Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

T-rex may have hunted in packs

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1    Still Waters

Still Waters

Deeply Mysterious

• 43,392 posts

• Sometimes it's better to keep the mystery unexplained.

Posted 20 May 2011 - 02:22 PM

www.dailymail.co.uk said:

Tyrannosaurus rex and its relatives were more intelligent than previously thought and hunted in gangs which included young and older members, researchers have claimed.

Scientists believe they have evidence that the top predator dinosaurs were highly intelligent pack animals, despite T-rex being popularly depicted as a dangerous but dim-witted loner.

This is a myth that has grown up because for many years their fossil skeletons tended to be found on their own, researchers say.

The new theory follows an analysis of skeletons of the tyrannosaur Tarbosaurus bataar from 90 sites in the Gobi Desert, Mongolia.

Tarbosaurus, a cousin of T-rex that lived around 70 million years ago, was a two-legged predator up to 12 metres long and weighing five tonnes.

At least half a dozen of the animals appear to have belonged to a single social group, including adults and juveniles, that died together.

Posted Image Read more...

Posted Image

#2    Drakester

Drakester

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 56 posts

Posted 21 May 2011 - 10:03 PM

Nothing that hadnīt been suggested before... I think the idea of social (which is not the same as pack-hunting) tyrannosaurs was first suggested in the 80s... I may be wrong, tho.

It is funny, however, how the article deals with Tarbosaurus, but it is T-Rex that gets to the headline :D

"He to whom this emotion is a stranger, who can no longer pause to wonder and stand rapt in awe, is as good as dead: his eyes are closed"

Albert Einstein

#3    SurgeTechnologies

SurgeTechnologies

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,376 posts

• "Why not take what seems to me the only chance of escaping what is otherwise the sure destruction"

Posted 22 May 2011 - 01:20 PM

Thats disturbing ... imagine not one, but 5 or more T-rexs running around hunting other animals... 0 chances of survival lol :blink:

RSOE EDIS - Emergency and Disaster Information Service App is available on site!

And just Russia Today...

#4    SameerPrehistorica

SameerPrehistorica

Paranormal Investigator

• Closed
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 785 posts

Posted 22 May 2011 - 01:45 PM

Nuke_em Icon
Thats disturbing ... imagine not one, but 5 or more T-rexs running around hunting other animals... 0 chances of survival

Hahaha....Exactly...That is what i thought

#5    Eaglelox

Eaglelox

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 172 posts

Posted 22 May 2011 - 01:57 PM

watch chickens some time they hunt in packs without the pack mentality to work together. when they find something they tear it up and fight amongst each other till its gone. lol

Edited by Eaglelox, 22 May 2011 - 01:58 PM.

#6    Keymaker

Keymaker

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 130 posts

• Great Artists Have No Country

Posted 22 May 2011 - 02:38 PM

My god imagine the power a "pack" of Rex's would have. Surely they would have been unstoppable?

#7    WolvenHeart7

WolvenHeart7

Alien Abducter

• 4,616 posts

Posted 22 May 2011 - 02:41 PM

Imagine how that would have made Jurassic Park like.  :w00t:

#8    d e v i c e

d e v i c e

Ambassador of Fear

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,747 posts

Posted 22 May 2011 - 04:01 PM

I'm a bit like the T-Rex, 'a dangerous but dim-witted loner'       :tu:

#9    Drakester

Drakester

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 56 posts

Posted 22 May 2011 - 09:12 PM

View PostDevice, on 22 May 2011 - 04:01 PM, said:

Only it wasnīt dim witted... and probably wasnīt a loner either.

BTW, there is one species of crocodilian (the Cuban crocodile) and one species of bird (the Harris Hawk) which are known to hunt cooperatively. I donīt see why dinosaurs couldnīt have done the same.

"He to whom this emotion is a stranger, who can no longer pause to wonder and stand rapt in awe, is as good as dead: his eyes are closed"

Albert Einstein

#10    marcos anthony toledo

marcos anthony toledo

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 224 posts

Posted 22 May 2011 - 09:14 PM

The problem has been the lone hunter story which in reality it's dangerous and risky and leads the preditor open to injury and death with more members that lowers the risks in the hunt.

#11    Princess Serenity

Princess Serenity

YOUR FAVORITE GIRL!

• 8,745 posts

• "There's nothing to fear but fear itself." Franklin D Roosevelt.

Posted 22 May 2011 - 10:58 PM

My T-rexs dreams will be more scary than ever. |: Thanks a lot. (Though the dreams are rare.)

Posted Image

#12    Drakester

Drakester

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 56 posts

Posted 23 May 2011 - 04:48 PM

View PostMoon Princess, on 22 May 2011 - 10:58 PM, said:

My T-rexs dreams will be more scary than ever. |: Thanks a lot. (Though the dreams are rare.)

I've been eaten by a T-Rex in my dreams. It's not really that bad. Quick and painless XD

Albert Einstein

#13    Verneph

Verneph

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 666 posts

• I probably think too much...

Posted 23 May 2011 - 05:09 PM

View PostDevice, on 22 May 2011 - 04:01 PM, said:

T-Rex was actually considered quite smart by dinosaur standards.  The idea that they could have hunted in packs is interesting.  It was probably assumed to be a loner because its sheer size lended to the idea that it just didn't need help to take down its meals.  

It's been thought for a while that the Rex operated in a family system (they hunted in a group of several juveniles and two adults, or just the Mom depending on which scientist you talk to).  The idea that they hunted in larger groups is an interesting idea, and not such a stretch considering what we know about them.

Edited by Verneph, 23 May 2011 - 05:11 PM.

#14    danielost

danielost

Forum Divinity

• 31,828 posts

Posted 23 May 2011 - 08:15 PM

View PostDrakester, on 22 May 2011 - 09:12 PM, said:

Only it wasnīt dim witted... and probably wasnīt a loner either.

BTW, there is one species of crocodilian (the Cuban crocodile) and one species of bird (the Harris Hawk) which are known to hunt cooperatively. I donīt see why dinosaurs couldnīt have done the same.
do you mean the bird and the croc hunt together or the croc hunts with other crocs.  if  you mean the other the nile croc does the samething.

I am a Mormon.  If I don't use Mormons believe, those my beliefs only.
I do not go to church haven't for thirty years.
There are other Mormons on this site. So if I have misspoken about the beliefs. I welcome their input.
I am not perfect and never will be. I do strive to be true to myself. I do my best to stay true to the Mormon faith. Thanks for caring and if you don't peace be with you.

#15    danielost

danielost

Forum Divinity

• 31,828 posts

Posted 23 May 2011 - 08:17 PM

View PostVerneph, on 23 May 2011 - 05:09 PM, said:

T-Rex was actually considered quite smart by dinosaur standards.  The idea that they could have hunted in packs is interesting.  It was probably assumed to be a loner because its sheer size lended to the idea that it just didn't need help to take down its meals.  

It's been thought for a while that the Rex operated in a family system (they hunted in a group of several juveniles and two adults, or just the Mom depending on which scientist you talk to).  The idea that they hunted in larger groups is an interesting idea, and not such a stretch considering what we know about them.

if it wanted to go after a saropod it would have needed to hunt in packs.  maybe they were like lions, most hunting in packs some hunting alone.

I am a Mormon.  If I don't use Mormons believe, those my beliefs only.
I do not go to church haven't for thirty years.
There are other Mormons on this site. So if I have misspoken about the beliefs. I welcome their input.
I am not perfect and never will be. I do strive to be true to myself. I do my best to stay true to the Mormon faith. Thanks for caring and if you don't peace be with you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users