Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

The Potential of the Human Brain

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#1    Tommy

Tommy

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,846 posts

Posted 19 July 2001 - 04:00 PM

Sorry if this thread seems a little general as it touches on posts from previous threads, but here it goes....
    It is generally accepted that we use only a fraction of our total brain potential. The exact figure varies depending on the method used to calculate it, but I beleive it to be about 10%. Can you imagine the abilities Humans would have if we could harness the full potential of our brains?? :D
...telepathy.....telekenesis.....psychokenesis.....

"Superstition created all the gods and angels, all the devils and ghosts, all the witches, demons and goblins, gave us all the augurs, soothsayers and prophets, filled the heavens with signs and wonders, broke the chain of cause and effect, and wrote the history of man in miracles and lies" ~ Robert Green Ingersoll

#2    Magikman

Magikman

Most Exalted member of the first 15

• 6,280 posts

• "Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum viditur"

Posted 19 July 2001 - 04:48 PM

Tommy,

Actually that is a myth. There was an article in a recent FORTEAN TIMES that addressed this issue. Here's a brief synopsis;

"Brain imaging research techniques such as PET scans (positron emission tomography) and fMRI (functional magnetic resonance imaging) clearly show that the vast majority of the brain does not lie fallow. Indeed, although certain minor functions may use only a small part of the brain at one time, any sufficiently complex set of activities or thought patterns will indeed use many parts of the brain. Just as people don't use all of their muscle groups at one time, they also don't use all of their brain at once. For any given activity, such as eating, watching television, or making love, you may use a few specific parts of your brain. Over the course of a whole day, however, just about all of the brain is used at one time or another."

MAGIKMAN

* - Needed this post to stay ahead of Gareth. Lord knows, I don't want to lose my status as the 'discussion board nazi'. :P By the way, how are you doing Gareth? Was starting to wonder if you might have been abducted by those pesky Annunaki.  :D

Opps - Us Nazi's don't have very good manners either. >:( I meant to welcome you to the forum Tommy.  :D

Skeptical scrutiny is the means, in both science and religion, by which deep insights can be winnowed from deep nonsense. ~ Carl Sagan

"...man has an irrepressible tendency to read meaning into the buzzing confusion of sights and sounds impinging on his senses; and where no agreed meaning can be found, he will provide it out of his own imagination." ~ Arthur Koestler

#3    Saru

Saru

Site Webmaster

• 20,840 posts

• "The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious." - Albert Einstein

Posted 19 July 2001 - 05:50 PM

Magikman,

I'm doing very well thanks - been pretty busy as of late but I've had time to visit the forum every day and do some much needed moderating ;D

It's amazing why some people need to feel it necessary to discuss their bowel problems in the forum, perhaps the person in question will give up after having their post deleted - again.

Anyway, with a lot more time on my hands now, I will be posting a lot more regularly again.

( If the Annunaki let me out of my cell that is )

;)

#4    Tommy

Tommy

Psychic Spy

• 1,846 posts

Posted 19 July 2001 - 09:45 PM

Thanks for the reply Magikman...I stand corrected ::)
    If we do indeed use most if not all of our brain, then how can we begin to explain the 'special abilities' or 6th sense that certain individuals have. Perhaps they are able to 'exercise' parts of their brain that we do not commonly use, like tap into their subconscious, which we know little about. A difference in emphasis rather than substance...who knows.
Anyway, i'm off to Scotland for two weeks. I'll catch up then.  8)

ps- link backing your myth theory (or fact)-http://faculty.washington.edu/chudler/tenper.html

"Superstition created all the gods and angels, all the devils and ghosts, all the witches, demons and goblins, gave us all the augurs, soothsayers and prophets, filled the heavens with signs and wonders, broke the chain of cause and effect, and wrote the history of man in miracles and lies" ~ Robert Green Ingersoll

#5    Magikman

Magikman

• 6,280 posts

Posted 20 July 2001 - 03:23 AM

Tommy,

Have fun in Scotland. You should try to look up Gareth around Loch Ness and see if you can free him from the evil clutches of the Annunaki. :D

The fact addresses the myth of brain usage only. It doesn't delve into what is actually known about the brain, and rightfully so. There is still much to learn, even with modern day mapping techniques. There have been great inroads into diseases like Parkinson's and Alzheimer's, but it barely scratches the surface.

Is it possible that the brain is responsible for the origin of a 'sixth' sense? Consider the unexplainable occurrences of the 'idiot savant' syndrome displayed by those deemed extremely mentally retarded. There is still much uncertainty regarding causation for this ability.(autistic children are in the majority)  It defies all medical reasoning. Mathematical, musical, and artistic genius is displayed even though there is no discernible activity in the area of the brain that supposedly is responsible for this capability. (It's interesting to note that 'child prodigies' lose their talents as they age while idiot savants maintain their ability. Males hold a 6:1 ratio over females in this disorder.) Does the brain somehow compensate for mental incapacity, and if so why not universally? Some others suffer incredible head trauma and recover with minor side effects, baffling the doctors who examine them. It would not be surprising to find that there are some higher functions of the brain still to be discovered. The degree of probability concerning 'extrasensory' perceptions of the mind is a daunting one.  :-/

MAGIKMAN

Skeptical scrutiny is the means, in both science and religion, by which deep insights can be winnowed from deep nonsense. ~ Carl Sagan

"...man has an irrepressible tendency to read meaning into the buzzing confusion of sights and sounds impinging on his senses; and where no agreed meaning can be found, he will provide it out of his own imagination." ~ Arthur Koestler

#6    SpaceyKC

SpaceyKC

Government Agent

• 3,349 posts

• Thank you TO

Posted 20 July 2001 - 06:01 AM

I don't know if this fits in with this thread, or how I found this site, but I think it is interesting.  
    www.probablefuture.com
     I would like to see what everyone else thinks of it!

