Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

What are you currently reading?

• Please log in to reply
164 replies to this topic

#91    Mr. Mummy's Merry Maiden!

Mr. Mummy's Merry Maiden!

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 113 posts

• - Indeed, I am alive today; tomorrow is in god's hands -

Posted 31 May 2011 - 01:47 PM

I've just finished reading Reliquary by Preston & Child, and waiting for Cabinet of Curioisities to come through the post...Hurry up, Amazon!!

Please vote for Merrydancer Kornflake! http://www.summeroft...allery?photo=56

#92    rashore

rashore

Telekinetic

• 6,729 posts

Posted 31 May 2011 - 09:02 PM

Right now I'm reading

The Country Kitchen 1850- by Americana Review
The Book of Garden Wisdom- which is a collection of wisdom from Farmers Almanac
Bringers of Death- which is a collection of Warhammer 40k stories.
and the Vampire Diaries series again since the last one came out recently.

#93    susieice

susieice

December's Child

• 10,948 posts

• "Some say the world will end in fire, some say in ice."
    .....Robert Frost

Posted 01 June 2011 - 12:46 AM

View PostMr. Mummy, on 31 May 2011 - 01:47 PM, said:

I've just finished reading Reliquary by Preston & Child, and waiting for Cabinet of Curioisities to come through the post...Hurry up, Amazon!!
Cabinet of Curiosities is very good. Reliquary held me spellbound. Couldn't put it down. That book gave me as much of the creeps as anything Stephen King ever wrote. It's one of my all time favorites.
The homeless packs do exist from everything I've been able to find about it. A city under the city. Nothing about anything else being real.
No spoilers please.  ;)

Edited by susieice, 01 June 2011 - 12:49 AM.

"The universe is full of magical things, patiently waiting for our wits to sharpen."  Eden Phillpotts

Opponere draconem est prehendere vitam

"I'm sure the universe is full of intelligent life. It's just been too intelligent to come here." Arthur C. Clarke

#94    George Ford

George Ford

Shadow Slayer

• 2,786 posts

• "Quickly, I require your fingers."

Posted 03 June 2011 - 08:13 PM

I just bought and read (in one day!) The Psychopath Test by Jon Ronson. Its a damn good read as it's all true!!!!

“Extraordinary claims require extraoardinary evidence”

~
Carl Sagan

#95    devillina

devillina

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 43 posts

• It is easy to stand a pain, but difficult to stand an itch.

Posted 04 June 2011 - 02:46 AM

:wub: this book named The Romantic Germans where there are some stories by Hoffmann and Novalis

#96    The_Spartan

The_Spartan

Spartan Forever!!!!

• 3,712 posts

• Gravity is Arbitrary!!

Posted 05 June 2011 - 09:44 AM

i have currently dropped everything on my reading list and have started reading a very iteresting book, which is in simple language for a layman like me.

The Pyramid Builders of Ancient Egypt: Modern Investigation of Pharaoh's Workforce -by Dr. A. Rosalie David

The best portion of the book, so far i have read in it, is the historicaL background of Egypt and the Pyramids. its rxplained in such simple language.

i recommend it for all.

Edited by Space_Man_Spiff, 05 June 2011 - 09:44 AM.

"Wise men, when in doubt whether to speak or to keep quiet, give themselves the benefit of the doubt, and remain silent.-Napoleon Hill

Follow my stupid posts on Tumblr at Azrael's Ramblings

#97    kmt_sesh

kmt_sesh

Telekinetic

• 7,455 posts

Posted 12 June 2011 - 12:08 AM

I've read that book and also enjoyed it, Spiff. It was very interesting, especially reading about the excavations at Kahun, the first state-planned village discovered from pharaonic Egypt.

Yesterday I picked up a couple more of Lincoln Child's Jack Reacher novels, Nothing to Lose and The Hard Way. I started reading Nothing to Lose last night and, true to form, found it extremely difficult to put down. Kept me up quite late. By this point I have to think I've read nearly all of the Jack Reacher stories, but I'm not positive. I'm not even sure in which order they were written, not that it matters: each is more or less a stand-alone story.

On the historical side I'm also reading Jean-Jacques Glassner's The Invention of Cuneiform: Writing in Sumer. It's not exactly the most lively work of history I've read but lots of information, and quite a bit of detail on find-sites and analyses of the emergence of cuneiform in Mesopotamia.

Editing to add a link to Glassner's book on cuneiform, which I forgot to do, so here it is: LINK. I won't bother with links to the Jack Reacher novels because they're available at practically every standard book store.

Edited by kmt_sesh, 12 June 2011 - 12:10 AM.

Posted Image
Words of wisdom from Richard Clopton:
For every credibility gap there is a gullibility fill.

Visit My Blog!

#98    questionmark

questionmark

Cinicus Magnus

• 35,223 posts

• In a flat world there is an explanation to everything.

Posted 12 June 2011 - 12:12 AM

View Postkmt_sesh, on 12 June 2011 - 12:08 AM, said:

I've read that book and also enjoyed it, Spiff. It was very interesting, especially reading about the excavations at Kahun, the first state-planned village discovered from pharaonic Egypt.

Yesterday I picked up a couple more of Lincoln Child's Jack Reacher novels, Nothing to Lose and The Hard Way. I started reading Nothing to Lose last night and, true to form, found it extremely difficult to put down. Kept me up quite late. By this point I have to think I've read nearly all of the Jack Reacher stories, but I'm not positive. I'm not even sure in which order they were written, not that it matters: each is more or less a stand-alone story.

