Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Loch Ness monster

• Please log in to reply
52 replies to this topic

#16    WolvenHeart7

WolvenHeart7

Alien Abducter

• 4,616 posts

Posted 15 September 2011 - 01:54 AM

Always a picture that doesn't show anything. Of course. haha

#17    TheDarkerSide

TheDarkerSide

Extraterrestrial Entity

• PipPipPip
  • 450 posts

• It wasn't me!

Posted 15 September 2011 - 02:17 AM

If there is a monster in the Loch would it not have depleted the fish by now! Just a thought

#18    Skeptic Chicken

Skeptic Chicken

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 651 posts

Posted 15 September 2011 - 02:21 AM

View PostTheDarkerSide, on 15 September 2011 - 02:17 AM, said:

If there is a monster in the Loch would it not have depleted the fish by now! Just a thought
Maybe it's herbivorous or omniviorous? Living in a compact environment like that, it could adapt to nomming on the usual reed like other fish :P (I don't know what fish eat :P)

My User Name is a loving memory of how much I want to know about the worlds secrets, that I forgot to look up the definition of "skeptical" before I made my account.

#19    Spectre1979

Spectre1979

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 531 posts

Posted 15 September 2011 - 02:27 AM

View PostAliveInDeath, on 15 September 2011 - 01:54 AM, said:

Always a picture that doesn't show anything. Of course. haha

That's what makes it true.  :rofl:

There are things known, and things unknown and in between are the Doors!

#20    karmaCrystal

karmaCrystal

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 562 posts

Posted 15 September 2011 - 02:48 AM

ummm since when did a sturgeon get a long skinny neck? that comes out of the water like a dino?

Edited by cateyes221981, 15 September 2011 - 02:51 AM.

#21    Star.rager

Star.rager

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 27 posts

• "..But we try to pretend, you see, that the world exists altogether independently of us." -Alan Watts

Posted 15 September 2011 - 03:29 AM

I agree with the scientists. Honestly if it's too questionable to call it real, throw it out. Wishful thinking, and would be awesome to find out the truth, but Lake Loch has been swept a LOT, and if there was something, it would have been found by now.
NOW, that's not to say the swimming beast couldn't be somewhere else.... :)

#22    Abramelin

Abramelin

-

• 18,180 posts
  • Location:"Here the tide is ruled, by the wind, the moon and us."

• God created the world, but the Dutch created the Netherlands

Posted 15 September 2011 - 06:42 AM

View Postcateyes221981, on 15 September 2011 - 02:48 AM, said:

ummm since when did a sturgeon get a long skinny neck? that comes out of the water like a dino?

When did that happen??

#23    _Only

_Only

• 6,782 posts

• Did you ever grow anything in the garden of your mind? You can grow ideas, in the garden of your mind. - Mr. Rogers

Posted 15 September 2011 - 07:01 AM

View PostAbramelin, on 15 September 2011 - 06:42 AM, said:

When did that happen??

They're referring to the original famous photo of Loch Ness monster; not this one in the thread.

And sorry to go a wee bit off topic, but someone said earlier that the old Nessie picture has been revealed as a fake? I hadn't heard about that; any links? Very intriguing.

*edit* - I see what they were referring to about the hoax after a quick Wikipedia read. Never knew that.

Also never knew that in 2003, the BBC held a monster hunt to end all monster hunts to find it in the Loch Ness, and found nothing there.

In 2003, the BBC sponsored a full search of the Loch using 600 separate sonar beams and satellite tracking. The search had enough resolution to pick up a small buoy. No animal of any substantial size was found whatsoever and despite high hopes, the scientists involved in the expedition admitted that this essentially proved the Loch Ness monster was only a myth.

Well, I learned a few things today.

Edited by Jerry Only, 15 September 2011 - 07:16 AM.

"I think there may be "ghost phenomenon" that may be still not fully understood or dismissed, but that doesn't make it spirits of the dead, anymore than "UFO" means "spaceship" or even "UFO" or "spaceship" is directly related to aliens, or anything else. There is way too much assumption and a baseless reliance on anecdotal lore, like when people assert this or that about the spirit world or the astral plane or Ouija board demons, or religion. I say 'says WHO?'" - Paranormalcy

#24    Abramelin

Abramelin

-

• 18,180 posts
  • Location:"Here the tide is ruled, by the wind, the moon and us."

