Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Found: World's oldest wood – so far

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1    Still Waters

Still Waters

Deeply Mysterious

• 42,552 posts

• Sometimes it's better to keep the mystery unexplained.

Posted 12 August 2011 - 08:33 PM

www.newscientist.com said:

Two 400-million-year-old fossil plants are the oldest known examples of wood. They are small herbs, suggesting that wood did not evolve to help plants grow tall.

Both fossils date from the early Devonian period, by which time simple plants had long colonised the land and begun diversifying.One was found in France and dates from 407 million years ago, while the other, from Canada, is 397 million years old.

According to lead researcher Philippe Gerrienne of the University of Liθge, Belgium, they predate the previous record-holders by at least 10 million years.

Posted Image Read more...

Posted Image

#2    Ozner

Ozner

Paranormal Investigator

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 839 posts

Posted 12 August 2011 - 09:34 PM

It's strange to think that there was a time when there where no trees.

Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain.

#3    The Dreamer - Hybrid89

The Dreamer - Hybrid89

Extraterrestrial Entity

• PipPipPip
  • 404 posts

• Its not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.

Posted 14 August 2011 - 12:40 PM

I have to agree.

#4    aquatus1

aquatus1

Forum Divinity

• 21,226 posts

Posted 14 August 2011 - 12:49 PM

An entire forest made out of fungi...creepy, except you know that there wouldn't be any animals either...or even bugs...

#5    Abramelin

Abramelin

-

• 18,162 posts
  • Location:"Here the tide is ruled, by the wind, the moon and us."

• God created the world, but the Dutch created the Netherlands

Posted 14 August 2011 - 01:18 PM

View Postaquatus1, on 14 August 2011 - 12:49 PM, said:

An entire forest made out of fungi...creepy, except you know that there wouldn't be any animals either...or even bugs...

Heh, I was thinking about these giant fungi too as soon as I read the OP. But the OP is not about fungi, as you can see from the photo published with the article.

"Trees would not evolve until about 385 million years ago, at which point they began scrambling to grow taller in order to capture more light. Wood was crucial for this, because it made their trunks sturdier."

Well, the next is old news, but it shows fungi (=NOT plants) had no problems growing tall:

Scientists have identified the Godzilla of fungi - a giant, prehistoric fossil that has evaded classification for more than a century.

A chemical analysis has shown that the 6-metre-tall organism with a tree-like trunk was a fungus that became extinct more than 350 million years ago.

Known as Prototaxites, the giant fungus has intrigued scientists, who originally thought it was a conifer. In 2001, Francis Hueber at the National Museum of Natural History in Washington DC, US, first suggested it may be a fungus, based on an analysis of the fossil's internal structure. But he had no conclusive proof.

Posted Image

http://www.newscient...ant-fungus.html

Edited by Abramelin, 14 August 2011 - 01:19 PM.

#6    Swede

Swede

Poltergeist

• 2,703 posts

Posted 14 August 2011 - 01:39 PM

View Postaquatus1, on 14 August 2011 - 12:49 PM, said:

Re: "Bugs". If we are using the circa 400 million yr. figure, it would appear that insects were already present:

http://www.abc.net.a.../12/1043512.htm

http://www.nature.co...ature02291.html

Aged and persistent rascals.

#7    xXHellkittiesXx

xXHellkittiesXx

Extraterrestrial Entity

• PipPipPip
  • 403 posts

• >^.^<

Posted 14 August 2011 - 02:54 PM

Herb?  Smokable herb?  Imagine smoking an 400 million year old herb...I bet they had good stuff back then ;)

#8    j23w

j23w

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 15 August 2011 - 05:38 AM

I am a new christian struggling with their idea of new age earth. These articles fascinate me but wish they would explain how they date things. By what process etc...

#9    The Dreamer - Hybrid89

The Dreamer - Hybrid89

Extraterrestrial Entity

• PipPipPip
  • 404 posts

• Its not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.

Posted 15 August 2011 - 09:10 AM

View Postj23w, on 15 August 2011 - 05:38 AM, said:

I am a new christian struggling with their idea of new age earth. These articles fascinate me but wish they would explain how they date things. By what process etc...

Theres a lot of ways of dating fossils. Although its been a number of years since I did history or even anything close to it, Carbon dating is but one way of dating a fossil as far as I remember. Google 'how do you date fossils' and you'll find what your looking for.

Posted Image

#10    xCrimsonx

xCrimsonx

Resident Vamp

• 5,249 posts

• The Vampire Lair
    http://paranormalborder.net/forum/3002966/
    "All Torque & No Traction"
    "Static - Cold"
    "GF,FO"
    "1"

Posted 15 August 2011 - 11:33 AM

View PostxXHellkittiesXx, on 14 August 2011 - 02:54 PM, said:

Herb?  Smokable herb?  Imagine smoking an 400 million year old herb...I bet they had good stuff back then ;)

LOL Ya'd wanna hope your not allergic to penicillin coz I reckon a 400 million year old herb would be well funky man!

Ya know they say Herbs "etc" where waaaaay better in the sixties ya dont know what ya smoking nowadays!  Posted Image

Edited by xCrimsonx, 15 August 2011 - 11:33 AM.

The Paranormal Border
The Vampire Club18+

http://forum.paranor...order.com/index
Posted Image

#11    xCrimsonx

xCrimsonx

Resident Vamp

• 5,249 posts

• The Vampire Lair
    http://paranormalborder.net/forum/3002966/
    "All Torque & No Traction"
    "Static - Cold"
    "GF,FO"
    "1"

Posted 15 August 2011 - 11:35 AM

View PostHybrid89, on 15 August 2011 - 09:10 AM, said:

Theres a lot of ways of dating fossils. Although its been a number of years since I did history or even anything close to it, Carbon dating is but one way of dating a fossil as far as I remember. Google 'how do you date fossils' and you'll find what your looking for.
Carbon dating only really gives the calculation within a particular time period and not an actual date so to speak! Compared to what they find now, forensically and scientifically we are pretty much on the mark!

The Paranormal Border
The Vampire Club18+

http://forum.paranor...order.com/index
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users