Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Why the Anti-Science Creationist Movement Is

• Please log in to reply
90 replies to this topic

#1    THE MATRIX

THE MATRIX

Poltergeist

• Closed
  • 2,304 posts

Posted 12 September 2011 - 09:37 PM

My link

They want to wipe out all the findings of hundreds of years of scientific investigation and have taken to schools, the courts and political leaders to get things done.

A few weeks ago, Jon Huntsman torpedoed his candidacy for the Republican presidential nomination by making the following announcement: "To be clear. I believe in evolution and trust scientists on global warming. Call me crazy."

It's a pathetic commentary on the anti-intellectualism rampant in American politics that this is newsworthy. A major-party candidate announces that he doesn't deny a foundational theory of modern science! In fact, given the political atmosphere in the Republican party, it's not just newsworthy but a daring act: polls have shown that almost 70 percent of Republicans deny evolution.

Huntsman is clearly trying to position himself as the moderate candidate. But while that strategy might play well in the general election, it won't do him any good unless he can get the Republican nomination. And to win that nomination, he has to get past a huge obstacle: a solid bloc of Republican primary voters who are emphatically anti-science. This isn't an exaggeration for polemical effect; it's the plain truth. The modern Republican party has made a fervent rejection of scientific consensus its defining attribute -- both on evolution and climate change, as well as in other fields -- and Huntsman's refusal to submit to party orthodoxy is likely a fatal blow to his chances.

But opposition to climate change is something new in the Republican platform. As recently as a few years ago, both Mitt Romney and John McCain supported cap-and-trade laws, and Newt Gingrich appeared in pro-environment ads with Nancy Pelosi. The party's rejection of climate science is fairly new, and probably comes from its increasing dependence on campaign cash from dirty-energy barons like the Koch brothers.

By contrast, the Republican party's denial of evolution is much older and more grassroots in nature, dating at least to when the national parties traded places during the civil-rights era. The conservative South, in addition to its other charming qualities, has a long history of passing laws hostile to science, from Tennessee's Butler Act, the 1925 law prohibiting the teaching of evolution that led to the Scopes trial, to Louisiana's 1981 Balanced Treatment Act, which decreed that "creation science" had to be given an equal share of classroom time.

#2    Rafterman

Rafterman

Telekinetic

• 6,791 posts

Posted 12 September 2011 - 11:48 PM

So basically just your usual anti-Republican rantings?  There are a lot of Democrats who believe in Creationsism you know.

"You can't have freedom of religion without having freedom from the religious beliefs of other people."

#3    David Benjamin

David Benjamin

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 21 posts

Posted 13 September 2011 - 06:11 AM

Right wing and left wing politicians ARE THE SAME **EDIT** in the United States of America. They are both right wing capitalist pigs.

**The profanity filters are there for a reason, David.**

Edited by aquatus1, 13 September 2011 - 11:56 AM.

#4    Blood_Sacrifice

Blood_Sacrifice

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 704 posts

Posted 13 September 2011 - 11:31 AM

View PostRafterman, on 12 September 2011 - 11:48 PM, said:

There are a lot of Democrats who believe in Creationsism you know.

It's not about what one believes. Irrespective of one's belief, creationism has no solid ground in science and hence should not be studied in science/biology class. On the other hand, it can (and should) be studied as part of theology / history etc class.

"I'm not afraid of dying, just of not achieving very much before I do." - Emma_Acid

#5    White Crane Feather

White Crane Feather

Forum Divinity

• 11,506 posts

• Potter: " is this real or is this in my mind?"

Dumbledore: " Of course it's in your mind....., but that dosn't mean it's not real."

Posted 13 September 2011 - 02:25 PM

View PostDavid Benjamin, on 13 September 2011 - 06:11 AM, said:

Right wing and left wing politicians ARE THE SAME **EDIT** in the United States of America. They are both right wing capitalist pigs.

You would not be on the Internet without capitalism David, those "pigs" are responsible for our modern conveniences... You know your car, refrigerator, bottled water, burgers, cell phones. Non of it gets innovated without capitalism.

"I wish neither to possess, Nor to be possessed. I no longer covet paradise, more important, I no longer fear hell. The medicine for my suffering I had within me from the very beginning, but I did not take it. My ailment came from within myself, But I did not observe it until this moment. Now I see that I will never find the light.  Unless, like the candle, I am my own fuel, Consuming myself. "
Bruce Lee-

#6    Ashotep

Ashotep

Telekinetic

• 7,465 posts

• Courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway-John Wayne

Posted 13 September 2011 - 03:22 PM

I think you can believe in creationism and still believe in science, technology and climate change.  God gave us a brain, did he not expect us to use it.

#7    TheBanana

TheBanana

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 372 posts

• please dont eat me!

Posted 13 September 2011 - 03:57 PM

i think its dangerous to hide knowledge from people and stop people finding out about science, but instead believe things that science has proved wrong.

my friend posted a link on facebook to a christian website for children and some of it was really really really really really wrong-like saying the world is 6000 years old, fossils are from animals that died in the flood, neanderthals are just people who were ill from "flood related rickets" i think it said, and also that if there is an atheist in town you must tell a parent or priest and stay away from them.  :wacko:

i think its important children know proper scientific facts

*~Kay, Banana Queen and admin of TheMostHauntedForum.com~*

#8    Corp

Corp

Telekinetic

• 6,951 posts

Posted 13 September 2011 - 04:02 PM

I don't see why elements of both theories can't be true. Something must have kicked everything off so why not some kind of God. As for the Bible stories...well you try explaining evolution to people who still aren't sure fire is a good thing or not.

