Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Discovered - Mysterious Disc on Baltic Seabed

• Please log in to reply
294 replies to this topic

#211    EllJay

EllJay

Poltergeist

• 2,666 posts

• Today We Are Creating Tomorrow's Yesterday

Posted 15 June 2012 - 03:09 PM

PRESS RELEASE

NEWS RELEASE
15/6/2012, PRESS RELEASE
THE TREASURE HUNTERS, OCEAN X TEAM, DISCOVERED SOMETHING UNIQUE WHEN THEY DOVE DOWN TO THE MYSTERIOUS CIRCLE-SHAPED OBJECT IN THE BALTIC SEA

Treasure hunters confirm they have found something abnormal in the seabed
STOCKHOLM, Sweden, June 15, 2012
The Ocean X Team dove down to the circle-shaped object in the Baltic Sea and met something they never experienced before. First they thought it was just stone or a rock cliff, but after further observations the object appeared more as a huge mushroom, rising 3-4 meters/10-13 feet from the seabed, with rounded sides and rugged edges. The object had an egg shaped hole leading into it from the top, as an opening. On top of the object they also found strange stone circle formations, almost looking like small fireplaces. The stones were covered in something resembling soot.
“During my 20-year diving career, including 6000 dives, I have never seen anything like this. Normally stones don’t burn. I can’t explain what we saw, and I went down there to answer questions, but I came up with even more questions “, says Stefan Hogeborn, one of the divers at Ocean X Team.
The path to the object itself can be described as a runway or a downhill path that is flattened at the seabed with the object at the end of it.
“First we thought this was only stone, but this is something else. And since no volcanic activity has ever been reported in the Baltic Sea the find becomes even stranger. As laymen we can only speculate how this is made by nature, but this is the strangest thing I have ever experienced as a professional diver“, continues Peter Lindberg, one of the founder Ocean X Team.
Right now, scientists are examining samples from the circle-shaped object, and experts in sonar imaging are processing data from the ship to hopefully shed more light over the mysterious object.
http://www.oceanexplorer.se/

I dont know how long ago, or if ever, this part of the seabed was dry land. Maybe this is some old burial-ground of some sort, or a sacred ritual spot. Maybe someone here knows about sea-levels, or rise of land mass,  and how much it has risen.

"Opinions are like a**holes, everyone seems to have one" - Dirty Harry

"All those who believe in psychokinesis, raise my hand... "

"I have a black belt in Feng Shui, the subtle martial art. I go home to you and move a lamp and a chair... twelve years later you lay there on the floor with broken kneecaps and destitute."

#212    EllJay

EllJay

Poltergeist

• 2,666 posts

• Today We Are Creating Tomorrow's Yesterday

Posted 15 June 2012 - 03:18 PM

Here is a newarticle, translated with Goolge Translate, (meaning WYSIWYG)

The circle on the bottom of the Baltic became a world first when it was discovered a year ago - now thickens the mystery.
Express can now publish exclusive pictures from the first dive at the item - at 85 meters depth.
- We were there to find answers, but only got even more issues, says Stefan Hogeborn, 47, one of the divers from Ocean X Team, which investigated the circle on the bottom of the Baltic.

On June 11 last year went nine professional divers on the Baltic Sea to locate shipwrecks.  The divers ran in zigzag back and forth over a large area to search for a number of specific wrecks - when a large, round formation showed up on their scanner screen.  They examined the object closely and what they found puzzled the whole world.
Some of Sweden's leading researchers in marine archeology saw the first pictures from the circle that was taken with the so-called sonar, a scanner tool, but no one could answer what the pictures depicted.
Raises more questions

