Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Disappearing objects

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1    gufzoo

gufzoo

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 728 posts

• Guffy, The Skeptic Slayer

Posted 13 August 2011 - 06:45 AM

Two nights ago my husband put his wedding ring on his nightstand before going to sleep.  The next morning, the ring is missing.  I helped him search the entire area without luck.  I figured he misplaced it elsewhere.  I left for an evening shift at the hospital figuring it would show up eventually.  Two hours later I get a message from my freaked out husband who walked into the bedroom to find the ring sitting in the middle of the nightstand, as if it had been there the whole time!  We can't explain it.  We had no visitors, we have no pets, he didn't leave during the period between my leaving and his finding it.  He thinks it fell through a tiny wormhole/time warp.  I'm looking for a more rational explanation but I'm coming up empty.  Anyone have any ideas?

KNOWING FISH
One day Chuang Tzu and a friend were walking by a river. "Look at the fish swimming about," said Chuang Tzu, "They are really enjoying themselves."
"You are not a fish," replied the friend, "So you can't truly know that they are enjoying themselves."
"You are not me," said Chuang Tzu. "So how do you know that I do not know that the fish are enjoying themselves?"

#2    Kyle Richard M.

Kyle Richard M.

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 62 posts

Posted 13 August 2011 - 07:02 AM

I think his explanation is the most logical one........ :P

#3    Habitat

Habitat

Government Agent

• 3,387 posts

Posted 13 August 2011 - 08:45 AM

View Postgufzoo, on 13 August 2011 - 06:45 AM, said:

He thinks it fell through a tiny wormhole/time warp.  

He doesn't like mundane explanations, does he ?  :P

#4    Jello

Jello

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 101 posts

Posted 15 August 2011 - 11:57 PM

I have these kinds of things happen to me all the time! I've learned that the only way I can find them is to leave, forget about it, and return to find it where I most likely searched before in plain sight. I've talked to other people about it. Some say that it's fairies and elves just messing with us and others have told me that sometimes we just overlook things in plain sight.

Links rechts gradeaus du bist im Labyrinth

#5    pinupgirl

pinupgirl

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 180 posts

Posted 16 August 2011 - 02:41 AM

I was told that sometimes spirits will move objects..make them disappear and then reappear to let us know that they are watching over us...Also drive us crazy!!LOL!!! :P

#6    icecream

icecream

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 16 August 2011 - 04:19 AM

Glad to hear that your husband got his ring back.

This seems to be a fairly frequent phenomenon. But there doesn't seem to be any proper research.

Here are two similar experiences:

A family member and her partner were quietly watching TV and a large glass bowl on the coffee table simply disappeared, melted away in front of their eyes as they watched dumbfounded. It never came back. These people are teetotallers and not on drugs etc.

I was clearing out a cupboard and moving a pair of kids football boots from a top shelf. One boot fell as I lifted them. The boot never fell to the floor (as I expected of course) and I never found it. I can only say that it dematerialised into thin air. Again, no drugs, mental problems, alcohol etc. It happened just as I've described.

I'm wary of exotic explanations, but you have to wonder...

#7    Xpeople

Xpeople

Extraterrestrial Entity

• PipPipPip
  • 443 posts

Posted 16 August 2011 - 05:14 AM

View Postgufzoo, on 13 August 2011 - 06:45 AM, said:

Two nights ago my husband put his wedding ring on his nightstand before going to sleep.  The next morning, the ring is missing.  I helped him search the entire area without luck.  I figured he misplaced it elsewhere.  I left for an evening shift at the hospital figuring it would show up eventually.  Two hours later I get a message from my freaked out husband who walked into the bedroom to find the ring sitting in the middle of the nightstand, as if it had been there the whole time!  We can't explain it.  We had no visitors, we have no pets, he didn't leave during the period between my leaving and his finding it.  He thinks it fell through a tiny wormhole/time warp.  I'm looking for a more rational explanation but I'm coming up empty.  Anyone have any ideas?
Could it be that you just block it for your head?

#8    Lady Unicorn

Lady Unicorn

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 16 August 2011 - 11:27 PM

Hi Everyone,

I have experienced missing objects in my home, as well as other places where I lived. Objects have been disappearing in my home for the last 14 years. Some of the objects reappear at different places the apartment.

The first thing that I noticed on the second day of where I moved into my Toronto apartment in 1998, I noticed my cup where I put my toothbrush disappeared. I asked 1 of my 2 roommates if he took it, and he said "No." Then in about few days later it reappeared. Then my perfume disappeared, and then reappeared again. My pepper shaker in the kitchen disappeared, then reappeared.

Then later in the years, my bank card disappeared, my video tapes, jewellery box (but not the contents of the box), my books, my portfolio that I handed in for university admission, my quaters for laundry, my rain jacket, my boots, and now recently that was missing in June 2011 is one of my photo albums in apartment which I moved in in 2007.

The strange thing is that I once cleaned up my room to make sure I know where everything is in place. I left my wallet to make sure I won't lose it because my bank card was missing about 4 times. So I left it at home in front of my bed, and then when I came home late at night, I noticed it wasn't there. Then I said to myself that it will come back one day. I went to sleep and dreamt of a man, who looked like a spirit - a transluscent body - returned my wallet in front of my bed. I woke up the next morning and looked in front of my bed, and it was there. So I believe some bad spirit is doing this to me.

When my grandmother passed away, I found a silver ribbon pinned to my black suit jacket in my closet.

I'm upset that my photo album disappeared. I'm really sad about that.

Well, that is my take on it.

