Jump to content




Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.


- - - - -

Final space shuttle mission draws to a close


  • Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1    Saru

Saru

    Site Webmaster

  • 19,996 posts
  • Joined:06 Mar 2001
  • Gender:Male

  • "The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious." - Albert Einstein

Posted 21 July 2011 - 10:25 AM

The space shuttle Atlantis has successfully touched down at the Kennedy Space Center in Florida.

Telegraph said:

After more than 30 years, Nasa's space shuttle programme comes to an end as Atlantis touches down at the Kennedy Space Center in Florida.

Posted Image Read more...



#2    WoIverine

WoIverine

    Telekinetic

  • Member
  • 6,721 posts
  • Joined:16 Sep 2008
  • Gender:Male

Posted 21 July 2011 - 02:12 PM

Yeah...unfortunately I just heard they're cutting up to 8000 jobs as well. Pretty sad day for the space program, thank your sparkling administration for all of it democrats (isn't like the Republicans are any less greedy though). BTW, Florida's unemployment rate was already hovering around 17%, think our elected officials on either side give a damn about any of us at all? Think again.

Edited by Spid3rCyd3, 21 July 2011 - 02:18 PM.


#3    xXHellkittiesXx

xXHellkittiesXx

    Extraterrestrial Entity

  • Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 403 posts
  • Joined:29 Jul 2010
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:New England

  • >^.^<

Posted 21 July 2011 - 03:29 PM

At this rate I'll never get my Imperial Star Destroyer :(


#4    marharthm

marharthm

    Ectoplasmic Residue

  • Member
  • Pip
  • 125 posts
  • Joined:05 Oct 2010

Posted 21 July 2011 - 03:39 PM

This is a good thing.

NASA is now focusing on deep space.


#5    Anotheryahoo

Anotheryahoo

    Alien Embryo

  • Member
  • Pip
  • 112 posts
  • Joined:08 Jul 2011

Posted 21 July 2011 - 06:01 PM

View PostSpid3rCyd3, on 21 July 2011 - 02:12 PM, said:

Yeah...unfortunately I just heard they're cutting up to 8000 jobs as well. Pretty sad day for the space program, thank your sparkling administration for all of it democrats (isn't like the Republicans are any less greedy though). BTW, Florida's unemployment rate was already hovering around 17%, think our elected officials on either side give a damn about any of us at all? Think again.
Great Job way to go NASA! Dont want to spin this off into politics but lets remember president Bush never funded Constellation nor did the republican congress. Obama stepped into a pile of poo from all the stupid wars(4 trillion and counting) and to a space program Constellation that wasnt funded only a PR gimmick.
I think Nasa 's low orbit approach with private companies will be terrific. Instead having just 1 way to get to low earth orbit/ISS we will have many....Boeing,Lockheed,ULA,Sierra nevada,Space X,Blue Origin. This will free up Nasa and funds to build a heavy lifter and go to Mars and perhaps Europa.

Also look they just got into orbit around Vesta, Hubble just found another moon around Pluto etc. Nasa isnt standing still the republicans just want to kill it like they do a bunch of programs. Lets face it space exploration is considered another social program. Only way they will get interested is when China starts going crazy up there. Republicans love those military programs and that wont be long.


#6    Socio

Socio

    Paranormal Investigator

  • Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 839 posts
  • Joined:27 Feb 2008

Posted 21 July 2011 - 10:15 PM

View PostAnotheryahoo, on 21 July 2011 - 06:01 PM, said:

Great Job way to go NASA! Dont want to spin this off into politics but lets remember president Bush never funded Constellation nor did the republican congress. Obama stepped into a pile of poo from all the stupid wars(4 trillion and counting) and to a space program Constellation that wasnt funded only a PR gimmick.
I think Nasa 's low orbit approach with private companies will be terrific. Instead having just 1 way to get to low earth orbit/ISS we will have many....Boeing,Lockheed,ULA,Sierra nevada,Space X,Blue Origin. This will free up Nasa and funds to build a heavy lifter and go to Mars and perhaps Europa.

Also look they just got into orbit around Vesta, Hubble just found another moon around Pluto etc. Nasa isnt standing still the republicans just want to kill it like they do a bunch of programs. Lets face it space exploration is considered another social program. Only way they will get interested is when China starts going crazy up there. Republicans love those military programs and that wont be long.

