Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

The Sumerian Stargate.

Kantzveldt

The case for a Sumerian stargate can be made based on illustrations such as these;

wingedgate.jpg

A winged gate, or ladder for ascension is seen above the Bull of Heaven, Taurus, or sometimes a winged figure emerging from such, as in this example from Semitic Ebla;

ebla31.jpg

In the Gilgimish epic the figure that emerges from the gate is Death, but more generally the gate was associated with Ishtar emerging from it.

The basis for the gate i would propose is that it represented the place(s) on the horizon were the galactic equator/Milky Way intersects with the ecliptic plane, this will either be in the vicinity of Taurus/Gemini, which the above illustrations represent, or the vicinity of Sagittarius/Scorpio.

This diagram then shows the two places were the ecliptic plane and Milky Way intersect with the local horizon.

duats.jpg

The illustrations are probably concerned with the intersection at Sunset, as then Taurus is beneath Gemini, in the supporting role seen, at Sunrise this is reversed.

Another example would be the 2012 21/12 concern of the Maya with the opposite Gate in Scorpius...seen at sunrise.

2012sunrise.jpg

Edited by Kantzveldt

• Replies 196
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Kantzveldt

• questionmark

• Satanus Cranium

• The Gremlin

Not this again. Many critics have defused this as just made up or speculation.

Not this again. Many critics have defused this as just made up or speculation.

This case hasn't been made before...

In Sumeria the Gemini constellation was seen as the Great Twins, they could be represented standing either side of the portal.

bab1.jpg

ishtarwingsgod.jpg

Gilgamesh's journey through the zodiac, the first point to note is that Gilgamesh and Enkidu are meant to be an incarnation of the constellation which we now refer to as Gemini. Gilgamesh was explicitly identified in a late text with the god Meslamta-ea (note the "mes" prefix) which name is the oldest known of that of the god Nergal, whose temple at Kutha was called "Emeslam." Meslamta-ea, furthermore, was one of a pair of deities whose counterpart was known as Lugal-irra, both of whom were linked astronomically with Gemini. These two gods were twins, and they were specifically associated with guarding doorways, particularly the gateway to the underworld, where they stood with bronze axes waiting to dismember the dead. When we recall the strange scene at the beginning of the epic when Gilgamesh and Enkidu first meet each other in a doorway, and then proceed to fight while somehow remaining in or near that doorway, the scene no longer appears so strange when we realize that they are meant to be the Mesopotamian Gemini who guard doorways. Both Gilgamesh and Enkidu, furthermore, like Meslamta-ea and Lugal-irra, carry bronze axes, and the first thing Enkidu does after they have felled the sacred cedar is to cut up its wood and make a doorway out of it.

http://www.mythicjourneys.org/newsletter_may07_gilgamesh3.html

Edited by Kantzveldt

Can you elaborate that more. I dont get it. :no::hmm:

Maybe because of language barrier. (mine)

This is something called deliberate and willful Pareidolia.

Just like ISALLSEEINGEYE finding Atlantis in his manipulated pictures.

Can you elaborate that more. I dont get it. :no::hmm:

Maybe because of language barrier. (mine)

Sure, the Sumerians saw Gemini as a portal flanked by the two Great Twins, the Gods were understood to emerge from this, it was a portal between Heaven and Earth.

wingedgate2.jpg

This is something called deliberate and willful Pareidolia.

Just like ISALLSEEINGEYE finding Atlantis in his manipulated pictures.

No if you look it really is there, the bull the gate above it, don't be afraid of believing the evidence of your own eyes...

This case hasn't been made before...

it doesnt differ too wildly from this?

http://blacktaj.homestead.com/files/documents/The_Sumerians_and_Gemini.pdf

only you are using different gatemen than those the Sumerians celebrated as gemini....in your pics you have Tammuz and Ningishizda ?

They guard the gates to heaven.