NORA

"Science may have found a cure for most evils;  but it has
         found no remedy for the worst of them all --- the apathy of human beings."
                                                     Helen Keller

#7    Magikman

Magikman

• 6,280 posts

Posted 20 July 2001 - 07:18 AM

Nora,

Everybody already knows where I stand regarding 'remote viewing' (thanks Lori) ;D, but I thought you might find this somewhat interesting;

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/stargate/message/5416

MAGIKMAN

#8    Dowdy

Dowdy

Poltergeist

• 2,186 posts

• "The one thing we have learnt from history is that we learn nothing from history." Albert Einstein

Posted 20 July 2001 - 12:19 PM

Magikman is right. it's only a myth, that's why if a part of your brain gets damaged you can end up having a disability 'cause of brain damage. But here's a fact that i bet most of you didn't know - 80% of the brain is water! :o

THE PAOMNNEHAL PWEOR OF THE HMUAN MNID Aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoatnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer be in the rghit pclae. The rset can be a taotl mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe. Amzanig huh? I cdnuolt blveiee taht I cluod aulaclty uesdnatnrd waht I was rdgnieg. Can you? ;)

#9    SpaceyKC

SpaceyKC

Government Agent

• 3,349 posts

• Thank you TO

Posted 20 July 2001 - 04:45 PM

Can you imagine the dilemma if, after an injury your brain was still functional, but the only thing that remained(of intelligence) was the part where you remembered all the commercial jingles of your entire tv watching life?! :o
(your friends could rent you out for parties)

NORA

"Science may have found a cure for most evils;  but it has
         found no remedy for the worst of them all --- the apathy of human beings."
                                                     Helen Keller

#10    Tommy

Tommy

Psychic Spy

• 1,846 posts

Posted 05 August 2001 - 03:37 AM

Scotland- An aesthetically beautiful place, however the heat wave in the south of Britain did not reach as north as the Isle of Skye. :'( Oh well... a memorable experience all the same.
On the paranormal side of things, however, not much to report. I could mention the amazing disappearing island opposite the cottage we stayed at :D (could have been due to the gradual deterioration of the weather resulting in about a 0 visibility)...   or the neck of Nessie perking out of her home Loch seen a clear 250m away from the A8 which runs along side the famous Loch. (or was that the mast of a small dark boat)who knows??? Talking of Loch Ness, the place was thriving with foreign tourists eager for a glimpse of you know who.
  WOW gone for 2 weeks and 9 newbies join :o

#11    Guest_Guest_*

Guest_Guest_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 August 2001 - 09:12 PM

why does it matter how much of our brain we use???? i mean, what exactly would it accomplish to know - especially when scientist are in such broad disagreement.

#12    Dowdy

Dowdy

Poltergeist

• 2,186 posts

• "The one thing we have learnt from history is that we learn nothing from history." Albert Einstein

Posted 26 August 2001 - 11:28 AM

We know now know that we use all of our brain but how about people who don't have brains!?!?

Andrew Vandal was born in Virginia, USA, in 1984 without a brain! He had a rare condition known as Hydrancephaly, which left his skull full of nothing except fluid. Doctors who attended the birth were convinced he would die, but he didn't. Andrew survived to be adopted by a nurse from Connecticut who describes him as a "glowing, outgoing, bubbly personality". Mrs Vandal has two other children with the same condition. One of them, a girl, was still going strong at the age of twelve without a brain.
In 1982, ITV broadcast a programme which included the case history of a boy named Stephen who managed five 'O' levels without a brain. (If you held a light behind his head, it glowed an empty pink) Later, however, Stephen managed to regrow the missing organ, a medical mystery just as deep as how he got along for so long without it.

THE PAOMNNEHAL PWEOR OF THE HMUAN MNID Aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoatnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer be in the rghit pclae. The rset can be a taotl mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe. Amzanig huh? I cdnuolt blveiee taht I cluod aulaclty uesdnatnrd waht I was rdgnieg. Can you? ;)

#13    Tommy

Tommy

Psychic Spy

• 1,846 posts

Posted 27 August 2001 - 05:11 PM

Must I be the first to ask how?? ??? ??? :-/

#14    Jamie

Jamie

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 131 posts

Posted 27 August 2001 - 09:01 PM

Im with you Tommy.  How could a person live without a brain???  It sounds impossible.

#15    Homer

Homer

Government Agent

• 3,814 posts

Posted 27 August 2001 - 09:18 PM

I'm not so sure, since I have been accused of being brainless many times ;D

אַ֭תָּה אֱלֹהֵ֣י יִשְׁעִ֑י

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users