The mysterious discovery spread in the media worldwide, such as CNN reported on the Baltic Sea Mystery.  So far no pictures from diving in the circle published.
Now Express - the first newspaper - publish the first pictures from the dive at the mysterious object.  A dive that was supposed to provide answers to the mystery - but instead brought even more questions.
Stefan Hogeborn has 20 years experience of diving and working as underwater photographer and dive instructor.  Here he describes the first dive at the world famous circle in the Baltic Sea:
- The first thing we will see is some kind of rock formation that looks to be cast in cement, he said.
When they swim further, they see several rock formations.
- It looks almost like a pearl necklace or that someone has tried to make a fireplace with an inch-sized rocks on the ocean floor.
The furnace-like rock formations on top of that which constitutes the large circle that was discovered with a scanner tool last year.  Divers images shows that the circle in turn consist of several blocks formed by "rolls" or "mushrooms" that is attached to each other, forming the circle.  Overall, the object is 60 meters long and about as wide.
- When we had swum across the object, we get to the weird thing.  Then it's like someone has pinched the mountain at the edge, as if you have breathed together two molds, and it sticks out between stone formers, said Stefan Hogeborn.
"Probably sandstone"

At the next dive, they took a sledgehammer to dislodge a piece of material.  Stefan Hogeborn describes the sense of carbonized material.  During the last dive divers discover an oblong hole in one and a half times the six inches that go into one of the rocks which form the circle.
- I have never, ever, ever, seen anything like it, says Stefan Hogeborn.
Expressen has let Martin Jakobsson, a professor of marine geology and geophysics at the University of Stockholm, see an image from the dive.
- There is probably some kind of sandstone.  When you look at the structure, it looks like it, he says.
The samples from the discovery of the Baltic Sea has been sent for analysis.
- Since we did not get any answers to the questions we asked ourselves, we have brought this to the experts who may be looking at the pieces we brought up, says Stefan Hogeborn.

Fact Summary

Rock Formation, which almost seems to be cast in cement, according to the divers.
At one point there was what is likened to a pearl necklace - or that someone has tried to make a fireplace with an inch-sized rocks on the ocean floor.
The furnace-like rock formations on top of that which constitutes the large circle that was discovered with a scanner tool last year.  Divers images shows that the circle in turn consist of several blocks formed by "rolls" or "mushrooms" that is attached to each other, forming the circle.
Overall, the object is 60 meters long and about as wide.
Elsewhere, it looks like someone has pinched the mountain at the edge, as if you have breathed together two molds and it sticks out between stone formers, according to the divers.

There is also a video-clip, in Swedish, but it has some footage of the site.

Source: http://www.expressen...t-pa-nara-hall/

"Opinions are like a**holes, everyone seems to have one" - Dirty Harry

"All those who believe in psychokinesis, raise my hand... "

"I have a black belt in Feng Shui, the subtle martial art. I go home to you and move a lamp and a chair... twelve years later you lay there on the floor with broken kneecaps and destitute."

#213    pallidin

pallidin

Telekinetic

• 7,388 posts

• "When life gets you down... swim with a dolphin"

Posted 15 June 2012 - 03:53 PM

Well, now we're getting somewhere with Ocean-X.
No alien craft at least.

#214    bison

bison

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,352 posts

Posted 15 June 2012 - 04:45 PM

The video of the edge of the object is particularly interesting. It shows a distinct shape, which seems to lie on top of the sea bottom clay, and appears to be of a very different material. It is nicely rounded overall, and  clearly incurved near the sea floor, suggesting the metaphor of a mushroom cap. There seems to be some hesitancy on the part of the divers to simply write this off as a conventional geologic feature - -"First we thought this was only stone, but this is something else". They were wise to defer to the scientists who will analyze samples of the material, before reaching any conclusions.
***** The egg-shaped opening in the top of the object is also interesting. One naturally wonders how large this is ( the translated size figure was garbled and ambiguous), how deeply it penetrates into the object, and what further examination of it, and clearing of any debris it might contain would reveal.
***** A downward sloping flattened path, ending at the object, is confirmed. Its significance is unclear. We still have not been told if it is downstream from the object, with respect to a known sea current. It is not clear if such a current, which are reportedly negligible in the Baltic, could have created the deposits surrounding the flattened path.
*****Looking at images of the supposed small circles of stones, found atop the large object, I am dubious about their status as fire rings, or as manmade features of any sort.  They are quite irregular, and could be randomly placed rocks that coincidentally assumed  shapes something like circles.
*****I am dubious, too, about the idea that the circular object as a whole could be manmade. The general sea level was once about 90 meters lower than it is today. This would place the site on dry land. That was near the end of the last ice age, about 14,000 years ago. However, the Baltic was apparently an ice-covered expanse at the time. Not at all hospitable for human habitation.