"Bah! Ok I made everything in six days and on the seventh I rested because I got tired of explaining things!"

War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things: the decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth a war, is much worse...A man who has nothing which he is willing to fight for, nothing which he cares more about than he does about his personal safety, is a miserable creature who has no chance of being free, unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself.

#9    seishin

seishin

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 179 posts

• The irrationality of a thing is no argument against its existence, rather a condition of it.
    -Friedrich Nietzsche

Posted 13 September 2011 - 07:34 PM

A phrase most famously used by Supreme Court Justice Black in the case of Everson v. Board of Education. In discussing the Establishment Clause of the First Amendment, Justice Black said that the clause erected a "wall of separation between church and state." He explained that this means, among other things, that the government cannot participate in the affairs of a religious group, set up a church, aid or prefer one religion over another, or aid or prefer religion over nonreligion.

http://www.nolo.com/...state-term.html

Well, as I see it the church participates a heck of a lot in governmental affairs.

Should the church be tax exempt?

Crush the industry, No security
Capital is worthless now
Your life I inside trade

#10    Bluefinger

Bluefinger

I am a Christian, and I understand many don't like that. .

• 4,835 posts

• "You'll know them by their fruits."

Posted 13 September 2011 - 09:43 PM

View PostDavid Benjamin, on 13 September 2011 - 06:11 AM, said:

Slander isn't an argument.

It is not enough to have a good mind.  The main thing is to use it well.     - Descartes

#11    Rafterman

Rafterman

Telekinetic

• 6,791 posts

Posted 13 September 2011 - 09:54 PM

View PostBlood_Sacrifice, on 13 September 2011 - 11:31 AM, said:

It's not about what one believes. Irrespective of one's belief, creationism has no solid ground in science and hence should not be studied in science/biology class. On the other hand, it can (and should) be studied as part of theology / history etc class.

I agree, but it annoys me how this issued is used politically by the left to attack Republicans when there are hundreds of thousands of good Democrats who believe the exact same thing.  Republican Jesus = crazy.  Democrat Jesus = good.

"You can't have freedom of religion without having freedom from the religious beliefs of other people."

#12    DigitalDreamer

DigitalDreamer

Conspiracy Theorist

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 971 posts

Posted 13 September 2011 - 10:13 PM

View PostTHE MATRIX, on 12 September 2011 - 09:37 PM, said:

So your just spitting out anti republican junk huh? Typical lakers fan if you ask me :geek:

Posted Image

#13    David Benjamin

David Benjamin

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 21 posts

Posted 06 March 2012 - 05:30 AM

View PostHilander, on 13 September 2011 - 03:22 PM, said:

I think you can believe in creationism and still believe in science, technology and climate change.  God gave us a brain, did he not expect us to use it.
Lol, when you use your brain you realize where the notion of god comes from and why theists are theists (non logical thought processes). You don't believe in science, science is not a fairy tale, science is based on facts, a fact is real weather you believe in it or not.

#14    Paracelse

Paracelse

Government Agent

• 4,074 posts

Posted 06 March 2012 - 06:40 AM

View PostDavid Benjamin, on 06 March 2012 - 05:30 AM, said:

Lol, when you use your brain you realize where the notion of god comes from and why theists are theists (non logical thought processes). You don't believe in science, science is not a fairy tale, science is based on facts, a fact is real weather you believe in it or not.
Funny what you say:  Einstein made most of his factual discoveries while sleeping, Cardanius was talking to angels.  Those are only two exemples that comes to mind (just woke up).  You make science appear to be a cut and dry thing whereas Tesla had vision of what he discovered.  I do not believe in any religion but you can't remove spiritual experiences from science.  Those who do aren't scientist, they're teachers.

Those who would sacrifice freedom for security deserve neither Benjamin Franklin
République No.6
It's time for a sixth republic.

#15    psyche101

psyche101

Conspiracy Realist

• 31,833 posts

• If you stop to think, Remember to start again

Posted 06 March 2012 - 07:14 AM

I do not think it matters what some nutter group is trying to accomplish. Even if they did manage to somehow overwhelm common sense fossils will still keep coming out of the ground.

The fossil record baby, you cannot deny it. I can crack and creationist over the head with a transitional fossil and ask, what's all this then? No amount of mumbo jumbo can equal the direct proof for evolution, although many stick their heads in the sand, the proof is overwhelming. It can even be observed in mitochondrial DNA. No matter how many books they burn, people have brains, and after the silliness settles down, someone will build another microscope and we will be off and away yet again on the path of truth.

Things are what they are. - Me Reality can't be debunked. That's the beauty of it. - Capeo If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants. - Sir Isaac Newton Let me repeat the lesson learned from the Sturrock scientific review panel: Pack up your old data and forget it. Ufology needs new data, new cases, new rigorous and scientific methodologies if it hopes ever to get out of its pit. - Ed Stewart Youtube is the last refuge of the ignorant and is more often used for disinformation than genuine research.  There is a REASON for PEER REVIEW... - Chrlzs Nothing is inexplicable, just unexplained. - Dr Who

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users