Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * - - 1 votes

House of Leaves

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1    Average Fallacy

Average Fallacy

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 136 posts

• "And in that moment, I swear we were infinite." - The Perks of Being a Wallflower

Posted 08 September 2011 - 12:38 AM

*Typo in title. It's House of Leaves

Okay, so this book is one that is often labeled as "horror" and rightfully so at some points. House of Leaves contains two things: the transcription of a dead blind man's work and the "journal" of a man's journey into madness. Has anyone else read this novel and if so, what do you think of it? Overrated or underrated? Also, which edition did you read? I read the full color edition, which included all of the released bonus material, like the letters written to Truant by his mother that was institutionalized. Very interesting and eerie read.

Edited by Average Fallacy, 08 September 2011 - 12:38 AM.

Excuse me, you're standing on my neck.

#2    Still Waters

Still Waters

Deeply Mysterious

• 38,590 posts

• "Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better." - Albert Einstein

Posted 08 September 2011 - 03:24 PM

View PostAverage Fallacy, on 08 September 2011 - 12:38 AM, said:

*Typo in title. It's House of Leaves
Fixed  :)

Posted Image

#3    shrewgoddess

shrewgoddess

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 118 posts

Posted 14 September 2011 - 03:23 PM

I love, love, LOVE this book. It's one that always inspires me to write afterwards.

I'd disagree that it only contains two stories, though. It follows three - the story of the photographer, his house and his family; the blind man's journals; and the narrator's descent into madness. But the stories, oddly enough, aren't at all separate. I don't know many people who have read it and I haven't read too many reviews so I really can't know if it's overrated or underrated. It's definitely not a book that just anybody can read, however. I think it's one of those that takes a rare, special person to fully appreciate. I, too, read the full color version that my boyfriend at the time bought for me. :) We bond over that book even now that we've broken up.

#4    Average Fallacy

Average Fallacy

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 136 posts

• "And in that moment, I swear we were infinite." - The Perks of Being a Wallflower

Posted 28 September 2011 - 04:41 AM

But Zampano's writings was the story of the photographer and his family in that house. So, I think that those things can be grouped together.

Regardless, House of Leaves really is a stunning book, and a fantastic example of typography. Not enough authors that their art to that level and what was done with House of Leaves was very impressive. It gave the book a disjointed, eerie sort of feel. I adore it on a visual aspect, as it's easy to do, but from a literary stand point, the voices of the characters is poignant and the writing is eloquent and believable. It's definitely one of my favorite novels.

Excuse me, you're standing on my neck.

#5    Yinarchy

Yinarchy

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 134 posts

• Matriarch of the Erie

Posted 01 October 2011 - 05:30 PM

I read it years ago. Thought it was genius. Forgotten about it until now.  Thanks for reminding me.

#6    tapirmusic

tapirmusic

Astral Projection

• Closed
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 643 posts

Posted 01 October 2011 - 09:03 PM

If you liked this book, you should also check out "Raw Shark Texts" by Steven Hall.
It's not as disorienting as House of Leaves, but it's somewhat similar, and a great creative and original story..

cheers!

#7    shrewgoddess

shrewgoddess

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 118 posts

Posted 03 October 2011 - 04:30 AM

Thanks! I'll look into that!

#8    Catti-Brie

Catti-Brie

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 25 posts

• I am a loose piece of the universe that has become aware momentarily.

Posted 28 December 2012 - 05:33 PM

Loved 'Houseof Leaves' especially the Navidson Record parts. I still have dreams that start with being in "The Five and a Half Minute Hallway" and the corridors and rooms keep changing.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users