The sumerians liked gates, which also means they liked enclosed spaces....gardens, precincts etc.

they liked gates.....a lot. lots of gates on the way to the underworld.

gates separated areas of chaos (the wild) and those managed by men for men and the gods.

civilization from wilderness, in the Epic of Gilgamech we see the meeting of the two zones in the meeting of Gilgamech and Enkidu.

those gates you show are different from eachother, i think that sometimes you are mistaking leaves for wings and one gate is surrounded by water.

I think it would be wrong to say that they all represented the same thing.

Edited by lil gremlin

The case for a Sumerian stargate can be made based on illustrations such as these;

So, what your saying is SG1 was based in reality? you think there are/were REAL star gates aliens/gods travel through? :unsure2:

Edited by Pax Unum

So, what your saying is SG1 was based in reality? you think there are/were REAL star gates aliens/gods travel through? :unsure2:

Well, those pictures show it all, don't they? That most of them come with texts explaining what they show could be ignored at this point...you know..let's just pull a Sitchin...

But then, with his belated demise the position of honorary Prezz of the Guild of Quacks got vacant, and I have the feeling somebody on this forum has put in his application.

This is a good example of why I argue with people on another forum about the negative influence of shows like “Ancient Aliens”.

One person said “There are many people out there with many ideas and ways of interpreting what they are seeing and have the right to believe what they choose to believe”

And my reply was:

“That is fine if you are talking and thinking about UFO phenomena or cryptids or ghosts or any other "unexplained" phenomena...it's not ok to tear down the "known" history of our ancestors to sell books to the ignorant and uneducated....casting aside the astounding historical achievements of our collective species to sell advertising....it's inexcusable”

The bottom line as to why I oppose this show and others like it are their blatant disregard to historical, factual and proven human accomplishment…they are intellectual cancer.

NO....It's not ok to cast reality to the wind and embrace a whim of fantasy...If you want to flirt with fantasy...watch Harry Potter or talk about bigfoot or talk about modern UFO's...but leave history alone. This show and the theories it propose are insidious in it's outward appearance of being harmless ... there are those… young and old alike that see this kinda crap and think it's factual...It's not OK to feed garbage into people's heads...remember an old saying...."garbage in...garbage out".

Jaffa kree!

Jaffa kree!

Teal%27c_COTG.jpg

INDEED... :lol:

Jaffa kree!

I miss that show. :(

This is a good example of why I argue with people on another forum about the negative influence of shows like Ancient Aliens.

One person said There are many people out there with many ideas and ways of interpreting what they are seeing and have the right to believe what they choose to believe

And my reply was:

That is fine if you are talking and thinking about UFO phenomena or cryptids or ghosts or any other "unexplained" phenomena...it's not ok to tear down the "known" history of our ancestors to sell books to the ignorant and uneducated....casting aside the astounding historical achievements of our collective species to sell advertising....it's inexcusable

The bottom line as to why I oppose this show and others like it are their blatant disregard to historical, factual and proven human accomplishment…they are intellectual cancer.

NO....It's not ok to cast reality to the wind and embrace a whim of fantasy...If you want to flirt with fantasy...watch Harry Potter or talk about bigfoot or talk about modern UFO's...but leave history alone. This show and the theories it propose are insidious in it's outward appearance of being harmless ... there are those… young and old alike that see this kinda crap and think it's factual...It's not OK to feed garbage into people's heads...remember an old saying...."garbage in...garbage out".

Great post.

We are being force-fed by people who think that creating a spectacular alternative form of ancient history will earn them the respect, admiration , and of course, some extra money they have always craved for.

Then... most people learned about ancient history in highschool (aside from those who studied it out of their own free will at the university), and regarding my own experience at highschool, but also by what I heard from many others, they were bored to death by what they HAD to learn there concerning the accepted view on history.

Now someone comes up with a new and 'improved' theory about how ancient history really was... and contradictory to what we HAD to learn in highschool, or better, contradictory to what we were bored off (ok, generalizing now).

If your mind is not set on trying to distinguish lies/fantasy from facts, then you will gobble up all these new theories like it was manna.

