Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

America's weirdest food addictions

Still Waters

Most people struggle to use a box of corn starch in a month, but one woman's bizarre addiction sees her eat up to 2lb of the thickening agent every day.

Nikki Myles who is profiled in the latest series of TLC's Freaky Eaters, loves corn starch so much, she eats it from the box with a spoon.

The 34-year-old, who consumes up to 3,300 calories a day, reveals in a clip from the show how the addiction first started when she was pregnant 16 years ago. Before long she was eating three boxes a day.

arrow3.gifRead more...

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• rashore

• mattryan209

• Still Waters

• torf

Freaky Eaters !? Wow. TLC, who was a respectable TV Network years ago, is now the freak show channel. :mellow:

I must admit, I like the smell of spray on starch.

Freaky Eaters !? Wow. TLC, who was a respectable TV Network years ago, is now the freak show channel. :mellow:

It's been like that for a while.

I enjoy the scent of burning marijuana myself.

Though I can understand not liking something texturally. I literally can not eat something like tapioca or rice pudding without gagging. lol

Edited by SilverCougar

I don't think I ever want to eat a mixture of cheese and potato again. :hmm:

TLC: The Lunatic Channel.

Makes for good T.V though, can't say anyone would enjoy TLC if they started a show about a normal person doing normal people things in a normal environment.

I enjoy the scent of burning marijuana myself.

Me 2... :st

Used to be worth watching, now it's gone from "learning" to "lost".

The food addiction people are very sad, hope they find help someday soon.

Like TLC the Discovery Channel has changed, I remember when it was about science not building choppers :(

I watched this episode the other night, it was rather interesting when you looked beyond the weird food addictions and saw the underlying mental issues.

I use to manage a convenience store in an area that was made up mostly of African american residents.I had 2 or 3 regular customers that I stocked boxes of corn starch for.One lady would go though 3 boxes a week, she would go by the drink counter on the way out & put a straw in the box.I always thought it was weird but she said she craved it.I figured to each his own.

Mmmmmmarijuana

Like TLC the Discovery Channel has changed, I remember when it was about science not building choppers :(

Very true. They got suck with the whole 'reality' business.

All I could think reading about the corn starch was thank heavens that thickener is temp activated, otherwise I can't imagine how a body could handle it.

And sort of a sad lol about the sugar addiction.. Most US folks have an addiction to sugar and/or caffeine to some extent by the time they reach adulthood. Between the two, caffeine is my addiction- Mom didn't allow sugar in the house when we were kids.

I can understand not liking some foods... But only liking one food just isn't healthy.

It's gross, but I'm not shocked. A lot of people have gotten way out of touch when it comes to food. Some of it has medical causations, but I think more of it comes from lack of education and mis-education.

I was watching Food Revolution the other night. Jamie was holding up flashcards of where food comes from to high school students. Most of the kids thought butter came from corn. Sausages grew on plants that looked like cattails. Didn't know what almonds were. Thought chocolate came from a literal chocolate lake. Guacamole comes from apples.

Watched a local news story about a duck that made it's nest among the plantings outside a fast food joint. One ladies comment was.. Yeah, the duck just made it's nest there and laid it's eggs. I guess that's where chickens come from.

Dear heavens. No wonder why people have messed up food habits. And if a person has a mental condition going on, those habits can be even more messed up than usual.

This girl has problems, she should go get some help or something.

Edited by emosonic

I agree with the comments about TLC changing. It used to be an informative learning channel. Now just this kind of crap. Exploitive...paying people so they're weakness/illnesses can be filmed for entertainment. Hoarders is another one of the shows I despise. I found my wife watching an episode on a woman who has eaten nothing but cheesey potatos for 20 years. If it wasn't so pathetic it would be hilarious!

I was watching Food Revolution the other night. Jamie was holding up flashcards of where food comes from to high school students. Most of the kids thought butter came from corn. Sausages grew on plants that looked like cattails. Didn't know what almonds were. Thought chocolate came from a literal chocolate lake. Guacamole comes from apples.

What the hell? You sure Food Revolution wasn't quizzing a Special Education High School?

What the hell? You sure Food Revolution wasn't quizzing a Special Education High School?

Nope, it's a regular school in the L.A. public school system. I'm finding the series pretty interesting. I would love to say I'm shocked by what goes on, but sadly I can't. I know most folks in the U.S. are ignorant about food.

I saw some american tv show about a lady who was terrified of balloons once. This remids me of that, for some reason.

Anyway, I feel bad for those people. It can't be easy for them to live like that. I once ate a whole jar of pickles all at once but I didn't suddenly decide to have another three jars! I think there's a line between craving food and having a mental health issue.

i have a hard time swallowing raw meats any kind.

Nope, it's a regular school in the L.A. public school system. I'm finding the series pretty interesting. I would love to say I'm shocked by what goes on, but sadly I can't. I know most folks in the U.S. are ignorant about food.

I guess kids education is getting worse and worse because people weren't that dumb when I went to school.I know they knew sausage came from an animal,I mean come on its meat for frickin sakes! Dairy from corn,and what, chocolate from a lake?!- incredulously hilarious-LOL I'm thinking they must have cherry-picked a school known for its horrific education standards,and generalized it as a typical American school.I can understand poor geography and history knowledge,but this is pretty darn insane.

I guess kids education is getting worse and worse because people weren't that dumb when I went to school.I know they knew sausage came from an animal,I mean come on its meat for frickin sakes! Dairy from corn,and what, chocolate from a lake?!- incredulously hilarious-LOL I'm thinking they must have cherry-picked a school known for its horrific education standards,and generalized it as a typical American school.I can understand poor geography and history knowledge,but this is pretty darn insane.

I don't know if it's cherry picked or not. But the way it's portrayed it's a pretty decent school otherwise. It just has pretty much zippo for food education specifically. And personally, I don't think they portray it as U.S. standard- but they do make it look like L.A. standard. I think that's sort of unfair, but then I think there should be no schools that lack food education like that either.

So, we got serious lack of food education going on.. Add into that mental distress of various sorts. And ya end up with crazy food addictions.

I have a Protein Deficancy, ever since I was young. I consume large amounts of sugar, ususally icecream, 4 litres a day.

but the thing is I am still healthy weight 6'2" 175lbs and still active and what knot.

just an addiction! I like rainbow icecream the best, I have 4 litre tups stacked together from 3 months i think theres like 100 of them. lol