Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * * 1 votes

'Swamp monster' threatens rail project

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1    Still Waters

Still Waters

Deeply Mysterious

• 37,473 posts

• Que Sera, Sera - Whatever will be, will be..

Posted 29 July 2011 - 02:49 PM

www.heraldsun.com.au said:

A MYTHICAL swamp monster "hiding" under Auckland is threatening to derail a project to improve the New Zealand city's traffic gridlock.

The North Island city is trying to move ahead with a multi-billion railway tunnel project to improve the minimal train network and free up its car-filled streets.

But Horotiu, a mythical monster, put the NZ$2.6 billion ($2.1 billion) project in doubt after an indigenous Maori board protested that it will destroy grounds once patrolled by the make-believe taniwha, pronounced tani-fa.

Glenn Wilcox, a member of the Maori Statutory Board, which protects Maori interests, complained that the plan did not take into account the monster, which "was here first".

The taniwha is a mythical protector with a powerful role in Maori folklore, but get it angry and you're in trouble, Mr Wilcox said.

Posted Image Read more...

Posted Image

#2    Robbie333

Robbie333

"Seek and you shall find"

• 2,790 posts

• Do not stand at my grave and weep
    I am not there; I do not sleep.

Posted 29 July 2011 - 03:24 PM

I am sure this is just a legend but somehow I find myself wanting the Maori peoples wish respected.

Robbie James

#3    Robert1

Robert1

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,665 posts

Posted 29 July 2011 - 05:46 PM

A much needed public works project is being sidetracked on account of a mythical monster.
How silly can these things get?  I'm so glad I don't live in New Zealand.

#4    village_idiot

village_idiot

Sea Shepherd Conservation Society Land Volunteer

• 2,271 posts

• "Are you willing to risk your life to save whales?"
    -Captain Paul Watson

Posted 29 July 2011 - 11:18 PM

View PostRobert1, on 29 July 2011 - 05:46 PM, said:

A much needed public works project is being sidetracked on account of a mythical monster.

Yeah, no kidding...If this was in the US, we'd have bulldozed and been done before anyone had a say in the matter...

#5    Professor Buzzkill

Professor Buzzkill

Integrity is all we have

• 2,583 posts

Posted 30 July 2011 - 09:54 AM

To be fair, the monster goes away (as it did in the Waikato, and Pohoi) when you pay the Maori elders millions of dollars. This is the legacy of a treaty that protects the religion of the native people, even though none of those people actually believe in the old religion of monsters and gods

#6    Coffey

Coffey

Majestic 12 Operative

• 5,671 posts

• "Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts." - Winston Churchill

Posted 30 July 2011 - 09:57 AM

View PostRobert1, on 29 July 2011 - 05:46 PM, said:

I disagree with you in the US people put God before things all the time, is he not mythical?!

Also n the UK I cannot imagine anyone being able to put a motorway or railway through Lochness.

When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace.

#7    mitchall

mitchall

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 138 posts

Posted 30 July 2011 - 10:04 AM

"A much needed public works project is being sidetracked on account of a mythical monster. How silly can these things get? I'm so glad I don't live in New Zealand."

The New Zealand people are probably MIGHTY HAPPY also that you don't live there !!!

#8    StarGateAtlantis

StarGateAtlantis

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 156 posts

Posted 30 July 2011 - 11:46 AM

Does it matter if this thing is real? I only care if the pleisiosaurs are still around.

#9    omg lemonade

omg lemonade

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 53 posts

Posted 30 July 2011 - 03:46 PM

i live in nz, seriously every other week the maoris are protesting about something about "their" land all they do is annoy everyone, no one gives them respect and no one ever is, they are always trying to win fights they cant, 1st the shore beds, then the air space, now this, grow up you losers and get a job ffs

#10    DigitalDreamer

DigitalDreamer

Conspiracy Theorist

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 970 posts

Posted 30 July 2011 - 07:07 PM

Its ab-suh-loot-lie moronic that a public works project is being sidetracked due to sightings of a mythical monster

#11    xXHellkittiesXx

xXHellkittiesXx

Extraterrestrial Entity

• PipPipPip
  • 403 posts

• >^.^<

Posted 31 July 2011 - 01:54 AM

Lol, humans...

