Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Discovered - Mysterious Disc on Baltic Seabed

• Please log in to reply
294 replies to this topic

#226    docyabut2

docyabut2

Government Agent

• 4,118 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 03:34 AM

The divers found soot-covered rocks that encircled an egg-shaped hole that went into the object at its center

Would`nt that be typical of a volcano?

#227    Chooky88

Chooky88

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 311 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 01:30 PM

Hey. Can you guys tone down the intellectual speak please? Cubes of mass vs squares of resistance? I thought it just common sense to not use, a sledge hammer underwater.

#228    bison

bison

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,638 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 01:36 PM

View Postdocyabut2, on 19 June 2012 - 03:34 AM, said:

The divers found soot-covered rocks that encircled an egg-shaped hole that went into the object at its center

Would`nt that be typical of a volcano?
Soot is one interpretation of what was seen. Another is any of the common dark oxides found on rocks, due to the presence of iron, magnesium or manganese. I don't recall reading that any of the supposed circles of rocks actually encircled the egg-shaped hole. This object could be a so-called 'smoker', a geothermal vent on the sea floor. If so, it doesn't appear to be currently active. Even in the photographs, the object appears more sedimentary than igneous. A very simple assessment by a geologist could settle this basic point almost at once. I hope this information becomes available soon.

#229    Adi2K

Adi2K

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 01:45 PM

Judging the big track it's leaving behind; what if it's a huge 'sliding rock'? :whistle:  lol, I don't know, but this story really intrigues me.

http://www.redicecre...67rocksmove.jpg

#230    bison

bison

Psychic Spy

• 1,638 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 03:23 PM

For all we know, it could be an extraterrestrial probe capable of movement on the sea floor, and encased in something like concrete to protect and conceal it. That would explain the track behind it. Its unlikely that some random natural trench on the sea floor would just happen to end at the object. Object and trail seem pretty obviously connected in some way.  The negligible currents in the Baltic Sea make it questionable that the trail is a gap in sediment carried around either side of the object. The three dimensional analysis of the SONAR image looks more like a trench was plowed out from the sea floor.

#231    docyabut2

docyabut2

Government Agent

• 4,118 posts

Posted 20 June 2012 - 12:08 AM

There are submarines tracks found all over all the world underwater, you can`nt judge by tracks:)

Edited by docyabut2, 20 June 2012 - 12:17 AM.

#232    Varelse

Varelse

Unanimous Animous

• 1,273 posts

• The deterioration of every government begins with the decay of the principles upon which it was founded. -Montesquieu

Posted 20 June 2012 - 01:26 AM

View PostMyles, on 18 June 2012 - 02:22 PM, said:

So it was found to be rock? The spacecraft theory is busted?

Maybe the flying saucers failsafe once its crashed is to start a reaction the encases the entire ship in rock...?

I'd love to be the first to look around in that egg shaped hole-maybe the escape hatch?

Anything is possible. Not likely, but possible.

Pleased to meet you. Hope you guess my name.

#233    Varelse

Varelse

Unanimous Animous

• 1,273 posts

• The deterioration of every government begins with the decay of the principles upon which it was founded. -Montesquieu

Posted 20 June 2012 - 01:38 AM

View Postbison, on 18 June 2012 - 10:01 PM, said:

I know very little of ocean salvage, beyond what I read at the Ocean Explorer web sites. They said a sledge hammer was used. I assumed they meant that literally. Would the resistance of the water to motion weaken the force of a blow  that could be delivered with such a hammer?  I tend to think so. Perhaps the use of a large hammer would help to overcome this problem.  There would be substantially greater kinetic energy, with much less increase in the area of moving surfaces to which resistance is applied. The cube of mass rises much faster than the square of resistance.

After reading a few tranlated articles I'm under the impression that some key details are being slightly misunderstood because of poor google translations and choice of words. It will take full photos and crystal clear video before I make any more assumptions.

