Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

OK Corral gunfight not a case of good v evil

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1    Still Waters

Still Waters

Deeply Mysterious

• 43,392 posts

• Sometimes it's better to keep the mystery unexplained.

Posted 21 May 2011 - 01:25 PM

www.dailymail.co.uk said:

Past Boothill Graveyard and around the bend where Arizona 80 becomes Fremont Street, a larger-than-life statue of a man rises from a low sandstone pedestal.

Clad in a duster and broad-brimmed hat, a sawed-off shotgun over one shoulder, Wyatt Earp stands guard at the entrance to this dusty town that calls itself 'too tough to die'.

Since the famed 'gunfight at the O.K. Corral' in October 26, 1881, the famed frontier lawman has loomed large over this former boomtown.

The silver deposits that gave birth to the city have long since been played out, but Tombstone has survived largely by mining the legend of the West's most infamous shootout.

And in popular culture, the Earps have always been the good guys; the McLaurys and Clantons, the bad guys.

But sharp-eyed tourists may spot something subtle away from the action at the O.K. Corral.

Hanging on the stucco wall surrounding the little amphitheatre where the fusillade is re-enacted daily is a tiny bronze plaque.

Unpretentious and easy to miss, it is dedicated, not to the badge-wearing Earps or their tubercular friend, John Henry 'Doc' Holliday, but to the memory of brothers Frank and Tom McLaury - two of the three men who died that day.

Beneath oval portraits of the two is a short, but enigmatic epitaph: 'One owes respect to the living, but to the dead, one owes nothing but the truth.'

To movie-goers who thought they knew the real story of the O.K. Corral, the McLaury clan's message is unmistakable.

Pam Potter of Mountain Center, California, the brothers' great-grand-niece, says: 'The stars of the gunfight were the winners.'

Posted Image Read more...

Posted Image

#2    DieChecker

DieChecker

I'm a Rogue Scholar

• 23,890 posts

• Hey, I'm not wrong. I'm just not completely right.

Posted 24 May 2011 - 05:32 PM

I saw the movie with Kevin Costner and Bill Paxton, so I know the truth.

History is written by the winners, right?

Here at Intel we make processors on 12 inch wafers. And, the individual processors on the wafers are called die. And, I am employed to check these die. That is why I am the DieChecker.

At times one remains faithful to a cause only because its opponents do not cease to be insipid. - Friedrich Nietzsche

Qualifications? This is cryptozoology, dammit! All that is required is the spirit of adventure. - Night Walker

#3    danielost

danielost

Forum Divinity

• 31,828 posts

Posted 24 May 2011 - 06:02 PM

View PostDieChecker, on 24 May 2011 - 05:32 PM, said:

I saw the movie with Kevin Costner and Bill Paxton, so I know the truth.

History is written by the winners, right?
Since only one guy died in that idiotiac gunfight.  i would say both sides won.

Edited by danielost, 24 May 2011 - 06:05 PM.

I am a Mormon.  If I don't use Mormons believe, those my beliefs only.
I do not go to church haven't for thirty years.
There are other Mormons on this site. So if I have misspoken about the beliefs. I welcome their input.
I am not perfect and never will be. I do strive to be true to myself. I do my best to stay true to the Mormon faith. Thanks for caring and if you don't peace be with you.

#4    ohio state buckeyes

ohio state buckeyes

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,563 posts

Posted 24 May 2011 - 09:41 PM

Interesting that they were trying to bans guns some 130 back.

#5    AK-Mac

AK-Mac

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 25 May 2011 - 03:40 PM

Ban them in the city, not ban them period. Big difference. You were encouraged and *allowed to own a gun back then. Today, that will soon be gone. Soon, only criminals will have guns. Awesome.

#6    ohio state buckeyes

ohio state buckeyes

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,563 posts

Posted 25 May 2011 - 10:45 PM

Guns will never be banned and its not due to the best efforts of the NRA to
make gun owners paranoid what should be banned is assault weapons.  They have nothing to due with self defense and every thing to do with making people
feel powerful. The argument that there used against the government is just
lame and is not how the constitution reads. The states have a militia and dont
need gun loving right wingers playing army.

#7    Taut

Taut

Apparition

• Closed
  • PipPip
  • 370 posts

Posted 26 May 2011 - 03:58 PM

My Great grandfather used to tell me stories about Wyatt Earp and some of the better known folks of that time, cause he built roads in that area and saw them a lot. Not to disparage the dead but my Grandfather said that Wyatt was just a mean drunk. Saw him pistol whip an unarmed man in the street once, but never really wanted to know him personally,  and my GGrandfather wasn't prone to embellishment like some of the old west story tellers. He had left the Tombstone area by the time of the OK Corral so didn't know anything about it.
My great grandmother grew up with the Dalton brothers and said they were not who the "tabloids" or dime novelists talked about in any way. After a lot of reading and listening to people who's family members or whatever were actually there, it seems to be a lot different than the "stories".   Tall tales were cherished back then for their entertainment value.

Just a little aside.

Edited by Taut, 26 May 2011 - 04:09 PM.

#8    27vet

27vet

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 697 posts

• Sometimes I sits and thinks and sometimes I just sits.

Posted 30 July 2011 - 09:04 AM

View PostTaut, on 26 May 2011 - 03:58 PM, said:

My Great grandfather used to tell me stories about Wyatt Earp and some of the better known folks of that time, cause he built roads in that area and saw them a lot. Not to disparage the dead but my Grandfather said that Wyatt was just a mean drunk. Saw him pistol whip an unarmed man in the street once, but never really wanted to know him personally,  and my GGrandfather wasn't prone to embellishment like some of the old west story tellers. He had left the Tombstone area by the time of the OK Corral so didn't know anything about it.
My great grandmother grew up with the Dalton brothers and said they were not who the "tabloids" or dime novelists talked about in any way. After a lot of reading and listening to people who's family members or whatever were actually there, it seems to be a lot different than the "stories".   Tall tales were cherished back then for their entertainment value.

Just a little aside.

Fascinating, because from all that I have read about Wyatt Earp he seemed to be a no-nonsense lawman.

#9    dharma warrior

dharma warrior

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 264 posts

• "Life is hard, it's harder if you're stupid.

Posted 20 August 2011 - 04:14 PM

Earp was a lawman, and a pimp, a gambler, a thief and whatever suited his needs at the time. Basically an opportunist. Not the rosy picture that Hollywood has painted for us. Looking forward to a true accounting of the Earp saga.

#10    27vet

27vet

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 697 posts

• Sometimes I sits and thinks and sometimes I just sits.

Posted 20 August 2011 - 05:45 PM

View Postdharma warrior, on 20 August 2011 - 04:14 PM, said:

Earp was a lawman, and a pimp, a gambler, a thief and whatever suited his needs at the time. Basically an opportunist. Not the rosy picture that Hollywood has painted for us. Looking forward to a true accounting of the Earp saga.

What lawman wasn't? I guess it takes a thief to catch a thief.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users