#12    Ravinar

Ravinar

Psychic Spy

• 1,102 posts
  • Location:some where between the majesty of creation and the void of oblivion

• A truly powerful being needs not destroy.

Posted 31 July 2011 - 10:08 PM

View PostRobbie333, on 29 July 2011 - 03:24 PM, said:

I am sure this is just a legend but somehow I find myself wanting the Maori peoples wish respected.

even if its a load of bull i would much rather the Maori people get there way. why? because any thing that stops a  natural environment from becoming a polluted concrete sh** hole is a good thing in my book!

the human race is at an end and and my soul grows weary. the one thing that could revive it is almost gone and is in no condition to heal me. yet i shall not despair for the light of hope shines even in the greatest darkness. i shall continue to hope.... hope for the days of green and ever lasting love of all things. for those whom think them selfs better shall realize they are not all that is. nor are they in any way better for all life is equal.

#13    Fluffybunny

Fluffybunny

Forum Divinity

• 14,136 posts

• "Of all the tyrannies that affect mankind, tyranny in religion is the worst."
    Thomas Paine

Posted 31 July 2011 - 11:53 PM

View PostRavinar, on 31 July 2011 - 10:08 PM, said:

even if its a load of bull i would much rather the Maori people get there way. why? because any thing that stops a  natural environment from becoming a polluted concrete sh** hole is a good thing in my book!
Does that mean you are giving up your home and moving into a cave? or do concrete pooholes only apply to other people's stuff?

Too many people on both sides of the spectrum have fallen into this mentality that a full one half of the country are the enemy for having different beliefs...in a country based on freedom of expression. It is this infighting that allows the focus to be taken away from "we the people" being able to watch, and have control over government corruption and ineptitude that is running rampant in our leadership.

People should be working towards fixing problems, not creating them.

#14    Ravinar

Ravinar

Psychic Spy

• 1,102 posts
  • Location:some where between the majesty of creation and the void of oblivion

• A truly powerful being needs not destroy.

Posted 01 August 2011 - 02:25 AM

View PostFluffybunny, on 31 July 2011 - 11:53 PM, said:

Does that mean you are giving up your home and moving into a cave? or do concrete pooholes only apply to other people's stuff?

look all i was saying is that I'm against development projects that just plow right through and destroy natural environments. can you really say this development project wont do just that? if you can i will shut my mouth but some how i really doubt that.

the human race is at an end and and my soul grows weary. the one thing that could revive it is almost gone and is in no condition to heal me. yet i shall not despair for the light of hope shines even in the greatest darkness. i shall continue to hope.... hope for the days of green and ever lasting love of all things. for those whom think them selfs better shall realize they are not all that is. nor are they in any way better for all life is equal.

#15    Fluffybunny

Fluffybunny

Forum Divinity

• 14,136 posts

• "Of all the tyrannies that affect mankind, tyranny in religion is the worst."
    Thomas Paine

Posted 01 August 2011 - 04:11 AM

View PostRavinar, on 01 August 2011 - 02:25 AM, said:

look all i was saying is that I'm against development projects that just plow right through and destroy natural environments. can you really say this development project wont do just that? if you can i will shut my mouth but some how i really doubt that.
What was there before your home was built?

Too many people on both sides of the spectrum have fallen into this mentality that a full one half of the country are the enemy for having different beliefs...in a country based on freedom of expression. It is this infighting that allows the focus to be taken away from "we the people" being able to watch, and have control over government corruption and ineptitude that is running rampant in our leadership.

People should be working towards fixing problems, not creating them.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users