Edited by bison, 15 June 2012 - 05:08 PM.

#215    hacktorp

hacktorp

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 592 posts

Posted 15 June 2012 - 06:49 PM

I'll say it's a huge sandstone boulder that was at one time trapped in a glacier.  The glacier shaped it until the ice melted and it dropped to the bottom.

Scary stuff.

#216    bison

bison

Psychic Spy

• 1,352 posts

Posted 15 June 2012 - 08:10 PM

View Posthacktorp, on 15 June 2012 - 06:49 PM, said:

I'll say it's a huge sandstone boulder that was at one time trapped in a glacier.  The glacier shaped it until the ice melted and it dropped to the bottom.

Scary stuff.
It may very well be. It will be interesting to see if the analysis of the material shows it to be sandstone or any other known sort of natural rock. There is also the matter of its shape. Judging by the way the bottom part curves in, it looks as though most of it could be protruding above the clay making up the top layer of the sea floor. Perhaps the clay layer is thin there, and the boulder is resting on granite bedrock. We see that its diameter is roughly 200 feet, and its height 10 to 13 feet. Supposing that a third of it is buried, that makes it about 17 feet tall (at most) by ~ 200 wide.   That's a curiously shaped boulder, at least 11 times as wide as it is high.; nearly as flat as some coins.

#217    woopypooky

woopypooky

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 240 posts

Posted 17 June 2012 - 09:41 AM

not UFO, sadding discovery

#218    docyabut2

docyabut2

Government Agent

• 3,642 posts

Posted 18 June 2012 - 09:12 AM

Posted Image

Perhaps a small mud volcano.

#219    bison

bison

Psychic Spy

• 1,352 posts

Posted 18 June 2012 - 02:14 PM

View Postdocyabut2, on 18 June 2012 - 09:12 AM, said:

Posted Image

Perhaps a small mud volcano.
  It doesn't seem too likely. The geology of the area is granitic bedrock, scoured over by glaciers during the ice ages. This is overlain by sedimentary clays. No known volcanoes, or even hot springs in the area, past or present. Samples of the 'disk' material should, if natural, be easily assignable to one of the three main rock categories: Metamorphic, Sedimentary, Igneous. The latter is what would be found at a volcano. The divers seemed to be of the impression that the disk looked like sedimentary rock. With luck, the results of the scientific tests of the samples the divers took could become available sometime later this week.

#220    Myles

Myles

Alien Abducter

• 4,515 posts

Posted 18 June 2012 - 02:22 PM

So it was found to be rock?    The spacecraft theory is busted?

#221    Erudite Celt

Erudite Celt

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 294 posts

Posted 18 June 2012 - 02:30 PM

View Postbison, on 18 June 2012 - 02:14 PM, said:

It doesn't seem too likely. The geology of the area is granitic bedrock, scoured over by glaciers during the ice ages. This is overlain by sedimentary clays. No known volcanoes, or even hot springs in the area, past or present. Samples of the 'disk' material should, if natural, be easily assignable to one of the three main rock categories: Metamorphic, Sedimentary, Igneous. The latter is what would be found at a volcano. The divers seemed to be of the impression that the disk looked like sedimentary rock. With luck, the results of the scientific tests of the samples the divers took could become available sometime later this week.
Not so bison, your memory must be fading ref my point to you at #183=Hi Bison recent surveys  of the Baltic Basin on the Scandinavian shelf show a huge amount of thermal activity. The following excerpt is from the Lithuanian institute of Geology and Geography: http://engine.brgm.f...#anchor23c0b5cf
Scandinavia
Balling (1995) provided correlation of the basement rocks heat production and surface heat flow of southern Fennoscandian Shield Q=32.8+7.6A that is compatible to that of Estonia. It indicates rather high mantle and lower-middle crustal heat flow, which is much higher than that in the Finland geothermal province. The maximum heat production ranging from 1.5 µWm/m3 to 3.5 µWm/m3 is related to Trans-Scandinavian igneous belt.

Edited by Erudite Celt, 18 June 2012 - 02:31 PM.

