Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

The Right of Gun Ownership

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
22 replies to this topic

#16    joc

joc

Adminstrator of Cosmic Blues

• 14,465 posts

• They're wearing steel that's bright and true
    They carry news that must get through
    They choose the path where no-one goes

Posted 05 December 2004 - 03:56 AM

Fourth Response

The fact that one can purchase a gun legally makes it so much easier for the criminal to obtain and cheaper!

The hard fact is that America is a huge country with literally hundreds of millions of guns of all varieties.
Making guns illegal would not get rid of all of the guns in America.  If every law abiding citizen turned in to the authorities the weapons they own, who then would have guns in America?  The Police and the Criminals.  

This debate has been about whether or not guns should be made illegal.  Much has been said on the other side about the death rate involved with guns.    The whole debate however goes much deeper than just guns.  In order to eliminate gun ownership in this country it is first necessary to abolish the 2nd  Amendment to the Constitution.  The Freedoms we enjoy in this country are protected by this document which most of us here hold dear and sacred.   Gun ownership is a right.

The fact is that most people who own guns donít kill other people with them.  The fact that bad people with guns are dangerous will not change because guns are made illegal.  

I would like to thank Lottie for debating with me and also thank all of you who took the time to analyse the responses given on both sides.  And thanks to Saruman who gives us all the opportunity to express our ideas and thoughts.

Posted Image
once i believed that starlight could guide me home
now i know that light is old and stars are cold

ReverbNation

#17    BurnSide

BurnSide

Through the Looking Glass

• 25,390 posts

Posted 13 December 2004 - 06:22 PM

Looking for a response from Lottie now. thumbsup.gif

#18    Lottie

Lottie

The Nappy Ninja !!

• 7,516 posts

• "I like long walks, especially when they are taken by people who annoy me." - Noel Coward

Posted 14 December 2004 - 06:08 PM

Summary

Some of the articles and statistics I have read regarding gun crime are hard to digest and pretty shocking. Simply, thousands of unnecessary deaths and lives have been wasted by gun crime in America.
The fact is if a person has the legal right to own a gun then more lives are at risk.
The fact is that most people who own guns have the potential to use the gun as a way to hurt or kill another human.
The fact remains that whilst guns are legal in America it is easier for criminals to obtain such weapons and so it goes on.
Take away this right and crime and violence involving guns would reduce dramatically.

America, the land of the free where people should be able to walk along the street without having to always worry that someone is about to shoot them or their neighbour is suddenly going to become a crazed lunatic who shoots his family and then himself. Free to me is about not having that worry in the corner of one's mind.

Thankyou Joc for an interesting debate, you tested me... original.gif x

#19    BurnSide

BurnSide

• 25,390 posts

Posted 16 December 2004 - 04:50 PM

This debate is finished now.
I'd like to thank joc and Lottie for debating this difficult and touchy subject as civil as they did. You guys were great! grin2.gif

Now it's on to the debate judges for the scoring!

Both debaters will be scored out of 10 on their countering, style, persuasivness and relevance for a total score out of 40.

#20    Falco Rex

Falco Rex

The Winged Avenger

• 4,702 posts

• I'll write something pithy here later, for now just use it to advertise your band.

Posted 18 December 2004 - 01:37 PM

Here we go!

Debator 1: Joc
Relevancy: 9
Countering: 10
Style: 8
Persuasiveness: 9
Total: 36

Debator 2: Lottie
Countering: 9
Persuasiveness: 8
Total: 34

Great job guys!

#21    AztecInca

AztecInca

Martian

• 9,013 posts

• All it takes for evil to triumph, is for good people to do nothing.

Posted 19 December 2004 - 12:17 AM

Style:8
Total: 35

Countering:9
Total: 34

Great job, both of you, that was a terrific debate and it was so hard to pick a winner! Congratulations!

#22    SecretGovernment

SecretGovernment

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 27 posts

• If I am a guilty man, my crime is in daring to believe.

Posted 20 December 2004 - 08:43 PM

Relevancy: 10
Style:8
Total: 36

Relevancy: 8
Countering:9
Total: 33

Good job to both debators!

#23    BurnSide

BurnSide

• 25,390 posts

Posted 20 December 2004 - 08:54 PM

And the debate is judged! The results are in.

The magnificent Lottie scores an awesome score of 34!
The fantastic Joc scores a incredible 36 and wins the debate!

These are both some of the highest scores on a debate. This truely ws a great debate and i thank you both for taking part. original.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users