Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Very interesting : interest rates

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1    UM-Bot

UM-Bot

News, media and articles

• 6,196 posts

• Beep Boop

Posted 10 June 2011 - 09:17 AM

<strong class='bbc'>Image credit: sxc.hu</strong>
Image credit: sxc.hu
Phillip Tilley: My good friend Joe is blind and has been for forty years yet he inspires me with his ability to see what many sighted people fail to.  He recently pointed out that his savings account only returns to him an interest rate of a quarter of one percent for the Bank to have use of his funds.  They loan funds to other people and charge interest on that to pay Joe his quarter percent and cover operating expenses and earn a profit as is the capitalistic way.

Posted Image View: Full Article

This is an official comment thread for a main site news story, article or video.
Please keep comments civil and on topic.
Thank you.

#2    williegreen

williegreen

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 10 June 2011 - 11:17 AM

While I agree that credit cards charge too high an interest, it isn't as simple as you have made it.  The big piece you are missing is the number of defaults and late payments that take that 9000% and substantially reduce it.  So in fact you should be blaming your fellow citizens who aren't paying, they are the main reason for such high interest rates.

#3    Oen Anderson

Oen Anderson

Extraterrestrial Entity

• PipPipPip
  • 407 posts

• We are all individuals and we are all special in our own unique way which really makes us quite ordinary!

Posted 11 June 2011 - 03:25 AM

View Postwilliegreen, on 10 June 2011 - 11:17 AM, said:

While I agree that credit cards charge too high an interest, it isn't as simple as you have made it.  The big piece you are missing is the number of defaults and late payments that take that 9000% and substantially reduce it.  So in fact you should be blaming your fellow citizens who aren't paying, they are the main reason for such high interest rates.
You don't have to be a genius to figure lower interest rates would lead to fewer defaults and late payments.  Blame the greedy bankers.

#4    George Ford

George Ford

Just pretend you didn't see anything

• Banned
  • 3,149 posts

• 'I live in the weak and the wounded... Doc'

Posted 11 June 2011 - 09:27 AM

View Postwilliegreen, on 10 June 2011 - 11:17 AM, said:

But it's the banks fault for bending over backwards to lend money to anyone regardless of whether they can pay it back or not.

About 20 years ago banks would be very wary with who they leant money to, and they made good money and interest rates on savings were above 9%... But now the bank will lend a 19yr old girl with no collateral over 10000 in credit cards at 27% interest rate when she only earns 12000 a year!!

She could not keep up the 600+ monthly payments (of which a substantial amount was interest and insurance she didn't want) and still afford to live so had to default. The banks can be utterly irresponsible, small minded, bonus focused idiots. The news over the last few years is rife with stories of banks having no common sense.

I'd also like to point out that a small handful of banks have been sensible and cautious with their lending.

“Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence” ~ Carl Sagan

#5    Torgo

Torgo

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,239 posts

• I aM tOrGo... I tAkE cArE oF tHe PlAcE wHiLe ThE mAsTeR iS aWaY...

Posted 13 June 2011 - 09:06 PM

There's a reason I never don't pay off my credit card within a month, and only keep a third of my money in a financial institution.

#6    Habitat

Habitat

Government Agent

• 4,180 posts

Posted 14 June 2011 - 07:59 AM

I suspect the average worker would be shocked to discover how much of the working week is occupied in earning to pay interest. Aside from personal debt, such as credit cards and mortgage etc, there is a lot of hidden interest charges built in to the price of goods and services, because those companies providing them typically have loan borrowings themselves. And governments with their bloated debt pay it off through inflated charges and taxes. Maybe some time Wednesday you start earning money for yourself.

#7    sher0828

sher0828

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 14 July 2012 - 06:46 AM

About the interest rates, I have read from an article that Interest rates are at record lows for most kinds of loans accessible in the United States, making it less expensive than
ever to borrow cash. But that is not true for all kinds of loans. A brand new report says that rates are increasing for charge cards once again.

#8    Super-Fly

Super-Fly

Caporegime.

• 1,301 posts

• The Loonies Are Running
    The Asylum!

Posted 14 July 2012 - 05:10 PM

Hope it changes.

Super-Fly!!3

TrueStory.

#9    Babe Ruth

Babe Ruth

Non-Corporeal Being

• Closed
  • 8,732 posts

Posted 15 July 2012 - 01:01 PM

As Paul Craig Roberts points out, this is connected to the manipulation of LIBOR, the current and legitimate scandal in the banking industry.

It no longer pays to save money, because the interestest paid is so low.

#10    lightly

lightly

metaphysical therapist

• 7,001 posts

• "The future ain't what it used to be"
    Yogi Berra

Posted 17 July 2012 - 12:27 PM

Banks used to pay a decent interest rate on accounts to encourage people to put money in their bank.. so they could loan it out at a HIGHER interest rate.     Direct deposit practices have eliminated the need for banks to offer encouraging interest rates.      Social Security Retirement  checks now get deposited directly .    That is a huge (federally mandated) gain for banks.
       CD's ( certificates of deposit )  were paying 7-8-9 %  in the 70's  ....   about 4-5 %  in the 90's ....   Now most earn  less than 1%.      I remember when savings accounts paid 3 to 5%   ... mine now pays   about 15 one hundredths of one percent!

Important:  The above may contain errors, inaccuracies, omissions, and other limitations.

#11    Super-Fly

Super-Fly

Caporegime.

• 1,301 posts

• The Loonies Are Running
    The Asylum!

Posted 17 July 2012 - 04:57 PM

I spend my queen heads when i get it.

No time for saving!

But like i said, i do hope it all changes.

Thanks,

Edited by Super-Fly, 17 July 2012 - 04:59 PM.

Super-Fly!!3

TrueStory.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users