Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

What are you currently reading?

• Please log in to reply
164 replies to this topic

#46    questionmark

questionmark

Cinicus Magnus

• 39,730 posts

• In a flat world there is an explanation to everything.

Posted 18 May 2011 - 02:57 PM

View PostWandering, on 18 May 2011 - 06:46 AM, said:

Do you all really read 1/4 of a book then start reading another one? Then stop and start reading another one??? Everyone seems to be 'reading' 10 books at a time :)

I am reading Saigon Express atm. Last book was classic Wilbur Smith, River God. Love Taita!

I read one for fun and the rest as reference for a work I started on (but haven't written a single letter yet), that is why it is 10 at once.

A skeptic is a well informed believer and a pessimist a well informed optimist
The most dangerous views of the world are from those who have never seen it. ~ Alexander v. Humboldt
If you want to bulls**t me please do it so that it takes me more than a minute to find out

about me

#47    jimv

jimv

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 46 posts

• "If life gives you lemons, throw them at life, because its pretty crappy of life to give you lemons"

Posted 18 May 2011 - 11:30 PM

I'm working through Dan Simmons' Hyperion series for about the 10th time.  If you haven't read this one, trust me, it's one of the most conceptually intriguing sci fi series in the last 30 years.

Newer stuff....

Finished The Warded Man and Desert Spear, both of which are fun, but the author's near obsessive focus on sex gets tiresome.  A little is good, alot getting to the pervy point.  Also read Because They Hate, an Afghan woman's perspective on islamic fundamentalists.  Her life was just brutal.

"Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son - two of the 3 is acceptable however.

#48    kmt_sesh

kmt_sesh

Omnipotent Entity

• 9,304 posts

Posted 19 May 2011 - 02:31 AM

View Postsusieice, on 15 May 2011 - 02:24 PM, said:

I've read One Shot by Lee Child. I rather liked it. I've also read several of David Morrell's books. Just finished The Shimmer not that long ago. I would recommend Creepers and Scavenger, especially Creepers. Excellent book. Don't read a lot of espionage type books and didn't read his Rambo series, but Morrell is also a gifted thriller novelist.

One Shot was really good. I believe that's the one that's under contract right now to become a movie. Maybe. Perhaps. You know how those things go. The Reacher novel I'm reading right now is called Bad Luck and Trouble, and I'm enjoying it. Then again I've enjoyed them all. Hey, I know it's not exactly the world's most brilliant literature but I think Lee Child can weave an excellent story that keeps you guessing.

I'm familiar with David Morrell but actually haven't read any of his books, that I can recall. However, I really enjoy espionage novels or political thrillers or whatever the genre is called these days. One of my favorite authors is Vince Flynn, with his Mitch Rapp stories. Pretty intense stuff. I used to be a huge Tom Clancy fan, and even though Clancy is starting to (trying to) make a comeback, personally I think Flynn has well and truly supplanted him.

Anyone here ever read any of Stephen Hunter's novels about a good ol' boy named Bob Lee Swagger? He's a renowned sniper from the Vietnam War who can't seem to leave his old profession behind; then again, the bad guys usually push him into it. The character Swagger comes from Arkansas, and I lived there for a couple of years, so that's what attracted me at first. The books are very good. One of Hunter's Swagger novels was adapted for a movie called Shooter not long ago. It stars Mark Wahlberg and aside from some arguably necessary plot changes to "modernize" the story, the movie is pretty faithful to the book and pretty damn exciting to watch.

I appreciate everyone's contributions and I hope more will come. :)

Posted Image
The evil overlord mummy moderator has spoken.

Visit My Blog!

#49    kmt_sesh

kmt_sesh

Omnipotent Entity

• 9,304 posts

Posted 19 May 2011 - 02:36 AM

View Postquestionmark, on 18 May 2011 - 02:57 PM, said:

I read one for fun and the rest as reference for a work I started on (but haven't written a single letter yet), that is why it is 10 at once.

LOL I envy you, that. Reading ten books at once? I'm lucky to have the time to be reading two at a time; if I'm lucky, maybe three.

Maybe that's for the best. Were I to try to read that many books at one time, I'd likely get them confused and start thinking Sumerians built the Great Pyramid during the Peloponnesian War which was fought between Julius Caesar and Hammurabi near the first cataract of the Nile...

You get the idea. On the plus side, even in that state of mind, I would still not introduce aliens or Atlanteans into my befuddled memory. No one goes that far off the deep end, right? :rolleyes:

Posted Image
The evil overlord mummy moderator has spoken.

Visit My Blog!

