Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

The Potential of the Human Brain

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#16    SpaceyKC

SpaceyKC

Government Agent

• 3,349 posts

• Thank you TO

Posted 27 August 2001 - 11:02 PM

I've heard 'brain-dead' bantered around me quite frequently..I don't know why?

Kudos to Jamie for the floating name in your last post that MY eyes could pick up!!

NORA

"Science may have found a cure for most evils;  but it has
         found no remedy for the worst of them all --- the apathy of human beings."
                                                     Helen Keller

#17    Magikman

Magikman

Most Exalted member of the first 15

• 6,280 posts

• "Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum viditur"

Posted 27 August 2001 - 11:21 PM

Nora,

Wow, thanks. I thought my monitor was haunted! :o
I was just getting ready to crack open a bottle of 'Old Crow'.  :D

MAGIKMAN

Skeptical scrutiny is the means, in both science and religion, by which deep insights can be winnowed from deep nonsense. ~ Carl Sagan

"...man has an irrepressible tendency to read meaning into the buzzing confusion of sights and sounds impinging on his senses; and where no agreed meaning can be found, he will provide it out of his own imagination." ~ Arthur Koestler

#18    Magikman

Magikman

• 6,280 posts

Posted 28 August 2001 - 08:45 PM

Tommy,

You ask a very good question. The answer is simple. The story as stated by Dowdy is based on false, misleading or misinterpreted information. Information again provided by some TV program interested only in sensationalism. I am referring specifically to the case he mentions about someone named 'Stephen' regrowing his brain. Try a search of the internet, you would think you would find literally thousands of 'hits' documenting this incredible 'miracle'. I didn't find a thing. I am somewhat interested in this 'light' myself and its incredible capability to display an 'empty pink space' when placed at the back of someone’s head. Didn't this unfortunate soul have a skull? Have you ever witnessed a 'light' show through a layer of bone, much less the 'back' and 'front' of a persons head? Sounds pretty absurd to me.  :-/

Here is a link to the web site maintained by the Hydrocephalus Association. It will give you all the information you would like to know about the medical condition;

http://www.hydroassoc.org/

They provide a link to another site that has loads more information;

http://patientcenters.com/hydrocephalus

You will notice that there are many different 'forms' and severity’s of the condition. Its remotely possible that the program Dowdy mentions either failed to correctly identify which form of hydrocephalus this 'Stephen' suffered from, or deliberately left out specific details to exaggerate 'the truth'. There is also the possibility of misdiagnosis by a doctor unfamiliar with the different 'conditions', this would not be surprising. Either way, the 'fact' of the brain 'regrowing' is ludicrous and absurd. It can't happen. Its interesting to note that this web site makes no mention of this 'miracle' person either. It appears to be just another 'myth' perpetrated on a gullible public in an attempt to appease the ratings gods.

MAGIKMAN

Skeptical scrutiny is the means, in both science and religion, by which deep insights can be winnowed from deep nonsense. ~ Carl Sagan

"...man has an irrepressible tendency to read meaning into the buzzing confusion of sights and sounds impinging on his senses; and where no agreed meaning can be found, he will provide it out of his own imagination." ~ Arthur Koestler

#19    Tommy

Tommy

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,846 posts

Posted 28 August 2001 - 09:40 PM

Thanks for the links Magikman, an interesting read. It's horrible to think that you can acquire hydrocephalus later in life, and the odds of 1 out of 1,000 babies born with it sound unfortuately high aswell.

"Superstition created all the gods and angels, all the devils and ghosts, all the witches, demons and goblins, gave us all the augurs, soothsayers and prophets, filled the heavens with signs and wonders, broke the chain of cause and effect, and wrote the history of man in miracles and lies" ~ Robert Green Ingersoll

#20    Dowdy

Dowdy

Poltergeist

• 2,186 posts

• "The one thing we have learnt from history is that we learn nothing from history." Albert Einstein

Posted 29 August 2001 - 04:21 AM

Juat because you can't find something on the internet doesn't maen it's not true. i got this information out of a book and for me, a book is alot more reliable than the internet for looking for facts. The book probably exaggerated about the light but i believe that he regrew the organ. there have been several cases in which a child has lost their finger and it has regrown back.

