Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Hallucinations from Lack of Sleep

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1    TheVeryFirstDinosaur

TheVeryFirstDinosaur

Paranormal Investigator

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 848 posts

• Local Community Wizard

Posted 19 June 2011 - 11:49 PM

Whenever I lack sleep for a week or so, like 2-4 hours a night...I get pretty vivid and eerie hallucinations. Here's some.

When camping, me and my friend were sitting in my truck, in a field, waiting on my other friend to arrive. I looked out toward the field, near the tree line, and saw a giant white figure. When I say giant...I mean...like humanoid Godzilla size. It was pure silvery white, no facial expression, and had long, lengthy arms. I saw it sway back and forth for like 5 seconds, then vanish.

-These are common: black scurrying things going across the floor, out the corner of my eye.

-One foggy night, I pressed my face against the window, and some type of goetic demon face formed right outside, glaring at me.

-Auditory stuff. Hearing my name, "voices in the walls", etc.

Now...prepare yourself...ambien hallucinations.

-My living room turned into an abyss. I was laying on the couch, and everything around me started going black. There was a large, vast shape of blackness in the corner of the room, with long black hands and tentacles reaching out, trying to touch me. I kept saying "Yog Sogoth." Look up the reference if needed.

-Stiff-jointed, 4 legged creatures were crawling around my computer desk. They were human in size. Long slender heads, with sort of...snout/trunk mouths. If I stared at them for long periods of time, they would turn and glare at me. Sort of looked like the creatures from the video for "Comfortably Numb"...

-Giant bulbous creatures swaying back and forth, leaning over me.

-Vision turned into nothing but dark, purple crystals. Could move crystals out of my vision with my hands.

-Weird creatures would crawl up to me on the couch. Also hallucinated people on the couch. Tried to touch them.

#2    Leah G.

Leah G.

Poltergeist

• 2,966 posts

Posted 20 June 2011 - 12:01 AM

Have you tried meditation, soothing music and a dark room? No caffeine, no chocolate, no celery, do you have food allergies? Good grief!!!! You need some quality sleep!!!

#3    Sakari

Sakari

tohi

• 12,154 posts
  • Location:Safford, Arizona...My heart and soul are still on the Oregon Coast.

• Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Posted 20 June 2011 - 12:13 AM

If I did not need my sleep so much, I would stay awake just to have those....

I have heard many of them, my Dad has told me a lot from when he was in the service..

Our minds are wonderful things !

Our Wolf's Memorial Page

http://petsupports.com/a04/sakari.htm

#4    TheVeryFirstDinosaur

TheVeryFirstDinosaur

Paranormal Investigator

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 848 posts

• Local Community Wizard

Posted 20 June 2011 - 03:29 AM

Sleep is a drug that makes us believe the life we live.  Stop taking that drug...and you see what happens.

#5    Sakari

Sakari

tohi

• 12,154 posts
  • Location:Safford, Arizona...My heart and soul are still on the Oregon Coast.

• Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Posted 20 June 2011 - 03:39 AM

View PostShrine Builder, on 20 June 2011 - 03:29 AM, said:

Sleep is a drug that makes us believe the life we live.  Stop taking that drug...and you see what happens.

Sorry, I need my job, health, and family time :)

Our Wolf's Memorial Page

http://petsupports.com/a04/sakari.htm

#6    Ozner

Ozner

Paranormal Investigator

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 839 posts

Posted 20 June 2011 - 04:08 AM

Sometimes just staying up late can create minor hallucinations. Sometimes I can clearly hear someone snoring when there's no one else there.

Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain.

#7    a vampire wears my boxers

a vampire wears my boxers

Extraterrestrial Entity

• PipPipPip
  • 460 posts

• like empty prayers from a disentigrating throat

Posted 20 June 2011 - 04:41 AM

ambien is notorious for causing hallucinations when you fight going to sleep. i have had a hallucination from staying up for 3 consecutive days.(it wasnt from ambien) i saw the General Lee sink into a river in my bathroom wall paper. its amazing what things your mind can come up with when exhausted.

Edited by a vampire wears my boxers, 20 June 2011 - 04:42 AM.

it looks like the upper hand, is on the other foot.

i guess they would say we could set this world ablaze

i have never tried to succeed at anything, therefore i have never failed.

#8    White Crane Feather

White Crane Feather

Forum Divinity

• 11,070 posts

• Potter: " is this real or is this in my mind?"

Dumbledore: " Of course it's in your mind....., but that dosn't mean it's not real."

Posted 20 June 2011 - 04:58 AM

Native Americans have used sleep deprivation as a means of vision questing. When in a contemplative. Calm relaxed meditative, and psychologically sound state. Deprivation can lead to increadible insights and revelations. But it's mildly dangerouse and should never be attempted without supervision. ( for the mods ;))  your doctor would say it should never be attempted.

My altered state practice and meditation tightens up my lucidity  during vision questing ( sleep deprivation plus fasting while alone in the wilderness)  ( about once a year or if needed)  has lead to some increadible experiences and revelations.

I am so incredibly thankful for my ancestors for discovering these processes to pass them down.

"I wish neither to possess, Nor to be possessed. I no longer covet paradise, more important, I no longer fear hell. The medicine for my suffering I had within me from the very beginning, but I did not take it. My ailment came from within myself, But I did not observe it until this moment. Now I see that I will never find the light.  Unless, like the candle, I am my own fuel, Consuming myself. "
Bruce Lee-

#9    Cybele

Cybele

Married to the Void

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,432 posts

• Prick your finger it is done
    The moon has now eclipsed the sun
    The angel has spread its wings
    The time has come for bitter things

Posted 20 June 2011 - 05:04 AM

Does anyone know how long one has to be sleep deprived to experience hallucinations?

