Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * - - 2 votes

New to ouija

• Please log in to reply
118 replies to this topic

#31    Pestarzt

Pestarzt

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Banned
  • Pip
  • 230 posts

Posted 20 August 2011 - 01:27 AM

View PostBrian Topp, on 19 August 2011 - 10:23 PM, said:

I did and it sounds utter closed minded with no actual evidence to discredit the ideomotor effect.

You have trouble with comprehension. I am not here to teach remedials. I am not denying the existence of ideomotor effect in other scenarios.

I don't need to show evidence of the ideomotor effect with regard to the ouija board because it doesn't exist and this is the important bit... i will even highlight it for you incase you fail to comprehend again.. the OUIJA BOARD.

The original post was should the person dabble with the Ouija board?. I offered my advice from my experiences and described how little one has touch the pointer. ie the lightest of touches and the pointer appears to have suction applied to it in the downward direction. The amount of force on the pointer is not relative to the motion that is shown. This is a fact. It is not "closed mind". Nice trolling BTW.

Absolutely ridiculous. The amount of bad advice and pure ignorance shown here sometimes is astounding!

Don't bother to counter my reply "Brian Topp" i really have nothing else pleasant to say to you.

#32    Pestarzt

Pestarzt

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Banned
  • Pip
  • 230 posts

Posted 20 August 2011 - 01:31 AM

View Postbeenieman, on 20 August 2011 - 12:16 AM, said:

I would love to discredit the ideomotor effect!! I created a thread not too long ago on here asking anyone who believes in the ideomotor effect to accept my challenge. I will bring up the post again. What I'm mainly looking for was for someone to get a ouija board or make one. If you have a web cam then we can go live. I will ask you 25 random questions and I want you to use the ideomotor effect to get the answers out of you subconscious and on to the ouija board.  The ideomotor effect states that people get the answers to questions through their subconscious and those answers trickle down to their fingertips and spell out the answers to the questions correctly. Surely, if that's the case then you can demonstrate the ideomotor effect live and direct as I ask you 25 random questions and you will get the 25 answers from your subconscious to your fingertips and onto the ouija board. Are you up for the challenge or do you have any other stipulations for this test??? :innocent:

Sounds great in theory Beenieman and i would watch the video. The problem lies with the fact that people would say that the sitters were moving the pointer deliberately by themselves.

It's just not worth it for various reasons as been said.

#33    Biff Wellington

Biff Wellington

Poltergeist

• Banned
  • 2,865 posts

Posted 20 August 2011 - 02:45 AM

View PostBrian Topp, on 19 August 2011 - 05:04 AM, said:

Yes, Darn that new fangled science where it explains how oujia boards function, I don't stand for that they can prove by doing tests with almost identical results on Ideomotor effects. No, let's stick to setting "witches" on fire and using leeches to heal our wounds!

Just for the record, they still use leeches in american medicine. Doctors saved a mans hand from needing amputation after a farming equipment accident. They used the leeches to get blood circulating through his hand again. I believe I saw it on NatGeo or possibly the science channel

#34    Pestarzt

Pestarzt

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Banned
  • Pip
  • 230 posts

Posted 20 August 2011 - 04:49 PM

View PostDodir_Svile, on 20 August 2011 - 08:53 AM, said:

Oh, for Christ's sakes people, it's a piece of cardboard.  :sleepy:  Idiomotor effect plus people who are easily scared produce ghosts.
Just have fun and report back ;)

No. Not the case at all.

#35    Paranormalcy

Paranormalcy

Interterrestrial Being

• 5,654 posts

• "Friday, Friday, gotta get down on Friday."

Posted 20 August 2011 - 11:55 PM

People need to straighten up and return to a civil manner of dealing with one another in this thread. This can be discussed, even with passion, without casting aspersions about, and UM expects its members to do that, because this is a family-friendly, helpful and cooperate forum where everyone is looking for answers, and to share and compare their own experiences, so let us all try to remain friendly, please.

