Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

The women of Afghanistan

• Please log in to reply
47 replies to this topic

#16    Seraphina

Seraphina

Voted Best Member 2005

• 7,133 posts

• Everyone likes a smouldering and sexy glare from a diminutive scientist.

Posted 04 September 2004 - 05:25 PM

You know, sometimes I think that things could be done to educate these people....sometimes I lose all hope. Currently, I'm in the kind of mood where I've lost all hope disgust.gif

It's been said before, and it'll be said again....as a culture, much of the middle east is literally one thousand years behind us. In their way of thinking and their way of living, many of them are at the same level we were during the crusades...the luxury of modern technology doesn't change what's making them tick.

I'm sure you can change the minds of some people...but you can't bring an entire cultural belief leaping up to join the rest of us in something remotely resembling civilisation.

Posted Image

Apparantly, over on Exchristian.Net, they say that I'm "probably the smartest person" on UM....that is so cool...

#17    Fluffybunny

Fluffybunny

Forum Divinity

• 14,136 posts

• "Of all the tyrannies that affect mankind, tyranny in religion is the worst."
    Thomas Paine

Posted 04 September 2004 - 05:30 PM

QUOTE(LittleIrishVampiress @ Sep 4 2004, 10:21 AM)
is there nothing that can be done to stop the way these human beings are being treated???? huh.gif

View Post

Ban religion all over the world?

Too many people on both sides of the spectrum have fallen into this mentality that a full one half of the country are the enemy for having different beliefs...in a country based on freedom of expression. It is this infighting that allows the focus to be taken away from "we the people" being able to watch, and have control over government corruption and ineptitude that is running rampant in our leadership.

People should be working towards fixing problems, not creating them.

#18    LoPar

LoPar

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 75 posts

Posted 04 September 2004 - 05:32 PM

QUOTE(LittleIrishVampiress @ Sep 4 2004, 02:21 PM)
is there nothing that can be done to stop the way these human beings are being treated???? huh.gif

View Post

Unfortunately it may take several more of what happened in Russia.  Maybe these types of things need to happen in more countries to increase the resolve to do away with terrorism. sad.gif

#19    LittleIrishVampiress

LittleIrishVampiress

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,218 posts

• What you seek above, sow below.

Posted 04 September 2004 - 05:36 PM

QUOTE(Fluffybunny @ Sep 4 2004, 06:30 PM)
QUOTE(LittleIrishVampiress @ Sep 4 2004, 10:21 AM)

View Post

Ban religion all over the world?

View Post

or maybe just theirs.. whistling2.gif

"I have never listened to anyone who criticized my taste in space travel, sideshows or gorillas. When this occurs, I pack up my dinosaurs and leave the room."                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                               - Ray Bradbury,  Zen in the Art of Writing

#20    Babs

Babs

Alien Abducter

• 4,663 posts

• "Truth will first be ridiculed, then violently opposed, and finally accepted as self-evident" A. Schopenhauer 1788-1860

Posted 04 September 2004 - 05:41 PM

QUOTE(Fluffybunny @ Sep 4 2004, 12:11 PM)
Babs, I understand that terrorism is something that needs to be dealt with and is horrible. It appears that your preoccupation with terrorism is bordering on an obsession...

Terrorists are not going to take over america.

View Post

That last statement is the most idiotic statement you've ever made. sad.gif It's thinking like that here in America that will get us into BIG TROUBLE.

Open your eyes, Fluffy! (This is why I am against Kerry and all you european thinkers. We are in big trouble if we go this route of thinking).

Edited by Babs, 04 September 2004 - 05:44 PM.

"The mass of men lead lives of quiet desperation"

Henry David Thoreau...

#21    LoPar

LoPar

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 75 posts

Posted 04 September 2004 - 05:42 PM

QUOTE(Babs @ Sep 4 2004, 02:41 PM)
QUOTE(Fluffybunny @ Sep 4 2004, 12:11 PM)
Babs, I understand that terrorism is something that needs to be dealt with and is horrible. It appears that your preoccupation with terrorism is bordering on an obsession...

Terrorists are not going to take over america.

View Post

That last statement is the most idiotic statement you've ever made. sad.gif It's thinking like that here in America that will get us into BIG TROUBLE.

Open your eyes, Fluffy!

View Post

This was the tihinking that led to 9/11!! ohmy.gif

#22    Seraphina

Seraphina

Voted Best Member 2005

• 7,133 posts

Posted 04 September 2004 - 05:45 PM

It's thinking like that here in America that will get us into BIG TROUBLE.