On the historical side I'm also reading Jean-Jacques Glassner's The Invention of Cuneiform: Writing in Sumer. It's not exactly the most lively work of history I've read but lots of information, and quite a bit of detail on find-sites and analyses of the emergence of cuneiform in Mesopotamia.

Glassners's book is important if you ever want to understand cuneiform because just as important to understand the writing it is to understand its history. Generally can help you out of a bind with ill formed words.

BTW, did you shell out the $200 or did you get it from a library?

A skeptic is a well informed believer and a pessimist a well informed optimist
The most dangerous views of the world are from those who have never seen it. ~ Alexander v. Humboldt
If you want to bulls**t me please do it so that it takes me more than a minute to find out

about me

#99    questionmark

questionmark

Cinicus Magnus

• 35,223 posts

Posted 12 June 2011 - 11:24 PM

View Postquestionmark, on 12 June 2011 - 12:12 AM, said:

Glassners's book is important if you ever want to understand cuneiform because just as important to understand the writing it is to understand its history. Generally can help you out of a bind with ill formed words.

BTW, did you shell out the $200 or did you get it from a library?

Edit, did not know they had it as paperback... and last time I saw the price it was like $198 or something like that. Guess I'll order my copy now too.

The most dangerous views of the world are from those who have never seen it. ~ Alexander v. Humboldt
If you want to bulls**t me please do it so that it takes me more than a minute to find out

about me

#100    kmt_sesh

kmt_sesh

Telekinetic

• 7,455 posts

Posted 12 June 2011 - 11:58 PM

View Postquestionmark, on 12 June 2011 - 11:24 PM, said:

Edit, did not know they had it as paperback... and last time I saw the price it was like $198 or something like that. Guess I'll order my copy now too.

I don't see myself ever seriously undertaking cuneiform, questionmark. I dabbled in it once (Akkadian) but didn't last long. Damn difficult stuff. I'll stick with Egyptian hieroglyphs, but I'm also just starting to look at Attic Greek. LOL I've been saying that for a while now, actually. I need more time for these pursuits, dammit!

But even if I don't try to learn cuneiform, I always remain interested in how the script functioned and how it was adapted by the various cultures that employed it. I bought Glassner's book because I thought it might be interesting to go into more detail about the very origins of the script.

LOL No, I would not pay $200 for this book. I didn't know the hard-cover version even cost that much. I bought the paperback version at the Oriental Institute book shop some time ago, and only recently got around to start reading it.

Posted Image
Words of wisdom from Richard Clopton:
For every credibility gap there is a gullibility fill.

Visit My Blog!

#101    questionmark

questionmark

Cinicus Magnus

• 35,223 posts

Posted 13 June 2011 - 12:04 AM

View Postkmt_sesh, on 12 June 2011 - 11:58 PM, said:

I don't see myself ever seriously undertaking cuneiform, questionmark. I dabbled in it once (Akkadian) but didn't last long. Damn difficult stuff. I'll stick with Egyptian hieroglyphs, but I'm also just starting to look at Attic Greek. LOL I've been saying that for a while now, actually. I need more time for these pursuits, dammit!

Once you understand the transition from the primitive figurative symbol (we could call it a glyph) to the abstract form it is not so difficult anymore. After a while you start to see symbols in every line combination :w00t:

about me

#102    The_Spartan

The_Spartan

Spartan Forever!!!!

• 3,712 posts

• Gravity is Arbitrary!!

Posted 15 June 2011 - 02:10 PM

check out - What If?: The World's Foremost Military Historians Imagine What Might Have Been -edited by Robert Crowley

dying to read the second volume...

What If? 2: Eminent Historians Imagine What Might Have Been -Edited by Robert Crowley

Serious thinking!!

"Wise men, when in doubt whether to speak or to keep quiet, give themselves the benefit of the doubt, and remain silent.-Napoleon Hill

Follow my stupid posts on Tumblr at Azrael's Ramblings

#103    ShadowSot

ShadowSot

Stinky Cheese

• 6,874 posts

• Oops.

Posted 16 June 2011 - 02:47 PM

I order a few of Martin Gardner's puzzle books from Amazon, currently working my way through two of them.

A lot of fun, sometime syou need a brain teaser at work.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.
-Terry Pratchett

#104    Yazdepp

Yazdepp

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 17 June 2011 - 07:59 AM

Abraham Lincoln Vampire Hunter.

#105    ManApart

ManApart

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 323 posts

• " Every man.. at some time in his life, stumbles across the truth. Most pick themselves up, and go on as nothing ever happened." -Winston Churchill

Posted 17 June 2011 - 05:07 PM

I am currently studying The Stoic and Epicurean Philosophers, The Complete Extant Writings of Epicurus, Epictetus, Lucretius, and Marcus Aurelius.  Beautiful book.  It gives the writings of both sides of the philosophical perspective and at the end, gives the personal; diary of Marcus Aurelius.  Marcus was a man of character and his diary was not meant for public eyes, so it is very personal.  His character allows him to be at a balance and harmony between the points of Stoicism and Epicureanism.

I recommend the book for anyone who has the inquisitive mind to study the history and origins of the human nature and how it relates to the divine.

May Grace and Peace Be With You...ManApart

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users