THE PAOMNNEHAL PWEOR OF THE HMUAN MNID Aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoatnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer be in the rghit pclae. The rset can be a taotl mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe. Amzanig huh? I cdnuolt blveiee taht I cluod aulaclty uesdnatnrd waht I was rdgnieg. Can you? ;)

#21    Magikman

Magikman

• 6,280 posts

Posted 29 August 2001 - 06:01 AM

Dowdy,

???

"In 1982, ITV broadcast a programme which included the case history of a boy named Stephen who managed five 'O' levels without a brain. (If you held a light behind his head, it glowed an empty pink) Later, however, Stephen managed to regrow the missing organ, a medical mystery just as deep as how he got along for so long without it."

Hmmmm...... Now you got your information from a book? Someone certainly seems confused. Which is it? What's the title of this book? Its still my contention that for something so unbelievably 'miraculous', you would still find mention of it somewhere on the Internet. Probably put there by someone who read the same book you did. In fact, I doubt if you could give me an example of anything this extraordinary that's happened in the last 20 years that isn't noted in some way on the Internet. People sure find the time to list loads of garbage on it. Why not this?

So a book is far more reliable when looking for facts, hey? The Bible is a book and is jammed full of 'facts'. Why don't you believe in the Bible? Or is it your determination that makes the facts reliable? We read about amazing 'discoveries' every day from all different sources, even books. Countless times those discoveries are reprinted word for word in other publications. Why is this 'book' you read the only source? Maybe because there is no book, or the claim is so universally ridiculed, no one dare expose their stupidity by reprinting it, which is hard to believe when you consider the crazy stuff you can find on the Internet. They probably came to their decision by actually doing a little 'research' to find supporting data or credible sources. It wouldn't have taken them very long to find there isn't any. The story is a lot of bull, as is the idea the human body is capable of 're-growing' a brain, no matter how helpful that would be to some people.

MAGIKMAN

#22    Dowdy

Dowdy

Poltergeist

• 2,186 posts

• "The one thing we have learnt from history is that we learn nothing from history." Albert Einstein

Posted 29 August 2001 - 10:01 AM

the WHOLE post that was about the people with no brains came from the book. the book told about the show. i copied it out. the book is called 'seriously weird true stories' by Herbie Brennan. regrowing a brain is just as impossible as having no brain at all but i just proved that you can have no brain. nothing is impossible and if it seems physically impossible there's USUALLY is a way, like this case.

now do you want me to scan in the front cover of the book and the story to prove that there is such a book and i got the info from there?

Here are a few 'impossible' stories (also from the book) just to prove the impossible can happen:

1. In 1939, a black couple, Mr and Mrs Herbrett Strong from North Carolina, USA, gave birth to twins, a boy and a girl. The girl was black like her parents, but the boy was white.

2. Horror writer Stephen King once published a book called FIRESTARTER about a child who could set things alight by concentrating on the. Before the age of ten, an Italian schoolboy, Benedetto Supino, discovered he could do it for real. In 1982, he was reading a comic in a dentist's waiting room when it burst into flames. From that point on, just about everything he touched was scorched - and even thing he only looked at catched fire. The talent had its drawbacks. One morning he woke to find his bedcloths on fire and was himself quite badly burned. Doctors who examined him at the Tivoli Social Medical Centre pronounced him "perfectly normal".

See, the 'impossible' can happen.

