Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Dragons

• Please log in to reply
61 replies to this topic

#46    JGirl

JGirl

Pajama Goddess

• 8,936 posts

Posted 08 September 2012 - 08:06 AM

View Postsuperdarkyoshi, on 24 May 2011 - 03:28 AM, said:

Do you think their is a possibility that dragons existed long ago beside dinosaurs and In the midevil times?
they are sorta dinosaurish...
they haven't found any fossils to suggest there were dragons during that time, but if there ever were that would probably be when they existed.

edit to say crap i didn't realize i was posting on an ancient thread

Edited by JGirl, 08 September 2012 - 08:12 AM.

#47    Abramelin

Abramelin

-

• 18,108 posts
  • Location:"Here the tide is ruled, by the wind, the moon and us."

• God created the world, but the Dutch created the Netherlands

Posted 08 September 2012 - 11:46 AM

View PostApopo, on 08 September 2012 - 07:49 AM, said:

Imagination + crocodiles/constrictors = legends of dragons.

Like Drakester said, the Chinese attributed many different creatures' fossils to different features of the dragon.

The most clear example are the "dragon teeth" : they have been proven to be the molars of a big ape, "Gigantopithecus".

#48    Nathan DiYorio

Nathan DiYorio

Extraterrestrial Entity

• PipPipPip
  • 407 posts

• Bitter words with sweet flavor are poison just the same.

Posted 08 September 2012 - 07:19 PM

Dragons still exist:

Posted Image

Posted Image

#49    Arbitran

Arbitran

Post-Singularitan Hyperturing Synthetic Intelligence

• 2,767 posts

Posted 08 September 2012 - 11:57 PM

I'll say it's possible. Frankly, as a biologist myself, I can't rule them out. Though the concept is just a tad improbable. But from what I've read, I have to admit that those medieval scribes and such probably saw something. What it might have been I can't say, but it's not the most preposterous thing I've ever heard.

Try to realize it's all within yourself / No-one else can make you change / And to see you're really only very small / And life flows on within you and without you. / We were talking about the love that's gone so cold and the people / Who gain the world and lose their soul / They don't know they can't see are you one of them? / When you've seen beyond yourself then you may find peace of mind / Is waiting there / And the time will come / when you see we're all one and life flows on within you and without you. ~ George Harrison

#50    orangepeaceful79

orangepeaceful79

Poltergeist

• Closed
  • 2,461 posts

Posted 09 September 2012 - 01:38 AM

View PostSoul Kitchen, on 24 May 2011 - 04:48 AM, said:

Aren't many Biblical figures actually Dragons, or something...?  ;)

Gonna have to go with "or something".

#51    orangepeaceful79

orangepeaceful79

Poltergeist

• Closed
  • 2,461 posts

Posted 09 September 2012 - 01:50 AM

View PostEmin, on 25 May 2011 - 02:33 PM, said:

dragonz are real?  Posted Image

No.  Never were - at least in the sense that there were never a)flying serpent things  or B) flying, flire-breathing serpent things.  A critter like that would be pretty unlikely to die off an go extinct if you think about it.  It could eat whatever it wanted, whenever it wanted, guaranteeing its survival.

That and the fact that there is nowhere in the world any modern corollary to fire-breathing in the animal kingdom.  Nothing like it at all.  Such an adaptation would be beneficial if it ever existed and would have been passed along.

#52    Skeptic Chicken

Skeptic Chicken

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 636 posts

Posted 09 September 2012 - 03:33 AM

In my opinion, humans back then fused their greatest fear with something ridiculous. Humans always feared what flys because its the only realm in which they cant naturally be. Humans can swim, and humans can walk. But we have no natural way to fly.

Then this where I just start to make assumptions >_> : Humans found dinosaur skeletons, which were similar to skeletons of reptiles in present times, and so they applied wings to their concept, and VIOLAH!

My User Name is a loving memory of how much I want to know about the worlds secrets, that I forgot to look up the definition of "skeptical" before I made my account.

#53    Blueogre2

Blueogre2

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 306 posts

Posted 09 September 2012 - 04:43 AM

Dragons? really when you think about it, Dragon is just a term for any large snake or lizard. Now if you mean fire breathing, flying city destroying dragons then no.

#54    Skeptic Chicken

Skeptic Chicken

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 636 posts

Posted 09 September 2012 - 08:21 AM

View PostBlueogre2, on 09 September 2012 - 04:43 AM, said:

Dragons? really when you think about it, Dragon is just a term for any large snake or lizard. Now if you mean fire breathing, flying city destroying dragons then no.
I've never heard someone call a Crocodile/Alligator a dragon... you must've been around someone who saw a Komodo.