We are pretty much done but much of the blame falls on the liberal as well, remember it was Obama that made Muslim outreach and studying the catastrophic effects of climate change prime directives for NASA.

We are over 14 trillion in debt, the takers are out pacing the makers hand over fist, the US is going backwards, the EU is facing similar problems. And liberal agendas are a major culprits for both, their outcome makes the future of man is space look very dim.    

I mean its pretty obvious, when the makers are having to pay for more and more takers there is less and less left to finance other things like space programs.

We will hitch rides with the Russians while we can afford it but last too won't last.

Edited by Socio, 21 July 2011 - 10:31 PM.


#7    DONTEATUS

DONTEATUS

    Forum Divinity

  • Member
  • 17,404 posts
  • Joined:15 Feb 2008
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Planet TEXAS

Posted 21 July 2011 - 10:39 PM

View PostSocio, on 21 July 2011 - 10:15 PM, said:

We are pretty much done but much of the blame falls on the liberal as well, remember it was Obama that made Muslim outreach a prime directive for NASA.

We are over 14 trillion in debt, the takers are out pacing the makers hand over fist, the US is going backwards, the EU is facing similar problems. And liberal agendas are a major culprits for both, their outcome makes the future of man is space look very dim.    

I mean its pretty obvious, when the makers are having to pay for more and more takers there is less and less left to finance other things like space programs.
Well if we were to Grow up on this Rock and quit putting the Blame on Obama,and what ever people read into what hes trying to do we can move on with our goals.
Politics and ones ideas about religious point of views should be kept as far away from NASA as possible. Maybe we do need to completly  let it go to the private sector.
And maybe we all need to vote  and elect people that care for our planet. :tu:

Attached Files


This is a Work in Progress!

#8    David Yates

David Yates

    Alien Embryo

  • Member
  • Pip
  • 41 posts
  • Joined:25 Jun 2007

Posted 21 July 2011 - 11:32 PM

I've heard that a cow might be exchanged for some magic beans...


#9    Socio

Socio

    Paranormal Investigator

  • Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 839 posts
  • Joined:27 Feb 2008

Posted 22 July 2011 - 12:00 AM

View PostDONTEATUS, on 21 July 2011 - 10:39 PM, said:

Well if we were to Grow up on this Rock and quit putting the Blame on Obama,and what ever people read into what hes trying to do we can move on with our goals.
Politics and ones ideas about religious point of views should be kept as far away from NASA as possible. Maybe we do need to completly  let it go to the private sector.
And maybe we all need to vote  and elect people that care for our planet. :tu:

That would be a real good idea as long as there is some kind of profit in it like mining on the moon or perhaps some asteroid then progress would continue baring being smothered by government regulations.


#10    primordial

primordial

    Psychic Spy

  • Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,695 posts
  • Joined:21 Jan 2005
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Land before 1492

  • I'd hate to die twice. It's so boring-- Richard Feynman, physicist, d. 1988

Posted 22 July 2011 - 03:03 AM

http://gizmodo.com/5...e-single-launch
Sad day indeed, tho I am very happy that I was in this epoch of space travel n discoveries of Hubble..

Angels on the sideline,
Baffled and confused.
Father blessed them all with reason.
And this is what they choose...
And this is what they choose.

#11    Paracelse

Paracelse

    Government Agent

  • Member
  • 4,074 posts
  • Joined:02 Mar 2008
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:France

Posted 23 July 2011 - 06:43 AM

There is a rumor the ground crew attending to the flight crew will be dressed as Monkeys, well more into Planet of the Apes costumes.  That would be hilarious to see.

Those who would sacrifice freedom for security deserve neither Benjamin Franklin
République No.6
It's time for a sixth republic.

#12    REBEL

REBEL

    Esoteric Seeker

  • Member
  • 6,559 posts
  • Joined:09 Jun 2006
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:=Australia=

  • ''GONE FISH'N, BRB...''

Posted 23 July 2011 - 08:43 AM

From only just over a year ago, May 2010 : I recall hearing this whole speech on radio (ABC via NBC) last year.


Obama pledged total commitment to the space program, that included 'manned space flight' more than anything.

''Let me make this extremely and absolutely clear; I am 100% committed to the mission of NASA and it's future...'' *sheeple applause* (@ 12:32).

