Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Is Scientology a religion ?

• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

#1    Persia

Persia

A Persian Monarchist

• 8,769 posts

• ♥ FREE PERSIA♥

Posted 18 July 2011 - 08:56 AM

Since 1993, Scientology, which many people have long considered to be a “cult,” has been a religion in the eyes of the United States government, with the tax exemption that goes along with that. But whether it is actually a “religion” in the way that most of us think about religion is a wholly different matter.

http://www.washingto...EnSKI_blog.html

Posted Image

#2    Sir Wearer of Hats

Sir Wearer of Hats

Knight of Sarcasm

• 8,758 posts

Posted 18 July 2011 - 09:16 AM

Arguably, you're only a cult until you've been around long enough.
that said, it's a tax dodge. People who knew Hubbard when he set up Happiology have confirmed it. Friends of Hubbard have confirmed it.

#3    libstaK

libstaK

Nosce Te Ipsum

• 5,569 posts

• Hello Reality and all that is True
    When Oxymoron was defined it was just for you

Posted 18 July 2011 - 02:54 PM

Scientology is a cult, I don't care how long it hangs around it will always be a cult - thetans? seriously? and because L Ron Hubbard said so no less? amazingly discombobulating.:rolleyes:

"I warn you, whoever you are, oh you who wish to probe the arcanes of nature, if you do not find within yourself that which you seek, neither shall you find it outside.
If you ignore the excellencies of your own house, how do you intend to find other excellencies?
In you is hidden the treasure of treasures, Oh man, know thyself and you shall know the Universe and the Gods."

Inscription - Temple of Delphi

#4    Fyfee

Fyfee

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 80 posts

Posted 18 July 2011 - 03:16 PM

It's a cult. We watched a lot of documentaries about it at school and the people were talking about how the leaders of the cult would teach them how to deal with their families when their families asked them to leave scientology. Eventually they would separate them from their families completely. Doesn't sound very friendly to me.

#5    HerNibs

HerNibs

Grand Duchess Anaesthesia

• 11,977 posts

• Endless repetition does not make something true.

Posted 18 July 2011 - 03:23 PM

It is classified as a religion by the IRS.

I consider it a business.  A scam business at that.

A violent abusive scam business.

Nibs

Just because it is a mystery to YOU doesn't make it unexplained.

STORM - a must watch - caution, some profanity and may cause you to experience reason.

#6    Corp

Corp

Telekinetic

• 6,918 posts

Posted 20 July 2011 - 04:25 PM

The belief system itself could be seen as a religion. The Church however is without a doubt a cult.

War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things: the decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth a war, is much worse...A man who has nothing which he is willing to fight for, nothing which he cares more about than he does about his personal safety, is a miserable creature who has no chance of being free, unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself.

#7    FLOMBIE

FLOMBIE

sempere aude

• 2,513 posts

Posted 20 July 2011 - 04:47 PM

We have had several cases on that in Germany, and Scientology was never allowed to operate as a religious community. The official status they have in Germany is that of membership corporation, very much like a sports or cigar club. They are also under close observation by the Federal Office for the Protection of the Constitution.

I am glad it is like that, as I very much believe that is is a cult. A very dangerous and evil one indeed.

#8    Beckys_Mom

Beckys_Mom

Sarcastic Muppet..!

• 51,193 posts

• "I hate pretentious people. I mean, what is the point in applying exorbitantly extensive vocabulary, it is just straightforwardly unnecessary".

Posted 20 July 2011 - 05:05 PM

It is many things ...A cult...a scam..and a religion

Posted ImageRAW Berris... Dare you enter?

If there's a heaven...I hope to hell I get there !

#9    Mr_Snstr

Mr_Snstr

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,161 posts

• Live Free or Don't

Posted 20 July 2011 - 05:23 PM

"Quickest way to make a millions dollars is to start a religion."

...probably followed by "U mad bro?"

#10    Beckys_Mom

Beckys_Mom

Sarcastic Muppet..!

• 51,193 posts

• "I hate pretentious people. I mean, what is the point in applying exorbitantly extensive vocabulary, it is just straightforwardly unnecessary".

Posted 20 July 2011 - 05:32 PM

View PostFLOMBIE, on 20 July 2011 - 04:47 PM, said:

I am glad it is like that, as I very much believe that is is a cult. A very dangerous and evil one indeed.

Is there a religious cult that is not dangerous and evil?

Edited by Beckys_Mom, 20 July 2011 - 05:33 PM.

#11    FLOMBIE

FLOMBIE

sempere aude

• 2,513 posts

Posted 20 July 2011 - 07:34 PM

Good remark, Beckys_Mom. Well, it is debatable whether it's a cult or not (it does have cult-like structures), but I would not call the Freemasons dangerous and evil. Or the Jedis in the UK, which are now a recognized religion.

#12    Beckys_Mom

Beckys_Mom

Sarcastic Muppet..!

• 51,193 posts

Posted 20 July 2011 - 07:55 PM

View PostFLOMBIE, on 20 July 2011 - 07:34 PM, said:

Good remark, Beckys_Mom. Well, it is debatable whether it's a cult or not (it does have cult-like structures), but I would not call the Freemasons dangerous and evil. Or the Jedis in the UK, which are now a recognized religion.

Give them time

#13    FLOMBIE

FLOMBIE

sempere aude

• 2,513 posts

Posted 20 July 2011 - 08:05 PM

You mean they will eventually turn to the dark side?  :lol:

#14    truthseeker68

truthseeker68

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 27 posts

Posted 20 July 2011 - 08:17 PM

In my opinion ALL religions started as a Cult. Christianity started as a handful of followers didn't it.??? Scientolgy the same way...and many,many others.

Who knows...a thousand years from now Scientology may be bigger than Christianity..??? And they may look back and say that Christians or Muslims are a Cult.

I'm just saying... :rofl:

#15    HerNibs

HerNibs

Grand Duchess Anaesthesia

• 11,977 posts

• Endless repetition does not make something true.

Posted 20 July 2011 - 08:21 PM

View Posttruthseeker68, on 20 July 2011 - 08:17 PM, said:

In my opinion ALL religions started as a Cult. Christianity started as a handful of followers didn't it.??? Scientolgy the same way...and many,many others.

Who knows...a thousand years from now Scientology may be bigger than Christianity..??? And they may look back and say that Christians or Muslims are a Cult.

I'm just saying... :rofl:

The only way to "advance" or become a better member of Scientology and learn it's doctrine is by money.

Their "religious texts" are secret and unless you pony up the money, you don't get to become a good or great Scientologist.

As far as I know, all other religions don't consider their religious texts as proprietary and secret.

Nibs

Just because it is a mystery to YOU doesn't make it unexplained.

STORM - a must watch - caution, some profanity and may cause you to experience reason.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users