My sig: "Cryptorchid", Marilyn Manson

#10    kitco

kitco

Psychic Spy

• 1,163 posts

• " WE COME IN"
    │▒│ /▒/
    │▒│/▒/
    │▒ /▒/─┬─┐
    │▒│▒|▒│▒│
    ┌┴─┴─┐-┘─┘
    ...│▒┌──┘▒▒▒│
    └┐▒▒▒▒▒▒┌┘
    └┐▒▒▒▒┌

Posted 20 June 2011 - 04:42 PM

When I was sleep deprived, I tried to lay down, but on the Ceiling were these Big Spiders, like a foot, and they had silk comming down to me, and they would slide down the silk and I would freak out, this happened untill I was like yeah I am not going to sleep right now, I think I slept finally that night..... damn all nighter's!

Edited by kitco, 20 June 2011 - 04:43 PM.

A LIFE OF MYSTERIE IS BETTER THEN SIMPLICITY. - kitco

#11    kitco

kitco

Psychic Spy

• 1,163 posts

• " WE COME IN"
    │▒│ /▒/
    │▒│/▒/
    │▒ /▒/─┬─┐
    │▒│▒|▒│▒│
    ┌┴─┴─┐-┘─┘
    ...│▒┌──┘▒▒▒│
    └┐▒▒▒▒▒▒┌┘
    └┐▒▒▒▒┌

Posted 20 June 2011 - 04:45 PM

View PostSeeker79, on 20 June 2011 - 04:58 AM, said:

Native Americans have used sleep deprivation as a means of vision questing. When in a contemplative. Calm relaxed meditative, and psychologically sound state. Deprivation can lead to increadible insights and revelations. But it's mildly dangerouse and should never be attempted without supervision. ( for the mods ;))  your doctor would say it should never be attempted.

My altered state practice and meditation tightens up my lucidity  during vision questing ( sleep deprivation plus fasting while alone in the wilderness)  ( about once a year or if needed)  has lead to some increadible experiences and revelations.

I am so incredibly thankful for my ancestors for discovering these processes to pass them down.

I Enjoy the same, I am Metis, Cree and I Enjoy Spiritual Journey's, I think I need to go on one, my Spirit Creature is the Black Bear! and Ravens always like checking on me too!

A LIFE OF MYSTERIE IS BETTER THEN SIMPLICITY. - kitco

#12    Spark Plug

Spark Plug

Apparition

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 326 posts

Posted 21 June 2011 - 07:09 PM

View PostCybele, on 20 June 2011 - 05:04 AM, said:

Does anyone know how long one has to be sleep deprived to experience hallucinations?

I can do it after a single sleepness nite and plenty of coffee.

I tend to get the spiders first which I can see out the corner of my eyes crawling around. The longer I go without sleep the more obvious the hallucinations come until I am seeing characters and visual effects with stuff. Never gone more than 2 sleepness nights so I dont know what happens after that.

#13    PowerPC

PowerPC

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 41 posts

Posted 22 June 2011 - 01:42 AM

I have episodes of lack of sleep all the time. I might sleep well for a month or so and then go into a period of no sleep for several days or a week or more. After a few days of poor sleep or no sleep I begin seeing things particularly out of the corners of my eyes to start. I begin to hear people talking and have also heard people calling my name. As time without quality sleep continues I begin seeing shadows passing by doors. I have a small dog and I can swear I see her walk around the couch and she is in the other room sleeping in her bed. Lack of sleep can cause all kinds of mental and visual hallucinations. I should mention that I have suffered from Sleep Paralysis for most of my adult life. This is completely different from the lack of sleep episodes and usually occur when I am in a good sleep pattern. The experiences in Sleep Paralysis seem much more realistic. YOu would swear that someone is in the room and that you are in imminent danger. I also have strange creatures acost me during these episodes of SP but it is all a trick of the mind. I have also had out of body experiences with the Sleep Paralysis which is just a total trip. Sleep is a very important part of my life and would give anything to get my sleep patterns on a consistant schedule. Sleep is imperative to your mental and physical help.

#14    Ashotep

Ashotep

Telekinetic

• 7,401 posts

• Courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway-John Wayne

Posted 22 June 2011 - 10:34 PM

For several weeks I wasn't sleeping more than 3 or 4 hours a night but I never had any hallucinations.  The only time I've had hallucinations was when I consumed a little too much of the spirits and saw a giant alligator cross the road in front of me. :innocent:

#15    Talia5

Talia5

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 29 September 2013 - 03:56 AM

It's nice to know I'm not alone, i have to take adderalI to stay focused in school, but ive been on it for the last 3 years so naturally i have so much trouble falling asleep and staying. Asleep so I end up going 3-4 days without sleeping. It is NOT fun! The hallucinations alone drive me literally crazy. The first time I hallucinated there were bugs jumping out of my bed on me and I could feel them biting me, I started screaming and my boyfriend thought I was crazy. The next night I sat on my porch, again with my boyfriend, we were both staring in the direction my car was parked, I saw 5 people breaking into my car, because of his lack of reaction I knew I was hallucinating. I saw leaves hopping like frogs.  I always feel bugs crawling on me, Crawling in my food, don't know if it's because I hate bugs. I watched two giant centipedes crawl toward me from the edge of my bed. I was in the bathroom on the toilet and watched the handle knob turn and the door open, I was the only one home. again all hallucinations and I will see random shapes and objects appear in the air floating. I realized early on if I ignore the hallucinations as much as possible they are not as bad. I'm in law school so I need the adderall to help me focus but the lack of sleep is killing me.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users