''And in order to reach the space station, we will work with a growing array of 'private' companies competing to make getting to space easier and more affordable...'' (@ 16:20)

lol!! if that not a slap in the face to all the genuine hard working government employees @ NASA about to loose their livelihoods, while once again it's ppl are sold down river to make way for 'private' Enterprise >> affirmative captain, spock out.



WARNING: Viewer discretion advised if you are allergic to BS.


Maaan they got be laughing in our faces right about now... :hmm:


#13    MID

MID

    Forum Divinity

  • Member
  • 14,490 posts
  • Joined:06 Aug 2005
  • Gender:Male

  • ...The greatest error is not to have tried and failed, but that in trying, we did not give it our best effort.

Posted 23 July 2011 - 05:14 PM

View Postprimordial, on 22 July 2011 - 03:03 AM, said:

http://gizmodo.com/5...e-single-launch
Sad day indeed, tho I am very happy that I was in this epoch of space travel n discoveries of Hubble..



Let us not cry because it's over.
Let's smile because it happened!



#14    MID

MID

    Forum Divinity

  • Member
  • 14,490 posts
  • Joined:06 Aug 2005
  • Gender:Male

  • ...The greatest error is not to have tried and failed, but that in trying, we did not give it our best effort.

Posted 23 July 2011 - 05:32 PM

View PostAnotheryahoo, on 21 July 2011 - 06:01 PM, said:

Great Job way to go NASA! Dont want to spin this off into politics but lets remember president Bush never funded Constellation nor did the republican congress. Obama stepped into a pile of poo from all the stupid wars(4 trillion and counting) and to a space program Constellation that wasnt funded only a PR gimmick.

Whenever anyone goes political, the whole thread gets infected rapidly.
I certainly understand that NASA's state at the moment is largely political, but I have to point out a couple things.

Constellation was funded.  It's not now.
PR gimmicks don't have boilerplates built, successful pad abort tests,  and sucessfully test flown Ares 1 boosters (1st stage test flight).
Constellation was real, and we had the right NASA Administrator to see it through.
I don't want to hear about the poo Obama stepped into, espcially in light of the cespool he created since.  
He cancelled Constellation, then he vascillated, and finally re-instated Orion, and heavy lift, and we'll still have private contractors working several designs of manned LEO craft, and boosters.  And still, thousands are losing jobs, many next week, and many more after Orbiter processing is concluded.


Quote

I think Nasa 's low orbit approach with private companies will be terrific. Instead having just 1 way to get to low earth orbit/ISS we will have many....Boeing,Lockheed,ULA,Sierra nevada,Space X,Blue Origin. This will free up Nasa and funds to build a heavy lifter and go to Mars and perhaps Europa.
I think its workable, but we won't have a bunch of different options.  I'd expect one or possibly two.  And, if anyone thinks that these designs will simply be thrown up and flown, including the boosters, without NASA help and NASA approval on every single aspect of their checkout, testing, man certification and preparation, they're  living an illusion.

Over these next 5-10 years, NASA is going to be a busy place.  Understaffed, but busy.
  

Quote

Also look they just got into orbit around Vesta, Hubble just found another moon around Pluto etc. Nasa isnt standing still the republicans just want to kill it like they do a bunch of programs. Lets face it space exploration is considered another social program. Only way they will get interested is when China starts going crazy up there. Republicans love those military programs and that wont be long.


Let's stop the political nonsense.
NASA isn't standing still, you're right.  But how you can say space exploration is another social program and that anyone wants to CUT IT is astounding.It's already been cut down by the people who want to do it, and even they'll never sustain that, as has been evidenced by Orion and heavy lift's return.  We're in for more changes fter next year.

Let's keep this thing on track.


#15    Lilly

Lilly

    Forum Divinity

  • 16,157 posts
  • Joined:16 Apr 2004
  • Gender:Female

  • "To thine own self be true" William Shakespeare

Posted 23 July 2011 - 05:33 PM

View PostMID, on 23 July 2011 - 05:14 PM, said:


Let us not cry because it's over.
Let's smile because it happened!


And besides, we should be happy...we're going to an asteroid next!  :yes:

"Ignorance is ignorance. It is a state of mind, not an opinion." ~MID~

"All that live must die, passing through nature into eternity" ~Shakespeare~ Posted Image




0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users