I think you'll find what's gotten America, and the rest of the world, into big trouble is Bush's amazing master plan to stir the pot....

Fluffy's right...being paraniod and seeing a terrorist on every street corner isn't going to help matters. The US is never going to be, and never has been, in danger of being taken over and turned into a gigantic Islamic state.

Posted Image

Apparantly, over on Exchristian.Net, they say that I'm "probably the smartest person" on UM....that is so cool...

#23    Babs

Babs

Alien Abducter

• 4,663 posts

• "Truth will first be ridiculed, then violently opposed, and finally accepted as self-evident" A. Schopenhauer 1788-1860

Posted 04 September 2004 - 05:46 PM

Yes, this is why I am against Kerry and all you european thinkers. If we go this route of thinking, we are in big trouble.

This is exactly what I am getting at, Sera, stop hiding your head in the sand...we are all afraid.  crying.gif Are you going to let your fear paralyze you, so that you can't fight?...or won't?

Edited by Babs, 04 September 2004 - 05:50 PM.

Henry David Thoreau...

#24    Seraphina

Seraphina

Voted Best Member 2005

• 7,133 posts

Posted 04 September 2004 - 05:50 PM

You know Babs, I'm absolutely terrified that it's people like you who are going to decide who becomes the most powerful man in the world...

People who jump at their own shadow, and operate under the belief that terrorists are on their doorstep, and that they should rush into war to fight the Islamic world.

People who are more concerned with sound bites and party lines than facts or even simple logic.

People who will lookat what a crap hole your country is being turned into by its current leader, and still shout "Bush 2004".

I stand absolutely amazed at you Babs, and people like you....just...no words, seriously.

Posted Image

#25    Babs

Babs

Alien Abducter

• 4,663 posts

Posted 04 September 2004 - 05:54 PM

I give up on you...you are a coward.

Henry David Thoreau...

#26    Fluffybunny

Fluffybunny

Forum Divinity

• 14,136 posts

Thomas Paine

Posted 04 September 2004 - 05:55 PM

Who are you calling a coward?

Too many people on both sides of the spectrum have fallen into this mentality that a full one half of the country are the enemy for having different beliefs...in a country based on freedom of expression. It is this infighting that allows the focus to be taken away from "we the people" being able to watch, and have control over government corruption and ineptitude that is running rampant in our leadership.

#27    Seraphina

Seraphina

Voted Best Member 2005

• 7,133 posts

Posted 04 September 2004 - 05:58 PM

As opposed to your President, who ran away with his tail between his legs when 9/11 occured? Or who used his father's contacts to get him out of serving in Nam, and then never even turned up for duty?

One of us has their heads in the sand, and it's not me.

There's a difference between cowardice, and being rational. The US has embarked upon expensive, needless, and volatile operations in the middle east; it has created anger, martyrs, and thrown that part of the world into absolute chaos, all the while allowing matters at home to stagnate and rot.

That's not bravery, it's stupidity.

I'm all for making a stand against terrorism...I believe they're scum, and quite frankly should be captured, tortured for any information they have, and killed. But I believe there's a method to doing it, and I don't believe using a broadsword to cut out a tumour because you're too afraid to control yourself is the most effective way to cure a patient.

Posted Image

#28    snuffypuffer

snuffypuffer

Dandy Fop

• 11,038 posts

• Let's get happy!

Posted 04 September 2004 - 06:04 PM

QUOTE(Babs @ Sep 4 2004, 06:54 PM)
I give up on you...you are a coward.

View Post

Exactly how, is anything Sera or Fluffy has said in any way cowardly?  Babs, you are the one who's obsessed with terrorism, seeing an attack around every corner.  I think you're the one sticking your head in the sand and refusing to use your own mind and see what's actually going on in the world.  

Why don't you quit letting other people choose your opinions for you and then get back to us?

Thanks.

Nothing to see here.

#29    Fluffybunny

Fluffybunny

Forum Divinity

• 14,136 posts

Thomas Paine

Posted 04 September 2004 - 06:05 PM

What exactly is a european thinker babs?

#30    snuffypuffer

snuffypuffer

Dandy Fop

• 11,038 posts

• Let's get happy!

Posted 04 September 2004 - 06:08 PM

We are basically a European country, Babs.  We were founded by Europeans, our Constitution is based on the Magna Carta, which is a, wait for it, European document, and I'm willing to bet good money that your ancestors are, golly gee whiz, Europeans.  Get over yourself, get off the flag waving bandwagon, and actually take a look around.  It'll do you good.

Nothing to see here.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users