#50    Aus Der Box Skeptisch

Aus Der Box Skeptisch

Unknown title error

• 3,233 posts
  • Location:arizona (originally the wisconsin/minnesota area eh!)

Posted 19 May 2011 - 06:43 AM

Shooter was a good movie. And marky mark is an excellent actor. I should pick up that book.

"Though I stand in opposition to you, I am not opposed to you. Night and Day stand in opposition to each other, but they are not opposed to each other -they are merely two halves of the same coin."

#51    The_Spartan

The_Spartan

Spartan Forever!!!!

• 3,779 posts

• Gravity is Arbitrary!!

Posted 19 May 2011 - 08:57 AM

View PostAus Der Box Skeptisch, on 19 May 2011 - 06:43 AM, said:

Shooter was a good movie. And marky mark is an excellent actor. I should pick up that book.

yeah. Bob Lee Swagger...Yeah!
Did u know that Swagger is actually based on Carlos hathcock, a legendary Marine Sniper!!
I have read all the books so far.

Edit, i know that cladkoxy sometimes discusses about Ancient Egyptian Boats and i found one such book by Dilwyn Jones - Ancient Egyptian Boats

Have a good read!!

"Wise men, when in doubt whether to speak or to keep quiet, give themselves the benefit of the doubt, and remain silent.-Napoleon Hill

Follow my stupid posts on Tumblr at Azrael's Ramblings

#52    questionmark

questionmark

Cinicus Magnus

• 39,730 posts

• In a flat world there is an explanation to everything.

Posted 19 May 2011 - 12:15 PM

View Postkmt_sesh, on 19 May 2011 - 02:36 AM, said:

LOL I envy you, that. Reading ten books at once? I'm lucky to have the time to be reading two at a time; if I'm lucky, maybe three.

Maybe that's for the best. Were I to try to read that many books at one time, I'd likely get them confused and start thinking Sumerians built the Great Pyramid during the Peloponnesian War which was fought between Julius Caesar and Hammurabi near the first cataract of the Nile...

You get the idea. On the plus side, even in that state of mind, I would still not introduce aliens or Atlanteans into my befuddled memory. No one goes that far off the deep end, right? :rolleyes:

Lol. Well mostly it is to form the cross references in my brain. Once I start writing I don't want to be stopped by having to start digging through literature to remember what links where and why.

But the Atlanteans and Nibbler addition always makes me wonder if some people are trying to create themselves a Erstazreligion, after all the attributions given to both Nibblers and Atlanteans is what people in other times attributed to the gods.

A skeptic is a well informed believer and a pessimist a well informed optimist
The most dangerous views of the world are from those who have never seen it. ~ Alexander v. Humboldt
If you want to bulls**t me please do it so that it takes me more than a minute to find out

about me

#53    The_Spartan

The_Spartan

Spartan Forever!!!!

• 3,779 posts

• Gravity is Arbitrary!!

Posted 19 May 2011 - 12:21 PM

I read fiction and Non Fiction - both paper and E books.
If its Paper books, i finish what i start reading. I got this Speed reading technique so that i can read fast, pausing in between to take notes (only when i am reading Non-fiction)
If its eBooks, i add a page mark to the page i have read. I got many eBooks, partially read, in this manner. Slowly, i get back to them and complete reading them  :rolleyes:

"Wise men, when in doubt whether to speak or to keep quiet, give themselves the benefit of the doubt, and remain silent.-Napoleon Hill

#54    psychicjlee

psychicjlee

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 29 posts

• The Ultimate Understanding Takes A Complete Mind To Understand

Posted 22 May 2011 - 07:04 AM

i am reading

guines world records 2003

#55    The_Spartan

The_Spartan

Spartan Forever!!!!

• 3,779 posts

• Gravity is Arbitrary!!

Posted 22 May 2011 - 03:36 PM

I downloaded three books in the "Shire Egyptology" Series, published by Shire Publishing.

Egyptian Metalworking and Tools - Bernd Scheel

Egyptian Medicine - Carole Reeves

Egyptian Woodworking and Furniture - Geoffrey Killen

Egyptian Towns and Cities - Eric P. Uphill

small books, but good stuff. next on my reading list!!

#56    shadowsot

shadowsot

Nightstalker

• 9,113 posts

• Oops.

Posted 22 May 2011 - 04:38 PM

View PostThe Spartan, on 22 May 2011 - 03:36 PM, said:

I downloaded three books in the "Shire Egyptology" Series, published by Shire Publishing.