#234    Earl.Of.Trumps

Earl.Of.Trumps

BigFoot Whisperer

• 3,245 posts

• One of the beginnings of human emancipation is knowing when authority needs to be corrected | Hitchens, adapted

Posted 20 June 2012 - 02:13 AM

The thought struck me while reading the article.

what if this was a sunken German experimental UBoat?

yes, yes, its a wild guess. emphasis on 'wild'

"I'm not trying to say your wrong, I'm just saying I disagree with you" ~ Jeremy ~

#235    Varelse

Varelse

Unanimous Animous

• 1,273 posts

Posted 20 June 2012 - 04:06 AM

View PostEarl.Of.Trumps, on 20 June 2012 - 02:13 AM, said:

The thought struck me while reading the article.

what if this was a sunken German experimental UBoat?

yes, yes, its a wild guess. emphasis on 'wild'

I kinda wondered the same thing a few pages back. A round experimental hovercraft or sub that was too big, never quite worked so they covered it in cement and dragged it out to sea to sink it in a quiet spot. If it was found no one would know what they were looking at. Could explain the nazi ufo rumors.

#236    Adi2K

Adi2K

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 20 June 2012 - 06:34 AM

View PostFramling, on 20 June 2012 - 04:06 AM, said:

I kinda wondered the same thing a few pages back. A round experimental hovercraft or sub that was too big, never quite worked so they covered it in cement and dragged it out to sea to sink it in a quiet spot. If it was found no one would know what they were looking at. Could explain the nazi ufo rumors.

A very liable theory, indeed... but it would need quite a Bismarck to hull that piece of Millenium Failcon out through the archipelago between Sweden and Finland, where the object is located 'nearby'.

Edited by Adi2K, 20 June 2012 - 06:40 AM.

#237    ninjadude

ninjadude

Seeker of truths

• 11,069 posts

• "dirt collects at the interfaces"

Posted 21 June 2012 - 03:11 AM

View PostFramling, on 20 June 2012 - 01:26 AM, said:

Anything is possible.

no. It's not.

"Whatever you can do or dream you can, begin it. Boldness has genius, power and magic in it. Begin it now!""
- Friedrich Nietzsche

#238    Varelse

Varelse

Unanimous Animous

• 1,273 posts

Posted 21 June 2012 - 03:24 AM

View Postninjadude, on 21 June 2012 - 03:11 AM, said:

no. It's not.

Well, if you want get semantic..."Within the realm of our natural world anything that follows the laws of nature, physics and the flying spaghetti monster is possible."

#239    bison

bison

Psychic Spy

• 1,638 posts

Posted 23 June 2012 - 03:57 PM

Peter Lindberg has recenly given his assessment of the object, opining that there is a 99% chance of it being natural,  0.9% of it being manmade, and  0.1%  an extraterrestrial artifact. All very neat and precise for something we still know so little about. I'd put the manmade scenario at virtually zero, given what we believe we know about the natural history of the Baltic. I couldn't say about the rest of those odds.
*****The fact that the object looks superficially like stone does not establish that it is. I alluded before to the fact that artificial objects left in the sea for long periods of time often become thoroughly encrusted with mineral deposits. We can rule out corals. The waters of Scandinavia are too cold for these, but ordinary concretions of sand, shell particles, and the remains of sea plants are certainly possible. Anyone who wishes to see for themselves what a single century underwater can do to an artificial object, even in Northern waters,  should look up the many images available of the Titanic. Given the passage of many centuries, or even millennia, an object might very well become less artificial looking, and more rock-like.
*****One consideration that supports the artificial nature of the object is this: The straight lines and right angles observed last year in the first sonar imagery, upon closer examination appear even straighter and more regular, reports Peter Lindberg. This is the opposite of cases where initial impressions of artificiality were destroyed  by closer examination. Perhaps the most famous example of this is the so-called face on Mars.

Edited by bison, 23 June 2012 - 04:00 PM.

#240    bison

bison

Psychic Spy

• 1,638 posts

Posted 24 June 2012 - 03:12 PM

I looked more closely into the matter of the straight lines or grooves on the Baltic Sea 'disk'. The emerging natural explanation for these seems to be that they are glacial striations, worn in fixed stone, as the ice advanced and retreated over it. Many examples of such wear patterns are known to geology.  According to the account given with the first Sonar image, the lines on the 'disk' run North and South. I was curious to know if this matched the direction along which glaciers advanced and retreated in the Baltic Sea area, during the ice age. I found that the general movement of the ice in the Baltic was Northwest and Southeast. This is obviously not a good match. Assuming accuracy in the given directions, it could be 45 degrees out. As tempting as the explanation of a glacial worn rock may be, it appears to me that another scenario may be necessary to account for the very straight lines on the disk.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users