Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* - - - - 1 votes

Giant Grasshopper?

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1    star_wars

star_wars

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 283 posts

• The beginning of knowledge is the discovery of something we do not understand. - Frank Herbert

Posted 30 July 2011 - 05:43 PM

So I found this on the net, and I really can't believe that its true.
Posted Image

What do you guys think?

The site says:
32.5 lbs found in Maungawhau NEW ZEALAND
Specie Name:Calecus Grasshopper

The name alone makes it very suspicious.

"The top paranormal resource: News Feed" said:

Posted Image
Paranormal Phenomena, Technology and Science Stories

#2    Emin

Emin

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 552 posts

Posted 30 July 2011 - 08:00 PM

ROFLZ t-rex, anyways nah i've seen that pic before i dun think it's real altho i have seen my fair share of large grasshoppers can't posibly grow that big thats dinosaur times huge lol. The tarantula hawk wasp surprises me i've seen lots of em where i live but never as big as the one depicted in the photo, interesting.

I am an Emin of truth!

#3    shadowsot

shadowsot

Nightstalker

• 9,131 posts

• Oops.

Posted 30 July 2011 - 09:43 PM

Doing a quick check, the largest grasshopper currently is a 4 inch grasshopper in Florida. (Hey, that's around here then!)

I'm not sure one that size could even hop. Square cube law, it'd be just to big and to heavy.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.
-Terry Pratchett

#4    Swede

Swede

Poltergeist

• 2,816 posts

Posted 30 July 2011 - 11:12 PM

star_wars, on 30 July 2011 - 05:43 PM, said:

So I found this on the net, and I really can't believe that its true.
Posted Image

What do you guys think?

The site says:
32.5 lbs found in Maungawhau NEW ZEALAND
Specie Name:Calecus Grasshopper

The name alone makes it very suspicious.

Chuckle! A few points do make this one "rather" suspect:

1) Note sun angle - Sun apparently almost directly to the left of the young gentleman.

2) Note apparent dark shadow just below the pocket opening of the young gentleman's left front pants pocket. Given the trophy grasshopper's perspective placement, may not one expect to see more shadowing of the gentleman's left leg?

3) Photo would appear to be '50's/early '60's vintage. Note belt, amongst other factors.

4) Though shadowed, rifle would appear to be a Winchester Model 94 or variant. Over the years, this rifle was produced in a number of calibers. Though the most well-known and common caliber was the .30-30 (quite suitable for larger game), one of the calibers produced was the rather light-weight .25-20, which was suitable for smaller game.

Doctored rabbit hunt?

Also, as per ShadowSot's contribution, a grasshopper of this dimension would, due to size, suffer from respiratory failure.

The following is quite amusing:

http://www.dochemp.c...rasshopper.html

Edit: Punctuation.

Edited by Swede, 30 July 2011 - 11:58 PM.

#5    Professor Buzzkill

Professor Buzzkill

Integrity is all we have

• 2,980 posts

Posted 30 July 2011 - 11:39 PM

Well, here in NZ we do have rather large bugs. Such as, The Giant Weta which i have been (un)lucky enough to encounter in a walk through old railway tunnels. Im sure it was bigger then the 8" max length quoted in the link. You may remember this bug from the latest king kong movie.

But 32 pounds, thats crazy.

And Swede, that link is hilarious

#6    TwilightSilver

TwilightSilver

Paranormal Investigator

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 800 posts

Posted 30 July 2011 - 11:40 PM

Also a grasshopper of that size would be considerably heavy....he seems to be holding it up effortlessly.

"I'm struggling to say what I want to... but you hurt my brain so much with your nonsense..."

Quote of the week: "When are people going to learn? The rapture is like a health inspection. They don't anounce when they're coming, otherwise you could let things go all year and clean everything up right before they come. The plan is to catch you off guard, so they can see what state things are kept in an on going basis." - ZeddKnite

#7    Swede

Swede

Poltergeist

• 2,816 posts

Posted 30 July 2011 - 11:55 PM

Professor Buzzkill, on 30 July 2011 - 11:39 PM, said:

Well, here in NZ we do have rather large bugs. Such as, The Giant Weta which i have been (un)lucky enough to encounter in a walk through old railway tunnels. Im sure it was bigger then the 8" max length quoted in the link. You may remember this bug from the latest king kong movie.

Glad that you enjoyed the "reference". Not all readers would catch the inside humor!