Keyhearts.

#9    F2army

F2army

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 20 August 2011 - 11:22 AM

Hi! I have had one experience like you guys, and one something other than DOP (Disappearing Object Phenomenon)..

Case 1: the first one, 1-2 months ago:
my dad and I were out shopping stuff for the apartment which was being freshed up so that it could be rent to other people. getting out of the shop we go to our car. my dad is back in the trunk putting stuff in there, whilst I walk to the front of the car (right side) to get in on my side. i can see the door is locked and i even tried opening it, just to check it was locked (lol). i turn around, go back to the back of the car, and ask my dad if he could not go open up for me. he's too much into what he's doing so he didnt pay much attention. i turn around to see the door i earlier tried to open, was now wide open, stood there quietly, there was no movement in the door.. it just stood there, open.. this happened when i turned my back to the door, and like 10 sec later turned around again. there was no sound AT ALL. it was like magic... normally when u open door, it bumps back and fourth just a little. none of that either. that was weird.. i was like: "ok, ill just go in.. wtf was that.. someone trying to get my attention? or tell me that someone is watching, or the fact that the door opened, that something is here to help me?".....

Case 2: this happened today.. but began yesterday:
ok, so i got three towels i keep at the same time all the time.. 2 for showering.. and 1 for the gym (which i hang up after gym, to dry it). the 2 for shower hang on the left door of my closet, the gym towel on the right door. yesterday, late on the day, i randomly noticed that the gym towel were suddenly gone.. i looked for it.. my room and little outside my room.. nothing. i wondered maybe my sis had thrown it in the washer thing.. but i'd doubt she'd do that.. why would she? same goes for my dad.. and i know they dont mess with my stuff.. i dont mess with theirs.. i stopped looking around for it, cause it was no big deal, i just had to get a new one later when packing my gym bag. so i forgot about that, and the day went on. next morning (today) i get up and get rdy to take a shower. now i notice that the gym towel is back.. this was when i got aware of this. i knew it was gone yesterday, and that now its back. but then i saw that one of the towels on the left door (for showering) was gone. so i left that behind me, and just took the gym towel as replacement.. and went to shower. at this moment, leaving the room to shower, both doors had no towels on them. and i carried two of them.

after the shower, i get in my room, get some clothes on.. then i hang up those two towels i used, on the left door. there was no towel on the right door. after checking my mail and little other things on my pc, i went downstairs to get something to eat. when i get up, i noticed that a towel was hanging on my right closet door. my sis was watching tv downstairs and my dad was taking a shower in the bathroom downstairs, so could not have been them.

i looked this up, and found out its DOP. i ruled out those pshychological things that might be the cause, such as temp. blindness - that u just oversees it.. - cause i touched the towels and all that, so i ruled out that..

this was the article i read after the event: http://paranormal.ab...-Phenomenon.htm (i read both pages)

hope this post wasnt too confusing.. xD

F2army :)

#10    pixiii

pixiii

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,039 posts

• Patefacio vestri mens quod praesumo somnio...
    Open your mind and dare to dream...

Posted 20 August 2011 - 01:29 PM

This thread is really interesting.  I've never heard of this phenomenon before, or I guess I've just put (my own) lost objects down to misplacing it or the kids have moved it etc etc.  

Thanks for sharing your experiences by the way. :)

#11    Hideout

Hideout

Extraterrestrial Entity

• PipPipPip
  • 383 posts

• A man should look for what is, and not for what he thinks should be.
    -Albert Einstein

Posted 20 August 2011 - 01:31 PM

Obviously it was trolls.

To those who do not know mathematics it is difficult to get across a real feeling as to the beauty, the deepest beauty, of nature ... If you want to learn about nature, to appreciate nature, it is necessary to understand the language that she speaks in.
--Richard Feynman

#12    Five

Five

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 20 August 2011 - 08:14 PM

It's a poltergeist/spirit that was messing with you. They like doing that a lot. I know it sounds strange, but if this happens again you can.. scold it. Yes, like you would a child. Out loud and seriously, to make it known that you don't appreciate that type of humor. If that's too strange for you to do, then just wait and see what else happens. Although I don't guarantee that things won't spiral out of control as they tend to when you tolerate this type of thing.

#13    F2army

F2army

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 21 August 2011 - 08:53 PM

View PostFive, on 20 August 2011 - 08:14 PM, said:

It's a poltergeist/spirit that was messing with you. They like doing that a lot. I know it sounds strange, but if this happens again you can.. scold it. Yes, like you would a child. Out loud and seriously, to make it known that you don't appreciate that type of humor. If that's too strange for you to do, then just wait and see what else happens. Although I don't guarantee that things won't spiral out of control as they tend to when you tolerate this type of thing.

kk ty for the heads-up.. was kinda paranoid the day it happened, but feeling better now haha :) ill try scolding if it happens again.. just to have done something at least xD hehe

#14    Xpeople

Xpeople

Extraterrestrial Entity

• PipPipPip
  • 443 posts

Posted 22 August 2011 - 11:43 AM

View Postpinupgirl, on 16 August 2011 - 02:41 AM, said:

I was told that sometimes spirits will move objects..make them disappear and then reappear to let us know that they are watching over us...Also drive us crazy!!LOL!!! :P

Spys have a habit of going this, too.  They just want you know they are there. ;)

#15    Mutagen

Mutagen

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 22 posts

• Who run Barter Town?

Posted 23 August 2011 - 07:30 AM

I get this a lot. I blame fairies. Stupid trolls with wings.

Nothing is true, everything is permitted.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users