Of course you will add that official institutions are hiding the truth from us morons because we cannot handle the truth, and that it is all a great conspiracy.

Edited by Abramelin

It seems kind of rude to treat someone like they are crazy because they have different ideas or theories. I love paranormal websites because of posts like this. I don't neccesarily believe in this or many of the other theories I read on the internet, but i find that they provide a fresh perspective on something that might not be fully explained by orthodox history. Best case scenario, they might just prove to be informative, in the long run. Worst case scenario, they are entertaining ideas. I hope this post doesn't come across as negative, I just see people getting "attacked" a lot on this site because they propose a fantastic theory and I couldn't help but comment on it.

it doesnt differ too wildly from this?

http://blacktaj.homestead.com/files/documents/The_Sumerians_and_Gemini.pdf

only you are using different gatemen than those the Sumerians celebrated as gemini....in your pics you have Tammuz and Ningishizda ?

They guard the gates to heaven.

The sumerians liked gates, which also means they liked enclosed spaces....gardens, precincts etc.

they liked gates.....a lot. lots of gates on the way to the underworld.

gates separated areas of chaos (the wild) and those managed by men for men and the gods.

civilization from wilderness, in the Epic of Gilgamech we see the meeting of the two zones in the meeting of Gilgamech and Enkidu.

those gates you show are different from eachother, i think that sometimes you are mistaking leaves for wings and one gate is surrounded by water.

I think it would be wrong to say that they all represented the same thing.

Certainly nothing new regarding the Sumerians seeing Gemini as the gate to the Underworld, as the site i linked to explained, but what is new is suggesting a greater scenario involving Taurus as seen in the illustrations, and linking this to the intersection of the Milky Way and ecliptic plane.

They are all variations on a theme, but certainly the gate/ladder is winged, no leaves.

Here is text identifying the association of the Bull of Heaven with the Gate to the Underworld, note that as i suggested the configuration of Taurus below Gemini relates to the Western horizon.

Ishtar spoke to her father, Anu, saying:

"Father, give me the Bull of Heaven,

so he can kill Gilgamesh in his dwelling.

If you do not give me the Bull of Heaven,

I will knock down the Gates of the Netherworld,

I will smash the door posts, and leave the doors flat down,

and will let the dead go up to eat the living!

And the dead will outnumber the living!"

Anu addressed princess Ishtar, saying:

"If you demand the Bull of Heaven from me,

there will be seven years of empty husks for the land of Uruk.

Have you collected grain for the people!

Have you made grasses grow for the animals?"

Edited by Kantzveldt

Theres no suggestion of anything technology based, this is mythology, the gate is formed by the stars of Gemini, hence star gate...certainly Deities were considered to pass through this.

Well, those pictures show it all, don't they? That most of them come with texts explaining what they show could be ignored at this point...you know..let's just pull a Sitchin...

But then, with his belated demise the position of honorary Prezz of the Guild of Quacks got vacant, and I have the feeling somebody on this forum has put in his application.

So you are incapable of anything resembling an informed critique...what a surprise.

This is a good example of why I argue with people on another forum about the negative influence of shows like “Ancient Aliens”.

This isn't about ancient Aliens...

So you are incapable of anything resembling an informed critique...what a surprise.

Ah, so this is something that you have been accused of and now you thought you'll put it in here...quite out of context ... but you feel better. Great.

What informed critique if I might ask?

ED: note informed.

Edited by questionmark

Theres no suggestion of anything technology based, this is mythology, the gate is formed by the stars of Gemini, hence star gate...certainly Deities were considered to pass through this.

Higher plane creatures? Angels? Other dimensional being?

No you won't have a clue...

See kid, I have been around guys with an excessive fantasy, such as yours, for a long time. What I have not seen so far is somebody capable of taking some things out of context, misrepresented and present it to us as the "ultimate truth" without blushing.

But then again..we don't see you so maybe you do.

Now what did you call this image above?

post-57427-0-98416300-1306792195_thumb.j

And why did you think you needed to photoshop it? (putting them on imageshack does not help with those who know the originals)