My User Name is a loving memory of how much I want to know about the worlds secrets, that I forgot to look up the definition of "skeptical" before I made my account.

#55    lizzieboo

lizzieboo

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 521 posts

• He was more like a succession of extraordinary events than a person. (Douglas Adams)

Posted 09 September 2012 - 02:22 PM

It's all pretty much been covered, but I would like to say: I hope so.

All right, I see what's going on. This is the opening salvo in what will be an escalating series of juvenile tit for tat exchanges. Well titted! Stand by for my upcoming tat. --Dr. Sheldon Cooper

#56    Ryu

Ryu

Born to fail.

• 3,598 posts

• Work out your own salvation. Do not depend on others. -Buddha

Posted 09 September 2012 - 02:53 PM

View PostSkeptic Chicken, on 09 September 2012 - 08:21 AM, said:

I've never heard someone call a Crocodile/Alligator a dragon... you must've been around someone who saw a Komodo.

From what I understand, a few centuries ago any large and undefined animal was referred to as a "dragon".
For all we know, the concept of a dragon originated back when there was some sort of war and one side ran out of ammo for their catapult and found a dead crocodile or big fish, set it on fire and launched it at their enemy and there you go..a flying dragon breathing fire.

This may sound stupid ('cause it is, actually) but even though my rational and logical mid says otherwise, there has always been a part of me that thinks dragons could have been a reality on this world. But..since there is no proof then there is no point wishing otherwise.

#57    Urisk

Urisk

Smiling like a killer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,503 posts

• born to lose
    live to win

Posted 09 September 2012 - 08:36 PM

View Postsuperdarkyoshi, on 24 May 2011 - 03:28 AM, said:

Do you think their is a possibility that dragons existed long ago beside dinosaurs and In the midevil times?

I think they perhaps did. Not in a physical sense, but in the recesses of the human psyche. If enough people believe in something so much as to feel fear of it, then it's obviously real ;) Basically they were a force of nature, so although not corporeal (or "real" as such) they certainly helped explain a lot of the negative aspects of nature around us. Summat like that anyway.

View PostSoul Kitchen, on 24 May 2011 - 04:48 AM, said:

Aren't many Biblical figures actually Dragons, or something...?  ;)

There was someone here a few years ago kept mentioning that the word dragon did indeed have somehting to do with the word angel, but i really can't remember the ins and outs of it, or whether there was any stock in that. I'm sure they could give a good explanation. Failing that if the long-dead threads are still a part of this forum then you might be able to find the info.

Posted Image

I have seen beyond the bounds of infinity and drawn down daemons from the stars

#58    Thegreatsilence

Thegreatsilence

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 108 posts

Posted 14 September 2012 - 09:04 AM

I think the Eastern dragon might be  based on the Buru cryptid, they show the same kind of teeth : flattened teeth and two pairs of fangs, which is quite odd for a reptilian... As for the Western dragon, don't know why it has wings, maybe it is a just a composite or  based on snakes shedding. Have you ever heard about  the Gbahali of Africa, looks dragonesque too :

http://cryptidchroni...-of-the-gbahali

Though i don't share the idea that it is crocodilian by affinity.

#59    TigressFlameroseX39

TigressFlameroseX39

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 20 posts

• People who say anything's possible haven't tried to slam a revolving door.

Posted 17 September 2012 - 01:52 AM

Considering we still have "living fossils" among us today, way back when there may have been some dwindling survivors from the Mesozoic era. Take the Loch Ness Monster, for example. IF we can assume it exists, there has been widespread speculation that it is a relative of the plesiosaur. One such creature could easily have been mistaken as a mythical monster. Or, as pretty much everyone has suggested, the concept may have stemmed from exceptionally large reptiles and the creative capabilities of the human imagination.
There was a very entertaining special on Discovery Channel several years ago, where they had a fictionalized "discovery" of the frozen carcass of a dragon, and it basically provides various hyphotheses as to how these creatures may have existed, even going into the physiological conditions that could have allowed them to breathe fire. If anyone is interested, I suggest looking it up. It's called "Dragons: a fantasy made real."

#60    wolfknight

wolfknight

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,658 posts

• There is nothing to Fear, but fear itself

Posted 18 September 2012 - 01:40 PM

Nope would have been to cold. The little ice age was going on in that time period.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users