot discover new oceans unless he has the courage to lose sight of the shore.

#144    Oniomancer

Oniomancer

Soulless Minion Of Orthodoxy

• 3,140 posts

• Question everything

Posted 19 May 2013 - 04:51 PM

Almost finished with "In Search Of Adam," by Herbert Wendt, chronicling the history of the study of man's origins. (having previously read "African Genesis" and "Lucy: The Beginnings Of Mankind")  It comes off a bit dated in places, being written in 1955, but it should be required reading for any fringe adherent who believes that Evolutionists were always in charge of the establishment and controversial finds were automatically suppressed.

"Apparently the Lemurians drank Schlitz." - Intrepid "Real People" reporter on finding a mysterious artifact in the depths of Mount Shasta.

#145    flbrnt

flbrnt

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 109 posts

Posted 19 May 2013 - 05:03 PM

I am reading WORLD WITHOUT END by Molly Cochran and Warren Murphy, about someone hunting down and killing gifted psychics who seem to be descendants of the royal house of Atlantis.

#146    Abramelin

Abramelin

-

• 18,035 posts
  • Location:"Here the tide is ruled, by the wind, the moon and us."

• God created the world, but the Dutch created the Netherlands

Posted 19 May 2013 - 05:04 PM

I started rereading my Dutch copy of "Briefing for a Descent into Hell" by Doris Lessing, but I stopped after a couple of pages.Just couldn't get through it again...

http://www.dorisless...g/briefing.html

Then I picked my Dutch copy of her "Shikasta" from the shelves, and that reads lot better:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shikasta

#147    jaylemurph

jaylemurph

Lector Historiae

• 8,557 posts

• "You can lead a whore to culture, but you can't make him think." Dorothy Parker

Posted 19 May 2013 - 08:12 PM

Let's see. I'm currently reading:

1) Orlando Furioso, a 16th Century epic romance by Ariosto
2) Ab Urbe Condita by Livy, a history of Rome
3) The Island of the Day Before, a novel by Umberto Eco
4) Le Feu and Le Flueve, a French book about Heraclitus in the French Renaissance
5) Giordano Bruno and the Hermetic Tradition by Francis Yates
6) a Doctor Who book called The Coming of the Terraphiles

--Jaylemurph

"... amongst the most obstinate of our opinions may be classed those which derive from discussions in which we affect to search for the truth, while in reality we are only fortifying prejudice."     -- James Fenimore Cooper, The Pathfinder

Posted Image

Deeply venial

#148    shrooma

shrooma

Ugly bag of mostly water.

• 2,707 posts

• Live.
    Sin.
    Die.

Posted 19 May 2013 - 08:22 PM

read the dr who book jayle, the great mike moorcock!
i'm reading 'swamp thing:love and death' (graphic novel) by the god alan moore, eight of his best tales from his run on 'the saga of the swamp thing'

''One is all for religion until one visits a really religious country. Then, one is all for drains, machinery, and a minimum wage.''
-Aldous Huxley-

#149    Lady Shade

Lady Shade

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 120 posts

• A baby's laughter is one of the most beautiful sounds you will ever hear.
    Unless it's 3am and your home alone and you don't have a baby.

Posted 19 May 2013 - 08:53 PM

Fear Nothing by Dean Koontz. I'm a big Dean Koontz and Stephen King Fan.

Posted Image
Be who you want to be, not what others want to see!

#150    Sheep Smart

Sheep Smart

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 340 posts

• Im so happy I bleed it.

Posted 19 May 2013 - 10:12 PM

I read this twice one after the other. It consists of all FACTUAL ACCOUNTS of true unexplained bizarre disappearances.

Posted Image

Excerpt:

It's difficult to dismiss such incredible stories when they take place in front of eyewitnesses. Here's another. This case began as a harmless bet among friends, but ended in tragic mystery. In 1873, James Worson of Leamington Spa, England, was a simple shoemaker who also fancied himself somewhat of an athlete. One fine day, James made a bet with a few of his friends that he could run non-stop from Leamington Spa to Coventry. Knowing that this was a good 16 miles, his friends readily took the bet.As James began to jog at a moderate pace toward Coventry, his friends climbed into a horse-drawn cart to follow him and protect their bet. James did well for the first few miles. Then his friends saw him trip on something and fall forward... but never hit the ground. Instead, James completely vanished. Astonished and doubting their own eyes, his friends looked for him without success, then raced back to Leamington Spa to inform the police. An investigation turned up nothing. James Worson had run into oblivion.

One of the craziest ever:  Case of Canada's Granger Taylor (one of the most bizarre ufo related disappearances to this day.
http://mysteriousuniverse.org/2012/10/the-strange-disappearance-of-granger-taylor/

Thess are just a few. Every account has been recorded as factual and unsolved. I love this stuff. Only if its actual accounts which this book encompasses.

Other life in the universe?, you dare to imply there are entities possibly far greater than us almighty humans, creators of canned ham and reality tv. Nonsense. Absurd.

The reality that stupidy exists in abundance doesnt bother me. Its the fact that theres still no cure.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users