• God created the world, but the Dutch created the Netherlands

Posted 15 September 2011 - 08:03 AM

View PostJerry Only, on 15 September 2011 - 07:01 AM, said:

They're referring to the original famous photo of Loch Ness monster; not this one in the thread.

And sorry to go a wee bit off topic, but someone said earlier that the old Nessie picture has been revealed as a fake? I hadn't heard about that; any links? Very intriguing.

*edit* - I see what they were referring to about the hoax after a quick Wikipedia read. Never knew that.

Also never knew that in 2003, the BBC held a monster hunt to end all monster hunts to find it in the Loch Ness, and found nothing there.

Well, I learned a few things today.

Ah yes, this photo:

Posted Image

And yes, I even saw a documentary on Discovery Channel a long time ago where they showed how the hoax was created: they used a similar model - the head and neck of the 'dino' and part of its body, nailed on a plank -  and let it float on the lake, and then made a photo.

The photo was exactly the same as the famous one.

#25    Nufc1966

Nufc1966

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 88 posts

Posted 15 September 2011 - 02:18 PM

View Postcateyes221981, on 15 September 2011 - 02:48 AM, said:

I think the original 'Dino' photo was pretty much shown to be a fake, in fact, I'm sure the Doctor who took the photo in the 30s admitted as much to his family - I'll need to check the details on that. There have been a number of investigations of Loch Ness over the years using water penetrating radar instruments etc and there has never been anything of any size found. Although Loch Ness is a huge lake, it doesn't have a great population of fish and I think the common consent is that there would not be enough food to support what would really need to be a family of 'Dino' creatures. As far as sturgeon go, they can be big and very strange looking with what appear to be lumps across the back so I could see why a large Sturgeon could be mistaken for some kind of Monster. Don't get me wrong, I'd be delighted If Nessie were real, but I think the investigations over many years by both scientist and monster hunters have shown that it's very very unlikely.

Edited by Nufc1966, 15 September 2011 - 02:20 PM.

#26    Blackwhite

Blackwhite

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,081 posts

• I am minuspeptic, frasmotic, even compunctuous to have caused you such pericabobulations.

Posted 15 September 2011 - 05:00 PM

View PostDan Dare, on 13 September 2011 - 07:52 PM, said:

What do you think it might be?

The Loch Ness Monster.

#27    Taut

Taut

Apparition

• Closed
  • PipPip
  • 370 posts

Posted 15 September 2011 - 05:29 PM

Well, I was fine with light and perspective.  I've seen lots of large fish, including sturgeon and have quite a few pictures of them coming to the boat after being hooked.
It don't look like a sturgeon to me.  For those to be the ridge spines on the sturgeon's back it would have to be huge, way more huge than they already are, and you would definitely see the rest of the fish if it was that close to the surface.

It doesn't look that large to me, but there's nothing to scale it too.  My guess-- large eel and I can't rule out some photoshop work, the light patches look funny for the lighting.

Edited by Taut, 15 September 2011 - 05:37 PM.

#28    Smithers

Smithers

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 186 posts

• Babies have big heads and big eyes, and tiny little bodies with tiny little arms and legs. So did the aliens at Roswell! I rest my case.

Posted 15 September 2011 - 06:54 PM

If anyone second guesses anything, it's fake until proven otherwise. Personally... it doesn't look like "Nessie" to me.

#29    _Only

_Only

• 6,782 posts

• Did you ever grow anything in the garden of your mind? You can grow ideas, in the garden of your mind. - Mr. Rogers

Posted 15 September 2011 - 06:57 PM

View PostSmithers, on 15 September 2011 - 06:54 PM, said:

If anyone second guesses anything, it's fake until proven otherwise. Personally... it doesn't look like "Nessie" to me.

Then the moon landing was faked, I knew it!!  :lol:

"I think there may be "ghost phenomenon" that may be still not fully understood or dismissed, but that doesn't make it spirits of the dead, anymore than "UFO" means "spaceship" or even "UFO" or "spaceship" is directly related to aliens, or anything else. There is way too much assumption and a baseless reliance on anecdotal lore, like when people assert this or that about the spirit world or the astral plane or Ouija board demons, or religion. I say 'says WHO?'" - Paranormalcy

#30    Taut

Taut

Apparition

• Closed
  • PipPip
  • 370 posts

Posted 16 September 2011 - 12:14 AM

View PostJerry Only, on 15 September 2011 - 06:57 PM, said:

Then the moon landing was faked, I knew it!!  :lol:

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users