As I posted in another thread (well, recently - I've posted in many of these threads), and as my signature states, I've used the Ouija board many times, and thus far my conclusion is my experiences have been due to the ideomotor effect.

| Ouija/Ideomotor | Sleep Paralys./Hypnogogia | Ouija: 252 hrs/4yrs

#36    johnkim

johnkim

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 27 posts

Posted 21 August 2011 - 01:46 AM

View PostBiffWellington, on 18 August 2011 - 06:24 PM, said:

That's what I say! I did however answer my 1st question last night... drum roll please... total garbage!!! They just give you the same set answers designed to scare the "intellectually challenged".

Online Ouija board is useless. I'm a programmer and I've made something similar like Tarot card reader. What you see is simply predetermined by the logic written by the programmer.

#37    johnkim

johnkim

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 27 posts

Posted 21 August 2011 - 01:50 AM

View PostDeacon_Fall, on 19 August 2011 - 03:31 AM, said:

Hmmmm, i wouldn't mess with that sort of stuff.
I'm not a firm believer in the occult, and i dont 100% believe in spirits (50/50)
But why take the risk?

That's my position. If Ouija is real and I mess with it, I lose big. If Ouija is fake but I did not mess with it, I don't lose anything.

Take your pick.

#38    nyuk

nyuk

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 731 posts

Posted 21 August 2011 - 02:41 AM

View Postclyde barrow, on 18 August 2011 - 05:44 PM, said:

If you do get one, promise your wife that you're keeping it outside. But secretly hide it in different areas inside the house.

Tell her it must be the demons moving it around.

Ha ha, this just totally cracked me up  :w00t:
But seriously, dont do it.
Just have a scan through what happened to obsessive before you go any further down this path.
Theres another post bit further down same thread.
Read em
Think bout em
Think again

They are on the zozo ouiga board thread

#39    Long_Gone

Long_Gone

Extraterrestrial Entity

• PipPipPip
  • 430 posts

Posted 21 August 2011 - 01:26 PM

View PostPestarzt, on 19 August 2011 - 09:58 PM, said:

If you knock enough doors one will open. Please don't though for your sake.

And a board game I bought online is one of the doors?

#40    Regency

Regency

Poltergeist

• 2,848 posts

• I come fully equipped with a papoose. If you need to move me around I slot in the back like a peanut.

Posted 21 August 2011 - 01:32 PM

View PostOver-Kill, on 21 August 2011 - 01:26 PM, said:

And a board game I bought online is one of the doors?

who knows, don't do it.  If there is the possibility of a board game being potentially harmful in any way, why even bother? I haven't read the whole of this thread but, if I were you, I wouldn't do it.

#41    Long_Gone

Long_Gone

Extraterrestrial Entity

• PipPipPip
  • 430 posts

Posted 21 August 2011 - 01:58 PM

View PostRegency, on 21 August 2011 - 01:32 PM, said:

who knows, don't do it.  If there is the possibility of a board game being potentially harmful in any way, why even bother? I haven't read the whole of this thread but, if I were you, I wouldn't do it.

I've done it before, that's why I brought it up. It's from HASBRO and people claim to have had supernatural experiences with the same board, and it glows in the dark too, I got it from Amazon. Nothing ever happened to me, I've tried it with my friend too, he didn't want to get involved at first, but I insisted. He didn't experience anything that could paranormal, just spooked himself out a few times. It's still in my basement somewhere. I'm perfectly fine, nothing ever happened. No bad luck, no spirits, nothing.

I'm not saying paranormal doesn't exist, and If there is a way to contact spirits/ghosts or invite paranormal stuff into your life, A plastic board game just doesn't seem to be the way to me.

#42    Brian Topp

Brian Topp

Dynamic Interactions Coordinator Of Paradoxes.

• 3,025 posts

• My youtube channel, Has horror stories and skits.
    https://www.youtube.com/user/TheCreepyCorridor

Posted 21 August 2011 - 04:45 PM

View PostPestarzt, on 20 August 2011 - 01:27 AM, said:

You have trouble with comprehension. I am not here to teach remedials. I am not denying the existence of ideomotor effect in other scenarios.