Egyptian Metalworking and Tools - Bernd Scheel

Egyptian Medicine - Carole Reeves

Egyptian Woodworking and Furniture - Geoffrey Killen

Egyptian Towns and Cities - Eric P. Uphill

small books, but good stuff. next on my reading list!!

New stuff for my wishlist, but the Egyptian Metal working may take some time.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.
-Terry Pratchett

#57    Abramelin

Abramelin

-

• 18,180 posts
  • Location:"Here the tide is ruled, by the wind, the moon and us."

• God created the world, but the Dutch created the Netherlands

Posted 22 May 2011 - 05:16 PM

I have been reading "Ancient Mysteries & Alternative History", a forum on the "Unexplained Mysteries" site for years now.

And of course every online book and document (remotely) related to the "Oera Linda Book" thread.

I can tell you all: I have never in my life read so many medieval manuscripts and 19th century (Dutch) texts as in this past year.

Edited by Abramelin, 22 May 2011 - 05:17 PM.

#58    DieChecker

DieChecker

I'm a Rogue Scholar

• 23,867 posts

• Hey, I'm not wrong. I'm just not completely right.

Posted 22 May 2011 - 09:11 PM

View PostWandering, on 18 May 2011 - 06:46 AM, said:

Do you all really read 1/4 of a book then start reading another one? Then stop and start reading another one??? Everyone seems to be 'reading' 10 books at a time :)
I often will be reading 3 or 4 at a time. Usually they are a mix however, so I can keep them straight. One will be fantasy, one sci-fi, another a science type book, and a fourth could be a biography, mystery or often, the Bible.

I've read that do so is good for keeping your memory sharp. You know... the more you use it, the stronger it is.

Edited by DieChecker, 22 May 2011 - 09:12 PM.

Here at Intel we make processors on 12 inch wafers. And, the individual processors on the wafers are called die. And, I am employed to check these die. That is why I am the DieChecker.

At times one remains faithful to a cause only because its opponents do not cease to be insipid. - Friedrich Nietzsche

Qualifications? This is cryptozoology, dammit! All that is required is the spirit of adventure. - Night Walker

#59    The World Has Gone Insane

The World Has Gone Insane

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 21 posts

• Its not me thats insane, its the world!

Posted 22 May 2011 - 09:26 PM

View PostThe Spartan, on 10 May 2011 - 08:13 AM, said:

In Non fiction I am currently reading three books :
1. Friedman, Richard - Who Wrote the Bible
2. Finkelstein, Israel - The Bible Unearthed. Archaeology´s New Vision of Ancient Israel and the Origin of Its Sacred Texts
3. Armstrong, Karen - A History of God

Among Fiction reads
1. Cussler, Clive- The Jungle
2. Patterson, James - Toys

On the reading list are the following books :

Non Fiction :
1. Sand, Shlomo - The Invention of the Jewish People
2. Armstrong, Karen - The Battle for God

Fiction :
1. Though the book series is for young readers..i have liked the Ranger's Apprentice series by John Flanagan. got a few more books to read in the series.

Actually those five non-fiction books are fantasy novels

I am an Atheist, a Ancient Astronaut theorist, a believer that 9/11 was an in side job, a believer that aliens frequently visit earth, and someone who's sanity is always being questioned.

#60    The World Has Gone Insane

The World Has Gone Insane

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 21 posts

• Its not me thats insane, its the world!

Posted 22 May 2011 - 09:28 PM

View Postthe L, on 10 May 2011 - 09:40 PM, said:

same here.

Anyways, I recently finished (fantasy) Wizard's First Rule by Terry Goodkind. Great book. I agree with first rule.
http://en.wikipedia....39;s_First_Rule
And I finished The fifth mountain by Paulo Coelho. Awesome book.
http://www.paulocoel...om/en/store.php

The Fifth Mountain is Paulo Coelho's inspiring story of the Biblical prophet Elijah. In the ninth century B.C., the Phoenician princess Jezebel orders the execution of all the prophets who refuse to seek safety in the land of Zarephath, where the unexpectedly finds true love with a young widow. But this newfound rapture is to be cut short, and Elijah sees all of his hopes and dreams irrevocably erased as he is swept into a whirlwind of events that threatens his very existence. In what is truly a literary milestone, Coelho gives a quietly moving account of a man touched by the hand of God who must triumph over his frustrations in a soul-shattering trail of faith.

Good books series

*SPOILER ALERT*

Richard gets kidnapped in the second book. And later in the series he meets three half-siblings.Also Kahlan gets pregnant

I am an Atheist, a Ancient Astronaut theorist, a believer that 9/11 was an in side job, a believer that aliens frequently visit earth, and someone who's sanity is always being questioned.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users