Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

The world's largest solar-powered boat

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1    Karlis

Karlis

• 8,614 posts

Posted 27 May 2011 - 04:13 PM

www.couriermail.com.au said:

The idea of Swiss businessman and electrical engineer Raphael Domjan, who is sailing the boat without the need for sails or pollution-producing diesel engine chewing non-renewable fuel.Pushing it along on its 50,000km world-first voyage is a solar photovoltaic surface area of 537sq m, with 38,000 solar cells. Posted Image Read more...

#2    Otto von Pickelhaube

Otto von Pickelhaube

A complete moral vacuum

• 30,165 posts

• Vampires are people too.

Posted 27 May 2011 - 04:33 PM

An interesting looking thing, but i think it shows the limitations of current solar technology; all that area of solar panels for an average speed of just 7.5 knots (which, despite what he says, the average merchant ship can go a bit faster than that). Still, always glad to see some willingness to experiment. It might be practical for where speed isn't so important.

I do find amusing, incidentally, how the journalist talks about "without the need for sails or pollution-producing diesel engine chewing non-renewable fuel", when i expect very much that he got in his car and drove to the office that morning, and then got in his car and drove to the shopping mall, and then got in his car and ....

Anyway, personally, i'd like to see a return to sail technology, taking advantage of modern automation and so on; now there's a renewable resource.

If, as it seems, we are in the process of becoming a totalitarian society in which the state apparatus is all-powerful, the ethics most important for the survival of the true, free, human individual would be: cheat, lie, evade, fake it, be elsewhere, forge documents, build improved electronic gadgets in your garage that’ll outwit the gadgets used by the authorities.

- Philip K. Dick.

#3    George Ford

George Ford

Just pretend you didn't see anything

• Banned
  • 3,149 posts

• 'I live in the weak and the wounded... Doc'

Posted 27 May 2011 - 04:35 PM

This is awesome! I want one!

“Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence” ~ Carl Sagan

#4    questionmark

questionmark

Cinicus Magnus

• 39,791 posts

• In a flat world there is an explanation to everything.

Posted 27 May 2011 - 05:39 PM

View Post747400, on 27 May 2011 - 04:33 PM, said:

An interesting looking thing, but i think it shows the limitations of current solar technology; all that area of solar panels for an average speed of just 7.5 knots (which, despite what he says, the average merchant ship can go a bit faster than that). Still, always glad to see some willingness to experiment. It might be practical for where speed isn't so important.

I do find amusing, incidentally, how the journalist talks about "without the need for sails or pollution-producing diesel engine chewing non-renewable fuel", when i expect very much that he got in his car and drove to the office that morning, and then got in his car and drove to the shopping mall, and then got in his car and ....

Anyway, personally, i'd like to see a return to sail technology, taking advantage of modern automation and so on; now there's a renewable resource.

7.5 knots for free are better than 30 knots guzzling 50 gallons per hour in my book. I would even go into drift at night. And with most sail yachts you are quite happy when you get an etmal of 180 miles. So I would say two thumbs up because at least you are independent of wind directions.

A skeptic is a well informed believer and a pessimist a well informed optimist
The most dangerous views of the world are from those who have never seen it. ~ Alexander v. Humboldt
If you want to bulls**t me please do it so that it takes me more than a minute to find out

about me

#5    Cosmic2012

Cosmic2012

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 42 posts

• "Things are only impossible until they're not"

Posted 30 May 2011 - 10:47 PM

Now that's freedom!  You took my comment though @bulveye I was gonna say I wan one too :)

#6    Taut

Taut

Apparition

• Closed
  • PipPip
  • 370 posts

Posted 31 May 2011 - 03:03 AM

Like 747 said, shows the limits........not very deck friendly.  How you sposed to fish?  And do the "deck" thing.   Glad someone is trying though, the answers will come.   Sail around the world for free, course not having to by diesel would take a while to defray the costs of all those panels.   And unfortunately, doubt it could take the beating that the ocean can sometimes give.  Still.......awesome concept.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users