I don't need to show evidence of the ideomotor effect with regard to the ouija board because it doesn't exist and this is the important bit... i will even highlight it for you incase you fail to comprehend again.. the OUIJA BOARD.

The original post was should the person dabble with the Ouija board?. I offered my advice from my experiences and described how little one has touch the pointer. ie the lightest of touches and the pointer appears to have suction applied to it in the downward direction. The amount of force on the pointer is not relative to the motion that is shown. This is a fact. It is not "closed mind". Nice trolling BTW.

Absolutely ridiculous. The amount of bad advice and pure ignorance shown here sometimes is astounding!

Don't bother to counter my reply "Brian Topp" i really have nothing else pleasant to say to you.

I am sorry I hurt your feelings while you are doing the "I am not listening to you lalala" technique and also counter arguing by saying no, you are wrong and i am right. It isn't trolling it's just science got it's hand in the pot on this piece of cardboard fantasy.

It is easier to claim it is paranormal than taking the hard route and find out what really happened.

#43    ascend

ascend

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 21 August 2011 - 07:33 PM

The ideomotor effect is solid science... But it can ofcourse be used as the means of temporarily 'controlling' a person to move ones hand over the letters that the conciousness that is trying to communicate with you, wants you to see....... And the ideomotor effect certainly can not account for people starting to laugh inexplicably, and uncontrollably, and having seisure like fits, or answering questions thought of by other people present.... There is just too much that can not be fully explained by science, about ouija board communications, other than THE TRUTH.... And as human beings we should stop being ignorant about things we do not understand....(yet) Because that limits our understanding.... And to study something scientifically, we can not just assume that some factors just don't exist.... That is not science......

#44    Layna

Layna

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 32 posts

Posted 21 August 2011 - 08:28 PM

View PostBrian Topp, on 19 August 2011 - 05:04 AM, said:

Yes, Darn that new fangled science where it explains how oujia boards function, I don't stand for that they can prove by doing tests with almost identical results on Ideomotor effects. No, let's stick to setting "witches" on fire and using leeches to heal our wounds!

While I appreciate your tongue in cheek humor, there are definitely questions that I have pertaining to exactly how the Ideomotor effect works:

1.  How does it apply to 2 separate people using the same board simultaneously?
2.  How is it that hundreds of people experience the exact same responses from the board (ie: zozo) -- at different times/dates, in different countries and in different languages?  Example:  My experience happened in the mid 90s, before the mass use of the Internet.  Yet, 15 years later, here I am reading eerily similar stories.

I am definitely not saying 'it must be spirits' -- HOWEVER, I AM saying that the answers to these questions, as far as I have seen, are not answered with the Ideomotor Effect alone.

For me....there has GOT to be something more.....

A mythological order is a system of images that gives consciousness a sense of meaning in existence, which, my dear friend, has no meaning—it simply is. But the mind goes asking for meanings; it can’t play unless it knows (or makes up) some system of rules. ~ Joseph Campbell

Allow me to lend a machete to your intellectual thicket. ~ Captain Jack Sparrow

#45    Pestarzt

Pestarzt

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Banned
  • Pip
  • 230 posts

Posted 21 August 2011 - 08:48 PM

View Postascend, on 21 August 2011 - 07:33 PM, said:

The ideomotor effect is solid science... But it can ofcourse be used as the means of temporarily 'controlling' a person to move ones hand over the letters that the conciousness that is trying to communicate with you, wants you to see....... And the ideomotor effect certainly can not account for people starting to laugh inexplicably, and uncontrollably, and having seisure like fits, or answering questions thought of by other people present.... There is just too much that can not be fully explained by science, about ouija board communications, other than THE TRUTH.... And as human beings we should stop being ignorant about things we do not understand....(yet) Because that limits our understanding.... And to study something scientifically, we can not just assume that some factors just don't exist.... That is not science......

Yes solid science but not pertaining to the Ouija board. Thanks anyway.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users