#8    AmpleFyre

AmpleFyre

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 250 posts

Posted 30 July 2011 - 11:57 PM

Professor Buzzkill, on 30 July 2011 - 11:39 PM, said:

Oooh, I've seen a few of those in my garage and on the road at night a few times. Much smaller though, probably only about an inch.

"All I say is that I think it is damned unlikely that anything like a central cosmic will, a spirit world, or an eternal survival of personality exist. They are the most preposterous and unjustified of all the guesses which can be made about the universe, and I am not enough of a hair-splitter to pretend that I don't regard them as arrant and negligible moonshine. In theory I am an agnostic, but pending the appearance of radical evidence I must be classed, practically and provisionally, as an atheist." ~ H.P. Lovecraft

#9    George Ford

George Ford

Just pretend you didn't see anything

• Banned
  • 3,149 posts

• 'I live in the weak and the wounded... Doc'

Posted 31 July 2011 - 12:47 AM

Swede, on 30 July 2011 - 11:12 PM, said:

Chuckle! A few points do make this one "rather" suspect:

1) Note sun angle - Sun apparently almost directly to the left of the young gentleman.

2) Note apparent dark shadow just below the pocket opening of the young gentleman's left front pants pocket. Given the trophy grasshopper's perspective placement, may not one expect to see more shadowing of the gentleman's left leg?

3) Photo would appear to be '50's/early '60's vintage. Note belt, amongst other factors.

4) Though shadowed, rifle would appear to be a Winchester Model 94 or variant. Over the years, this rifle was produced in a number of calibers. Though the most well-known and common caliber was the .30-30 (quite suitable for larger game), one of the calibers produced was the rather light-weight .25-20, which was suitable for smaller game.

Doctored rabbit hunt?

Also, as per ShadowSot's contribution, a grasshopper of this dimension would, due to size, suffer from respiratory failure.

The following is quite amusing:

http://www.dochemp.c...rasshopper.html

Edit: Punctuation.

Bloody good post mate! I'll go with what this guy says. I mean come on, if they ever got something this big do you not think we would have heard it about now?!?!

And if they did, do you not think you would be able to buy it in McDonalds by now!!!

“Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence” ~ Carl Sagan

#10    Ashotep

Ashotep

Omnipotent Entity

• 9,993 posts

• Courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway-John Wayne

Posted 31 July 2011 - 01:10 AM

Reminds me of those post cards they try to sell the tourists with people holding up unusually large fish or standing by one.

#11    UFO_Monster

UFO_Monster

Poltergeist

• 2,238 posts

• What looks spooky is not always scary. What looks cute is not always cuddly.

Posted 31 July 2011 - 05:23 AM

Hilander, on 31 July 2011 - 01:10 AM, said:

Reminds me of those post cards they try to sell the tourists with people holding up unusually large fish or standing by one.
This is what it reminded me of.

#12    sykopunk

sykopunk

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 15 posts

• Nothing Is True.

Posted 31 July 2011 - 05:33 AM

Its from Weekly World News. An issue from the early 90's or so. God I loved that magazine. So ridiculous.

#13    sykopunk

sykopunk

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 15 posts

• Nothing Is True.

Posted 31 July 2011 - 05:56 AM

April 9 1991 issue actually.

#14    Vance665

Vance665

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 330 posts

Posted 31 July 2011 - 05:17 PM

There is not enough oxygen saturation in the air to support an insect that big. Higher oxygen levels is the only reason insects got as big as they did millions of years ago, it's just not possible with todays atmosphere.

#15    Gatofeo

Gatofeo

Conspiracy Theorist

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 881 posts

• "An ugly cat. Vast desert. Smoke and fire. Flying lead makes holes in parchment. The ugly cat is much amused." --- Gatodamus (1503-1566)

Posted 01 August 2011 - 04:10 AM

The grasshopper's a fake.
But that's a nice pre-war Model 1894 Winchester carbine he's holding. I can tell by the saddle ring on the left receiver.
I suspect this photo was fabricated in the 1950s or 1960s.
Definitely a fabrication.
But if he had a grasshopper that big, it would be good eating. Clean it out, bake it well to kill any parasites, and enjoy the meat that has a potato taste.
Now you know where McDonald's gets all the potatoes for its French fries!  :devil:

My god! How that ghost makes me dread
My attempts to sleep at night, in my bed
All that moaning and groaning
Keep me awake until morning
Oh wait --- it's that couple next door, newly wed!

--- Copyright 2006 by Gatofeo

I support Rehabilitation through Reincarnation!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users