THE PAOMNNEHAL PWEOR OF THE HMUAN MNID Aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoatnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer be in the rghit pclae. The rset can be a taotl mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe. Amzanig huh? I cdnuolt blveiee taht I cluod aulaclty uesdnatnrd waht I was rdgnieg. Can you? ;)

#23    Magikman

Magikman

• 6,280 posts

Posted 29 August 2001 - 07:44 PM

Dowdy,

No, you needn’t bother, I’ll do it for you;

http://homepage.tinet.ie/~herbie/teen.html

You’ve provided all the information I require. For some strange reason I still remain unconvinced, but then, that’s just me. ::)

MAGIKMAN

#24    reese92

reese92

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 246 posts

Posted 30 August 2001 - 04:54 PM

Now I have seen a young black boy that actually had a hole in his head.  He was on a talk show, about 2 years ago.  Maury Povich, I believe.  He was born with an open hole in his head, that failed to grow.  His brain was there, however.  His head was covered in skin though.
 There have also been rare cases of people being born without a nose, they had breathing holes, but the bridge of their noses, did not exist.
 There are strange births all the time, but generally they would be listed somewhere for someone to research.
If I am correct, and I am not a doctor.  I would think that to live even for a week without a brain, would be an impossibilty.  I say this, because if I remember correctly, it is the brain that actually tells your other organs to work correctly.  It tells the blood to move through your veins.  It tells your heart to pump, your lungs to absorb oxygen.  It even tells you when to hurt.  Don't quote me on it though, as I never was a big Biology buff.

Reese  :-*

#25    Mr-X

Mr-X

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 582 posts

Posted 30 August 2001 - 05:08 PM

Reese92,

you are right, the system of the body you are refering to is the C.N.S (Central Nervous System). It pretty much controls everything in our body from movement to our senses.

X :)

Oh, you should never doubt what no one is sure about.
- Willy Wonka

#26    reese92

reese92

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 246 posts

Posted 30 August 2001 - 05:23 PM

:D  WOW!!  I think I have just impressed myself.  ;)

Reese  :-*

#27    SpaceyKC

SpaceyKC

Government Agent

• 3,349 posts

• Thank you TO

Posted 03 September 2001 - 06:36 AM

Magikman,
   That was an impressive moniker you left back there on that post-great for Halloween!! Hope you enjoyed your 'Crow' anyway!! Sorry, I've been out of the loop since last Monday, but pertaining to this topic:I heard a story of a woman in England who was born with half a brain, but still learned to do all the basic things, like walk and talk-with a fairly decent array of words. It seemed incredible since your brain is divided,one side controls some things,like speech,and the other side, things like memory(which might be my weak spot!)

NORA

"Science may have found a cure for most evils;  but it has
         found no remedy for the worst of them all --- the apathy of human beings."
                                                     Helen Keller

#28    Saru

Saru

Site Webmaster

• 20,014 posts

• "The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious." - Albert Einstein

Posted 03 September 2001 - 12:30 PM

It is said by some that the brain is only an interface between the physical body, and the soul of an individual. Although it sounds ludicrous that anyone could survive without a brain, perhaps its still possible to "inhabit" a body without the "interface" being present.

#29    dalia

dalia

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 365 posts

• Purrrrr-fect Mystery

Posted 07 September 2001 - 01:48 AM

The only thing I have read about babies being born without brains and surviving did stipulate that they were born with the brain stem...which controls autonomic functions, such as heartbeat, breathing, and gastrointestinal functions.
I cannot see where a child like this would have any kind of personality.
I do wonder, though, if there is still a soul somewhere in there.
Dalia

Purrr-fectly happy

#30    odinsupreme

odinsupreme

Odin

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,097 posts

• Yes.

Posted 09 September 2001 - 08:09 PM

Dowdy,

You wrote that a black couple got twins, a black girl and a white boy, well, the boy was an Albino. There are even tribes Africa were they worship such people, it is unusual but not strange. :)

And living without a Brain, IMPOSSIBLE! Maybe without some pieces you can survive, but without it...

Odin Supreme 8)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users