#222    bison

bison

Psychic Spy

• 1,352 posts

Posted 18 June 2012 - 08:45 PM

View PostMyles, on 18 June 2012 - 02:22 PM, said:

So it was found to be rock? The spacecraft theory is busted?
No, so far as I am aware, the material of the disk is as yet unidentified. The divers variously described it as looking like sandstone or concrete. Some parts were reportedly too hard for them to break off samples from it, even with a sledge hammer. One could speculate that the object is merely a boulder. It is also possible that an object of unknown nature is covered over with the sort of natural encrustations that build up on things that have long ago fallen into the sea. The tests of the material, which have apparently already begun, should help clarify the matter.

Edited by bison, 18 June 2012 - 08:46 PM.

#223    Myles

Myles

Alien Abducter

• 4,515 posts

Posted 18 June 2012 - 09:18 PM

View Postbison, on 18 June 2012 - 08:45 PM, said:

No, so far as I am aware, the material of the disk is as yet unidentified. The divers variously described it as looking like sandstone or concrete. Some parts were reportedly too hard for them to break off samples from it, even with a sledge hammer. One could speculate that the object is merely a boulder. It is also possible that an object of unknown nature is covered over with the sort of natural encrustations that build up on things that have long ago fallen into the sea. The tests of the material, which have apparently already begun, should help clarify the matter.
Forgive me if I am being naive, but were they using sledge hammers underwater?  I understand you need to break a piece off somehow, but wouldn't there be pnuematic or electric saws available.  Maybe I'm just taking your words "sledge hammer" to literal.   I'm picturing a guy in a divers suit with a little sledge trying to break a big rock through the water. :yes:

I would also think that they would use a drilling device with a gauge which would show when they hit a different consistancy.

#224    bison

bison

Psychic Spy

• 1,352 posts

Posted 18 June 2012 - 09:37 PM

View PostErudite Celt, on 18 June 2012 - 02:30 PM, said:

Not so bison, your memory must be fading ref my point to you at #183=Hi Bison recent surveys  of the Baltic Basin on the Scandinavian shelf show a huge amount of thermal activity. The following excerpt is from the Lithuanian institute of Geology and Geography: http://engine.brgm.f...#anchor23c0b5cf
Scandinavia
Balling (1995) provided correlation of the basement rocks heat production and surface heat flow of southern Fennoscandian Shield Q=32.8+7.6A that is compatible to that of Estonia. It indicates rather high mantle and lower-middle crustal heat flow, which is much higher than that in the Finland geothermal province. The maximum heat production ranging from 1.5 µWm/m3 to 3.5 µWm/m3 is related to Trans-Scandinavian igneous belt.
I wasn't forgetting the information you provided. It's well known, of course that there is a great deal of heat inside the Earth. Even if more heat is apparent underneath one area of the earth's surface than another, this does not, it seems, inevitably manifest itself on the surface of the Earth, or the sea floor. I found several positive statements about the lack of even hot springs in Sweden. If the Baltic Sea floor 'disk'  turns out to be an improbable exception to what is to be expected, it will be all the more remarkable for that.

#225    bison

bison

Psychic Spy

• 1,352 posts

Posted 18 June 2012 - 10:01 PM

View PostMyles, on 18 June 2012 - 09:18 PM, said:

Forgive me if I am being naive, but were they using sledge hammers underwater?  I understand you need to break a piece off somehow, but wouldn't there be pnuematic or electric saws available.  Maybe I'm just taking your words "sledge hammer" to literal.   I'm picturing a guy in a divers suit with a little sledge trying to break a big rock through the water. :yes:

I would also think that they would use a drilling device with a gauge which would show when they hit a different consistancy.
I know very little of ocean salvage, beyond what I read at the Ocean Explorer web sites. They said a sledge hammer was used. I assumed they meant that literally. Would the resistance of the water to motion weaken the force of a blow  that could be delivered with such a hammer?  I tend to think so. Perhaps the use of a large hammer would help to overcome this problem.  There would be substantially greater kinetic energy, with much less increase in the area of moving surfaces to which resistance is applied. The cube of mass rises much faster than the square of resistance.

Edited by bison, 18 June 2012 - 10:03 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users